The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events, Part 24 (Sept. 2017 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Were there any public protests by republican groups against the King Emeritus?

King Juan Carlos doesn't seem much concerned about the civil lawsuit against him in the UK, which surprises me.

Wish we'd seen more of this side of King Juan Carlos in the past. The photos of Don Pablo Urdangarin with his grandfather are lovely.

How wonderful that he was able to attend one of his grandson's games.

That is great that Kind Carlos could attend his grandsons game. Its Granfather and Grandson special time and a great memory!

It's wonderful and sweet that Pablo clearly loves and missed his grandfather (though they saw each other not that long ago), and vice-versa.

Then you recall that his grandfather is not around all the time entirely of his own doing. :ermm:

Sad.

The Palace has released a statement about King Juan Carlo's stay in Spain and the meeting with the family today, May 23:

** casareal: COMUNICADO DE LA CASA DE S.M. EL REY **

..The King and Don Juan Carlos have had a long conversation about family issues as well as about different events and their consequences in Spanish society since the King's father decided to move to Abu Dhabi on August 3, 2020.

Next, a family lunch was held, attended by the King and Queen, the Infanta Doña Sofía, the King and Queen Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía, as well as the Infanta Doña Elena and her children, and the Infanta Doña Margarita and Don Carlos Zurita. Doña Sofía has not been able to share lunch having tested positive for Covid upon her return from Miami, although she has remained with the rest of the family in the lunch room provided with the mandatory mask and the corresponding ventilation measures.

Late in the afternoon, Don Juan Carlos has embarked on his return trip to Abu Dhabi..

A very rare Spanish Royal family gathering and wonderful that the duke and duchess of Soria were there too.

It's wonderful and sweet that Pablo clearly loves and missed his grandfather (though they saw each other not that long ago), and vice-versa.

Then you recall that his grandfather is not around all the time entirely of his own doing. :ermm:

Sad.

The video is lovely! It clearly meant a lot to Pablo that his grandfather came to see him play.

I doubt that any of the grandchildren have ever had Juan Carlos around all the time, especially Pablo and his siblings, who have never lived in the same city as their grandparents. I’m sure JC saw them when they came to Madrid or Mallorca, and maybe he visited them in Geneva, but between his busy official schedule up until the last few years, and his various private activities, quick visits like this one were likely the norm even when he was based in Spain.

To give credit where it’s due, he’s done something right as a grandfather - the respect and affection Pablo showed him at the game was genuine and very nice to see.

It was kissing his grandfather's hand for me. Very moving!!
Pablo is truly a gentleman. The way he dealt with the media with this parents separation and now this. Cristinacand Iñaki raised him well!!

Edit to add. I just read the announcement. I am confused as on one hand it said Queen Sofia has COVID but then it said she attended the family luncheon. Can someone please clarify please?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Speech of King Felipe VI in the National Offering to the Apostle Santiago

Video:

Last edited:
Last edited:
Nice to see Queen Sofia and the Infanta Elena together again for this annual event :previous:

Last edited:
Look at how tall and grown up Doña Irene Urdangarin has become!

Last edited:
Sofía is reported to be a good player, it's a nice outing for father and daughter, especially because she'll be going to Wales soon.

The lack of protocol gets on my nerves though, why is Sofía walking in front of the King? Her mother's daughter for sure.

Felipe must have slept on the plane back from London. Where does he get the energy??

The lack of protocol gets on my nerves though, why is Sofía walking in front of the King? Her mother's daughter for sure.

She was walking behind him in that Twitter clip, but...
- he ushered her in front
- she is a lady and he is a gentleman
- she is his child
- and he is also a very large man whom it's probably rather awkward for normal people, even his very tall daughter, to trail, and he knows it

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom