Summer Holidays in Mallorca: 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We do not know what prince Felipe really thinks, we only know gossips that often do not come close to reality.

During the Cup the only day that the prince was relaxed and talking to the press, was the day of the trophies he had spent with the family and not sailing. He sails on a ship of the Navy to meet the commitment, but not even sails with his group of friends. He is now in Mallorca with the girls, but with no interest in appear publicly.

If the family plan was simply to return to Madrid, maybe that would be more beneficial for the image of the prince and the current situation of Spain to continue sailing yacht in Mallorca. The press wants Letizia in Mallorca to generate money, but for the majority of Spanish holidays in Majorca are a sight posh.

The only one who seems genuinely interested in continuing the show of Mallorca is queen Sofia, but if her sister, her cousin or friends were not allow in Marivent, probably would not want.

Yesterday I read in a magazine that the princess and girls came two days later, simply because the girls were doing a course in July in Madrid. Sofia is not even old enough to go to sailing school, where her cousins ​​spend 8 hours a day.

I do not know if it was the arrival of the king, or the new information on Cristina and Noos ... but for me it is clear that if Prince is in Mallorca is because there is some issue. All men of the King's House are this week in Marivent. Zarzuela communication has changed from not want to give any details because it is vacation, to explain everything and doing it very clumsy. And when you change your mind so fast, is because there is an interest in giving an information to hide another.

Royal watcher are discussing a possible marriage crisis (Mariangel Alcazar), I don't believe this, F&L will never split up IMO. I find it only natural that partners in a marriage will spend time apart (what in this case unfortunately will nurture the image of the Princess detesting the Mallorca environment).
¿Qué ocurre entre los Príncipes de Asturias? - Noticias El programa de Ana Rosa - EL PROGRAMA DE ANA ROSA

Having said that, they've had the toughest half year of their marriage so far, what must be hard on their relationship, with the Noos case (Cristina & Inaki as neverending SRF reputation killers), personal image desaster ('Adios Princesa') and becoming the target of outrage against institutions (being booed in public).

Summer is a time with no issues, and like every year the press speculates about princess Letizia, because they have to talk about something and she is a very lucrative business (the photographers recognize that without Letizia and girls there is no business). It's crazy nonsense. The other members of the royal family can do what they want, they do not have a critique... but whatever Letizia does she is criticized.

Princess Letizia can not spend a weekend with her mother, going to a concert with friends or go shopping alone ... without the press make a fuss about it. And do it and let the Prince two days with the girls, is the biggest scandal in the world.

But as in this case the Royal House itself has decided to change its policy of not give information about the vacations, seems that either they are the most awkward press office of the world or they wanted the controversy. And in the second case, or is there a lot of desperation to keep Juan Carlos on the throne, or they want to keep the press distracted while the real news emerges (and for that they have used Letizia the past 10 years).

We do not know what prince Felipe really thinks, we only know gossips that often do not come close to reality.

During the Cup the only day that the prince was relaxed and talking to the press, was the day of the trophies he had spent with the family and not sailing. He sails on a ship of the Navy to meet the commitment, but not even sails with his group of friends. He is now in Mallorca with the girls, but with no interest in appear publicly.

If the family plan was simply to return to Madrid, maybe that would be more beneficial for the image of the prince and the current situation of Spain to continue sailing yacht in Mallorca. The press wants Letizia in Mallorca to generate money, but for the majority of Spanish holidays in Majorca are a sight posh.

The only one who seems genuinely interested in continuing the show of Mallorca is queen Sofia, but if her sister, her cousin or friends were not allow in Marivent, probably would not want.

Yesterday I read in a magazine that the princess and girls came two days later, simply because the girls were doing a course in July in Madrid. Sofia is not even old enough to go to sailing school, where her cousins ​​spend 8 hours a day.

I do not know if it was the arrival of the king, or the new information on Cristina and Noos ... but for me it is clear that if Prince is in Mallorca is because there is some issue. All men of the King's House are this week in Marivent. Zarzuela communication has changed from not want to give any details because it is vacation, to explain everything and doing it very clumsy. And when you change your mind so fast, is because there is an interest in giving an information to hide another.

My guess is that Felipe stayed in Mallorca for PR reasons as well since the taxpayer/local government are forking out a lot of money to pay for the royal summer residence ... and in return, they want the royals to stay there and promote the island. It wouldnt be hard for Letizia to stay on another couple of days with her husband to show at least some support ... you cant just bow out because you dont like it. There is no need to expose yourself to paparazzi 24/7, it would be good enough to stay a little longer and just be present.

And if it has become so unbearable, why not give the whole thing up, like the yacht, stop promoting Mallorca specifically and stop the waste of taxpayer's money on the palace if it has become such a burden to fulfill the commitments JC has made a long time ago, and those commitments were for a MUTUAL benefit at the time. But obviously, the roots of the commitment go much deeper with business interests & JC's old boys network, so you cant just leave it, something Letizia has been unwilling to recognize for some time now.

At the copa del rey awards Felipe was asked where is wife was and he said 'somebody has to stay with the girls', what a joke, I wonder who is staying with the girls when the Princes have dinner with friends etc. There is no surprise that the press will focus on Letizia's absence or dislike because its so obvious.

From this perspective, King & especially the Queen are much better in keeping up the facade, they stay in Mallorca and attend events (the King is unable to do any physical stuff like sailing etc but at least he is there).

Letizia (with her daughters) also left Mallorca a couple of days before Felipe two years ago, it was not the first time. The difference seems to be Zarzuela this tims was deliberately feeding the press the news of Letizia leaving the island alone, perhaps the grey men wanted to remove Cristina's Switzerland deal, the new investigation on her tax fraud and money laundering out of the front page news, to have the press started on the marital crisis rumors that can easily prove to be false later. As Lula said, it happened so many times the last few years whenever there was bad news about JC, Cristina or Inaki, there were new rumors about Letizia (related).

poor letizia. she seems to be the scapegoat of this family.

Letizia (with her daughters) also left Mallorca a couple of days before Felipe two years ago, it was not the first time. The difference seems to be Zarzuela this tims was deliberately feeding the press the news of Letizia leaving the island alone, perhaps the grey men wanted to remove Cristina's Switzerland deal, the new investigation on her tax fraud and money laundering out of the front page news, to have the press started on the marital crisis rumors that can easily prove to be false later. As Lula said, it happened so many times the last few years whenever there was bad news about JC, Cristina or Inaki, there were new rumors about Letizia (related).

I agree on the deflecting strategy but didnt Zarzuela agree to be more transparent about the whereabouts/vacation in general after Elephant Gate happened?

I think in the last two years a lot has changed, the Noos case has built up, an elephant was shot, the economic crisis is much worse, since 'Adios Princesa' the press knows that Letizia is fair game within the SRF - no repercussions regardless of what is being written - therefore this year the reactions are more intense in comparison.

The press is all over Mallorca, Letizia didnt go the royal yacht club, the Jaime Anglada concert, copa del rey awards, so no money for them. She showed up at the sailing diploma delivery with the Kings' grandchildren, which wasnt announced beforehand or if so, only very shortly beforehand.

The press wasnt happy with the La Granja photosession which was very limited for the press (the media wasnt allowed to go inside any building with the Asturias family, they were alerted only shortly before the visit, they had to stay at the venue until the Princes had left (!), the location wasn't ideal for a shoot and the press complained about Letizia not speaking more than three words to them.

All in all, the media is annoyed big time, no surprise that they will take it out on Letizia. She and the girls are the cash cows for the press and the Island, and withdrawing herself doesnt go down well, keeping in mind the special and longstanding relation between Mallorca & the SRF. IMO Letizia should at least have done the copa del rey awards as a work commitment, together with the Prince.

If she remains this stubborn, next year she probably doesnt set a foot on Mallorca at all :D

Last edited:
Comments like this always make me laugh.
Unless divorce is in the near future (which I don't believe) why would Zarzuela feed the press with negative stories about Letizia? In a time when they need all the positive press they can get? And with Felipe & Letizia being the future of the monarchy.

My impression of the last years is that Zarzuela actually has very little control over what the press writes. Probably journalists found out that Letizia left the island and the palace simply confirmed it. Letizia is the most interesting/glamourous member of the RF, that's why the - positive and negative - press concentrates on her. And frankly, IMO she makes it easy for them to write negative things.

Unless divorce is in the near future (which I don't believe) why would Zarzuela feed the press with negative stories about Letizia? In a time when they need all the positive press they can get? And with Felipe & Letizia being the future of the monarchy.

My impression of the last years is that Zarzuela actually has very little control over what the press writes. Probably journalists found out that Letizia left the island and the palace simply confirmed it. Letizia is the most interesting/glamourous member of the RF, that's why the - positive and negative - press concentrates on her. And frankly, IMO she makes it easy for them to write negative things.
Why do you feel she makes it easy to write negative things about her? Considering the very dysfunctional family she married into she appears to have done a great job. Prince Felipe has matured into a much more open and secure royal and they have two wonderful little girls. And she has kept her head high despite all the negativity that the King has projected onto her. She has not bought into the high fashion wannabe runway model spending or looks that a few other women married into royal families have done.

For someone not connected to Spain but merely a lifelong royal observer and hobbyist Letizia appears to be a breath of fresh air into a family that has for decades displayed all the signs of being in disarray. She must have a very strong emotional and psychological make-up in order to put up with it all.

I agree with grevinnan, not every women would endure what Letizia has endured since marrying into the Royal family. I think I would go crazy if I were to be in her position.
Girl needs to have some privacy and time with her family, but everytime she goes to meet them, the media goes overboard with all the divorce rumours, bad relations to the Queen and Infantas, etc... Letizia sells, she's the member of the Royal family that sells the most (probably along with her daughters), so any stories made-up will always bring some cash in.
For a women who married for love and let go of such a successfull career, people have been to hard on her, some compliments and positive feedback is sometimes needed, and she needs it IMO.

Why do you feel she makes it easy to write negative things about her? Considering the very dysfunctional family she married into she appears to have done a great job. Prince Felipe has matured into a much more open and secure royal and they have two wonderful little girls. And she has kept her head high despite all the negativity that the King has projected onto her. She has not bought into the high fashion wannabe runway model spending or looks that a few other women married into royal families have done.

For someone not connected to Spain but merely a lifelong royal observer and hobbyist Letizia appears to be a breath of fresh air into a family that has for decades displayed all the signs of being in disarray. She must have a very strong emotional and psychological make-up in order to put up with it all.
Well, I guess we all see what we want to see. I see in your comment a lot of the myths created by Letizia-hard-core-fans (who probably read too many Diana-biographies :)).
The Spanish family has for decades displayed all the signs of being in disarray?
I must have missed that for decades. Perhaps they were dysfunctional but they didn't display it.
Felipe has matured into a much more open and secure royal?
I don't see that.
All the negativity that was projected on her by the king?
Sure, his only aim is to destroy the future of the Spanish monarchy.
And Letizia's annorexic look and beauty operation(s) make it definitely clear that she doesn't give a damn about looks.
(I won't mention all the things she has said and done and not done and worn which made it easy to criticize her.)

I have no insight into the Spanish royal family and don't really know how difficult things are for Letizia. Perhaps she really has done a great job considering all circumstances but I have never read so many negative things about the SRF, the Spaniards, the Spanish press .... until Letizia came along. As I have written before, IMO Letizia has a dividing effect and that's why she isn't exactly a breath of fresh air for the Spanish monarchy.

Last edited:
I agree on the deflecting strategy but didnt Zarzuela agree to be more transparent about the whereabouts/vacation in general after Elephant Gate happened?

:D

Just at the beginning of the vacation, Zarzuela still insisted on the vacation was private, they wouldn't give out any thing regarding the plans of the princes or anyone. Then came Cristina's Switzerland deal, new court investigation on her, suddenly they felt the need to tell the press, even gave them the wrong info on Felipe would spend a few days with his mom after his daughters left.

Compared to the news about the dirty Switzerland deal, or the investigation on tax fraud or money laundering, the news of Letizia was not so negative, at the end, it probably meant nothing. The last few years, everytime there was bad news on C&I or JC, there were rumors about Letizia, too much coincidence, not make people suspicious.

In Spain there is serious press like EFE, ABC, El Pais, also tabloids. The serious press like EFE or ABC is pro monarchy, they usually don't write rumors , they report because they get the news from the press office of Zarzuela. This time the news of Letizia leaving the island was from serious press first. The main issue is that Zarzuela not only gave them the news they just insisted a few days ago to be private (of course before the news on Cristina), they also gave the press the wrong info such as 'Felipe will stay a few more days with his mother after his daughters leaves on Friday' to feud the rumors purposely IMO.

Last edited:
I have no insight into the Spanish royal family and don't really know how difficult things are for Letizia. Perhaps she really has done a great job considering all circumstances but I have never read so many negative things about the SRF, the Spaniards, the Spanish press .... until Letizia came along. As I have written before, IMO Letizia has a dividing effect and that's why she isn't exactly a breath of fresh air for the Spanish monarchy.

You really gave Letizia too much credit. Where did she get the power to divide or unite the SRF family or Spain ? At best when she didn't behave so perfectly as others wished, she became the scapegoat.

If Cristina and Inaki hadn't been involved in the business scandal, perhaps the SRF would still be playing a happy and close family just as the other RFs in the Europe. Time has changed, the press is more open (also ruthless) now with the internet, Italians own 50% of the Spanish media, they are in the business to make money. I doubt in any other country a wife leaving 3 days before her hubby and kids from a family vacation would be considered such a 'crime', likely wouldn't even hear a beep from their press.

Last edited:
There is nothing strange that a married couple spends some day separately on their holidays - Mette-Marit is in Portofino with Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus, and Haakon is in Lofoten with Marius. No fuss about that at the norwegian press. And after seeing the photos of Mette-Marit I can easily understand that Felipe and Letizia want to find a place where they will not be photographed and can have a private holiday.
Probably it was great fun for the little infantas to spend a couple of days in Zurich with their mother, they had just spent a couple of days with their father in Mallorca.

Last edited:
There is nothing strange that a married couple spends some day separately on their holidays - Mette-Marit is in Portofino with Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus, and Haakon is in Lofoten with Marius. No fuss about that at the norwegian press. And after seeing the photos of Mette-Marit I can easily understand that Felipe and Letizia want to find a place where they will not be photographed and can have a private holiday.
Probably it was great fun for the little infantas to spend a couple of days in Zurich with their mother, they had just spent a couple of days with their father in Mallorca.

Of course there is nothing strange if a married couple spends sometime separately. Specially when the married couple is working, breathing the same job 24/7.

That is, unless you are Letizia....

If you are Letizia you are awful for leaving your husband 2 days on his own with your daughters, while you disappear to Mars or somewhere the press know nothing about. Of course then the marriage is in trouble, you can't stand the SRF, and you are bringing the monarchy down on your lonesome own.

Geee, Letizia surely has some serious power in a monarchy Juan Carlos and Sofia have always fully controlled. Ooops, forgot that apparently JC can't stand her, and Sofia is too traumatised to do anything except being alone (while her sister Irene is living on Spanish tax payers supported residences, of course). Meanwhile the family is being brought down by the granddaughter of a bloody taxi driver, while "mama" supports her misunderstood daughter Cristina. How dare Letizia leave Majorca two days before her husband and daughters? :innocent:

Seriously, one of the reasons I rarely log in is because I don't want to read the amount of sheer crap/innuendo that gets thrown at Letizia just because some posters love gossip and believe anything the yellow press say against her.

Last edited:

The outer signs of inner turmoil are there. Very plain to see, at least for me. She handles herself well in public but I have never bought into the idea that she is as together on the inside as she appears to be, even in the early days of the marriage.

I feel bad for her at times, but like Masako of Japan I think she is not a great match for the position in life that she has committed herself to. I wouldn't trade places for all the tea in China. :sad:

El Príncipe, molesto con la actitud de Letizia - Noticias de Casas Reales

Felipe is annoyed that the 'stubborn' actions of his wife are being used to affect his image too (marriage crisis, cant 'control' his wife or make her fulfil her commitments re the Mallorca etc). Even if Letizia doesnt give a hoot about the press coverage, she still needs to think about how her actions reflect (or are being used to reflect) badly on Felipe.

Officially, was Prince Felipe himself who change plans, therefore he is responsible, is not angry with himself?

The Royal House and the press should go to a psychiatrist ... turn Letizia the blame for everything always, when members of the Royal Family (and politicians, employers, unions) are involved in many serious scandals is a pathetic appeal.

This time some are taking a step further attacks Letizia, what is the reason? Too corrupt in this country desperate to cover up their scandals? Afraid to change? Policy strategy?

We'll wait sitting and see where this story ends.

Back
Top Bottom