The Spanish Royal Family and the Barcelona Terrorist Attacks

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:

In reading and learning about the politicians in Spain that want to leave the and have their own country.......LOL, sounds like the republicans/liberals and democrats in the US. I say put them in a boat in the middle of the deepest ocean and pull the plug on all of them....worthless lots of useless brain power for all to see.

By the way, I like and admire the king and queen of Spain for they have a tough job ahead of them....and they work it with style and dignity.

The political anarchist Catalan party (extreme left) called for a show of independence and booing to the King during the march against terrorism. They chose to politicize the march hoping it will get them more exposure internationally.

As to the photos, the anarchists thought the royal house would sink to their own level - publishing pictures of kids during the Diada without permission. The whole thing deflated when royal house stated that all the photographs had the parent's consents.

Thanks.

The ironic thing is that all the international news reports of the demonstration I see so far have Felipe in the photos and said he "led" the demonstration, even though Barcelona mayor tried to hide him in the "second line". I even saw a local TV news report on it and the camera focused on Felipe shaking hands with the crowds the entire time. There's not one shot of Catalan politicians and no mentioning of the whistles. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.

The ironic thing is that all the international news reports of the demonstration I see so far have Felipe in the photos and said he "led" the demonstration, even though Barcelona mayor tried to hide him in the "second line". I even saw a local TV news report on it and the camera focused on Felipe shaking hands with the crowds the entire time. There's not one shot of Catalan politicians and no mentioning of the whistles. :lol:

It took a lot of guts to attend the march knowing the independence party were aiming for him. He could have remained home placing the royal house above attending a march against terrorism but chose to stand with Spain and its people. I respected him before but my respect have shot up leap and bounds.

It's easy to be a royal when everyone loves you, it's much difficult to stand up for your country when an anarchist nationalistic party is doing everything they can to push you out.

Last edited:
:previous:

In reading and learning about the politicians in Spain that want to leave the and have their own country.......LOL, sounds like the republicans/liberals and democrats in the US. I say put them in a boat in the middle of the deepest ocean and pull the plug on all of them....worthless lots of useless brain power for all to see.

By the way, I like and admire the king and queen of Spain for they have a tough job ahead of them....and they work it with style and dignity.

LOL, I'd love to pull the plug on the lot. Useless waste of resources.

Last edited:
This thread has been cleaned up and is re-opened. Personal attacks have been removed.

I'm a little late to the thread, but I've been in Andalusia whilst the attacks were on so I got to hear the news via Spanish press as my wifi was running slow. It was good to see all the photos of the SRF commemorating the attacks and Felipe and Letizia visiting the victims in hospital.

But you are comparing apples and oranges. Maybe being an American you are so used to your President's daughter being part of institutional activities even though no one elected her that you think being a queen works in the same way. It doesn't. At least not in Spain.

Letizia is a king's consort. In real terms it means being the spouse of the head of State. Institutionally there is little difference with Melania except Letizia has the title of "queen" and much less freedom. Her institutional role is very limited as consort of the king. I understand many of you can't differentiate from the English crown and/or Queen Elizabeth to any other world crown or consort queen; however you are doing yourself no favours by always comparing how "queens behave" in different royal houses without a minimal understanding of their country history and culture.

Please, learn about Spain and its political situation before making comments that frankly, do not apply to us. Not long ago on the Danish thread about Henrik, many said that we can't compare cultures, politics and social issues among countries to make it easier to find a common denominator with royals. It applies to Spain as well.

Felipe is Spanish, not Danish, English or American. He swears the Constitution and governments of Spain. It's why he is our head of state and receives instructions from OUR government and that includes Queen Letizia, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia about institutional representation.

I'm actually not American but because I'm familiar with countries other than my own I understand the very condescending point you were trying to make in your first paragraph.

I've asked a couple of what I thought were reasonable questions in this thread. I think it's reasonable to ask why she wasn't at the demonstration or minute of silence. I think it's reasonable to want to know what's behind the announcement that Letizia will not participate in institutional activities.

I've been very honest in the past that I don't think Letizia was an unmitigated success as Princess of Asturias and I dont think she's doing a great job as Queen. But as I've said in another thread, I'd be more than willing to change my mind. I would be truly interested in hearing why her role is so much more constrained than that of consorts in other countries, (and seemingly more so than her own mother in law's was). Assume that I'm familiar with monarchies other than the British and assume I'm familiar with Spain and have a reasonable understanding of its current political climate. Also assume that I'm not in any way threatened by or jealous of Letizia's apparent phenomenal popularity in Spain.

I've been very honest in the past that I don't think Letizia was an unmitigated success as Princess of Asturias and I dont think she's doing a great job as Queen[/B]. But as I've said in another thread, I'd be more than willing to change my mind. I would be truly interested in hearing why her role is so much more constrained than that of consorts in other countries, (and seemingly more so than her own mother in law's was). Assume that I'm familiar with monarchies other than the British and assume I'm familiar with Spain and have a reasonable understanding of its current political climate. Also assume that I'm not in any way threatened by or jealous of Letizia's apparent phenomenal popularity in Spain.

We all can like or dislike someone for no reason at all. We may dislike someone just by gut instinct alone. But job performance should be assessed against certain standards. I'm curious what standards you are judging Letizia by to reach the conclusion that she's not doing a great job as Queen.

Comparing with other royal queens/princesses:
- She has the busiest work schedule
- She has the fewest and shortest vacations
- She gets paid the least (1/6 of Maxima's)
- She represents Spain well abroad and generates lots of positive publicity for Spain and Spanish brands abroad (Kate is the only one ahead of her but that's more to do with the UK and Diana angles than Kate herself)
- She's the best public speaker
- She works in the toughest political and the most vicious tabloids environment
- Her husband and daughters adore her
- Her daughters are happy kids and better behaved than most other royal kids

Comparing with her mother in law:
- She has a much better understanding of Spain, Spanish culture and politics than Sofia (Just looking at Sofia's support for Cristina in defiance of Felipe)
- She has a better connection with Spanish society than Sofia (Sofia has no friend in Spain and spends much time overseas)
- She lives a more modest life style than Sofia does
- She's more modern and open-minded (Look up Sofia's anti-gay comments)

She's an intelligent, independent woman with strong character. She's very different from her mother-in-law and her peers. I can understand she's not everyone's cup of tea. But to say she's not doing a good job as a queen? It depends on what standards/expectations you're judging her by.

Felipe doesn't follow exactly what his father did and everyone applauds him for his "reforms". But whenever Letizia doesn't follow Sofia's exact footsteps, all the critics are out in force: "She's breaking traditions!" :lol: I'm pretty sure Sofia didn't follow Queen Ena's every footstep either. Time is changing. Royals have to change with time too. That's a good thing.

Sorry for the long post.

We all can like or dislike someone for no reason at all. We may dislike someone just by gut instinct alone. But job performance should be assessed against certain standards. I'm curious what standards you are judging Letizia by to reach the conclusion that she's not doing a great job as Queen.

Comparing with other royal queens/princesses:
- She has the busiest work schedule
- She has the fewest and shortest vacations
- She gets paid the least (1/6 of Maxima's)
- She represents Spain well abroad and generates lots of positive publicity for Spain and Spanish brands abroad (Kate is the only one ahead of her but that's more to do with the UK and Diana angles than Kate herself)
- She's the best public speaker
- She works in the toughest political and the most vicious tabloids environment
- Her husband and daughters adore her
- Her daughters are happy kids and better behaved than most other royal kids

Comparing with her mother in law:
- She has a much better understanding of Spain, Spanish culture and politics than Sofia (Just looking at Sofia's support for Cristina in defiance of Felipe)
- She has a better connection with Spanish society than Sofia (Sofia has no friend in Spain and spends much time overseas)
- She lives a more modest life style than Sofia does
- She's more modern and open-minded (Look up Sofia's anti-gay comments)

She's an intelligent, independent woman with strong character. She's very different from her mother-in-law and her peers. I can understand she's not everyone's cup of tea. But to say she's not doing a good job as a queen? It depends on what standards/expectations you're judging her by.

Felipe doesn't follow exactly what his father did and everyone applauds him for his "reforms". But whenever Letizia doesn't follow Sofia's exact footsteps, all the critics are out in force: "She's breaking traditions!" :lol: I'm pretty sure Sofia didn't follow Queen Ena's every footstep either. Time is changing. Royals have to change with time too. That's a good thing.

Sorry for the long post.

You're right, it is all a matter of opinion. I started to write a detailed post responding to the opinions you gave above but then realized I could sum it all up in just one sentence: I strongly disagree with almost everything you wrote! ?

Thank you for taking the time to respond, though! :flowers:

Regarding your last paragraph, not everyone always applauds Felipe. I think he seems decent, for the most part, but I see the so called reforms and reorganization of the royal house as mostly window dressing and, unlike many, I don't think the way he's reported to have handled the situation with his sister Cristina speaks well of his character, (I say reported because at this point I think it's impossible to separate fact from fiction in what's said about the Borbon family dynamics, so my opinion could be based on completely inaccurate info). BUT he's the monarch, not the consort, he's new and, let's not forget, he's a man. No one cares about his clothes, his body, his ability as a parent, how he ages, and a multitude of other things people are endlessly curious about when it comes to women in the public eye. When he makes a mistake people will forgive him much more easily than they would his wife, (or his mother, his sisters and soon enough his daughters). He'll be given the benefit of the doubt in situations where Letizia would be pilloried. He won't have to work so hard to make people think he's capable and accomplished. That's the nature of the beast, it's not going to change, and it's not unique to the Spanish monarchy.

And now it's late here so I'll say good night! I've appreciated reading the various view points and opinions over the last couple of days - seriously! - but this is now very off topic and I don't have anything more to say that wouldn't be rehashing the same disagreements from slightly different angles, so this will be my last post here that's not directly related to facts about the SRF and the Barcelona attack.

drama regarding the presence of the king in the ceremonies conmemorating the attacks in barcelona last year. some pro-catalans have added banners saying that 'the spanish king is not welcome in catalan country' and other claiming that the deal of the king spain with saudi arabia was the catalyst of the attacks (with a picture of felipe and the saudi king and text saying 'their arms, our deaths').

Atentados Barcelona: Monárquicos intentan entrar por la fuerza en el edificio para quitar la pancarta independentista contra el Rey | Cataluña

Back
Top Bottom