State Visit from Estonia to Spain: July 9-11, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España

July 9

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Official reception the President of the Republic of Estonia, Mr Toomas Hendrik Ilves, and his wife
El Pardo Royal Palace

King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofía and Prince of Asturias

Lunch with Mr Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of the Répública of Estonia, and Lady
Palace of La Zarzuela. Madrid

Gala Dinner in honor Mr Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of the Republic of Estonia, and Lady
Royal palace of Madrid

July 10

King and Queen

Concert and later receipt offered by Mr Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of the Republic of Estonia, and Lady
Royal palace of El Pardo. Madrid

July 11

King and Queen

Official farewell Mr Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of the Republic of Estonia, and lady
Palace of El Pardo

El presidente de Estonia comienza mañana visita oficial de tres días a España

The president of Estonia begins tomorrow a official visit of three days Spain

The president of Estonia, Toomas Hendrik Ilves, will begin tomorrow a visit of State of three days to Spain with the objective to narrow the political and economic bows between both countries.

The Kings and Prince de Asturias will receive tomorrow to Ilves, to that they will offer a lunch in the Palace of the Zarzuela and a Gala Dinner in the Royal Palace.

ANP Beeldbank
Mrs Sonsoles Espinosa Díaz has similar dress to this famous of Letizia.

Btw pitty not to see Letizia here.

Why Letizia didn't go to the dinner??

Letizia is of fall for maternity withdrawn from the public acts to be able to feed Sofia ... only she comes to acts of carcter exceptionally (the funeral for the victims of the Lebanon) and to acts or meetings of a private nature in Zarzuela. Up to after the vacations she will not recapture her official agenda.

Letizia is of fall for maternity withdrawn from the public acts to be able to feed Sofia ... only she comes to acts of carcter exceptionally (the funeral for the victims of the Lebanon) and to acts or meetings of a private nature in Zarzuela. Up to after the vacations she will not recapture her official agenda.

I though she's attending normally after the funeral.....
Anyway... thanks for the answer :wub:

This Estonian first lady does like to overdress, doesn't she?... Seriously, wearing a hat to a country where not even the Queen uses them?!

She is a striking woman though...

I dont know if I would call her over dressed. I'd suppose on most/all state visits a hat would be required or worn, i dont think it depends on the host country. Queen Sofia has been seen in a few hats in the past but im not sure if she has worn them in or out of Spain.

Both Ladies looked beautiful tonight. Is that a new dress for Sofia? Its a beautiful piece, in good to see her in a white/ish evening dress.

I dont know if I would call her over dressed. I'd suppose on most/all state visits a hat would be required or worn, i dont think it depends on the host country. Queen Sofia has been seen in a few hats in the past but im not sure if she has worn them in or out of Spain.
The only time I saw Queen Sofia wearing a hat in Spain was at Infanta Cristina's wedding. I'm not an expert in protocol, but I assume the elementary rule is not trying to overshadow your host, especially when she is the Queen...

Does anyone know if visiting dignitaries are told what their hosts are wearing? I have always wondered how one avoids overdressing their host. Is it common for the First Lady of Estonia to wear hats in her country? Perhaps this is simply the norm for her. I'm glad the first lady looks nice and wearing a hat to match her outfit because after all, she is still representing her country on this visit. I'm glad she's well dressed than being dressed sloppily.

-Ayvee

Both Ladies looked beautiful tonight. Is that a new dress for Sofia? Its a beautiful piece, in good to see her in a white/ish evening dress.

The Queen Sofia, only has taken hat, recently, in her visit to Norway, and I imagine that she did it for adapting to the procedure of protocol of the country, where in the receipt the men take military suit of gala and the women take something in the head. Since it has commented Elsa, the Queen does not put habitually on hats, used it in the wedding of the Infanta Cristina, but she uses them very little; and in Spain, in official acts never.

The dress of this night also I believe that it is new.

The only time I saw Queen Sofia wearing a hat in Spain was at Infanta Cristina's wedding. I'm not an expert in protocol, but I assume the elementary rule is not trying to overshadow your host, especially when she is the Queen...

Queen Sofía used hats in Spain to the beginning of her Reign in parades of the Armed Forces until 1986. Out of Spain in the official visits to other European Monarchies or Republics like Ireland. The last time, in Norway, 2006.

Last edited:
Queen Sofía used hats in Spain to the beginning of her Reign in parades of the Armed Forces until 1986. Out of Spain in the official visits to other European Monarchies or Republics like Ireland. The last time, in Norway, 2006.
I have always wondered the same issue as well. So why doesnt the Queen wear hats in Spain since 1986 or on other official visits much anymore?

I have always wondered the same issue as well. So why doesnt the Queen wear hats in Spain since 1986 or on other official visits much anymore?

In Spain, the hat is not a habitual accessory, when more it is in use is in the weddings. The Queen initially used it in some occasion, perhaps by influence of other monarchies. Perhaps with time, she thought that was unnecessary and little appropriate in a country where this complement is used little.
Also it can have relation with more practical and comfortable application in the dress norms.

I have a doubt in this respect. I understand the habitual use of hats in England, where it seems a complement used by people in general, and it is a country that has certain fame in the manufacture of hats. Nevertheless, I don´t know if in other Monarchies so much is used the hat, as something own of the country, or only like an element of distinction or to imitation of the British Monarchy.

The Estonian first lady is really beautiful!!
I wonder why Letizia didn't go to this dinner also!

Because she is taking her maternity leave, as any other woman in Spain.

It's the old discussion, I am more with biboquinhas as I don't think Letizia is any other woman. She could do parts of the important events such as state visits or constitution day where the Kings are present. Sofia doesn't need her mom 24/7 and there are the usual people around who take care of the kids when the parents are out, same when they go shopping or to the cinema. It's not that she would have to travel for these events.

Maybe she did another hidden private lunch but this time Zarzuela did a better job in terms of keeping the pics private ;)

It seems that the SRF have decided that Letizia will have a three months maternity leave as she did with Leonor. I fully understand this, because the women in Finland have a maternity leave that lasts almost one year. Your child is small so short time, you should enjoy every minute you can with her during her first few months.
Queen Sofia looks lovely, although I don´t find this dress as one of her bests. The first lady of Estonia looks alright to me.

The Estonian first lady is really beautiful!!
I wonder why Letizia didn't go to this dinner also!

Why do you still wonder when she hasn't been attending anything since giving birth to Sofia? I never expected her to be present at all because she hasn't attended any royal function as of late. We will see her on royal duty in September as been said by the Royal House. In addition, for those who miss her the christening is this weekend and the Mallorca vacations with pictures galore is next week I believe.

I do not understand the obsession with the Princess Letizia. The Princess Maxima has been almost 3 months without official acts. The Princess Mary, since was born her daughter only has come to a lunch in palace with the Kings of Sweden and to the act of the Royal Yacht that was coinciding with the birthday of her husband. They all are doing the same thing.

And now let's return to the topic of the forum...

Concert and later receipt offered by Mr Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President of the Republic of Estonia, and Lady
Royal palace of El Pardo. Madrid

http://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img/feed/actualidad/20070710/7216ba335d4d2g.jpg
http://actualidad.terra.es/addon/img/feed/actualidad/20070710/7216ba335c656g.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom