State Visit from Qatar to Spain: April 25-27, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it matters that the event is in Spain. In today's connected world, the images will be beamed back to Qatar. It's also about making your guests comfortable. I remember the Swedes were careful to cover up when the Jordanians made a state visit several years ago.

There's also a difference between a dress that is sleeveless (where just the arms are bare) and shoulderless (where the shoulders and arms are mostly or completely bare). Rania has worn one shoulderless dress that I can recall, but she did come under a lot of criticism at the time for doing so, even though she wore the gown in Spain.

Letizia, IMHO, has lost her glam! She dressed like she was ready to go to the office after the luncheon. The dress is not appropriate either...she is always trying too hard, and it does not seem to work. She needs someone to advise her what to wear PRONTO!

Why is Letizia's dress for the dinner inappropriate? Carla Bruni wore a strapless dress when the Emir of Qatar visited France in 2009. I don't think anyone criticized her for wearing it, and her dress even sat very low on her chest, much more "inappropriate" than Letizia's. I only read praises and adulation for Carla's style when she wore this dress.

http://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/88626239/AFP

The other woman was also wearing a strapless dress. So what makes it okay for Carla but wrong for Letizia to wear a dress that shows her shoulders?

I thought Letizia looked wonderful at the dinner. Her hairstyle was lovely and her make-up was perfect. She is one of those women who doesn't need to wear a lot of jewelry to look beautiful. Sheikha Mozah looked very nice, too.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters that the event is in Spain. In today's connected world, the images will be beamed back to Qatar. It's also about making your guests comfortable. I remember the Swedes were careful to cover up when the Jordanians made a state visit several years ago.

There's also a difference between a dress that is sleeveless (where just the arms are bare) and shoulderless (where the shoulders and arms are mostly or completely bare). Rania has worn one shoulderless dress that I can recall, but she did come under a lot of criticism at the time for doing so, even though she wore the gown in Spain.

I don't find any sign of Sheikh and Sheikha looking uncomfortable with one shoulderless dress in Spain or strapless dress in France. They both don't belong to the ultra conservatives (ex. the Saudi King), they are quite westernized. If they were comfortable partying with the Hollywood starlets, why would they blink at a (one) shoulderless dresses ?
Sleeveless and shoulderless are indeed different, but Rania and Letizia are also different status. I would think a Muslim queen with a sleeveless dress would have made a bigger splash than a Spanish princess with a one shoulderless dress for some conservatives although I think neither is a big deal since they both wore the dress in Spain.

I think the fact is that they did not wear tiaras which is very disappointing but because Sheikha Mozah, the Emir's wife was not going to be wearing one. Which I understand why the Spanish royals didn't go for them.

Queen Sofia in black, not bad but not liking the belt of the dress. Letizia looked nice but personally its not a state visit dress. Sheikha Mozah looked lovely. Pity Christina was not there, any reason for it?

Anyone realized that Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas were attending the state dinner :D see pictures here

I think the fact is that they did not wear tiaras which is very disappointing but because Sheikha Mozah, the Emir's wife was not going to be wearing one. Which I understand why the Spanish royals didn't go for them.

Queen Sofia in black, not bad but not liking the belt of the dress. Letizia looked nice but personally its not a state visit dress. Sheikha Mozah looked lovely. Pity Christina was not there, any reason for it?

Anyone realized that Melanie Griffith and Antonio Banderas were attending the state dinner :D see pictures here

The Infanta Cristina had another engagement I believe,Lula posted photos yesterday.

I'm glad we saw an Infanta during a State Visit even if it was only for an official Lunch,it breaks the monotonous rut of just having The King,Queen,Prince & Princess which has become very boring imo.

Letizia looked stunning. Beautiful dress and elegant and sofisticated hair and make-up. In the lunch she looked ok . IMO Mozah was over dressed (she often is) for a midd day meeting. And I don't understand why she greets everyone with her sunglasses on. It's common sense to take off your sunglasses when you talk face to face with somebody.
In the gala Mozah was much better, very elegant and according with the event.
Queen Sofia ...Queen head to toe. Nice to see Cristina attending but why not Elena too?

Spain's Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero (R) shakes hand with the Emir of the State of Qatar Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani at Moncloa palace in Madrid on April 26, 2011. The emir of Qatar arrived in Madrid on April, 25, 2010 on a visit to boost economic ties between the oil-rich Gulf state and Spain, which is seeking new investments to shore up its battered economy.

Belga gallery

Last edited:
Sheikha Mozah is marvellous, she looks always stunning !!
I think Princess Letizia dont look good at lunch but Queen Sofía and Infanta Cristina look perfect.

I'm completely surprised and disappointed by the lack of tiaras, and I don't understand the consideration for the Sheika not wearing a tiara. Firstly Sheikha Mozah has necklaces which can easily outbling an everage tiara (see those gigantic diamonds she wore in GB lately). Secondly tiaras are also usually worn at state banquetts for Presidents, when they, or their wives, won't wear tiaras.
To me it seems that the SRF is deciding to go more and more low key.:sad: And I can't say that I like that.

I'm completely surprised and disappointed by the lack of tiaras, and I don't understand the consideration for the Sheika not wearing a tiara. Firstly Sheikha Mozah has necklaces which can easily outbling an everage tiara (see those gigantic diamonds she wore in GB lately). Secondly tiaras are also usually worn at state banquetts for Presidents, when they, or their wives, won't wear tiaras.
To me it seems that the SRF is deciding to go more and more low key.:sad: And I can't say that I like that.

The fact I think Sheikha Mozah does not wear a tiara is that it will clash with her headscarf. She did not wear a tiara also on the state visit to Britain as well.

Madrid, April 26 (QNA) - HH the Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani paid today a visit to the Municipality of Madrid, where he met with mayor of the city Alberto Ruiz-Gallardon and several members of the municipal council. The Mayor of Madrid delivered a speech in which he welcomed the visit of HH the Emir to the Kingdom of Spain.

Madrid, April 26 (QNA) - HH the Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani received this morning the President of the Spanish Popular Party Mariano Rajoy. During the meeting, they reviewed a number of issues of mutual interest.

Last edited:
The fact I think Sheikha Mozah does not wear a tiara is that it will clash with her headscarf. She did not wear a tiara also on the state visit to Britain as well.

Did any members of the British Royal Family wear tiaras during that visit?

Sheikha Mozah is marvellous, she looks always stunning !!
I think Princess Letizia dont look good at lunch but Queen Sofía and Infanta Cristina look perfect.

Letizia looked 'out of place' so to speak at the lunch,her choice of outfit was terrible & not all befitting the occassion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did any members of the British Royal Family wear tiaras during that visit?

Yes, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Anne & Camilla :flowers:

Spain's Queen Sofia (L) and Qatar's Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser (C) chat with an old man as they collect broad beans during their visit to the Queen Sofia Foundation's Alzheimer Center on 26 April 2011 in Madrid, Spain.

Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3

Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Chairperson of the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development, met this morning President of the Spanish National Heritage Nicholas Martins Fresno and Director of the El Escorial Library Jose Luis in the presence of Queen Sofia, wife of the King of the Kingdom of Spain.

Read more : http://www.qnaol.net/QNAEn/News_bulletin/News/Pages/11-04-26-1701_237_0049.aspx

Madrid, April 26 (QNA) - HH the Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani met at the Senate building in Madrid this afternoon President of the Senate Council Javier Rojo, and the president of the Congress of Deputies Jose Bono. At the beginning of the meeting, the President of the Senate welcomed His Highness and the members of the official delegation.
Following the meeting, HH the Emir toured the Senate Library and listened to explanation about its history and its most important content of books and manuscripts.

Last edited:
I would like to see pics of the visit at the Townhall in Madrid.

No she did not wear a tiara in Britain. But I meant to say that in GB she wore a stunning diamond necklace which was much more eye-catching than an 'average' tiara would be.
Anyway, Sheikha Mozah always looks spectalur and very elegant.
Imo it is a good idea not to wear a tiara with a headscarf, as tiaras are simply designed to be worn with hair. I don't like the look of some Brunei ladies who do wear headscarfs with their tiaras. It just looks strange to me.

Madrid, April 26 (QNA) - HH the Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani and HH Sheikha Moza bint Nasser attended a luncheon hosted by HE Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero at the Cabinet premises today in honor of Their Highnesses and the accompanying delegation.

Yes, Queen Elizabeth, Princess Anne & Camilla :flowers:

Exactly. I dont see any reason why tiaras were banned because of Sheikha Mozah not wearing one, as another poster pointed out neither do other Heads of State on their visits and Sheikha Mozah has enough ammunition to keep up in the jewellery department.

Is this a new level of the toning down stragety of the SRF, no tiaras on State occasions anymore. Whats next, moving out of the palace into a semi-detached house to appear no different from the ordinary Spaniard?:shifty:

Can it simply be because it was a black-tie affair and not white? (Yes, I know that tiaras can be worn to a black-tie affair, altough I never saw the SRF do so, IIRC)

Back
Top Bottom