Titles of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Veering off the topic ...
I chatted with a Spaniard, who mentioned that Don Jaime (not Infanta Elena) can leave the title in question to whoever he wants. I am not sure if it is true.

It is great that Infanta Cristina's eldest son will inherit her title.

Don Jaime doesn't have a title,his brother is the Count and Infanta Cristina is no longer a Duchess.

Don Jaime doesn't have a title,his brother is the Count and Infanta Cristina is no longer a Duchess.

Also, the duchies given to the Infantas, and by extension their husband and ex-husband, were given for life. The titles cannot be passed on to their children. Doña Cristina'a former title should already have been restored to the crown. Doña Elena's title will be restored to the crown when she dies as is the case for the titles given to the Infantas Pilar and Margarita by King Juan Carlos.

Infanta Margarita's dukedom of Hernani can be passed and her son HE Don Alfonso Juan Carlos Zurita will inherit this title.The dukedom of Soria will revert to the Crown.

Infanta Pilars late husband Don Luis also held the personal title of Viscount de la Torre which was inherited by his eldest son ,HE Don Juan Filiberto Nicolás Gómez-Acebo in 1991 following the death of Don Luis.

The infantas were granted Life peerages upon marriage, meaning neither Lugo or Palma could be inherited. Their kids are don/donna as kids of infantas and that is all they will be.

Anyone may be addressed as Don/Doña or Señor/Señora, but the children of Infantas and Infantes have the special treatment of Excelencia (or Excelentísimo Señor/Excelentísima Señora).

Art. 4.º
Los hijos de los Infantes de España tendrán la consideración de Grandes de España, sin que ello dé origen a un tratamiento especial distinto del de Excelencia.
BOE.es - Documento BOE-A-1987-25284

Can the titles of Count of Molina, Count of Montemolin, and Count of Montizon still be used in the Spanish Royal Family?

Those are titles used by Carlist claimant and I cannot see them being granted by the current King of Spain.

I have two questions for the experts on this forum:

1. The Royal Decree 1368/87 says that: "Los hijos de los Infantes de España tendrán la consideración de Grandes de España". Does that mean they actually are Grandees of Spain, or just that they are entitled to the same honors and styles of a grandee ? The text seems confusing to me.
  2. As far as I understand, the heir to a grandeeship is also entitled to the style of Excelentísimo Senõr, whereas the younger children of a (hereditary) grandee are styled Ilustrísimo Senõr. Assuming the interpretation that the children of the infantas (like Felipe Juan Froilán for example) are (non-hereditary) grandees, will their children be entitled to the same style as children of (hereditary) grandees ? Similarly, would their spouses also have the style of Excelentísimo Señor or Excelentísima Señora ?

Last edited:
I have two questions for the experts on this forum:

1. The Royal Decree 1368/87 says that: "Los hijos de los Infantes de España tendrán la consideración de Grandes de España". Does that mean they actually are Grandees of Spain, or just that they are entitled to the same honors and styles of a grandee ? The text seems confusing to me.
  2. As far as I understand, the heir to a grandeeship is also entitled to the style of Excelentísimo Senõr, whereas the younger children of a (hereditary) grandee are styled Ilustrísimo Senõr. Assuming the interpretation that the children of the infantas (like Felipe Juan Froilán for example) are (non-hereditary) grandees, will their children be entitled to the same style as children of (hereditary) grandees ? Similarly, would their spouses also have the style of Excelentísimo Señor or Excelentísima Señora ?

While I am no expert and am unable to answer your questions, you might be interested in seeing the styles that the various children-in-law and grandchildren of Infantas and Infantes were given at the wedding of the Prince of Asturias to Letizia Ortiz.

http://www.casareal.es/ES/Documents/boda/info/InvitadosCatedral.pdf

Spouses of children of Infantas/Infantes:

Excmo. Señor Don José Miguel Fernández Sastrón [son-in-law of Infanta Pilar]
Excma. Señora Doña Bárbara Cano de la Plaza [daughter-in-law of Infanta Pilar]
Excma. Señora Doña Emanuela Pratolongo, Viuda de Borbón Dampierre [daughter-in-law of Infante Jaime]
Excma. Señora Blagena Svitakova [daughter-in-law of Infanta Beatriz]

Grandchildren of Infantas/Infantes:

Excmo. Señor Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú [grandson of Infante Jaime]
Excmo. Señor Don Alvaro Jaime de Orleans-Borbón y Parodi Delfino [grandson of Infante Alfonso de Orleans]
Señor Don Juan de Bagration y Ulloa [grandson of Infanta Mercedes]

Spouses of grandchildren of Infantas/Infantes:

Excma. Señora Doña Giovanna San Martino d'Aglie di San Germano [wife of Alvaro Jaime de Orleans-Borbón]
Señora Doña Floriane del Río y Thorn [wife of Juan de Bagration]

It is worth mentioning that in Spanish law, the fathers of Luis Alfonso and Alvaro Jaime were Royal Highnesses, albeit not Infantes, whereas Juan's father was neither a Royal Highness nor an Infante.

None of us are experts Tatiana Maria but thanks for taking the time and explaining all that ,Spanish titles are not the easiest to explain!

While I am no expert and am unable to answer your questions, you might be interested in seeing the styles that the various children-in-law and grandchildren of Infantas and Infantes were given at the wedding of the Prince of Asturias to Letizia Ortiz.

http://www.casareal.es/ES/Documents/boda/info/InvitadosCatedral.pdf

Spouses of children of Infantas/Infantes:

Excma. Señora Doña Emanuela Pratolongo, Viuda de Borbón Dampierre [daughter-in-law of Infante Jaime]

Grandchildren of Infantas/Infantes:

Excmo. Señor Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú [grandson of Infante Jaime]
Excmo. Señor Don Alvaro Jaime de Orleans-Borbón y Parodi Delfino [grandson of Infante Alfonso de Orleans]

Spouses of grandchildren of Infantas/Infantes:

Excma. Señora Doña Giovanna San Martino d'Aglie di San Germano [wife of Alvaro Jaime de Orleans-Borbón]
Señora Doña Floriane del Río y Thorn [wife of Juan de Bagration]

It is worth mentioning that in Spanish law, the fathers of Luis Alfonso and Alvaro Jaime were Royal Highnesses, albeit not Infantes, whereas Juan's father was neither a Royal Highness nor an Infante.

Thank you very much, Tatiana. That was very helpful !

I don't understand why D. Luis Alfonso de Borbón would be an Excmo. Sr. in Spain in 2004. I suppose he would have this style by right today, as his mother, if I am not mistaken, is now a grandee of Spain (having become the 2nd Duchess of Franco) and, as the heir to the dukedom and the grandeeship, he is entitled to the style of Excelencia, but, again, that wasn't the case yet in 2004. Since D. Luis is not a knight grand cross of a Spanish order either and, as far as I know, doesn't hold any high public office in Spain, I guess the only explanation for him to be referred to as Excmo. Sr. at his cousin's wedding must be the fact that his father was an HRH in Spain.

Nevertheless, that is still irregular. The royal decree 1368/1987 deals with two classes of children of HRHs:

1. Children of the Prince or Princess of Asturias, who are infantes/infantas of Spain and HRHs themselves.
  2. Children of infantes/infantas of Spain, who are considered grandees of Spain and, by implication, bear the style of Excmo. Sr. or Excma. Sra. , which is also extended by courtesy to their consorts.
Members of the family of King Juan Carlos who previously held a title of nobility belonging to the Royal House and the style of HRH, as was the case with Luis Alfonso's father, were allowed by the royal decree to keep their titles and styles while they were alive, but those titles and styles were explicitly barred from being extended to their spouses or transmitted to their descendants. Hence, D. Luis is neither an HRH, nor Duke of Cádiz in Spain. He is not a grandee either, as his father's grandeeship was also non-transmissible. And, since his father was not an infante, category 2 above doesn't apply either.

So, the mystery thickens. Any theory to clarify it ?

Last edited:
Thank you very much, Tatiana. That was very helpful !

I don't understand why D. Luis Alfonso de Borbón would be an Excmo. Sr. in Spain in 2004. I suppose he would have this style by right today, as his mother, if I am not mistaken, is now a grandee of Spain (having become the 2nd Duchess of Franco) and, as the heir to the dukedom and the grandeeship, he is entitled to the style of Excelencia, but, again, that wasn't the case yet in 2004. Since D. Luis is not a knight grand cross of a Spanish order either and, as far as I know, doesn't hold any high public office in Spain, I guess the only explanation for him to be referred to as Excmo. Sr. at his cousin's wedding must be the fact that his father was an HRH in Spain.

Nevertheless, that is still irregular. The royal decree 1368/1987 deals with two classes of children of HRHs:

1. Children of the Prince or Princess of Asturias, who are infantes/infantas of Spain and HRHs themselves.
  2. Children of infantes/infantas of Spain, who are considered grandees of Spain and, by implication, bear the style of Excmo. Sr. or Excma. Sra. , which is also extended by courtesy to their consorts.
Members of the family of King Juan Carlos who previously held a title of nobility belonging to the Royal House and the style of HRH, as was the case with Luis Alfonso's father, were allowed by the royal decree to keep their titles and styles while they were alive, but those titles and styles were explicitly barred from being extended to their spouses or transmitted to their descendants. Hence, D. Luis is neither an HRH, nor Duke of Cádiz in Spain. He is not a grandee either, as his father's grandeeship was also non-transmissible. And, since his father was not an infante, category 2 above doesn't apply either.

So, the mystery thickens. Any theory to clarify it ?

You're welcome! You are probably more knowledgeable than I am on the matter, but here are my ideas.

1. Was Luis Alfonso recognized as Excmo. Sr. by King Juan Carlos before 1987, in which case, as you mentioned, he would be allowed by the royal decree 1368/1987 to retain it?

2. Are children of non-hereditary grandees entitled to the same styles as children of hereditary grandees? (For comparison, in Britain, children of life barons enjoy the same styles as children of hereditary barons.) This theory could not apply to Alvaro Jaime de Orleans-Borbón being Excmo. Sr., as his father was not a Spanish duke. But his father was granted the same rank and honors as an Infante, and I wonder if that implies that his children were entitled to be addressed as children of Infantes.

The only people titled Prince and Princess in Spain are the Prince and Princess of Asturias.

That used to be the precedent, but many people in Spain descended from the Royal Family have claimed the title of Prince/ss, with or without recognition.

Last edited:
How does one say "you" (or the equivalent thereof) in Spanish to:

1) The King/Queen of Spain and his//her consort;

2) The Prince/Princess of Asturias;

3) Infantes/infantas of Spain;

and

4) Children of infantes/infantas of Spain ?

Just to clarify, as an illustrative example, I would to like to know how to ask e.g. "Did you enjoy your summer holidays ? " in Spanish to each of the persons named above.

Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
'Usted'; the formal you is frequently used and would be used for most people you don't personally know, so it would certainly be appropriate for the (adult) members of the royal family.

In practice you can leave out the usted and just use the 3rd person singular of the verb (you would use 2nd person singular if you intended to use the informal 'tu').

'Usted'; the formal you is frequently used and would be used for most people you don't personally know, so it would certainly be appropriate for the (adult) members of the royal family.

In practice you can leave out the usted and just use the 3rd person singular of the verb (you would use 2nd person singular if you intended to use the informal 'tu').

Are you sure ? I was under the impression that the King should never be addressed as Usted since Usted ( = Vuestra Merced) is a lower form of address than Vuestra Majestad ( Your Majesty) . I noticed that , in some speeches, Prince Felipe used second person plural forms to address his father , but the goal of my message is to find out what the official recommended usage is.

Are you sure ? I was under the impression that the King should never be addressed as Usted since Usted ( = Vuestra Merced) is a lower form of address than Vuestra Majestad ( Your Majesty) . I noticed that , in some speeches, Prince Felipe used second person plural forms to address his father , but the goal of my message is to find out what the official recommended usage

Looks like you are right.

Wikipedia provides the following explanation:
*Majestad*es el tratamiento protocolario que designa el Real Decreto 1368/1987.​ En lengua oral, sin embargo, es usado el de*señor. Si se emplea la dignidad mayestática, el tiempo empleado debe ser la segunda persona del plural; por el contrario, si se emplea*señor, se emplea la tercera persona del singular. En ningún caso debe ser tratado de usted.

What still stands is the use of the third person singular when just asking a question without the need to insert anything (per your example), if the specifically wanted to address him first, señor, would be appropriate.

Only in very official occassion the second person plural would be used (as you noticed).

Now, there's only one case in recent history that comes to my mind of a bastard being given a royal title, that being Leandro Alfonso Luis de Borbón Ruiz Austria, the illegitimate half-uncle of former Spanish King Juan Carlos, who was granted the right to use the title of Infante by court order on May 21, 2003. That was only possible because the Spanish judiciary willed it (and it surely didn't hurt that Leandro had a warm relationship with his nephew; it also didn't hurt that Leandro was a royal bastard rather than just the bastard of a royal—the distinction there being that a royal bastard is the illegitimate child of a sovereign (Alfonso XIII, in Leandro's case)).

I have only read that Leandro was given the name of Borbón, and not a title; do you have a source for the latter?

http://www.elmundo.es/cronica/2003/398/1054464138.html

Actually, under current Spanish law (royal decree 1368/1987), the King of Spain can exceptionally extend the dignity of Infante to any person he deems worthy, with the caveat that those so-called "infantes de gracia" bear the style of Highness only, as opposed to Royal Highness.

At the risk of creating another tangent: Is the Spanish title infante de gracia then roughly equivalent to the French title légitimé? Well, of course not generally, seeing as it can be granted to anyone, but when granted to a (legitimized) bastard, would they then be somewhat equivalent?

I'm not sure the terms are comparable given that "de gracia" is not a title as such, but rather a term indicating that the individual was not entitled in common law to the title of Infante, but was granted it by the grace of the Sovereign.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/infantes.htm

I have only read that Leandro was given the name of Borbón, and not a title; do you have a source for the latter?

http://www.elmundo.es/cronica/2003/398/1054464138.html
I was mistaken. Leandro was never given the title of Infante.

I'm not sure the terms are comparable given that "de gracia" is not a title as such, but rather a term indicating that the individual was not entitled in common law to the title of Infante, but was granted it by the grace of the Sovereign.

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/royalty/infantes.htm
"Légitimé" wasn't really a title either, though, but rather a shortening of "prince légitimé", wherein "légitimé" serves as a qualifier indicating the the prince in question, unlike the princes du sang (who were all legitimate), was a legitimized bastard. Either way, that is still not a categorical equivalence, nor did I mean it to be. Rather, I was pondering about whether, in the hypothetical case of a Spanish royal bastard who was granted the title of Infante by the Sovereign's grace, in that specified case might the entitlement be similar in principle (that is, to say, someone who is not entitled in virtue of the regular rules becomes so by special dispensation).

Infanta Margarita's dukedom of Hernani can be passed and her son HE Don Alfonso Juan Carlos Zurita will inherit this title.The dukedom of Soria will revert to the Crown.

Infanta Pilars late husband Don Luis also held the personal title of Viscount de la Torre which was inherited by his eldest son ,HE Don Juan Filiberto Nicolás Gómez-Acebo in 1991 following the death of Don Luis.

I understand Don Juan is an HE ( or Excelentísimo Señor) because he is a son of an infanta of Spain and, therefore, is given the same style of a grandee. However, if I am not mistaken, his hereditary title of viscount is not attached to a grandeeship of Spain. Does that mean that his heir ( the future viscount) will be only Ilustrísimo Señor ?

Infanta Pilar's husband was styled His Excellency,Don Luis Gómez-Acebo,Duke consort of Badajoz ,Grande de España & Vizconde de la Torre during his lifetime.

Infanta Pilar's husband was styled His Excellency,Don Luis Gómez-Acebo,Duke consort of Badajoz ,Grande de España & Vizconde de la Torre during his lifetime.

Maybe his HE was acquired by marriage. Again I don’t think the title of Vuscount de La Torre is attached to a grandeeship, but I may be wrong . Does anybody know ?

I understand Don Juan is an HE ( or Excelentísimo Señor) because he is a son of an infanta of Spain and, therefore, is given the same style of a grandee. However, if I am not mistaken, his hereditary title of viscount is not attached to a grandeeship of Spain. Does that mean that his heir ( the future viscount) will be only Ilustrísimo Señor ?
Maybe his HE was acquired by marriage. Again I don’t think the title of Vuscount de La Torre is attached to a grandeeship, but I may be wrong . Does anybody know ?

I agree. Which titles are attached to grandeeships can be looked up from the Diputacion de la Grandeza's search form.
» Guía de Títulos

The infantas were granted Life peerages upon marriage, meaning neither Lugo or Palma could be inherited. Their kids are don/donna as kids of infantas and that is all they will be.

In today's Spain, even commoners may be called Doña/Don. Children of Infantas/Infantes, assuming they do not enjoy royal status themselves, may be styled with the special honorific Su Excelencia Doña/Don or Excelentísima Señora Doña/Excelentísimo Señor Don.

Wasnt the duKe of Calabria created an Infante by the King in recognition for being the heir to spain at one time? That might explain why his wife is not an infanta

By the Royal Decree 1368/1987 of King Juan Carlos, the children of the King/Queen (apart from the Prince/Princess of Asturias) and the children of the Prince/Princess of Asturias are automatically qualified as Infanta/Infante of Spain, but otherwise, new grants of the title of Infanta/Infante are to be made in "exceptional circumstances" only. (ETA: This represented a substantial change from the tradition of creating all dynastic spouses of Infantas/Infantes and dynastic grandchildren of reigning kings and queens Infanta/Infante.)

According to the Royal Decree creating HRH Carlos de Borbón-Dos Sicilias an Infante of Spain, the "exceptional circumstances" were that he was the representative of a dynastic line connected historically to the Crown of Spain. I suppose no "exceptional circumstances" were relevant to his wife, and she was not created an Infanta for that reason.

The current Infantas of Spain (by birth). are:
  • Infanta Elena, Duchess of Lugo (eldest daughter of Juan Carlos and Sofía, King and Queen of Spain);
  • Infanta Cristina, Duchess of Palma de Mallorca (youngest daughter of Juan Carlos and Sofía, King and Queen of Spain);
  • Infanta Leonor of Spain (eldest daughter of Felipe and Letizia, Princes of Asturias);
  • Infanta Sofia of Spain (younger daughter of Felipe and Letizia, Princes of Asturias);
  • Infanta Pilar, Duchess of Badajoz (eldest sister of King Juan Carlos of Spain);
  • Infanta Margarita, Duchess of Soria (youngest sister of King Juan Carlos of Spain);

All of the Infantas/Infantes are "of Spain", although the territorial designation is typically unused within the country.

Los hijos del Rey que no tengan la condición de Príncipe o Princesa de Asturias y los hijos de este Príncipe o Princesa serán Infantes de España y recibirán el tratamiento de Alteza Real. Sus consortes, mientras lo sean o permanezcan viudos, tendrán el tratamiento y honores que el Rey, por vía de gracia, les conceda en uso de la facultad que le atribuye el apartado f) del artículo 62 de la Constitución.

https://www.boe.es/buscar/doc.php?id=BOE-A-1987-25284

Last edited:
One thing I'm not sure if if the future wife of HE Don Felipe de Marichalar can be styled HE Doña X ?

One thing I'm not sure if if the future wife of HE Don Felipe de Marichalar can be styled HE Doña X ?

I am not sure either, but I think she can. Normally the wife of a grandee is also entitled to the style of Excellency. The text of the Royal Decree is somewhat ambiguous because it doesn't explicitly say that the children of Infantes are grandees; instead, the text only says that the children of Infantes enjoy "the consideration of grandees". In practical terms, most legal experts I researched say there is no difference, except that the "consideration of grandee" is not hereditary. Hence, Froilán's children for example won't be HEs.

Yes, she would be. At the wedding of the Prince and Princess of Asturias in 2004, all spouses of non-royal children of Infantas were styled Excma. Señora/Excmo. Señor.

Children of Infantas:

Excma. Señora Doña Simoneta Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Juan Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón
Vizconde de la Torre [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Bruno Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Fernando Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excma. Señora Doña María Zurita y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta Margarita]

Excma. Señora Doña Sandra Torlonia
Condesa Lequio di Assaba [daughter of Infanta Beatriz]

Excmo. Señor Don Marco Torlonia
Príncipe de Civitella-Cesi [son of Infanta Beatriz]

Excma. Señora Doña Olimpia Torlonia [daughter of Infanta Beatriz]

Excma. Señora Doña María Teresa Marone y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta María Cristina]

Spouses of the children of Infantas:

Grandchildren of Infantes/Infantas:

Spouses of the grandchildren of Infantes/Infantas:

Excma. Señora Doña Giovanna San Martino d'Aglie di San Germano [granddaughter-in-law of Infante Alfonso de Orleans]

Señora Doña Floriane del Río y Thorn [granddaughter-in-law of Infanta Mercedes]

Source: http://www.casareal.es/ES/Documents/boda/info/InvitadosCatedral.pdf

The title of the King of Spain is as follows:

Note: Titles marked with * are titles in pretence, historical titles which are only nominal and ceremonial.

"King of Spain
King of Castile, of León, of Aragon, of the Two Sicilies* (Naples and Sicily), of Jerusalem*, of Navarre, of Granada, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Majorca, of Seville, of Sardinia*, of Córdoba, of Corsica*, of Murcia, of Menorca, of Jaén, of the Algarves*, of Algeciras, of the Canary Islands, of the East Indies* and the West Indies* and of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea*;
Archduke of Austria*;
Duke of Burgundy*, of Brabant*, of Milan*, of Athens*, of Neopatras* (New Patras) and of Limburg*;
Count of Habsburg*, of Flanders*, of Tyrol*, of Roussillon* and of Barcelona;
Lord of Biscay and of Molina."

Last edited:
Yes, she would be. At the wedding of the Prince and Princess of Asturias in 2004, all spouses of non-royal children of Infantas were styled Excma. Señora/Excmo. Señor.

Children of Infantas:

Excma. Señora Doña Simoneta Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Juan Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón
Vizconde de la Torre [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Bruno Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excmo. Señor Don Fernando Gómez-Acebo y de Borbón [son of Infanta Pilar]

Excma. Señora Doña María Zurita y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta Margarita]

Excma. Señora Doña Sandra Torlonia
Condesa Lequio di Assaba [daughter of Infanta Beatriz]

Excmo. Señor Don Marco Torlonia
Príncipe de Civitella-Cesi [son of Infanta Beatriz]

Excma. Señora Doña Olimpia Torlonia [daughter of Infanta Beatriz]

Excma. Señora Doña María Teresa Marone y de Borbón [daughter of Infanta María Cristina]
Spouses of the children of Infantas:

Grandchildren of Infantes/Infantas:

Spouses of the grandchildren of Infantes/Infantas:

Excma. Señora Doña Giovanna San Martino d'Aglie di San Germano [granddaughter-in-law of Infante Alfonso de Orleans]

Señora Doña Floriane del Río y Thorn [granddaughter-in-law of Infanta Mercedes]
Source: http://www.casareal.es/ES/Documents/boda/info/InvitadosCatedral.pdf

Under the royal decree 1368/1987, children of infantes/infantas have the consideration of Grandees of Spain and, as such, they are entitled to the style of Excelentísimo(a) Señor(a). Their spouses, per the Spanish custom, take the rank and style of their husbands or wives and, as such, are also Excelentísimo(a) Señor(a).

I don't get, however, the use of the style of Excellency for grandchildren of infantes, unless they are themselves the eldest child of a hereditary Grandee, or married to one, or otherwise are Knights/Dames with Collar or Knights/Dames Grand Cross of a Spanish order or hold some public office that carries with it the style of Excellency. Prince Felipe's wedding guest list is not always consistent, however, with respect to styles.

Last edited:
I don't get, however, the use of the style of Excellency for grandchildren of infantes, unless they are themselves the eldest child of a hereditary Grandee, or married to one, or otherwise are Knights/Dames with Collar or Knights/Dames Grand Cross of a Spanish order or hold some public office that carries with it the style of Excellence. Prince Felipe's wedding guest list is not always consistent, however, with respect to styles.

The grandchildren for whom Excelentísima/Excelentísimo is used in the list are children of HRHs. Note that it was not used for Juan de Bagration, whose father's title of pretense was apparently not legally recognized in Spain, so I think it is consistent in this regard.

The title of the King of Spain is as follows:

Note: Titles marked with * are titles in pretence, historical titles which are only nominal and ceremonial.

King of Spain
King of Castile, of León, of Aragon, of the Two Sicilies* (Naples and Sicily), of Jerusalem*, of Navarre, of Granada, of Toledo, of Valencia, of Galicia, of Majorca, of Seville, of Sardinia*, of Córdoba, of Corsica*, of Murcia, of Menorca, of Jaén, of the Algarves*, of Algeciras, of the Canary Islands, of the East Indies* and the West Indies* and of the Islands and Mainland of the Ocean Sea*;
Archduke of Austria*;
Duke of Burgundy*, of Brabant*, of Milan*, of Athens*, of Neopatras* (New Patras) and of Limburg*;
Count of Habsburg*, of Flanders*, of Tyrol*, of Roussillon* and of Barcelona;
Lord of Biscay and of Molina

What happened to all the titles from the New World Empire? Or is that "Mainland of the Ocean Sea"?

Letizia falls under a dfferent category. Before Felipe's accession to the throne she was HRH The Princess of Asturias, and also Princess of Girona, Princess of Viana, Duchess of Montblanc, Countess of Cervera and Lady of Balaguer, since, under the RD 1368/1987, the wife of the Prince of Asturias shares all of her husband's titles and styles. [...]

My reading of the Royal Decree 1368/1987 is that HM Queen and HRH Princess of Asturias are the only titles which the King or Prince of Asturias shares with his wife.

1. The Crowned head is known as the King or Queen of Spain and may use other titles appertaining to the Crown, including those other noble dignities pertaining to the Royal House. He is styled Majesty.

2. The consort of the King of Spain, during his lifetime and while she remains widowed, is entitled Queen and bears the style Majesty, and bears all honors corresponding to her dignity (position) as established by juridical ordinances.

[...]

The heir to the throne, from the time of his birth or the event conferring this position upon him, shall hold the title of Prince or Princess of Asturias, as well as the other titles traditionally held by the heir to the throne and all honors corresponding thereto. He is styled Royal Highness. Of equal dignity and style is his consort, who also hold all honors as established by juridical ordinances.

The "other noble dignities pertaining to the Royal House" and "the other titles traditionally held by the heir to the throne" are mentioned only to pertain to the King or the Prince, not to his wife.

What happened to all the titles from the New World Empire? Or is that "Mainland of the Ocean Sea"?

The titles have been unchanged since the early 19th century or earlier, according to the website of the Royal House, so I suppose the titles were never expanded further than that.

My reading of the Royal Decree 1368/1987 is that HM Queen and HRH Princess of Asturias are the only titles which the King or Prince of Asturias shares with his wife.

The "other noble dignities pertaining to the Royal House" and "the other titles traditionally held by the heir to the throne" are mentioned only to pertain to the King or the Prince, not to his wife.
Read it a couple of times. You might be right; I guess it depends on how 'of equal dignity and style' is to be interpreted for at least the wife or husband of the Prince(ss) de Asturias. If we assume that all titles are inherently intertwined with the 'dignity'; the spouse would also hold those titles. If it only refers to 'Prince(ss) of Asturias' he/she wouldn't.

A quick Google search found one reference (at a blog, so nothing official; but it is hard to find something not related to the current princess of Girona) to 'The Prince and Princess of Asturias and Girona'

Back
Top Bottom