Who is your favourite member of the Spanish Royal Family?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Who is your favourite member of the Spanish royal family?

• Juan Carlos

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Sofia (the Queen)

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Felipe

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • Letizia

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Leonor

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • Sofia (the Infanta)

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Elena

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Cristina

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • other

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
Leidi, the problem is that the Spanish Royal House has nothing to do with the Dutch, neither the Spanish society and press is like the Dutch. If Letizia did in Spain, what Maxima does, the reality is that the criticisms would be fierce.

In Holland, Maxima plays a role that only she has ... in Spain Letizia has a mother in law and two sisters in law who have developed this role for decades.

I believe that many Spanish people, and especially many Spanish women, feel some frustration because the princess does not develop her own agenda as develop other European princess. But that is a decision of the King, not of Letizia... and that is what the press does not dare to say, because it is easier to blame her.

The Royal House has imposed Letizia's role should be less than the role of the queen... and while they do not give neither liberty nor the resources to develop her own activities, she is very limited.

I don't think it's about limitations for Letizia, the agenda she has so far is good enough in my opinion, the problem is that she looks too "forced" sometimes, specially when she isn't with Felipe, the reason why she hasn't been given free reign is because she might come off too strong in certain issues I think.

Also since she's not as liked as the Queen for example then the royal household prefers to keep her in a lower profile, I believe they are trying to strenghten Felipe AND Letizia as a couple, as a team and that could also be a reason for not having a strong agenda of her own.

That said, she has proven to be a far better consort than the Infantas' husbands, whom have taken advantage of a lot of things, the three of them are now the RF scapegoats and everything will be blamed on them but it also comes from the fact that they are the "weakest" link, the King will try to save his own neck and his children's before saving the in-laws so they are thrown to the metaphorical sharks.

Letizia's family aren't helping much either, with the cheating-in-exams mother and the tell-it-all cousin and so on and on. They should help her in this time, not bring her down.

My favorite member of the Spanish Royal family is Prince Felipe.

My favourite member of the Spanish Royal Family is Queen Sofia. I also like Princess Letizia, Infanta Leonor, Infanta Sofia and Irene Urdangarin.

I used to quite like Letizia and did follow her events avidly but over the past year or two I've gone right off her.I also did quite like Cristina too but she's been crossed off my royal watchers list :D

I voted for Prince Felipe . . . I'm hoping to see him become King in the near future! ;)

I used to quite like Letizia and did follow her events avidly but over the past year or two I've gone right off her.I also did quite like Cristina too but she's been crossed off my royal watchers list :D

I used to like Cristina and her husband Inaki. She was such a beautiful bride, the most beautiful in the SRF imo and she and Inaki seemed so glamorous and in love. And their kids were simply adorable.

Then came the NOOS scandal, and I started hearing all these stories about how she has always been a spoiled, entitled brat, how she stalked Inaki until he dumped his girlfriend for her, etc. I was shocked. :eek:

Now I don't have any real favorites in the SRF-unless you can count the gorgeous children in the family.

The adults are all either a turnoff, a disappointment, or simply depress me.:ohmy:

In different circumstances F&L would have had good chances to become the golden couple of Spain, a position that according to the poll is occupied these days by Iker & Sara :closedeye

Sara was among the most unpopular too. The polls are jokes, why take it seriously ? If you are beautiful and famous like Sara, Penelope and Letizia, you are likely among the most loved and hated at the same time, that's Spain.

Last edited:
Also since she's not as liked as the Queen for example then the royal household prefers to keep her in a lower profile, I believe they are trying to strenghten Felipe AND Letizia as a couple, as a team and that could also be a reason for not having a strong agenda of her own.

I thought exactly the opposite. With JC's 'ME ME first' mentality, Zarzuela is very afraid of Felipe and Letizia becoming a golden couple, totally overshadowing JC and Sofia, prompting more people to want JC to abdicate that JC always hates so much. Zarzuela had tried to limit Letizia's role since day one, she was the 4th option (after queen and infantas) before Cristina moved to DC, both infantas with the support of their father thought they were more important than Letizia. Not Letizia couldn't do her princess job, they were afraid she would become too good (Diana with the love of her husband) since she has always been a gifted speaker, has a good communication with ordinary Spaniards. Even these days, when JC is ill, Sofia looks tired, when the mainstream media in Spain asked the Palace to give Letizia a bigger role a couple of months ago following her excellent speech on the crisis, the reply from the Palace was she needed to wait for her turn until she became queen.
Indeed Felipe has a bigger role now, that's probably not the choice of the Palace, because his father is not healthy, still can't work full time yet, if Felipe doesn't work, who is going to work ?

Last edited:
Queen Sofia, Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia are my favorite of the family.

Queen Sofia has been through a lot yet still is standing string supporting the monarchy and the King.

Prince Felipe and Letizia are the golden couple who need to be given more power, more strength to really shine and stand out but so far thats not on the agenda of the palace. Many have said Letizia has a strong personality but even if she does, there is no use of holding her back when she can lift the image and do good for the family.

I guess now the palace is focusing on the King to improve his image.

With JC's 'ME ME first' mentality, Zarzuela is very afraid of Felipe and Letizia becoming a golden couple, totally overshadowing JC and Sofia, prompting more people to want JC to abdicate that JC always hates so much.

Juan Carlos has invested his life into Spain, I can perfectly well see why he is acting this way. Nobody in his shoes would give up what he built over the decades to hand it over to a boy who has married the wrong woman (a supposed quote from Juan Carlos). I am amazed that people think that Juan Carlos' abdication would be a good move for Spain at this stage.

The polls are jokes, why take it seriously ?

I am sure if the poll would have said that Letizia is the most loved woman in Spain it would have been taken as seriously as it can get :innocent: :whistling:

Juan Carlos has invested his life into Spain, I can perfectly well see why he is acting this way. Nobody in his shoes would give up what he built over the decades to hand it over to a boy who has married the wrong woman (a supposed quote from Juan Carlos). I am amazed that people think that Juan Carlos' abdication would be a good move for Spain at this stage.

JC was also rumored to say himself married the wrong woman (Sofia). No matter he said it or not (he has always been a man with a big, bad mouth), I guess JC is the last person to declare if anyone marries a right woman or not. JC is a man with an inflated ego, his anger over people asking him to abdicate has nothing to do with whoever his son is married to. If JC continues in and out of hospital, he should consider retiring. The situation is bad now, it could be rotten in the future for the monarch, most people don't see how JC is going to greatly improve his image no matter how hard he tries, how much resource Zarzuela is putting in.

I am sure if the poll would have said that Letizia is the most loved woman in Spain it would have been taken as seriously as it can get :innocent: :whistling:

Really ? Anyone here takes online polls seriously ? Do you know that Letizia was voted the woman most desired/loved by men in Spain in an online poll not long ago ? Of course Paloma Barrientos' website wouldn't mention it.

Last edited:
I thought exactly the opposite. With JC's 'ME ME first' mentality, Zarzuela is very afraid of Felipe and Letizia becoming a golden couple, totally overshadowing JC and Sofia, prompting more people to want JC to abdicate that JC always hates so much. Zarzuela had tried to limit Letizia's role since day one, she was the 4th option (after queen and infantas) before Cristina moved to DC, both infantas with the support of their father thought they were more important than Letizia. Not Letizia couldn't do her princess job, they were afraid she would become too good (Diana with the love of her husband) since she has always been a gifted speaker, has a good communication with ordinary Spaniards. Even these days, when JC is ill, Sofia looks tired, when the mainstream media in Spain asked the Palace to give Letizia a bigger role a couple of months ago following her excellent speech on the crisis, the reply from the Palace was she needed to wait for her turn until she became queen.
Indeed Felipe has a bigger role now, that's probably not the choice of the Palace, because his father is not healthy, still can't work full time yet, if Felipe doesn't work, who is going to work ?

Well written. I think Zarzuela hasn't done a good work for the future of the monarchy in Spain by not giving important role for Felipe and Letizia right after they got married. Things are getting better now since Felipe has given a bigger role, I guess mostly due to his father's illness.

I like and admire Letizia very much, but my favourite member of the royal family is prince Felipe, because of his readiness to be a king, his dignity and his love for his wife and family, which he doesn't hesitate to show to everyone.

Now I don't have any real favorites in the SRF-unless you can count the gorgeous children in the family.

I quite like The Queen,Prince Felipe and the Infantas Elena,Pilar and Margarita.I do admire the King ,but not sure if I 'like' him as a person ;)

An Ard Ri, I am in the same boat as you. As a leader and as a king, JC's efforts on behalf of Spain have been close to beyond reproach and I admire that about him.

As a man, particularly as a husband I think he has been rather lousy even by old school Royal standards.

L'oreal attitude

I am puzzled, or maybe dense:whistling: (more likely the latter than the former :)! )

But could Duke or others explain to me what actions Letizia has undertaken that show the " ME ...ME...ME"/ "l'oreal attitude".

It has been mentioned in many posts in this thread but for the life of me, I cannot see how Leti has shown that attitude...or...failed to conduct herself in the tight boundaries that JC and grey men have dictated.

The "Let me finish" comment is always drudged up. But it is one single quip, in her first outing, and her we are almost 10 years later, still crucifying her for that quip and raking her over the goals. It never amazes me how that one comment is used to pigeon-hole her so often and so firmly!

All the work she has done since to be an adjunct to Felipe, be supportive of him, never outshine him etc is all brushed under the carpet.

I wonder how each of us would fare in our own lives of people, - our family, our bosses, our employers etc continue to hold one comment of ours over our head all the time, and disregard the rest of our work, our effort or our lives.

I pity Letizia in many ways. She has no option but to put up with this. But in real life, women have the option to walk away from such employers/bosses.

Letizia for sure, but I also love Leonor and Sofia! The big trio!

Letizia, Felipe, Leonor, Sofia and Queen Sofia

I like Felipe. I like the fact that he decided to use his first name as his regnal name. There has not been a King Felipe of Spain since King Felipe V.

I like King Philip VI, Queen Letizia and her daughters. I also like the kings Juan Carlos and Sofia.

I like all of them, with the possible exception of Cristina. The Infantas are very sweet. I think Queen Sofia has had to put up with a lot. As however I can't vote for more than one, I picked Letizia for the shallow reason that she almost always looks elegant and well put together!

Hard to say altough Felipe, Letizia, Leonor and Sofia are pretty close of my favorites in Spanish royal family. Least probably would are Cristina and Juan Carlos.

Back
Top Bottom