State visit from Qatar. May 17-18, 2022.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
His Highness the Emir of the State of Qatar, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani will make a state visit to Spain from May 17 to 18.

The Emir of Qatar and his wife will be received by Their Majesties the King and Queen, who will offer a Gala Dinner in their honor.

During his stay in Spain, in addition to holding a meeting with HM the King, he will meet with the President of the Government, Pedro Sánchez and will pay a visit to the Senate, in which the Presidents of the Congress and the Senate, Meritxell Batet and Ander Gil, will award to him the respective Congressional and Senate Medals. He will visit the Madrid City Hall, where the Mayor of the city, José Luis Martínez-Almeida, will present him with the Golden Key of the City of Madrid.

With this visit to the highest level, the Kingdom of Spain and the State of Qatar raise the bilateral relationship to a strategic level, with the signing of Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding in various areas of collaboration, such as economics, investment, education, judicial, health and scientific, among others.

https://www.exteriores.gob.es/es/Co...aginas/2022_COMUNICADOS/20220513_COMU033.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a strange dress code, Juan Carlos and Felipe in white tie, Sofia with a small ribbon, Letizia just black tie.. I hope its white tie with Tiaras this time. Maybe it was scaled down due the economic crisis back then.
Yes it was and the old phrase 'When in Rome, Do as the Romans Do' comes to mind :whistling:

King Felipe already welcomed Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani at the El Pardo Palace in Madrid today, May 16.

** Pic ** casareal ** ppe gallery **

Last edited:
Videos to follow tomorrow's events live:
King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia receive the Emir of the State of Qatar with military honors.

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia offer a gala dinner in honor of the Emir of the State of Qatar.

Last edited:
King Felipe already welcomed Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani at the El Pardo Palace in Madrid today, May 16.

Here's a video of the meeting at the El Pardo Palace in Madrid today.

I think this is the first incoming royal state visit to Spain for King Felipe and Queen Letizia?

Last edited:
King Felipe VI, accompanied by the Emir of the State of Qatar, reviewed the honors battalion of the Royal Guard.
After the parade, King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia, the Emir of Qatar and Sheikha Jawaher held a meeting at the Royal Palace.

King Felipe VI and Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, emir of the State of Qatar, have held a meeting at the Zarzuela Palace.

After the meeting, King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia offered a lunch to Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar, and Sheikha Jawaher bint Hamad bin Suhaim Al Thani at the Zarzuela Palace.

Last edited:
The Palacio Real looked splendid for the welcome ceremony with the the raised dais with coat of arms from the balconies in the background.

The Palacio Real looked splendid for the welcome ceremony with the the raised dais with coat of arms from the balconies in the background.

Yes that is great that they have now the Welcome Ceremonies for State Visits at the splendid Palacio Real and not anymore at El Pardo.

These Sultans and Sheikhs seem to be very coveted by the west these days....!

What a grand welcome! I hope this is the new standard. The Queen looks smashing.

Apart from the central royal cost of arms, I cannot identify the other shields. What are they?

Sadly no Tiaras :(

It is a strange dress code. The King is wearing tails and the necklace insignia of the Order of the Golden Fleece, so he could have also added the sash and star of the Order of Charles III, but he did not. And the Queen is dressed for a black-tie event, with no orders except perhaps a miniature on her left chest (if that is what the small blue ribbon is ?).

That mix-up also happened at the last visit from Qatar. I wonder why, especially considering that the Italian state visit was in ful white-tie with tiaras and orders during the pandemic.

This Sheikh is very handsome and seems to have a lot of charisma - he also seems quite tall as he reaches the same hight as the King of Spain who is more than 6 feet tall.
I thought the two men were very friendly and relaxed, while the ladies seemed to be more reserved and were not communicating that much. The Sheikh´s wife seems to be a bit shy while Queen Letizia is a bit like a beautiful statue

Sheikha Jawaher received the Royal Order of Isabel la Católica and Queen Letizia was presented with the Hamad bin Khalifa Sash.

King Felipe received the Sword of the Founder Sheikh Jassim bin Mohammed bin Thani and the Emir, as had been announced, the Collar of Isabel la Católica.

https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/get/maximage/20220518_1652857797-796.jpg?1652857797
https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/get/maximage/20220518_1652857815-792.jpg?1652857815

The Spanish press also claims that Queen Letizia received the earrings she wore at dinner and King Felipe a sculpture. The Emir and his wife received a t-shirt from the Spanish national football team and the keys to the Royal Palace of El Pardo.

The dinner menu consisted of white and green asparagus with tuna tartare, grouper with rice, cherries and fresh cheese with sichuan pepper by michelin-starred chef Ramón Freixas. For drinks they had water and juice, no alcohol in derefence to the guests.

The Music Utit of the Royal Guard played during the dinner (Abba, Staying Alive, New York, New York...)

This year marks 50th years since Qatar and Spain began diplomatic relations and the Emir invited the King and Queen to the World Cup in Qatar. King Felipe said a few words in Arabic and the Emir answered that his daughters would be proud (so he knows they are learning Arabic, Leonor spoke once in Arabic during a speech because a award winner was palestinian if I remember correctly)

Sheikha Jawaher received the Royal Order of Isabel la Católica and Queen Letizia was presented with the Hamad bin Khalifa Sash.

King Felipe received the Sword of the Founder Sheikh Jassim bin Mohammed bin Thani and the Emir, as had been announced, the Collar of Isabel la Católica.

https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/get/maximage/20220518_1652857797-796.jpg?1652857797
https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/get/maximage/20220518_1652857815-792.jpg?1652857815

The Spanish press also claims that Queen Letizia received the earrings she wore at dinner and King Felipe a sculpture. The Emir and his wife received a t-shirt from the Spanish national football team and the keys to the Royal Palace of El Pardo.

That is interesting. So, I give you a pair of diamond earrings as a gift and, in return, you give me a football jersey?

I am still trying to understand the Qatari culture with respect to wearing orders. I had wrongly assumed that Qatar, like the United States, did not exchange orders with the host country, I see that is not the case. So why didn't the Emir wear the insignia of the Order of Isabella the Catholic given that he was in white-tie attire? And why was the King of Spain half-dressed for the state dinner (again wearing tails and the badge of the Golden Fleece around his neck, but not matching it with a sash and star, e.g. of the Order of Charles III) ? And why did Queen Letizia wear a daytime miniature of a Spanish order when she was presented with a Qatari sash?

I couldn't find any information easily available online about Qatari decorations.

That is interesting. So, I give you a pair of diamond earrings as a gift and, in return, you give me a football jersey?

I am still trying to understand the Qatari culture with respect to wearing orders. I had wrongly assumed that Qatar, like the United States, did not exchange orders with the host country, I see that is not the case. So why didn't the Emir wear the insignia of the Order of Isabella the Catholic given that he was in white-tie attire? And why was the King of Spain half-dressed for the state dinner (again wearing tails and the badge of the Golden Fleece around his neck, but not matching it with a sash and star, e.g. of the Order of Charles III) ? And why did Queen Letizia wear a daytime miniature of a Spanish order when she was presented with a Qatari sash?

I couldn't find any information easily available online about Qatari decorations.
Some information about Qatari Sash..
https://www.diwan.gov.qa/amiri-diwan/decorations?sc_lang=en

There must be a reason, somehow they have reached this agreement with Qatar, twice, it's not a mistake. It just doesn't seem to have an underlying logic. In other occasions when guests do not wear orders the SRF still wears theirs, same when other women don't wear tiaras.

Was there no return dinner tonight?

Back
Top Bottom