State Visit from Portugal. April 16 to 18, 2018.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking forward to the State Visit from Portugal next week,who will accompany the President?

Apparently, there will be a return reception hosted by the Portuguese president at the Pardo Palace on Tuesday evening. Do you know the dresscode for that event ?

The return reception at El Pardo Palace is celebrated by all the Heads of State. Normally, the dress code is suit for men and short dress for women, but in the visit of the former president of Portugal, Cavaco Silva in 2006, was black tie.

https://www.hola.com/casasreales/2006/09/27/letizia-pardo/imgs/letizia-3a.jpg

Until now King Felipe and Queen Letizia have attended gala dinners alone.

With Juan Carlos, the visit of the President of Portugal was always very important, and members of the Royal Family and Infantas Pilar and Margarita were present, because of the personal connection with the country. But Juan Carlos will not be able to attend, so it seems uncertain that the invitation extends to other members of the family.

I wonder why the president was welcomed at the Royal Palace, one of the grandest in the world, but then is driven to the North of Madrid, to La Zarzuela, for lunch? It eyes as an un-necessary hectic commuting, while he was already at an in the Royal Palace...

I think its been traditional and perhaps he paid a visit to King Juan Carlos?

I wonder why the president was welcomed at the Royal Palace, one of the grandest in the world, but then is driven to the North of Madrid, to La Zarzuela, for lunch? It eyes as an un-necessary hectic commuting, while he was already at an in the Royal Palace...

State Guests like the President usually stay at the Prado Palace. In the past Guests were received at Prado palace, Felipe changed the palace last year to the Palacio real. The King and Queen usually host a lunch at the Zarzuela after the welcome ceremony

Last edited:
Wow, the queen is looking very good. I love the tiara on her in combination with the pearl embellishments on the dress.

Great! Exactly what I had hoped for as a tiara. Only that I hadn't believed in my hopes coming true. I'm looking forward to more pics from the dinner.

This tiara really suits her. And I agree it compliments the pearls on her gown.

this dress of letizia doesn't work much for me. i find the slit on the skirt a bit much for the queen and i actively dislike those slits on the armpits. i also find that tiara doesn't suit letizia much - i can see how it took her all these years to use it. who knows, maybe this is a statement by letizia following the issue with queen sofia in palma - that tiara was used a lot by sofia, and by letizia using it maybe it is a nod to the fact they actually get along (the media who don't know that it is part of the joyas de pasar at letizia's disposal can say that 'sofia lent it to her').

the only thing i like in the dress is the use of pearls sewn on the actual dress, it looks very innovative.

this dress of letizia doesn't work much for me. i find the slit on the skirt a bit much for the queen and i actively dislike those slits on the armpits. i also find that tiara doesn't suit letizia much - i can see how it took her all these years to use it. who knows, maybe this is a statement by letizia following the issue with queen sofia in palma - that tiara was used a lot by sofia, and by letizia using it maybe it is a nod to the fact they actually get along (the media who don't know that it is part of the joyas de pasar at letizia's disposal can say that 'sofia lent it to her').

the only thing i like in the dress is the use of pearls sewn on the actual dress, it looks very innovative.

She looks lovely. The cress would be better without the numerous slits. They are awful. I think she looks great in the tiara.

The Official Welcome was at 10 in the morning, lunch was at 2pm. After the ceremony they had a drink of water and a chat at the Royal Palace, but then the President left to keep his agenda for the morning before meeting the King in Zarzuela shortly before lunch, and perhaps he stopped by El Pardo Palace, where he stays during the State Visit, which is very close to Zarzuela.

King Felipe and Queen Letizia with the President after the welcome ceremony:

http://www.presidencia.pt/archive/img/180416-PRMRS-RO-0019-2756.jpg
http://www.presidencia.pt/archive/img/180416-PRMRS-RO-0021-2769.jpg

Is there no Mrs Rebelo De Sousa ?

Is the President of Portugal unaccompanied on this visit ?

:previous:

The president and his wife have separated in the 80-ties but never divorced. He has a relationship for several decades with Rita Amaral Cabral, but they live separately and she does not accompany him on official occasions. She did meet Queen Letizia and King Felipe when the couple visited Portugal a few years ago.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d4/49/7e/d4497e721030e23412b06a0ebd84040f.jpg

Watched the video of the presentation line - there was one woman in a casual pair of trousers and cardigan! Did she miss the memo on the dress code? Spanish State banquets seem to be more "relaxed" than many of their european counterparts

Back
Top Bottom