Summer Holidays in Mallorca: 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isnt it sad that a child is not being allowed to be a child? I read some comments about Felipe Marichalar where he is ridiculed as 'fat' or other kids are labelled 'bratty' because they have to be disciplined by their parents when they attend events, or very small children like the Danish twins start crying and people comment on bad parenting, gosh, what do people think, that royal children are some kind of supernatural human beings, this is reality and it should be accepted instead of training children to be fake and unnatural in public, always supercontrolled without any emotion.

I am really glad that both the Palma and the Lugo children will have an escape route, they can do what they want at some point, can move abroad and have a life where nobody knows or cares if they are grandchildren or nephews or nieces of the King of Spain, just have a normal life.

When I see Leonor & Sofia and the environment they grow up in, the media pressure / hostile environment towards the institution they will have to represent, I can only feel sorry for them, already from a young age not to be allowed to be who they are in public, drilled to perform to the pleasure of the media or public. Its a Jekyll & Hyde life, I wonder if Sofia will pull through this as she doesnt have to as spare, but will feel supportive of her sister, who has no way out.

I tend to agree. I think Felipe and Letizia are doing everything in their power to protect these girls from the brutal, brutal Spanish press, which is why the are held and why the are "controlled." It certainly does not help that they will grow up to be women - public opinion is always more brutal with women.

It also does not help that this family must conduct themselves like some sort of Holy Family, to remind the Spanish public that this is the face of the monarchy, not Uncle Inaki.

I agree - there's a lot of pressure heaped on these two girls, but consciously and subconsciously. Much like the pressure heaped on Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret Rose to deflect from Uncle David and Aunt Wallis.

Glad to see the inclusion of The Infanta Elena this year :previous:

I found an article in Hello which says that Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofia collected diplomas from Queen Sofia at the sailing competition. I think they helped Queen Sofia collect the awards, but the language used in the article sounds like they actually competed in the Copa del Rey:
Princess Letizia looks on as her daughters, Princess Leonor and Princess Sofia earn sailing certificates from Queen Sofia - hellomagazine.com

Thanks again everyone for posting the lovely photos of the Asturias family on their summer holiday. I like the photos from La Granja (I've been to La Granja; it's interesting and they have very nice doughnuts and chorizo! :p). Leonor reminds me of her mother a lot, whilst Sofia reminds me of Juan Carlos as a child. The Infantas are both really tall; like others here I think Sofia will be taller than Leonor.

More photos of Infanta Leonor and Infanta Sofia (they're mainly of Sofia) at La Granja, found on Tumblr:
One ~ Two ~ Three ~ Four ~ Five ~ Six ~ Seven ~ ~ Eight ~ Nine

Last edited:
I'm only stating my opinion, no need to agree with me. I don't see anything natural in these family outings, to me it looks completely choreographed and overcontrolled.

I have never seen any royal kid at school age (after pre-school) acting out in public or throwing tantrums, sorry. Most of them look comfortable and natural in public, as if they wouldn't really notice the cameras. Having said that, most other royal kids are more present in public while the Spanish kids are seen maybe three, four times a year. I can understand where they are coming from, with the Dutch, Danes or Norwegians usually receiving a positive press and no vicious gossip, other than in Spain where you have to appear picture-model-perfect in front of the press.

I have seen school age royal kids acting up, seeking attention (girls) or being naughty (boys). Froilan at 15 is still a bit naughty sometimes, he got himself into trouble these days in the press.

It was a choreographed visit, everyone knows, don't see what's the issue. They were in a new farm, not in their own familiar garden, or an amusement part, running around in the hiking trails would be dangerous. During 11/2-hour tour, it's only natural to see different 'faces' (joy, bored, tired, whatever) of them, but overall they have always been well behaved girls.

Princess Letizia and infanta Elena have returned to Madrid today. The Prince and the girls would have to go back too, but finally decided to extend their stay a few days in Mallorca.

Doa Letizia regresa a Madrid con la Infanta Doa Elena - ABC.es

Mallorca must be such an awful place that Letizia can't even bear to stay there with her family a few days longer after arriving late/now leaving as early as possible. It doesnt reflect well on her or Felipe IMO.

Sofia Snr. allowed her grandchildren so bring some friends to Marivent in order to bring some normality to the situation.
Noticias de Casas Reales - El príncipe Felipe evita a su hermana Cristina

That was a quick visit by Letizia,but I'm glad the Prince and his daughters will stay longer on the island.

Mallorca must be such an awful place that Letizia can't even bear to stay there with her family a few days longer after arriving late/now leaving as early as possible. It doesnt reflect well on her or Felipe IMO.

Sofia Snr. allowed her grandchildren so bring some friends to Marivent in order to bring some normality to the situation.
Noticias de Casas Reales - El príncipe Felipe evita a su hermana Cristina

It is so easy to judge... Letizia has a 93-year-old grandfather, she might want to spend time with him, or her grandmother, or her mother or sister, or she may have an earlier made appointment. While looking at Letizia and Felipe, and them with the girls, they look to have a very warm and healthy relationship with eachother and inside their family.

Prince Felipe is who changed their plans, the whole family was going back yesterday, and the princess alredy had something planned in Madrid, so she continued with her plans and commitments. Maybe let the king and queen alone in Marivent does not seem the best of ideas, and the King does not seem to have much mobility.

Neither was expected to Infanta Elena was at dinner, she usually always go with her children that must return to their father. However, the children traveled alone with the bodyguard on sunday and infanta Elena stayed for three days more.

Duke, I know you love Vanitatis, but once more they write lies. Prince Felipe and Infanta Cristina have never been on the island at the same time. Infanta Cristina took her children on Sunday and on Monday returned to Barcelona. Prince Felipe was on Monday in Santiago de Compostela and arrived to Mallorca on Tuesday night.

LadyFinn, Letizia's grandfather is 95 years old.

Everytime Felipe changed his plan at the last minute without giving an explanation usually ended up looking bad on his wife in the press, it started with his decision to attend his uncle's birthday replacing his father, leaving his wife and two daughters going to Portugal by themselves to visit their friends. On the other hand, I doubt Letizia has that important thing in Madrid (I could be wrong) during the summer holiday time, hopefully she is not going back to buy Varela's awful clothes again. I heard Varela lives in Paris now, he only comes to Madrid once a month for a couple of days.
Did you notice that the King has become fat again ? I wonder what's going on with his health.

Last edited:
Duke, I know you love Vanitatis, but once more they write lies. Prince Felipe and Infanta Cristina have never been on the island at the same time. Infanta Cristina took her children on Sunday and on Monday returned to Barcelona. Prince Felipe was on Monday in Santiago de Compostela and arrived to Mallorca on Tuesday night.

;););) I was only referring to the part of the article that Queen Sofia tried to get some normality into her grandchildren's lifes, allowing them to invite some friends to Marivent. As you already said earlier, Felipe had another run-in with the press, shouted at them, and Sofia seems quite concerned about him. He is 15 now, difficult age, even more difficult to control.

Noticias de Casas Reales - La pelea de Froilán con su primo Pablo

I heard Varela lives in Paris now, he only comes to Madrid once a month for a couple of days.
Did you notice that the King has become fat again ? I wonder what's going on with his health.

I though JC looked ok, not as bad as earlier this year
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/...+Official+Dinner+Authorities+nIHDD7UvYcDl.jpg

I heard about Varela living in Paris now too. Of course that's the place to be for a world class designer :innocent: I don't get the obsession with Varela and his mediocre designs at all, ignoring most Spanish designers, especially the small ones who battle for survival, but supporting a man who doesnt even live in the country any longer.

Yes donna, in the end many times prince Felipe changes his plans to meet his parents and sisters, and in the end Letizia always pays.

Also, the press always forget that princess Letizia has her own family, and we don´t know how they are organized. Perhaps if she had as queen Sofia free to invite family and friends when and where she wants, things would be different.

<sight>

I've never quite understood why some people in this forum have so many problems with Letizia, Leonor and Sofia.

Leonor and Sofia are stunning looking girls receiving a first class education.
So it should be considering they are 2nd and 3rd to the throne in Spain.

They may be still shy in front of dozens of photographers considering their age (Leonor is not yet 8) but it doesn't mean they're are "robots" or "controlled". Leonor is not more controlled than Amalia of the Netherlands or Elizabeth of Belgium. All sweet kids learning early on about their responsibilities ahead.......a heck of a responsibility considering they'd be Head of the State of their own countries.

As to those posters who prefer reading the crap/yellow press in Vanitatis, there is a less gossip driven but a more realistic article....

Letizia, detrás del posado mallorquín. Un posado, muy pensado

Enjoy :whistling:

Last edited:
According to Hola, Irene had an accident on Saturday in Marivent. She hit in the head playing in the pool and spent 24 hours under observation in hospital.

Primicia, el gran susto de la reina Sofía: Irene Urdangarin ingresada tras una fuerte caída en la piscina

It also says that the king back tomorrow to Madrid, and infantas Leonor and Sofia return with him on the official plane. The Prince will stay the weekend with his mother.

El rey don Juan Carlos vuelve mañana a Madrid con las infantas Leonor y Sofía y el Príncipe se queda en Mallorca

Hola has changed the news ... Now the write that was a slight hit and Irene was only half an hour in the hospital ... and this in Spain is called journalism. :bang:

Poor little Irene. But this often happens with kids when they are playing.

Pity there was no group photo of the King with his grandchildren this summer.

Indeed Felipe changed his plan at the last minute, but it was known that he had wanted to spend more days in Mallorca this year due to the rough situation in Spain and in the SRF itself. At the end he was not able to convince his wife to stay with him in Mallorca for more days, she still came in late, left as soon as the 'duties' were over.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom