State Visit from The Philippines to Spain: December 3-5, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Sofía looked stunning during this gala evening! She looked really elegant! Well, and the Tiara she wore is one of my favorites! :clap:

Oh and Letizia finally got a third Tiara. Good choice, IMO.
It looked great on her!
The skirt of her two-parts dress was beautiful! I'm not too fond of the top part of the dress.
But hey... a new Tiara! ;)

Yes, Isabel Preysler is curtseying to Prince Felipe

oh I love Isabel Preysler!!!...She is the real epitome of class and beauty..She has five kids--( one of her babies is the hottie Enrique Iglesias )..despite of having five kids and her older age she manages to stay glamorous and sexy as always!!!!...Its soooo lovely to see her attending the Spanish Royal family's gala for our President..Its good to see that she never forgets her Filipino roots..

I think Letizia's skirt looked lovely with that silk blose she wear in New York but I don't like to see it with this white top!It doesn't macht at all with the skirt!!

it's not my favourite gala gown of hers but it definitely looks elegant and appropriate. the hairdo and make up are superb!

isabel preysler was there as well! i quite expected her. i have mixed feelings about her, but she also looked elegant, as ever, and most ladies need to take on her example to curtsy! that was a real, perfect curtsy to the prince and princess. esperanza aguirre also does it wonderfully. what a grace both ladies have! others, such as gallardon's wife, should really learn from them!

Lovely pictures everyone, thank you for sharing them. Queen & Letizia looked nice from day one though not too sure about Queens suit yesterday at the palace. How long from the welcoming ceremony to the palace meeting is it? Seems quite a a fair amount of time, since the queen was able to change.

The dinner, well, Queen sparkled in her lovely layerd black gown and the tiara really looked nice with it. Letizia looked lovely & finally a brand new tiara for her, she does know how to wear them well.

I have to agree with many of you by saying that the top did not fit the skirt. The skirt is lovely and is a wonderful piece to recycle but I would love to see it with a different top. Just a thought here but, I would actually love to see an entire dress made from this fabric with the same simple design for Letizia.

My humble opinion about Letizia's gala appearance:
1. The make-up is soft-toned utterly refined
2. The shell-shape-with-pearls, low-height tiara is a masterpiece (who by??) and so are the matching earrings.
3. The white top is a "large fit" but, in disagreement with some esteemed discussants herein, I feel, it is right and compliments her due to her slim structure and the fabric's heaviness [does it have paillettes and rhinestones - couldn't tell exactly] and texture.
4. The skirt adds contemporary chic and mellows the severity of the black-white sharp contrast.

On the negative side:
Due to its size and the green-and-yellow/gold color-code, the decoration(?)/brooch(?) diminishes the drama and overall elegance. It should have been on the same scheme as the tiara and earrings.

A big "boo-boo":
The width of the red sash was extremely big and overwhelming [it should have been 30% narrower]. It made her look as if she never wore a sash before, much thinner than she really is, and diminished the overall effect.

Overall:
Outstanding appearance. It is sad though that, although it could easily have been perfect, it wasn't.
For the first time, in my eyes, she looked middle-aged. There is nothing wrong, of course, with being middle-aged but looking middle-aged before one's time is problematic.

Last edited:
Deeply appreciated Duke of Marmalade.
Actually, this is the only elegant exception among Spanish tiaras. All the others are and look byzantine/heavy/gaudy. Their huge size, height, angulated-pointed shape as well as daedal-baroque design somehow puts me off. The same is true, in my opinion, about the Bernadotte tiaras.
In contrast, it is hard to find an ugly tiara in the British Collection.

Although Tiaras are a part of a Royal family to me nowadays they should be left at a museum!

A big "boo-boo":
The width of the red sash was extremely big and overwhelming [it should have been 30% narrower]. It made her look as if she never wore a sash before, much thinner than she really is, and diminished the overall effect.

I too wish that the sash was narrower because it seems to overwhelm Princess Letizia's petite frame. But can anything really be done about the width of a sash if it's part on an order?

I know for Denmark's Order of the Elephant, the blue sashes have different widths for men and women. The width for the women is more flattering but for the order that Letizia wears (what order is she wearing, by the way?), perhaps there is only one width.

-Ayvee

The Mellerio Shell is beautiful, one of my favorites!, it is great to see Letizia wearing it, she looks beautiful. :flowers:

That skirt is beautiful so is the tiara but she looks so extremely skinny is not even fun, is really sad, if I were family I will be really concerned, nobody wants to speak about it but she doesn't look healthy, when things happens then everybody felt awful for being so blind but at least some of us did speak about it.
Is her family blind? his spouse? that aspect is screaming "I need help", is beyond "I'm skinny by nature" and she's not the shadow of herself three years ago.

I guess is more political correct speak about how good this outfit suit her even when you can tell it weights to much for her or how beautiful shoes meanwhile she is falling appart.

I have to agree here in general. Looking at recent pics of the Princess of Asturias, you cannot deny that she represents the typical picture of a woman who has an eating disorder. If this is actually the truth or not I don't know - we all don't - but I feel a bit uneasy about not mentioning the obvious.
Actually, I refrained from writing about the Mellorio shall tiara (although it is indeed perfect for her) or what I think about her gown (which is indeed something of a mis-match) because my real thoughts when opening the newest pics were all about how alarmingly skinny she has become by now.

I can´t agree with you that the princess is now thinner than ever.
Here´s a photo taken 31.1.2005:
ANP Beeldbank
This was taken 1.8.2006
ANP Beeldbank
This was taken yesterday:
ANP Beeldbank
I don´t think that the princess is now thinner than in 2005 or 2006.
I also think that the princess looks now healthy and happy, although she is very slender. I appreciate very much the great work the princes of Asturias do and I don´t care if the princess is a little thinner than some other princess.

Regarding the skirt, I don't know what to say. Yes it's a pretty skirt (by Caprile) but yesterday it was being recycled for the fourth time. On the last occasions it has always been this mix and match with old skirts and new or altered or recylcled tops and not for the better but for the worse. I don't get the unability to provide a proper gala dress for Letizia. One phone call to Caprile would be enough and ask him to design a couple of nice gala dresses which can be recycled during the next 30 years as Princess or as Queen.

You sounded so easy. Who is paying ? :) It's the end of year, maybe she is running out of the clothes budget. I doubt the top is from Caprile, the sleeves looks very Varela, likely she got it with a cheap price.
The white top is OK, too old fashioned, suits an older woman better. It reminds me of one of Sonja's white dress.

This is a very nice photo:
PPE
I love the joy at Letizia´s face :flowers:

On the topic of the decoration and the sash, it is not anything that the Princess could control. The decoration is Philipine, and the normal thing is that they were delivering it the same day in the lunch.

The Spanish decoration that the Princess takes is always the Order of Carlos III that has the sash blue and white, if the decoration is different is that it is from the country visitor.

I stand on my former opinion: Letizia needs to fire Varela, most of her clothing makes her look like she is Zarzuela Employee of the Month who won the opportunity to have a day with the Royal Family :ermm:

Caprile, Schlesser or del Pozo would be top choices for her, I'm not saying she has to spend Spain's whole GDP on it, but a little investment would be nice ;)

And I think she has ups and downs with her weight: she looks very pretty at her pregnancies and thin the rest of the time, specially at the lactancy time, it doesn't mean she has an eating disorder but also doesn't mean she looks nice; she simply would look better with 5 more kg or so, I would say the same if someone would need to lose 5kg ;)

Leti looks great but skinny that's right.
I don't know why but I thought that I'll see her in Mellerio tiara with other gown. Her gala/evening outfit was great but... maybe the top like this which she wore when they announced that she is expecting (with Leo:huh:)

There is criticism of the size of the Filipino president's entourage in the Philipines and the official felt the need to defend it by saying King Juan Carlos paid for part of the expense. I'm skeptical JC would pay for a presidnet's entourage. Here is an Australian article:

Arroyo allies win trip to Spain | The Australian

The entourage does seem unusually large with all the families tagging along.

Now back to the usual weight and fashion comments... :rolleyes:

Julio Iglesias' ex looks beautiful. It seems that she never ages. What a beautiful and classy lady. Letizia on the other hand--no comment!

There is criticism of the size of the Filipino president's entourage in the Philipines and the official felt the need to defend it by saying King Juan Carlos paid for part of the expense. I'm skeptical JC would pay for a presidnet's entourage. Here is an Australian article:

Arroyo allies win trip to Spain | The Australian

The entourage does seem unusually large with all the families tagging along.

Now back to the usual weight and fashion comments... :rolleyes:

I am actually embarrassed by this visit, and by the nerve of our officials. they claim they paid for their own tickets, etc. and now, they incredulously claim that it was King Juan Carlos who paid part of the expense. who are they kidding?! besides, why would the King bother with them?

please people, don't believe any single word from our government officials (and because we Filipinos don't believe in them either :D).

Just how short is the phillipines president?
she's around 4'11. the last time someone checked, she could qualify for Guiness world record as shortest president. :D

IICR, isn't Isabel Preysler from the Phillippines? I must say she is so elegant!!
yes, she is. The Preyslers are among the founders of one of the biggest companies in the country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom