Summer Holidays in Mallorca: 2011-2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
could well be ;)
How much the enthusiasm of the early years has gone when Letizia couldnt wait to show up at Nautical club with her supposed best friend, the Queen, and show the united family front. In the meantime, the glamour has worn off completely.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/51...BF235EF8496D40B6A72BB1BDA5A23E30A760B0D811297
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/75...48BBB4E76A10C83549320C9F80C4935EE3381EFF18E35

Here we go again with the meme of Letizia bored with royal life :bang:

Consider the following logic.

Situation 1: A new bride enters a royal family with a really steep uphill challenge to adjusting to the royal life. What does the queen do - to make her adjustment easier and help her adapt, befriends her and shows her the way. The new bride gets the most attention of the parent in law, as she is in need of the most attention/love/support
Time passes, the two live in the same compound, and get along famously. Behind the scenes, the now old-bride makes a lot of effort to see that her girls are as intimate as possible with their grand-parents as well as grand-aunt (queen's sister) Lots of stories on how the now old bride takes her little girls in their prams to visit with their grandmother and grand-aunt almost daily.

Life goes on

Situation 2: One of Queen's own daughters moves abroad with her family. Another sends her son abroad. The Queen now sees her grandchildren from her two daughters rarely, while she sees her daughter-in-law and her girls on almost a daily basis. What does the queen do? She now shifts her attention to her daughters and kids during the precious little time that she sees them, e.g. summer holidays, as they deserve her complete love/attention/support.

What does the daughter-in-law do? Being secure in the affections of the queen and not being a needy person, looking to upstage her sis-in-laws at every event, gives them a few days of pure mother-daughter-grandkids hangout. She knows when she arrives, the press circus starts. Additionally, maybe she takes the same days to recreate the mother-daughter-grandkids holiday with her own mother.

Letizia hatred aside, don't most of us do the same?

Last edited:
jjkg, excellent post ! Also Elena's daughter is going to England to study starting this fall. The Asturian family lives next door to Zarzuela, it's only logical that Sofia spends more time with her other grandchildren during the summer holidays since they will be all far away when the school starts.
JC had a meeting with the PM on Monday in Mallorca . I doubt Zarzuela wanted the media circus overshadowing the King's official activities.

And do not forget this... these photos of the Queen, her daughters, grandchildren and different relatives enjoying the Fortuna and the Somni are taken because the Princess and her daughters are no there.

The Spanish press is very hypocritical, and while some enjoy the privileges, others working more, are strongly criticized if they enjoy them. We have not seen Princess Letizia and Infanta Leonor a in royal yacht since 2008, and the only time that we saw the Infanta Sofía, she was 4 months old.

Queen Sofía, Princess Irene, Infanta Elena, Iñaki Urdangarín and his children in the Somni on Saturday

Froilán playing in the Fortuna on Sunday

[/URL]
How many yachts does the SRF have? Somni and Fortuna?

Here we go again with the meme of Letizia bored with royal life :bang:

What does the daughter-in-law do? Being secure in the affections of the queen and not being a needy person, looking to upstage her sis-in-laws at every event, gives them a few days of pure mother-daughter-grandkids hangout. She knows when she arrives, the press circus starts. Additionally, maybe she takes the same days to recreate the mother-daughter-grandkids holiday with her own mother.

How does questioning why Letizia hasn't made an appearance yet = hatred of Letizia?

could well be ;)
How much the enthusiasm of the early years has gone when Letizia couldnt wait to show up at Nautical club with her supposed best friend, the Queen, and show the united family front. In the meantime, the glamour has worn off completely.

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/51...BF235EF8496D40B6A72BB1BDA5A23E30A760B0D811297
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/75...48BBB4E76A10C83549320C9F80C4935EE3381EFF18E35

How does questioning why Letizia hasn't made an appearance yet = hatred of Letizia?

Emmily, Of course not! DoM was not questioning why she was not there yet.

Rather DoM's comment was a continuance of the narrative, across threads, of "Letizia wanting to flee royal life". Witness the passive aggressive swipe at Letizia's relationship with her mother-in-law. And just to be clear that the question is not again of the nature of the narrative, but that it has been pulled out of thin air and is being reinforced whenever possible, when there has not been a single shred of evidence.

If she can posit and continue this "pulled out of air" narrative, surely I can push back when it gets too much for me? ;)

:flowers::flowers::flowers:

Excuses, excuses...it is strange that Letizia is not there. The King should have been the last one to get there. Also, Felipe and his sisters look quite happy and relaxed without Letizia...

Excuses, excuses...it is strange that Letizia is not there. The King should have been the last one to get there. Also, Felipe and his sisters look quite happy and relaxed without Letizia...

Why ? He should be the first one to be there IMO :cool:. Although Mallorca was the summer vacation choice of Sofia, JC was the one who had agreed to accept perks from the business men in Mallorca (including the yacht). They are all on holiday and sailing, why would they not be happy or relaxed (as they always did with or without Letizia) ? Plus the first day sailing is like a semi photo session, whether they like it or not, they will keep up the appearance.

Last edited:

Actually, IIRC, King and Queen have usually been the first to arrive as the King, along with King Harold of Norway, participate in the regattas. Then Elena and Cristina come along, followed by Felipe. Letizia and her daughters are usually the last to arrive and first to leave.

But let the facts not get in the way ;);) Let the fun and speculations continue:flowers:

ETA:
She is only a day or two late. There could be a 101 reasons why Letizia is taking a few days as her own personal time. It could be anything from needing to spend time with her own family...to...wanting a bit of a break from Felipe. No matter how much couples love each other, sometimes they need a break from one another, especially with these two being in each others pockets 24/7.
If we had seen other signs of disquiet between Letizia and Felipe, then this kind of speculation may have some merit. But all we have seen is continuance of their usual need for each other. But no one knows what happens behind closed doors.

Last edited:
jjkg, even if Letizia and the girls came early, they likely wouldn't see Felipe much. Usually those crew members were hanging out together after the practice or competition. She probably doesn't want her hubby to be laughed at by his teammates again after he said he couldn't hang out with them after the sailing and needed to go home to have dinner with his girls.

I think she was probably spending some time with her own parents, sister Telma. She was seen with Telma at the concert of Bon Jovi last Wed in Barcelona. People tend to forget Letizia also has a sister who is close to her and probably wants to spend some time together just like Elena and Cristina.

jjkg, even if Letizia and the girls came early, they likely wouldn't see Felipe much. Usually those crew members were hanging out together after the practice or competition. She probably doesn't want her hubby to be laughed at by his teammates again after he said he couldn't hang out with them after the sailing and needed to go home to have dinner with his girls.

I think she was probably spending some time with her own parents, sister Telma. She was seen with Telma at the concert of Bon Jovi last Wed in Barcelona. People tend to forget Letizia also has a sister who is close to her and probably wants to spend some time together just like Elena and Cristina.

DonnaK, excellent point about Telma vis-avis Cristina and Elena.:flowers: Letizia and Telma's relationship must be even more poignant given Erica's demise. And given Letizia's royal duties, plus different cities, they rarely see each other

PS: good point about Felipe's friends laughing at him:lol:

It almost looks like some family members were summoned up, after the critizism of the last years, to promote Mallorca the "old" way: by sailing and spending some time on the yacht. Letizia doesnt sail or like the yacht, therefore could stay away because, as other posters suggest, would have spoilt the photo op of the others.
Whatever, it remains a shame that the girls dont get to spend time with their cousins, at least Leonor is the same age as Irene who is alongside the older children all the time.
I am curious if the Borbon girls will have to follow the sportif tradition of the family and soon learn to (publicly) sail, ski or do whatever, just like Felipe and his sisters.

Letizia doesn't do regatta, probably doesn't like watching regatta (how boring !), but I doubt she doesn't like sunbathing on a high-speed luxurious yacht Fortune. Ummmm, who doesn't like Fortune that costed a fortune (10 mil ?) ?
Felipe and Letizia have their own circle of friends, most of them have children, for example, Felipe's cousins Cristina de Borbon dos Sicilias, Beltran and Bruno Gomez-Acebo. They are also said to keep in good contact with parents of classmates of their daughters, Leonor and Sofia don't lack playmates or friends.
Somehow I think the Asturias might spend more days in Malloca this year. They likely will go to their own private holiday after the visit of the Pope, will not return to Mallorca since the dinner with the local officials has already been moved up to Aug 6th (this Friday).

Letizia and the girls haven`t started their holiday yet and this thread is already ruined by those who spread malicious comments about her and speculation. I wonder why I`m still going to this forum...

Letizia doesn't do regatta, probably doesn't like watching regatta (how boring !), but I doubt she doesn't like sunbathing on a high-speed luxurious yacht Fortune. Ummmm, who doesn't like Fortune that costed a fortune (10 mil ?) ?

Maybe Letizia likes to be at the Fortuna, but I have read during the years that she is never sunbathing (me neither!). Letizia promotes the skin cancer campaign and says that being tanned doesn´t mean you´re beautiful.
Letizia: “Estar moreno no es estar guapo” | Política y Moda

I hope that Letizia has spent these last days with her grandfather and mother. It´s precious time for Letizia, Leonor and Sofia being able to enjoy the company of Letizia´s very old grandfather, you should cherish this time.
It seems to many people to be always so fine to see Felipe, Cristina and Elena together. But when Letizia spends some time with Telma, there is something wrong. :ermm: Letizia has already lost one sister, so it is easy to understand how important Telma is to her.

Regarding Harald of Norway ..... is it likely that, under the cicumstances, he will take his holidays with the Spanish this year ??

I dont blame her not to be into sailing, I believe its difficult to get into it if you dont have any relation to watersports as a kid and your parents arent wealthy enough to afford it. It isnt anyone's cup of tea, wouldnt be mine either.
Are you being ironical regarding having fun on the yacht? Seriously, I dont think there is any fun element to it, the Fortune is relatively small, photographers all around, smell of fuel, having to take seasick pills and watch some boats and the Borbon men sail?
I have no doubt that every single member of the SRF, maybe apart from the kids, who spends time on the Fortune doesnt do it for fun but because of fulfilling their commitments, its "work" so to day (at least in the bay area). It may be different when out of sight of the photographers near the remote islands, eg where the Letizia bikini shot was done a few years ago.

Regarding Harald of Norway ..... is it likely that, under the cicumstances, he will take his holidays with the Spanish this year ??

I doubt it, first because of the tragedy and second because he got the most fun out of sailing with his buddy JC who wont be able to go on a boat this summer anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Letizia will make an appearance with the girls when they decide too. It doesn't mean because the whole family is already there that she has to be. Maybe she is spending some time with her family. Letizia has been with the royal family all year long, some time away on her on with the girls is what any many family members would do, royal or not, so just give the poor women a break IMO.

Duke, Yacht Fortuna is a big yacht (sure it's not like a royal caribbean cruise ship), Somni is small. The SRF usually sat on Somni watching the race, I know it was more a commitment, a show, I doubt anyone really enjoyed it.

http://www.merchantships.info/albums/userpics/10003/normal_fortuna~0.jpg
MERCHANTSHIPS.info - Fortuna/Fortuna

Yes I was talking about Somni that they wouldnt possibly enjoy but it might be different on the Fortuna that will sail out of sight of the paparazzi.

jjkg

Wow, you consider some snarky remarks within a legitimate discussion "hatred"? Pretty strong words that I don't identify my contributions to this forum with. There are other forums around where something is practised that I would classify as "hatred", but thankfully not on TRF.

Is the woman in the picture the daughter of Infanta Margarita?

Its hard to tell but it could well be Doña Maria Zurita,I recall she was there last year also with the Infantas.

Letizia or no Letizia, the family seems to be enjoying themselves, especially Felipe. It´s been a long time that I have seen him so happy and close to his sisters (especially Cristina who is sailing too). Mind you, PLEASE don´t interpret I´m insinuating it´s because Letizia is not there. Whatever the reasons, I´m glad they are happy and together and I feel sorry that the two infantitas can´t be closer to their cousins like little Irene is. Especially since these cousins are returning to the States soon and the other two are going to England to study.

Its hard to tell but it could well be Doña Maria Zurita,I recall she was there last year also with the Infantas.

María Zurita, Infanta Margarita's daughter, arrived yesterday at the club with the Infanta Elena, and was seen in pictures with her aunt the Queen and her cousin Elena in the Sommi the other day.
It seems that now that both cousins are single they are each other "partner" ;)

I'm sure all will be glad to know that the Princess, the young Infantas, the Queen, Irene and Victoria(i.e., all the girls of the family except the Infanta Elena) are in the Club to send off the Infanta Cristina and the Prince to the race :p

I'm sure all will be glad to know that the Princess, the young Infantas, the Queen, Irene and Victoria(i.e., all the girls of the family except the Infanta Elena) are in the Club to send off the Infanta Cristina and the Prince to the race :p
Thanks, AnaC, for the info! :flowers:
Where have you seen that? Any phtos yet?:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom