Spanish Royals Skiing Trips to Baqueira (2004-2005, 2009-2011, 2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can´t get enough photos of these lovely children and their parents.Irene is a real doll!

The Infantas and their children already are skiing in Baqueira Beret, they have changed the traditional order oftheir vacations because the Urdangarín have fewer vacations since in The United States they finish before the holidays.

Article and photos Hola

GalerÃ*a de imágenes - Foto 1 - Los Duques de Palma y sus hijos disfrutan de unos dÃ*as de esquÃ* en Baqueira

Photos wenn

WENN Photo Library

Photos prisma

http://www.prismanews.com/spip.php?article7297
http://www.prismanews.com/spip.php?article7299

Purepeople

Cristina d'Espagne : La princesse ibérique, son mari et leurs quatre enfants pour... des vacances tout schuss !

Laura Ponte in Baqueira Beret

http://www.prismanews.com/spip.php?article7298

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Felipe, Letizia and the girls joing them?
Thanks for the pictures, the boys decided to all get a ride with tehir dad, that was a really nice picture.

Photos terra

Los Duques de Palma, la infanta Elena y sus hijos disfrutan de la nieve en Baqueira Beret.

According to the newspaper La Vanguiardia, the Asturias family has travelled out of Spain.

It seems to me to be very difficult that we see them in Christmas holidays in Baqueira, there is too much people and too many press, maybe in other epoch of the year when the girls are older. When the Royal Family started going to Baqueira, it was a destination for people with money and the ski a sport to which few people had access in Spain. But it has changed very much in the last years. Besides for the age, the King stopped going to Baqueira because it was turning into a saturated destination, more in epoch of vacations.

More photos in Purepeople

http://www.purepeople.com/article/l...andissent-et-glissent-a-toute-allure_a46931/1

Infanta Cristina and her husband, Iñaki Urdangarin, have gone to Baqueira ski resort

BelgaPicture - Category details

Laura Ponte has gone to Baqueira ski resort.

BelgaPicture - Category details

http://www.hola.com/famosos/galeria/2009122812117/laura-ponte/navidad/baqueira/1/11/

Photos diezminutos

http://www.diezminutos.es/familia_real/noticias_familia_real/las_infantas_con_sus_hijos_en_baqueira

Last edited by a moderator:
Will Felipe, Letizia and the girls joing them?
Thanks for the pictures, the boys decided to all get a ride with tehir dad, that was a really nice picture.

So far, the Asturias family has not gone skiing etc what is very contradicting to the Borbon image as keen sportspeople who love to pursue royal hobbies like sailing, skiing or hunting. With Felipe, having done extensive sailing, skiing or hunting himself in the past like the rest of the family, chosing a wife who is not enthusiastic about any of these activities (we have not seen Letizia doing anything in that respect apart from a ski beginners lesson in 2004), Leonor and Sofia are kind of put on hold but I guess quite soon at least Leonor will approach at least some kind of sport. When looking at other royal kids they all start at a young age, like Cristina's kids (incl Irene who is Leonor's age) do sailing, skiing (so do Elena's kids) or the Danish kids (sailing, skiing, present at hunting) or the Dutch girls (skiing), most of them around Leonor's or Sofia's age.

On the other hand, Baqueira Beret is in Spain and there would be a major media circus surrounding the Asturias in case they went, many other royals chose to do their activities abroad to escape the local press.

Lovely pictures of the Urdangarins and also of Infanta Elena and her two children. It´s nice to see the sisters enjoying their favourite sport together.

It's a shame Letizia doesn't like skiing because Felipe used to go every year.

Yes, indeed. I´ve seen many pictures of Prince Felipe skiing before he was married. It´s a real shame that Letizia does not seem to be very sports minded, especially belonging to a family who is very much so.

After her engagement, Letizia was "trained" in an indoor facility (it was reported that Zarzuela rented out Xanadu Skiing Center in Madrid for a weekend) in order to familiarize her with skiing and enable her to go to Baqueira Beret with Felipe in Feb 2004.
Not everybody is a skiier, and in general there is nothing embarrassing about ending up on the beginners slope. It only gets kind of embarrassing when you are all of a sudden a family member of the Borbons who are almost professional sports people when it comes to skiing or sailing. Elena, Cristina and Felipe have been into sports from their earliest childhood so its a bit unfair to ask the same from an average person who probably never got the opportunity to ski or was interested in skiing or sailing before marrying into royalty.
Despite the training, Letizia looked pretty unconfortable on ski in Feb 2004 and it seems that the sport did not click with her, and she never even tried sailing, which is kind of sad because Leonor and Sofia should have been introduced at least to skiing some time ago, with their cousins already having started as soon as they could walk. If you don't ski or sail in these circles you are pretty much considered outsider (not only the extended Borbon family incl uncle Constantin but also most kids of the same age from other royal families are into sports). Irene is Leonor's age and already hitting the slopes like an old hand.

Really it is not known if that is true, apparently,according to the press and the former instructor of ski of the Royal Family, the family Asturias has been going in some occasion to ski out of Spain.

That we do not see them in Baqueira can answer to other reasons, as the safety problems or the harassment of the press.

That's true lula. They do keep their vacations very private. We never see pictures of where they are like we do with other royal families.

Yes, indeed. I´ve seen many pictures of Prince Felipe skiing before he was married. It´s a real shame that Letizia does not seem to be very sports minded, especially belonging to a family who is very much so.

How can we say that Letizia isn´t sports minded, just because we don´t see her doing sports in public? I have read in several articles, that Letizia likes to swim long distances at the pool in the palace and that she uses also often the gym.

Well, let's wait and find out if Letizia will finally allow her daughters to engage in these so-called royal sports. It's not even too late. They are young and they have all the resources they could use for them to associate themselves in these sports.

Well, let's wait and find out if Letizia will finally allow her daughters to engage in these so-called royal sports. It's not even too late. They are young and they have all the resources they could use for them to associate themselves in these sports.
How do we know that Felipe and Letizia are not on a skiing vacation with their daughters away from the cameras?

That's right. Before they had Leonor they were able to ski in Whistler away from the paparazzi.

Baqueira Beret has always been very crowded during the holidays of Christmas or New Year. The last time the Kings were there was more than 10 years ago, hundreds of policemen were there for the security. With the current economic situation, it's not wise to waste so much public resource for skiing.
Now even middle class kids learn how to ski, I'm sure Leonor or Sofia would do too. Regatta (different from sunbathing on a yacht :cool:) is another story. Except for women from the Greek or Spanish RF, I don't think regatta is popular among the royal women, now no woman from either family is at the race any more, even Cristina dropped out 3 years ago.

I don´t know why you are complaining that the asturias don´t go skiing or so. first of all its their business and also where they go.
As far as I remember there were even pictures of leonor skiing in switzerland last year. If somebody is liking sports (there are so many to choose) or not really is not a royal matter - I appreciate that they keep it low key and secret.
Of course for the tourism-regions its a good advertisement when they are there, but lets sty fair - its a private matter.

Of course for the tourism-regions its a good advertisement when they are there, but lets sty fair - its a private matter.

It's a delicate matter, since the company that manages the ski resort of Baqueira-Beret has just enlarged and completely refurbished the King's house in Baqueira, which was given by that company to the royal family back in the seventies. According to El Mundo, a new addition of about 200m2 was built to attract the Prince's family to Baqueira once again, since the family didn't feel confortable enough in the limited space of the original house.

The company has also plans to build three other houses in a separate location for Elena, Cristina and their families. The King himself went to see the land in which those houses are to be built and gave his approval. This second project is at a standstill because of the current crisis in the building industry.

Allegedly, the purpose of this generosity by a business company is to attract the royals to the resort in order to raise its profile worldwide as a lot of people would see the pictures. Of course, this purpose gets lost if they'd just go there in secret and there are no pictures to be seen. Therefore, it makes sense that if they want absolute privacy they don't go to Baqueira, where they would have to make themselves seen to compensate for the house that has been built for them.

Last edited:
its not much different to Majorca, where either sponsor companies or the island goverment provide the boats or housing etc and the SRF are seen in public as royal tourists or sailing (King, Prince).
unfortunately for the industries the Prince has chosen a wife who doesnt sail or ski therefore the "tradition" is likely to disappear at some point what in my opinion is not a bad thing.

who knows what ties are behind the kings' approval of the housing in baqueira, and of course the companies want compensation for their investments in form of royal presence. The King is too old to ski by now and course eyes will be on the Asturias' family in that matter. Same in Majorca, the media started moaning when Felipe didnt do a full schedule on the Cam and the King had to bow out due to illness.

I personally think that vacation should be free of choice and behind closed doors unless of course you sell yourself out to other people and have to give compensation by showing up. To expect freebies and privacy is a bit much.

I never knew the Royal Family has a residence at Baqueira .

Are there any photo's or is it top secret like the homes of the Infantas ?

I believe that it is inevitable that the things change. The King started going to Baqueira being a Prince, the things have changed very much. The model of the King vacations created 30 years ago have to change because the circumstances are different. The presence of the Royal Family attracted tourism ... and ultimately it has turned against the own Royal Family ... tourists, famous people, politicians, journalists... What at first were calm refuges for the vacations, they turned into places where it is impossible to have tranquility.

For the Infantas it is good ... they have free house, free ship ... and the press there does not concern for them much what they do, they do four photos to them and already they are calm... there is no harassment, critiques, or requirements... the interest in them is every time minor and the pressure also.

But I think that it is inevitable that the Prince changes this model, because the model it is not valid now. The problem is that the King acquired commitments, and those who benefit from the royal presence do not want that it gets lost.

I remember the year that the Prince and the Princess were 5 days to house of the grandmother of the Princess in Asturias, or when the prince decided not to take part in the ditches to accompany his 7 months pregnant wife ... in Mallorca all kinds of barbarities were said.

Last edited:
The problem is that the King acquired commitments, and those who benefit from the royal presence do not want that it gets lost.

Exactly and its the kind of commitments that the King may have acquired but the Prince and his family have to stand in for. The King wont be going to Baqueira anymore to ski and it wont take long until he has to cut his sailing activities. Regarding the Infantas, they should take care of themselves, using the money they earn working in the lucrative jobs created for them when going on holiday.

It will be tough for Felipe to change such habits, even more so as he himself will have his own commitments or dependencies that are out of the public eye. The Asturias will have the same rich friends who provide them with freebies and privileges as other royals do, only behind closed doors. If Felipe will annoy the wrong people things can turn against him since media and public dont hold the same respect for him as they do for his father. When the old man goes, most connections and prerogatives will go with him. Good and bad for Felipe. He certainly wont get 8 Mio Euro by the government with the comment "spend as you like".

Felipe and Letizia stopped going to Baqueira Beret after Leonor was born. They probably don't want their daughers to be harrassed by the paparazzis all day long. Kids could get scared, or even developed the resentment towards the press (for example, like their cousin Froilan), that would be terrible in a long run.
I think they will go once Leonor and Sofia can 'ski away' from the paparazzis ;).

Back
Top Bottom