The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events, Part 24 (Sept. 2017 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought she did very well, she looks small and delicate but has the royal stare down pat. She has presence. Well done! The pride on her parents' faces was touching.

Doesn't this belong into the Royal Family thread?

Leonor did very well, it's a nice touch that another big outing came on her birthday (the golden fleece was delivered on Felipe's 50th birthday).

Very proud of her!!! She did it very well, and she looked at the public sometimes, I sense a great speaker in the future. Her parents were so proud of her.

So when Felipe gave her the order in the begining of the year meant for the start of Leonor's role in the public slowly but surely. Now I believe next year she will be giving the speech at Princess of Asturias Awards. Besides, there are many critics who said previously that Leonor was not "visible" like the other royal children in Europe, but I think that starting this year, Leonor will prove everyone wrong and be the most active royal heir of her generation.

Last edited:
While Leonor did very well today, no way she will deliver the PoA speech before she is at least 18, she's lacking the gravitas to do so, as would any other royal child.

Leonor was safe and she could control her nerves. I think she will from now on be the heirs of her generation, perhaps the most active. I think she may be able to attend the Princess of Asturias Awards next year. She may not read the speech, but she will somehow be present. But it would not surprise me if she reads the speech. It is noted that she is being very well prepared for the position of Princess of Asturias.
And the Kings and the Infanta Sofia were so proud. A very beautiful and united family.

Leonor is such a star, she did so well. I can't imagine turning 13 and having to speak in front of basically the entire world, but she did fantastic. The pride on Letitia face was priceless.

Not trying to beat an old horse but it really has been bothering me lately how much the King appears to ignore Sofia. I understand Leonor is the Heir and needs his guidance but Sofia seems very uncomfortable and hangs around like the 3rd wheel. I hope in private it is equal and the King only does this because he is helping Leonor prepare for the future. Sofia is such a beautiful girl, just don't want her to start to feel like the "spare".

King Juan Carlos and Infanta Elena attended the presentation of the 2020 European championship and 2021 World Cup International Six Metre class in Santiago de Compostela today, October 31.

"She was very nervous, but she has done it divinely", King Juan Carlos said about Leonor's reading today:

** Pic ** rex gallery **

Not trying to beat an old horse but it really has been bothering me lately how much the King appears to ignore Sofia. I understand Leonor is the Heir and needs his guidance but Sofia seems very uncomfortable and hangs around like the 3rd wheel. I hope in private it is equal and the King only does this because he is helping Leonor prepare for the future. Sofia is such a beautiful girl, just don't want her to start to feel like the "spare".

I see it quite the opposite, the family goes out of their way not to make Sofia 3rd wheel, Letizia is very much fussing over her all the time.

I do hope though that in time Sofia will not be present all the time when the focus is clearly on her sister, just tagging along.
It's a matter of fact Leonor is the heiress and Sofia the spare and it will have to be acknowledged in the events they attend.

With time progressing, Sofia needs to be given her own space, apart from King-Queen-Heiress trio or King-Heiress duo, nobody wants another QEII/Princess Margaret scenario.

The Princess did very well today,her parents must be so proud.

I see it quite the opposite, the family goes out of their way not to make Sofia 3rd wheel, Letizia is very much fussing over her all the time.

I do hope though that in time Sofia will not be present all the time when the focus is clearly on her sister, just tagging along.
It's a matter of fact Leonor is the heiress and Sofia the spare and it will have to be acknowledged in the events they attend.

With time progressing, Sofia needs to be given her own space, apart from King-Queen-Heiress trio or King-Heiress duo, nobody wants another QEII/Princess Margaret scenario.

The focus will always be clearly on Leonor at official events, though, (compared to Sofia). The same way that the focus was much more on Felipe compared to his sisters at official events, and at a much earlier age and in a much more formal and obvious way than it is with Leonor and Sofia. I think it’s just more obvious because it’s only the two of them and they’re both girls who are very close in age.

Sofia seems very confident for her age and very comfortable at these public occasions but she also doesn’t seem to be seeking the limelight. I suspect in their private family life she takes a back seat to no one, but she’s old enough to understand that official life is different than private life and so far she seems to be handling that fact of life with a lot of grace!

Well spoken young woman. I am sure both parents were very proud :flowers:

Princess Leonor is a very composed and poised young lady IMO.

Leonor did an excellent job with her speech yesterday. It's nice to hear her speak and it was sweet to see the family's expressions - they all seemed very proud of her.

Her mother will be a great tutor for her in the coming years. I always thought Letizia was the most professional royal on public speeches. Having had a career in Journalism helped greatly on her speech proficiency. Letizia is quite an accomplished speaker and I'm sure she will help Leonor improve her speeches in public.

Newbie question -- is this a fun, father/daughter trip, or is JC visiting in an official capacity? If it's the latter, I'm surprised that Cristina is there.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-Bin-Salman-meets-Chechen-leader-Kadyrov.html

Saudi Crown Prince mingles with dignitaries at Abu Dhabi Grand Prix as he attempts to brush off Khashoggi scandal on his first trip abroad since the journalist’s grisly murder

Its all about money, as usual.

And what this has to do with the Royal Family of Spain?

JC and Cristina were there because it was the last Grand Prix for Alonso. They are VIP so they were in the VIP area because the Abu Dhabi authorities put them there.
Saudi Crown Prince was put there by Saudi authorities too
so there is a picture of them together, so what are you trying to say or imply? Be specific there, guilt by association? Get a grip:bang:

It would be interesting to know what the El Mundo reporter would have had Juan Carlos do in that situation. “He shouldn’t have gone into the VIP box” isn’t a realistic solution - Juan Carlos and Cristina are royal guests and Juan Carlos has a long history of attending this particular event and mingling with the other high profile guests. If they’d made a point of avoiding the area where Mohammed was it would have been an obvious and public snub and an embarrassment to the Saudis. That would be unacceptable.

It goes without saying that I consider what the CP, (probably), did to be abhorrent, but it looks like the Saudis are backing him and he’s not going anywhere, for now at least. As long as that’s true, Juan Carlos, as a former head of state and a member of the Spanish royal family, has an obligation to greet him in a correct and dignified manner.

A year or two from now the Crown Prince may be King. And, sad to say, the world will have forgotten about the journalist. But Mohammad will likely NOT have forgotten the meeting and photograph with Juan Carlos and that’s the sort of intangible that could have enormous benefits for Spain, (I’m going to assume people like the El Mundo reporter are not suggesting that Spain should start refusing all that lovely Saudi money). I’ve been clear in previous posts that I’m not a huge fan of Juan carlos in some ways but in this case he did what was best for his country, likely knowing it would come at a personal cost.

Last edited:
Always nice to see the kings sister and aunt present at the annual Sports awards.

Back
Top Bottom