The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-20-2019, 05:27 AM
Serene Highness

Let's be honest, it's a diferent situation in Spain. I like how the transition is unfolding now. Yes, Leonor is still 13 and Sofia is 11 but they have a role to represent. King Felipe, the then Prince of Asturias, was immersed into his role at the same age. I think looking at Leonor, she's really keen in learning.
Comparing the kids to CP Frederick and CP Mary's kids is a bit off or even to CP Haakon's and CP MM. Again it's a different situation in Spain. They have to maintain a different kind of aura to stay gripped in the throne whereas in other countries it's not the case.
The Royal Family of Spain is my favorite, nonetheless. I have to commend Queen Letizia for being a hands-on mom to them. In this changing times and in the politicial landscape of Spain now, Queen Letizia's motherhood is really working.
I hope, they get the credit that they deserve. They are one heck of a hardworking King and Queen. And hoping to see both the Princess and the Infanta at the Princess of Asturias and Girona awards later this year. It will be their first attendance this year.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Public appearances by Leonor and Sofia are very rare and do not amount to more than a few per year ,in the past Felipe/Letizia were criticized for sheltering them from the general public.

I think both girls are doing a wonderful job when they do make an odd appearance.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 AM
Majesty

It is difficult for us to judge not living in Spain and I agree with Lula that the Spanish monarchy operates in an environment that is different from other European countries and requires a different modus operandi. Still, I don’t recall any example of royal children as young as 12 or 13 attending a ceremony of investiture of other citizens in an order of merit. Even in Belgium, which is the closest to Spain perhaps in terms of challenges to the long-term survival of the monarchy, I don’t think Princess Elisabeth was seen in official public events other than National Day or family events before she was 15. To me, it looks excessive, but then, again, if that is what the Spanish people expect from a Princess of Asturias or an Infanta, then I am fine with it.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM
Commoner

The events that the girls have attended have all been important events and a great way to be introduced to their future public roles. Their privacy and childhood are being excellently protected by their parents I find.

It's silly to despair that they are only shown as serious in public. Leonor and Sofia could hardly goof off at as solemn an event as the anniversary event. Their photocalls during summer still show happy and relaxed children.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Felipe chose to celebrate his 5 years on the throne honoring ordinary citizens ... they were not important or famous people, but normal people who have done something good in the fields of education, science, health, conservation of the environment ... among the winners there were several teachers of primary, secondary education... who have developed some interesting project. Among the guests at the event, there was a class of 6th grade students (Sofia's age) of the Infanta Leonor school.

The stage is very solemn, but the event was very normal. Even the presenter is famous for presenting an entertainment television show with interviews with famous people.

Elisabeth of Belgium has opened a hospital and has baptized a boat with her name, and with 13 years old she spoke in public in the different languages of the country in an event in memory of the First World War. In general Leonor and she have a very similar role, although the events may be a little different.

For example, I think that in Norway with Mette Marit ill and Martha Louise little interested in official life ... in the end Ingrid Alexandra will have to acquire responsibilities soon.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, I do agree that in Spain the situation is different, and each royal familiy has their own input on how to behave in their own respective country.

But, what the members here spoke of, were more relaxed events to take the girls when Felipe and Letizia were Prince and Princess of Asturias. Letizia has opened or visited several children centers throughout the years, that would be a great oportunity to send Leonor and I doubt that the spanish people would find it bad. But, then again, things are different in Spain. At least, they are bringing the girls to the public more often, either be it too formal or not.

Yes, I think Leonor and Elisabeth are quite similar on that regard. Living in a country with political instability, but having done a few but relevant appearances since 12/13 years old. Ingrid Alexandra is different, to me, it feels that soon she'll have to do the job of a Crown Princess (given her mother's ilness with a few public role). On the other hand, Catharina-Amalia is an heiress that doesn't do much, unlike Leonor or Elisabeth, I think that Catharina-Amalia will find it harder to transition into her role...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Leonor has shown a lot of interest in the events where she has been. The Spaniards for a few years showed displeasure that Leonor and Sofia appear little in public and now must be happy they appear more. I think this year Leonor could even make her first speech at the Princess Awards of Asturias. The time has come for Leonor to assume more and more responsibilities. I am sure that from this year everything will be different for Leonor and she will do her job well. It seems that not four years from now she is an adult ...
Old 06-20-2019, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Princess Leonor has shown a lot of interest in the events where she has been. The Spaniards for a few years showed displeasure that Leonor and Sofia appear little in public and now must be happy they appear more. I think this year Leonor could even make her first speech at the Princess Awards of Asturias. The time has come for Leonor to assume more and more responsibilities. I am sure that from this year everything will be different for Leonor and she will do her job well. It seems that not four years from now she is an adult ...
Leonor and Sofia remind me a lot of the Spanish children I see everyday. They seem very mature. The ones on the streets are certainly opinionated and tweens act like adults when with parents and more their age when with peers. I think these girls will be fine!
Old 06-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Leonor and Sofia remind me a lot of the Spanish children I see everyday. They seem very mature. The ones on the streets are certainly opinionated and tweens act like adults when with parents and more their age when with peers. I think these girls will be fine!

Yes they look very mature. Leonor is almost 14 years old, is entering adolescence. Sofia is younger but has also shown maturity for her age.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
Yes, I do agree that in Spain the situation is different, and each royal familiy has their own input on how to behave in their own respective country.

But, what the members here spoke of, were more relaxed events to take the girls when Felipe and Letizia were Prince and Princess of Asturias. Letizia has opened or visited several children centers throughout the years, that would be a great oportunity to send Leonor and I doubt that the spanish people would find it bad. But, then again, things are different in Spain. At least, they are bringing the girls to the public more often, either be it too formal or not.

Yes, I think Leonor and Elisabeth are quite similar on that regard. Living in a country with political instability, but having done a few but relevant appearances since 12/13 years old. Ingrid Alexandra is different, to me, it feels that soon she'll have to do the job of a Crown Princess (given her mother's ilness with a few public role). On the other hand, Catharina-Amalia is an heiress that doesn't do much, unlike Leonor or Elisabeth, I think that Catharina-Amalia will find it harder to transition into her role...

I understand the frustration. The kids have only been seen in more formal events but that's how it is in Spain and with more people complaining about their less appearance over the years, I think they have decided that the girls should be immersed in their role. With King Juan Carlos retiring from public duties, it's about time for the girls to learn from scratch and I think this has something to do with also them not being seen for a long time since they will study abroad like their father before.

As to the Duchess of Brabant, before she left for boarding school in Wales, she's always seen joining both formal and less formal events. The other children namely Gabriel (16), Emmanuel (14) and Eleonore (11) were seen at Queen Elisabeth Competition this year.

It's true that the Dutch Royal Family have a different approach too as we don't get to see the kids at formal events. The last time we saw them was at Seville.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHat View Post
It's silly to despair that they are only shown as serious in public. Leonor and Sofia could hardly goof off at as solemn an event as the anniversary event. Their photocalls during summer still show happy and relaxed children.
I don't think it's silly to comment about the nature of the engagements Leonor is being asked to attend, since I doubt any of us who would like to see her in a more relaxed environment are suggesting that she "goof off" in solemn events, but more so that she attend events that are better suited for her, such as an opening of a zoo, or a visit to a primary school, etc. Signings of the constitutions and military parades seem to be very solemn for a thirteen year-old, though on the other hand, this seems to be normal for Spanish heirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
They attended the event yesterday because it was the event that commemorated the fifth anniversary of the proclamation of Felipe. They are in school, and if they must lose school to go to an event, their parents choose to be truly important and symbolic events.

Royal children are not normal children, they have some responsibilities in the future for which they should be educated since childhood. In Spain it would not be understood that girls, especially Leonor, were available for "funny" activities, but not for important ones. For example, the presence of Leonor at the Princess of Asturias Awards has been claimed for years, and her parents have decided to wait until she was 14 years old and more mature. And some even think that she should be a soldier of honor as was her father being much younger.

It is not the same to be the grandchildren of a king, to be the direct heir to the Crown. Also in Belgium they have introduced Elizabeth since childhood in very formal events, and her first words in public were in a very serious event.

Maybe in some monarchies use cute children, their games and mischief works ... in Spain no. The press and the people are brutal, the life of Froilán has been marked for life by his pranks as a child, and Leonor paid dearly for what happened in Palma. On the day she turned 18, Victoria has become a constant target of the press. They are children of royalty, who have the facilities that other children do not have ... and people do not expect them to behave like normal children, but to have a perfect public behavior. Probably it is cruel, because they are only children, but the reality is that in Spain errors in public are paid dearly, and the best way to protect them is to show the most neutral image possible.

Felipe fulfilled serious official obligations from a very young age, Juan Carlos was removed from his family to study in Spain, Alfonso XIII was born being king ... and Leonor and Sofia are very young, but they are the daughters of the King ...
Thank you for responding from a Spanish perspective, lula. The Spanish press does indeed seem to be particularly brutal and young royals aren't exempt from their attacks (remember when Victoria Federica went through a phase where she carried socks with her as a young child and the press criticised her for it?).
The Scandinavian monarchies seem to be some of the more "informal" and laid-back RFs in Europe, and take a different approach when it comes to raising young heirs and heiresses to the throne.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-21-2019, 10:16 AM
Royal Highness

The young members of most royal families have attended a mix of informal and more formal events from the time they were young, with the possible exception of the Dutch. All the European royals attend plenty of events that are family oriented and most of them have taken the opportunity to bring their children from time to time.

For example, Elisabeth of Belgium and her siblings have gone to a wide variety of events, some solemn, some not. When they were little the events were generally low key and child appropriate but there was never anything silly or childish about them, any more than there is anything silly about their parents attending the same events.

When Elisabeth was little, her mother took her to an event involving other small children and read a story to the whole group. Elisabeth behaved well, Mathilde was clearly happy to be there and happy to have Elisabeth along, a good time was had by all. I doubt the apparently very refined sensibilities of the majority of Spanish citizens would have been too offended had Letizia done the same with Leonor once upon a time.

I think what helps ensure the long term survival of a modern monarchy is affection and a sense of familiarity with its members, as well as respect. It’s unlikely that many in modern Spain feel there’s anything inherently superior about the current SRF and I’d anticipate a generation from now the public will be much more skeptical about the idea that the monarchy is essential to the Spanish state’s ability to function. It will be interesting to see if the monarchy has the ability to adapt.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

In general, the activities of the Spanish Royal Family tend to be more formal ... they do not organize football matches, they do not participate in races, they do not do excursions ... Maybe you do not like it, but that's the way they do things... and if they did otherwise, probably many people in Spain would say that they do not pay them for fun.

They go to many shows such as ballet, theater, cinema, they make excursions in the mountain of El Pardo where they live ... but that is part of their private leisure time.

As Crown Princess, Leonor is expected to complete a series of activities... and her parents consider that with these activities plus all the photos that they provide in Mallorca, it is enough for the moment.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

At the end of the day, people will have to relate to their future Queen and that includes to see her growing up. So far, the spanish public knows nothing about Leonor apart from seeing her at a few occasions during the year. That was different with Felipe. If they continue to keep everything personal strictly private and reduce the public appearances to formal events the public will not be able to bond with Leonor as they did with Felipe. It does not help that Letizia has the image of being controlling and distant what could reflect badly on her daughter at some point.
Old 06-21-2019, 11:18 PM
Serene Highness

It may have negative effects not bringing them to less formal events but Spain as it is, do not have as much less formal activities to begin with. Let's just be happy that both of the sisters are going to the Princess of Asturias and Girona awards this year. And maybe in the coming years, they will be more visible in public before they reach College.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia and Infanta Elena attended a dinner to pay a tribute to Spanish Navy in Royal Yacht Club in Sanxenxo

https://api.profimedia.com/data/larg...0458021422.jpg

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...club,_sanxenxo
Old 07-12-2019, 04:42 PM
Majesty

Nice to see the three of them together - and the ladies love their patterns :)
Old 07-12-2019, 11:49 PM
Serene Highness

Oh Queen Sofia looks wonderful. I hope to see more them soon.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:08 AM
Administrator

Here are another gallery and two videos of yesterday evening:

** pontevedraviva gallery **

** lavozdegalicia video: Los reyes heméritos, juntos de cena en Sanxenxo **

** crtvg video: O rei Xoán Carlos e a raíña Sofía participan en Sanxenxo nunha homenaxe ao Juan Sebastián de Elcano **

And here are some photos of them attending the Almirante Rodriguez-Toubes regatta today, July 13:

** rex gallery ** hola article **
Old 09-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Victoria Federica and Irene Urdangarin on an afternoon of shopping.
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_es...xclusiva-hola/

Tags
current events, duchess of calabria, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, infanta elena, infanta leonor, infanta margarita, infanta pilar, infanta sofia, king felipe, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, princess of asturias, queen letizia, queen sofia, spanish royal family, spanish royal family events