The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #181  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Not exactly the Constitution, but a law that determines who is part of the Royal Family and who is not.

The presence of Elena in this event is due to the fact that she works for the Mapfre Foundation. I think it's inappropriate for Sofía to promote the company where her daughter works,more when it is known that Elena got that job because of the influence of her parents, because she had never worked in that area before.
The Mapfre Foundation pours a huge amount of money into various projects in Spain and abroad. It would be odd for the royal family to avoid it entirely because their daughter works there.

And certainly Felipe is fine with participating in the Copa del Rey MAPFRE which is bankrolled by the same company that established the foundation.

Elena, Cristina and Felipe all got their jobs because of who their father is. It seems strange to be concerned about nepotism on a board dedicated to hereditary monarchy.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:43 PM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,650
The problem is nepotism with private companies. Sofia did not have relationship with this company before her daughter worked for them, now she delivers their prizes and they support her private foundation.

The Royal Family has been participating in the regatta for decades, so there is no direct link (although Elena now navigates when she has not done so for years). There were always criticisms when members of the Royal Family sailed on boats sponsored by companies, and when Juan Carlos wore the logo of La Caixa. Felipe sometimes sailed on a boat from his Olympic friends that was sponsored, but he avoided wearing the logos... and for years he only participates in the ship of the Spanish Navy that is public.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
The problem is nepotism with private companies. Sofia did not have relationship with this company before her daughter worked for them, now she delivers their prizes and they support her private foundation.

The Royal Family has been participating in the regatta for decades, so there is no direct link (although Elena now navigates when she has not done so for years). There were always criticisms when members of the Royal Family sailed on boats sponsored by companies, and when Juan Carlos wore the logo of La Caixa. Felipe sometimes sailed on a boat from his Olympic friends that was sponsored, but he avoided wearing the logos... and for years he only participates in the ship of the Spanish Navy that is public.
A quick Google shows Felipe on a boat with a prominent MAPFRE logo as recently as 2015. Images from this past year show him presenting prizes and posing in front of a backdrop branded with “MAPFRE” from top to bottom, Felipe, Letizia and the girls posing for photographers right next to a prominent ad for the Copa del Rey/MAPFRE, (and the MAPFRE part of the ads are always at least as prominent as the Copa del Rey parts), and multiple other situations where its clear he’s a part of the publicity campaign for MAPFRE, whether he’s wearing a logo on his shirt or not.

I’d have to check but I’m pretty sure I recall Felipe and/or Letizia participating in events connected to the foundations of private companies multiple times, including La Caixa. Again, it would be hard for the royal family to avoid the many events and charitable causes these huge foundations are involved in.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 06-13-2019, 03:32 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,650
MAPFRE is the sponsor of the regatta, all boats, including the one of the Navy of Spain, carry the name of the brand with the participant number, as for many years they carried the Agua Brava of Puig (a previous sponsor). Obviously there are multiple events sponsored by multiple brands, another thing is to sponsor them directly or the boats in which they compete.

The first problem is that Infanta Elena went to work in that company being an adult and without any previous experience in the sector. After the divorce she needed a large salary and King Juan Carlos placed her there. The second is that she takes her parents to many official and private events sponsored by her company, and she always appears in the photo ... so the impression is not good, she exploits the situation too much.

La Caixa has one of the most important foundations in the country, really for them the royal connection was not so important to promote. Cristina has worked there for many years, and she started in lower positions and later was promoted, a case not comparable to that of Elena, who was directly named director and with a high salary. And unlike Elena, Cristina used to be more discreet in the relationship between La Caixa and the Royal Family, and she stayed more in the background.

The attitude and the use of the royal connection to promote themselves has been different in both cases.
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 06-13-2019, 03:38 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,875
Thank you lula for explaining the situation to us. I agree that the SRF promoting MAPFRE with Elena present gives off the wrong impression.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 06-13-2019, 07:38 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
MAPFRE is the sponsor of the regatta, all boats, including the one of the Navy of Spain, carry the name of the brand with the participant number, as for many years they carried the Agua Brava of Puig (a previous sponsor). Obviously there are multiple events sponsored by multiple brands, another thing is to sponsor them directly or the boats in which they compete.

The first problem is that Infanta Elena went to work in that company being an adult and without any previous experience in the sector. After the divorce she needed a large salary and King Juan Carlos placed her there. The second is that she takes her parents to many official and private events sponsored by her company, and she always appears in the photo ... so the impression is not good, she exploits the situation too much.

La Caixa has one of the most important foundations in the country, really for them the royal connection was not so important to promote. Cristina has worked there for many years, and she started in lower positions and later was promoted, a case not comparable to that of Elena, who was directly named director and with a high salary. And unlike Elena, Cristina used to be more discreet in the relationship between La Caixa and the Royal Family, and she stayed more in the background.

The attitude and the use of the royal connection to promote themselves has been different in both cases.
I agree that the situations between the two Infantas are different. Cristina’s education and work history seem to align well with the work she’s doing now, and, from the limited information we get, it seems she has a successful career which is at least partly independent of her royal status.

I would argue, though, that part of Elena and Cristina’s jobs is very much related to who they are. Regardless of formal qualifications, being HRH The Infanta X of Spain opens doors that would remain closed to other people. Both women have also been trained since childhood to act appropriately in various situations with different sorts of people. That’s a valuable skill set in certain kinds of jobs so I wouldn’t say Elena brought nothing to the table for MAPFRE.

I think if you judged Felipe according to the same standards you have for his sisters and his parents it would be obvious there are multiple things about him being the main attraction at such a heavily branded event that might create a poor impression.
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,650
King Felipe will celebrate his fifth anniversary honoring 40 exemplary citizens

https://www.lavanguardia.com/politic...casa-real.html

Act of imposition of decorations of the Order of Civil Merit
Madrid Royal Palace


Wednesday 19th at 12:00



They will decorate 41 citizens from all over Spain between 19 and 107 years old and considered as an example for civil society.

19 women and 22 men, of different ages and representing all the provinces, who represent a wide representation of the jobs that the Spaniards develop and of the labor or social commitments present in society. All also meet the criteria of merit that requires the award as they stand in areas such as education, the environment, health, volunteering, research, social assistance, culture or integration of immigration.

Among those attending the event will be 6th grade primary students of "Infanta Leonor" school who are the age of Infanta Sofia.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/ultim...-anos_2337442/
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 06-19-2019, 08:38 AM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 56,784



Here are two more galleries and an article about today's ceremony:



** ppe gallery ** gettyimages/zimbio: Spanish Royals Deliver 'Order of the Civil Merit' Awards **


** dm article: Perfect princesses! Leonor, 13, and Sofia, 12, of Spain show they're turning into elegant young ladies as they make a rare..**
__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: malaga, Spain
Posts: 265
The girls have grown so well; They are educated, regal, well dressed, well-behaved, ... Leonor is a mini queen. His smile is that of an angel.
Undoubtedly, the most beautiful princesses of royalty.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 06-19-2019, 03:32 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelarn View Post
The girls have grown so well; They are educated, regal, well dressed, well-behaved, ... Leonor is a mini queen. His smile is that of an angel.
Undoubtedly, the most beautiful princesses of royalty.





I agee that the girls look regal and great, but I still think that, at the ages of 12 and 13 respectively, they are way too young to be taking part in state functions such as a ceremony of the Order of Civil Merit.



I also think it is too much of a burden for Leonor to take such a prominent role as heir, wearing the Golden Fleece in public, when she is still in Middle School.They should wait until she turns 18 at least, but I guess King Felipe is just treating her as he was treated by his parents when he was her age. Is that correct ?
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 06-19-2019, 03:32 PM
An Ard Ri's Avatar
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: An Iarmhí, Ireland
Posts: 30,137
Here's another video from today's Order of Civil Merit Ceremony at the Palacio Real.

Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:16 PM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I agee that the girls look regal and great, but I still think that, at the ages of 12 and 13 respectively, they are way too young to be taking part in state functions such as a ceremony of the Order of Civil Merit.



I also think it is too much of a burden for Leonor to take such a prominent role as heir, wearing the Golden Fleece in public, when she is still in Middle School.They should wait until she turns 18 at least, but I guess King Felipe is just treating her as he was treated by his parents when he was her age. Is that correct ?

IMO you can see the weight of expectations on Leonor's shoulders, Sofia is quite a cool customer in comparison.
I think they are missing out on taking Leonor on public events that are fun/age appropriate, eg events at the zoo with her grandma, sports events with her parents, some nature or carefree stuff like the other royal houses do with their kids.
Everything where she's involved is super serious like National Day, reading of the constitution, visiting Covadonga, the upcoming PoA awards ... and it shows.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 06-19-2019, 04:34 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,875
Leonor and Sofia did a wonderful job today and it was a lovely surprise to see them there. It was really nice to see Leonor wearing her Golden Fleece too and I loved the photo of the elderly lady with Sofia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
IMO you can see the weight of expectations on Leonor's shoulders, Sofia is quite a cool customer in comparison.
I think they are missing out on taking Leonor on public events that are fun/age appropriate, eg events at the zoo with her grandma, sports events with her parents, some nature or carefree stuff like the other royal houses do with their kids.
Everything where she's involved is super serious like National Day, reading of the constitution, visiting Covadonga, the upcoming PoA awards ... and it shows.
Whilst I think Leonor did very well today and she seems to be naturally more reserved in personality; I do agree that the seriousness of the engagements she's being taken to seems to be having an effect on her. Even a visit to a primary/secondary school or indeed a nature reserve/natural playground (like we saw with Oscar of Sweden today, even though he's a lot younger) would make her feel more relaxed and comfortable with her future responsibilities.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 06-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Leonor and Sofia did a wonderful job today and it was a lovely surprise to see them there. It was really nice to see Leonor wearing her Golden Fleece too and I loved the photo of the elderly lady with Sofia.



Whilst I think Leonor did very well today and she seems to be naturally more reserved in personality; I do agree that the seriousness of the engagements she's being taken to seems to be having an effect on her. Even a visit to a primary/secondary school or indeed a nature reserve/natural playground (like we saw with Oscar of Sweden today, even though he's a lot younger) would make her feel more relaxed and comfortable with her future responsibilities.
To me Leonor seems to want to get things RIGHT, whether that’s the way she is naturally or whether she feels pressure from outside sources, or maybe a combination of both. She always acts appropriately when she’s present at events - I would say, at nearly 14, appropriate behaviour should be a given - but you can almost see the wheels turning in her head about how to sit, how to smile, how to shake hands, etc. Sofia does seem more natural, and also more openly bored, but no one is focusing as much on Sofia at public events and I’m sure she knows it and is possibly already smart enough to be grateful for it.

I think it’s hard to argue against the girls having been taken to occasional casual events from the time they were small, but that ship has sailed. I do find it odd that all the public events the girls attend now are high profile and quite formal events. Leonor is only 13 and the majority of her working life will be made up of events that are not especially formal or high profile.
So why not start with the training version of those? Surely they could find some children’s library or nature park inauguration to take her to? She could read with some little kids, hold a couple of cute animals, whatever.

On a more superficial note, it was nice to see the two girls again. I liked both of their dresses and thought both were dressed spot on for their ages!
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 06-19-2019, 10:41 PM
kathia_sophia's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South, Portugal
Posts: 2,887
I agree with what everyone said here.


Felipe and Letizia never brought Leonor and Sofia to many official events. They were a bit too protected from royal/media life. Once Felipe became King, they started to take Leonor and Sofia with them, but on very formal events. These girls, specially Leonor, don't know how to relax in public. It's not their fault IMO. Felipe and Letizia need to take them on informal events, like the others pointed out, at a museum, opening of a park, inauguration of a children's hospital or rescue animals center, among many others, to teach them that engagements can be fun too and easy to cope with instead of the boring formal events that they can't relax for even one bit.


Well, but, that's the thing Felipe and Letizia are going with. We can only watch and hope the girls, specially, Leonor will be able to have a smooth transition into public roles.
__________________
♫A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.♥
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 06-19-2019, 11:08 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: skokie, United States
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
IMO you can see the weight of expectations on Leonor's shoulders, Sofia is quite a cool customer in comparison.
I think they are missing out on taking Leonor on public events that are fun/age appropriate, eg events at the zoo with her grandma, sports events with her parents, some nature or carefree stuff like the other royal houses do with their kids.
Everything where she's involved is super serious like National Day, reading of the constitution, visiting Covadonga, the upcoming PoA awards ... and it shows.
I agreed. Fun stuff since they were little.
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 06-19-2019, 11:51 PM
carina_a's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 541
I agree with most of the comments above.

It's obvious that Felipe & Letizia have made a conscious choice to bring the girls to more public events (other than just the annual easter mass and Mallorca photocall) during the past couple years, and I'm glad to see them more. But the nature of these events are quite serious: Constitution events, parliament events, investitures etc.

Obviously the 'fun stuff when little' ship has long sailed as mentioned above, but I wish they would accompany their parents to some less formal engagements when the occasion rises, like Mary bringing V&J to the zoo opening, or Frederik with C&I at the tennis club.

Of course every child is different and each family has their own issues, I only wish the best for the two girls
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 06-20-2019, 01:19 AM
Duke of Marmalade's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Posts: 13,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by carina_a View Post
I agree with most of the comments above.

It's obvious that Felipe & Letizia have made a conscious choice to bring the girls to more public events (other than just the annual easter mass and Mallorca photocall) during the past couple years, and I'm glad to see them more. But the nature of these events are quite serious: Constitution events, parliament events, investitures etc.

Obviously the 'fun stuff when little' ship has long sailed as mentioned above, but I wish they would accompany their parents to some less formal engagements when the occasion rises, like Mary bringing V&J to the zoo opening, or Frederik with C&I at the tennis club.

They HAD to bring the girls out more, and it always and still feels forced to me, like, we have no choice. I can't recall any public outing of Leonor and Sofia that was carefree or fun. Even those 'private' HOLA shots, like the girls shopping with their mother, seem forced to give the public what they want from time to time. You cannot hide the heiress to the Spanish Throne and present her as an 18 year old girl.
It's really a shame that the girls missed out on a natural and positive approach to the press and public when they were younger, like many other royal kids.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 06-20-2019, 03:15 AM
lula's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: , Spain
Posts: 19,650
They attended the event yesterday because it was the event that commemorated the fifth anniversary of the proclamation of Felipe. They are in school, and if they must lose school to go to an event, their parents choose to be truly important and symbolic events.

Royal children are not normal children, they have some responsibilities in the future for which they should be educated since childhood. In Spain it would not be understood that girls, especially Leonor, were available for "funny" activities, but not for important ones. For example, the presence of Leonor at the Princess of Asturias Awards has been claimed for years, and her parents have decided to wait until she was 14 years old and more mature. And some even think that she should be a soldier of honor as was her father being much younger.

It is not the same to be the grandchildren of a king, to be the direct heir to the Crown. Also in Belgium they have introduced Elizabeth since childhood in very formal events, and her first words in public were in a very serious event.

Maybe in some monarchies use cute children, their games and mischief works ... in Spain no. The press and the people are brutal, the life of Froilán has been marked for life by his pranks as a child, and Leonor paid dearly for what happened in Palma. On the day she turned 18, Victoria has become a constant target of the press. They are children of royalty, who have the facilities that other children do not have ... and people do not expect them to behave like normal children, but to have a perfect public behavior. Probably it is cruel, because they are only children, but the reality is that in Spain errors in public are paid dearly, and the best way to protect them is to show the most neutral image possible.

Felipe fulfilled serious official obligations from a very young age, Juan Carlos was removed from his family to study in Spain, Alfonso XIII was born being king ... and Leonor and Sofia are very young, but they are the daughters of the King ...
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current events, duchess of calabria, iñaki urdangarín, infanta cristina, infanta elena, infanta leonor, infanta margarita, infanta pilar, infanta sofia, king felipe, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, princess of asturias, queen letizia, queen sofia, spanish royal family, spanish royal family events


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Family of The Netherlands, Current Events Part 4 (May 2013 - present) Marengo Dutch Royals 194 Yesterday 01:55 AM
King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family, General News, Part 2 (Sept. 2017 - present) Marengo King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family 320 04-15-2021 08:05 AM
King Philippe and Queen Mathilde, Current Events, Part 2 (Sept. 2017 - present) Marengo King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family 195 03-22-2021 10:07 AM
King Philippe, Current Events, Part 2 (Sept. 2017 - present) Marengo King Philippe, Queen Mathilde and Family 379 01-19-2021 01:29 PM
The Royal Family of Spain, Current Events Part 23: October 2012 - September 2017 dazzling Royal Family of Spain 410 09-20-2017 06:15 PM




Popular Tags
#royalrelatives #royalgenes abu dhabi american american history ancestry baby names baptism british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house cpr customs dresses duke of sussex earl of snowdon edward vii family tree general news thread george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf hereditary grand duchess stéphanie history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs imperial household jacobite japan jewellery jewelry kensington palace king edward vii list of rulers luxembourg maxima meghan markle monarchy nepal nepalese royal family pless princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess chulabhorn walailak princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria resusci anne royal jewels royalty of taiwan russian court dress spain sussex swedish queen thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh wittelsbach


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:39 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×