State Visit from Italy: November 16-17, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
State visit of the President of the Italian Republic

The President of the Italian Republic, Sergio Mattarella, will make a state visit to Spain, from November 16 to 17, accompanied by his daughter Laura Mattarella.

Both will be officially received by Their Majesties the King and Queen, who will offer a Gala Dinner in his honor at the Royal Palace.

During his stay in Spain, in addition to meeting with H.M. The King, the President of the Italian Republic will meet with the President of the Government, Pedro Sánchez, and will make a visit to Congress, in which the President of Congress, Meritxell Batet, and the President of the Senate, Ander Gil, will impose the respective Medals of Congress and Senate.

He will also visit the Madrid City Hall, where the Mayor of the city, José Luis Martínez-Almeida, will present him with the Villa de Madrid Golden Key. On Wednesday, November 17, he will travel to Malaga, where the XIV edition of the COTEC-Europe innovation meeting will be held under the presidency of the Heads of State of Spain, Italy and Portugal, Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa.

Visita de Estado del Presidente de la República Italiana

Its a very short but busy State Visit from Italy.

Is it? State visits are increasingly 2 days / 1 nights only.

The recent State visit from South Korea (June 15th-17th) was spread over 3 days but the Italian Visit is much tighter time wise.

It is very weird. Spain and Italy are big European countries, share the Mediterreanean Sea and have a lot of shared interests in the region and in North-Africa. It is strange that a State Visit of such an important country is riff-raff-done in turbo mode.

Spain is reducing visits to two days, focusing on the most official part, and leaving less relevant activities aside. In recent years, government problems and Covid have been delaying many visits that must be replanned.

Sergio Mattarella will leave the presidency of Italy in February, and is making trips and receiving visits before the end of his term, last week he was in Algeria for another two-day visit. Traditionally an Italian president makes a State Visit to Spain, and the next receives the king ... so to maintain that, the visit had to be carried out (Macron's postponed visit is in a similar situation).

The king and queen received Sergio Mattarella in 2015 at the Royal Palace after being elected president, and both Heads of State meet every year at the COTEC Europe event, a foundation of which they are honorary co-presidents with the President of Portugal. So the relationship is fluid and frequent, and a two day visit is enough.

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2021/11/09/

Royal Decree 974/2021, of November 8, by which the Collar of the Order of Isabel la Católica is awarded to His Excellency Mr. Sergio Mattarella, President of the Italian Republic.

Royal Decree 975/2021, of November 8, by which the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabel la Católica is awarded to Mrs. Laura Mattarella.

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2021/11/09/

Royal Decree 974/2021, of November 8, by which the Collar of the Order of Isabel la Católica is awarded to His Excellency Mr. Sergio Mattarella, President of the Italian Republic.

Royal Decree 975/2021, of November 8, by which the Grand Cross of the Order of Isabel la Católica is awarded to Mrs. Laura Mattarella.

Ha, thanks. At least Spain publishes these decrees while in my country this apparently is "private"...
:ermm:

"Wanting to give proof of My royal appreciation to His Excellency Mr. Sergio Mattarella, President of the Italian Republic,

at the proposal of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation,

and after deliberation by the Council of Ministers in their meeting on November 8, 2021,

I have decided to grant him the Collar in the Order of Isabel la Católica.

Given in Madrid, on November 8, 2021.

FELIPE R"

Last edited:
Ha, thanks. At least Spain publishes these decrees while in my country this apparently is "private"...
:ermm:

"Wanting to give proof of My royal appreciation to His Excellency Mr. Sergio Mattarella, President of the Italian Republic,

at the proposal of the Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation,

and after deliberation by the Council of Ministers in their meeting on November 8, 2021,

I have decided to grant him the Collar in the Order of Isabel la Católica.

Given in Madrid, on November 8, 2021.

FELIPE R"

The order diploma /letter, sealed and bearing the stamp of the King's signature, is private. What is published in the State Gazette is the royal decree of concession of the order , which in this case is signed by the King and countersigned by the Minister of Foreign Affairs as the Grand Chancellor of the Order of Isabella the Catholic.

Note, however, that only the grades of Collar and Grand Cross are conferred by Royal Decree ( pre-approved in the Council of Ministers). Lower grades are conferred by ministerial order only. In all cases, however, the order letter has the stamp of the King’s signature as the Grand Master of the order.

The Order of the Golden Fleece is slightly different from the civil orders. It is also conferred by Royal Decree published in the State Gazette and countersigned in this case by the Prime Minister , but the wording of the royal decree is different. For example, instead of “ on the proposal of Minister xxxx and after deliberation of the Council of Ministers”, it says simply “ having heard the Council of Ministers”.

Royal decrees granting the Collar of the Golden Fleece are published in the section of the State Gazette corresponding to the Office of the Head of State (Jefatura del Estado), whereas concessions of the civil orders appear in the section corresponding to the ministry under whose authority the order is awarded. For example, the above decree relative to an award in the Order of Isabella the Catholic should appear in section of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Those differences are meant to underscore that the Golden Fleece is awarded by personal recommendation of the monarch ( although it also requires now the endorsement of the PM, the same as in the case of ennoblements) whereas awards in the civil orders are proposed directly by the government.

EDIT: The statutes of the Order of Isabella the Catholic may be found here . The relevant points mentioned above are found below.

Grand Master of the Order and Stamp of the King's Signature in all Order Diplomas

Su Majestad el Rey es el Gran Maestre de la Orden de Isabel la Católica. Todas las condecoraciones de esta Orden serán conferidas en su nombre y los títulos correspondientes irán autorizados con la estampilla de su firma.

Grand Chancellor of the Order and Concession of the Collar and the Grand Cross by Royal Decree and of the Lower Grades by the Minister alone in the King's name

El Ministro de Asuntos Exteriores es el Gran Canciller de la Orden de Isabel la Católica. A él corresponde elevar a la aprobación del Consejo de Ministros los proyectos de Reales Decretos de concesión de los grados de Collar y Gran Cruz y conceder en nombre de su Majestad el Rey los grados inferiores. Todos los títulos de las condecoraciones de la Orden deberán llevar su firma.

Note that, as indicated above, the order diplomas are also signed by the Minister.

Last edited:
President Mattarella arrives at Madrid airport

Reception at the Royal Palace

Last edited:
Looking forward to the dinner tonight, if it's the case it would be the first tiara sighting for nearly 2 years (Japan October 2019).

Last edited:
Queen Letizia looks amazing in that dress! IMO perfect for the event!

Wait what? :ohmy:

It is a reference to a comment that King Harald made to King Willem-Alexander during the recent Dutch state visit to Norway regarding the collar of order of St Olav that had been presented to the Dutch monarch.

I thought Doña Letizia looked quite tense. Where is the generous smile?

It seems that she was focussed in signalling her husband to see when the mask could be removed, as the other guests seem to have been waiting for them to do so.

The Queen looked elegant and so did the daughter of the Italian president - as always. Very nice that the court films & uploads this part.

Is it easy for Spanish people to understand Italian and vice versa, since both heads of state spoke in their own language?

It seems that she was focussed in signalling her husband to see when the mask could be removed, as the other guests seem to have been waiting for them to do so.

The Queen looked elegant and so did the daughter of the Italian president - as always. Very nice that the court films & uploads this part.

Is it easy for Spanish people to understand Italian and vice versa, since both heads of state spoke in their own language?

Yes, I think it's easy for Spaniards to understand Italian, and vice versa.
I'm Portuguese and I understand Italian.

I missed grand silver, golden or crystal plateaux, flowerpieces and candelabras on the table, I must say. The decoration was surprisingly sparse for such an important State Visit. More what one would expect in a hotel.

The King truly is the very best dressed royal in Europe. And he wore his collar to perfection.

Last edited:
I thought Doña Letizia looked quite tense. Where is the generous smile?
She does look a bit tense. Perhaps she was feeling unwell.

Who were the other ladies wearing the Italian orders? I thought the woman sitting to King Felipe's left look beautiful in her red dress and green sash.

Wait what? :ohmy:

It was half a joke, but as Harald said at the time, he basically only wears it to open Parliament, and not for state dinners, so W-A wouldn't be needing it.

The Dutch king then said "thank you for this useless gift!" ;)

I like that the decorations took into consideration the table set up being that the guests were facing each other across a long table. Many times the decorations are so large and OTT that you cannot even see the actual guests nor can they see each other, plus many times they clash horribly with the already ornate room/hall they are in. IMO it was all well balanced and tastefully done.

I like that the decorations took into consideration the table set up being that the guests were facing each other across a long table. Many times the decorations are so large and OTT that you cannot even see the actual guests nor can they see each other, plus many times they clash horribly with the already ornate room/hall they are in. IMO it was all well balanced and tastefully done.

Yes, and Windsor they tend to erect a tropical rainforest on the table and -shudder- lampshades on the candelabras.

But there is really a middle way and a State Banquet is not about a family diner but about prestige, history, etc.

Stockholm

Amsterdam

Madrid

Last edited:

The King said one or two lines in Italian too, but it seems like he was struggling a little bit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom