The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events, Part 24 (Sept. 2017 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So he has returned from the United States to attend the bulls ... :rolleyes:

Greating the Saudi Crown Prince and attending bullfights ...
Does the former King have an Adviser ??

Greating the Saudi Crown Prince and attending bullfights ...
Does the former King have an Adviser ??

Either haven't or then his advisor is not very good on their job. Not first time when JCI has done something questionable. Meeting man who is practically international pariah is not very good idea. I don't like bullfight but I can somehow understand ex-king going watch something which is part of Spanish culture.

Was the Saudi Crown Prince at the bullfight?

Either haven't or then his advisor is not very good on their job. Not first time when JCI has done something questionable. Meeting man who is practically international pariah is not very good idea. I don't like bullfight but I can somehow understand ex-king going watch something which is part of Spanish culture.

JC met the Saudi CP at the Abu Dhabi F1 race last November. JC usually goes where the money goes, what has helped stabilizing Spain during the past 40 or so years. Besides, I don't know of any royal/manager/politican who treats the Saudis like pariahs, of course its not politically correct to be seen with him but at the end of the day its business and money, and JC couldn't care less at this stage what people think about him.
https://www.thelocal.es/20181126/king-juan-carlos-under-fire-for-meeting-saudi-crown-prince

Regarding the bullfighting, JC has always been a supporter, so is his daughter Elena and her children. He went as King and he still goes in his private time.

By the way, Felipe still attends bullfighting as King, he does not go in his private time.
Sofia is known to boycott the bullfights (it's not her tradition anyway since she is not Spanish), Letizia went with Felipe in the beginning a few times but stopped going.

Last edited:
King Juan Carlos, Infanta Elena with Victoria and Felipe tonight at the Presentation act of San Isidro's Fair 2019, in Madrid. Infanta Elena has collected an award for her love of bullfighting.

https://www.belgaimage.be/#/gallery/6500359

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/u...t=none&family=editorial&editorialproducts=all

https://www.revistavanityfair.es/re...ica-froilan-juan-carlos-i-infanta-elena/37157

https://www.rexfeatures.com/set/10164365

What happens to the face of King Juan Carlos?

The old king has a right bruise on his face I wonder if he had a fall?

The old king has a right bruise on his face I wonder if he had a fall?

He has undergone a small intervention to remove a spot on his face and that has caused the bruise

Last edited:
It's lovely to see everyone, including Juan Carlos (though I can't help but wonder that if he can attend events like this he can come to official engagements like the Easter service :whistling:), turn up to support Pablo in his match.

The grandparents look so proud of Don Pablo Urdangarin!

With all the games that there are in the year, Juan Carlos and Sofia have decided to leave Spain this weekend :bang:... they really live in a parallel world where the important thing is themselves.

It's lovely to see everyone, including Juan Carlos (though I can't help but wonder that if he can attend events like this he can come to official engagements like the Easter service :whistling:), turn up to support Pablo in his match.

Juan Carlos may have had his fill of Easter services after last year.

In any event, it’s nice to see him interacting publicly with Cristina’s children, (well past time, I think).. I saw an article today with pictures of him being quite naturally affectionate with both Pablo and Irene so it seems he’s maintained a good relationship with them in private, at least.

With all the games that there are in the year, Juan Carlos and Sofia have decided to leave Spain this weekend :bang:... they really live in a parallel world where the important thing is themselves.

What is happening in Spain this weekend, that the former King should have been there?

What is happening in Spain this weekend, that the former King should have been there?

There are elections today but i don't seee why that mean's that Juan Carlos has to bbee in Spain as he is no longer the reigning King.

It is also nice to see him and Sofia together.

Juan Carlos and Sofia are part of the Royal Family and live on the public budget. While the Spaniards are undecided and worried about who to vote for, they are enjoying leisure in another country ... and that image is bad for the Monarchy, because it shows indifference about what happens in the country.

These are not just general elections, they are elections with great restlessness and indecision, in which nobody really knows what the result will be... and after which the King will once again have an important role. Depending on the result, they can also be detrimental to the future of the Monarchy.

Nor is it normal that in a day of general elections King Felipe is the only adult of the Royal Family in Spain. Queen Letizia has an official trip, which the Government and the Royal House have decided to maintain despite elections and cyclones. And in those circumstances, Juan Carlos should have remained in the country.

Last edited:
Juan Carlos and Sofia are part of the Royal Family and live on the public budget. While the Spaniards are undecided and worried about who to vote for, they are enjoying leisure in another country ... and that image is bad for the Monarchy, because it shows indifference about what happens in the country.

These are not just general elections, they are elections with great restlessness and indecision, in which nobody really knows what the result will be... and after which the King will once again have an important role. Depending on the result, they can also be detrimental to the future of the Monarchy.

Nor is it normal that in a day of general elections King Felipe is the only adult of the Royal Family in Spain. Queen Letizia has an official trip, which the Government and the Royal House have decided to maintain despite elections and cyclones. And in those circumstances, Juan Carlos should have remained in the country.
But Juan Carlos is the FORMER King, he will have no important role. And frankly, he stepped down because of brewing scandals, so just as well he is not there reminding people.

JC could have done an Elder Statesman job, supporting and being at the service of his son and the institution. Sometimes he does that, but I guess there is always a personal motivation behind it, too. Basically JC does what he wants, when he wants it without thinking of possible implications on the image of the monarchy.

Monarchy is the only safe thing in Spain right now. Juan Carlos can do what he wants, he is king emérito and I see no problem in him being abroad at this moment. Queen Letizia went on an official trip that was already scheduled and it was the government that decided to keep the trip. King Felipe VI does play an important role and therefore has to be in Spain to be attentive to everything that goes on.

Precisely the absence of Queen Letizia, made it necessary that at least another adult of the family remain in Spain. She is fulfilling a commitment with another country that is going through a humanitarian crisis. And she probably is not excited about missing Sofia's birthday tomorrow either. But it is her obligation.

Pablo plays in the team since september, they have had many opportunities to go to Hanover (last week there was Easter holidays in Spain)... and they choose precisely this weekend...

Perhaps king Juan Carlos is back in Spain today as queen Letizia departs.

Perhaps king Juan Carlos is back in Spain today as queen Letizia departs.

Exactly. And even if he is not there he can't influence the Elections. Do we know where the members of other royal Families are when there are elections in their countries (except for Belgium as they have to vote). Or the members of the spanish RF at other elections. We haven't also seen pictures of the King today so perhaps he is also out of the country but was not pictured.
And today was a game in the Quarter final so no ordinary game.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just curious why King Juan Carlos would also attend this event if King Felipe was speaking, etc.?

Back
Top Bottom