Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like they are trying to keep up appearances after all the drama (and with all the drama i mean ALL the drama: inaki in prison, the corinna tapes and allegations of corruption by JC, letizia's last scene in palma with queen sofia...). they managed it nicely, but i am unsure how many more of these events they can keep managing gracefully.

I guess they are just bad at posing. Maybe someone should tell them to look into the camera instead of looking at and touching each other all the time. The girls are teenagers now, no need to treat them like small children.

letizia has always done that. her hands were all over leonor and sofia for some reason at every possible photocall.

letizia has always done that. her hands were all over leonor and sofia for some reason at every possible photocall.

I think Letizia is one of those (many) mothers who still see their children as their "little babies" regardless of how old they are. Perhaps the times when the girls were both toddlers and young children were the happiest for Letizia and she likes to hold on to those times, forgetting sometimes that Leonor and Sofia are nearly teenagers now and no longer little girls.
Though I do agree that sometimes even I forget that the girls are as old as they are because of how Letizia (and often Queen Sofia too) act towards them in regards to hand gestures etc.

I think Leonor is very young looking, still child-like instead of teen. Though she is almost 13 years old, she is taking longer to mature physically and maybe that's one of the reasons for child outfits and for Letizia being "my baby girl".

Some girls grow extremely fast and I've known 12/13 year olds that looked like 18/19. But she will grow up soon (..)

As for Sofia, I find the opposite. She is 11 years old, but she is so tall that I would give her sister's age. I wish I could see Sofia stand beside Isabella of Denmark and Ariane of The Netherlands (the 3 of them were born in April 2007), to see who is the tallest. I'm sooo curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear that they enjoyed their time in the US and practices their English :)

You would think that an experience like that might also help them mature...

I'd take any bet that the girls have been growing up with english and have been on native level ever since, of course its different to be around kids from all over the world with different accents but they will almost certainly have a native governess etc. at home.

Nice photos of the family visiting the market today, it looks as if they're enjoying their annual break in Palma.
I don't blame Sofia for using the portable fan, I just went out and got one myself a few days ago. As a factor of the global heatwave it's also been very hot in Spain lately too, and I don't know the temperature in Palma/Mallorca but I heard that some parts of Spain are almost 50 degrees in heat (I've been to Ibiza in 42 degrees heat before and I could barely make a trip to the beach).

he/she who does not believe that this 'visit to the market' was staged does not know the SRF well enough ?

to me, it screams that they felt they needed 'family time in front of the cameras' specially after letizia and sofia's issues in palma in easter to show that they hang out together and like each other. including leonor and sofia was needed as that drama also damaged leonor's reputation as a well-mannered child (not that i ascribe any blame in that to the poor kid, who was being handled back and forth by mum and grandma).

there is an air of 'officialness' in this market visit that makes me think this was totally staged to give the media some reasons to think they are the idyllic family they once were before all the dramas that hit the SRF as of late.

It's August, Mallorca and the Copa del Rey Week ... there are dozens of photographers and journalists on the island, any outing is photographed, they have no need to notify the photographers.

This is the end of the walk, according to the local media, they bought fruits and bread in an ecological market before and from that visit there are no images. The time it takes for photographers to arrive from the port where the regatta is held to the place where they are.

All the grandchildren of Sofia are taught to go hand in hand with the grandmother when there are photographers ... it has been that way for years and the press loved it. Now the children have grown up and it is ridiculous, but I think that Sofia does not know how to act in any other way, and since her image as a great grandmother has benefited her a lot, she continues with it.

Day 3 - 37th Copa del Rey Mapfre Sailing Cup

https://josepgegundez.photoshelter....g-Cup-Day-3/G0000Soo4xRo1DNs/C000068aKG.mLQJ0

Day 3 - 37th Copa del Rey Mapfre Sailing Cup - Zimbio

Last edited:
he/she who does not believe that this 'visit to the market' was staged does not know the SRF well enough ?

to me, it screams that they felt they needed 'family time in front of the cameras' specially after letizia and sofia's issues in palma in easter to show that they hang out together and like each other. including leonor and sofia was needed as that drama also damaged leonor's reputation as a well-mannered child (not that i ascribe any blame in that to the poor kid, who was being handled back and forth by mum and grandma).

there is an air of 'officialness' in this market visit that makes me think this was totally staged to give the media some reasons to think they are the idyllic family they once were before all the dramas that hit the SRF as of late.

Of course its totally staged and Grandma loves it, plays even more into her cards since the War of the queens.

It's August, Mallorca and the Copa del Rey Week ... there are dozens of photographers and journalists on the island, any outing is photographed, they have no need to notify the photographers.

This is the end of the walk, according to the local media, they bought fruits and bread in an ecological market before and from that visit there are no images. The time it takes for photographers to arrive from the port where the regatta is held to the place where they are.

All the grandchildren of Sofia are taught to go hand in hand with the grandmother when there are photographers ... it has been that way for years and the press loved it. Now the children have grown up and it is ridiculous, but I think that Sofia does not know how to act in any other way, and since her image as a great grandmother has benefited her a lot, she continues with it.

I agree lula, I think it seems to be the norm for most sightings of the SRF now to be staged; and more so now perhaps after Easter's cathedral-gate. (Though I did think that the photoshoot, even though it was a planned official shoot, was one of the most natural photoshoots they've had since Letizia's 40th birthday photos).
It was fine when the grandchildren were younger and still children, but now they're all teenagers or pre-teens now, it feels a bit much to be clung onto Sofia's hand for the whole photoshoot. There was footage of Leonor at Easter trying to break away from Sofia's hand whilst they were posing for photos, so it seems that the girls are understandably starting to get somewhat tired of it as well now that they're older. It does seem very much that Sofia is still clinging to her "doting grandmother" image even now.

By arguing in public with sofia, letizia did a great disservice not only to herself (perceived as rude towards her MIL) but also to her daughter, leonor now has to prove at every outing that she is devoted to granny, the constant Hand Holding is ridiculous.

Is there any other photo opportunities planned this summer? At the sailing club, or another family outing?

Is there any other photo opportunities planned this summer? At the sailing club, or another family outing?

Yesterday evening there was a concert with the regular appearances of Sofia, Felipe, Letizia and the girls - the photos have been posted by eya in the fashion threads. It wouldn't surprise me if there will be more photo opportunities than previously this summer, with cathedral-gate in mind.

I think it's the grandmother (She, who does not resign herself to not being the center of attention after losing the only thing she had left that was being the queen) that is damaging her poor granddaughter, the princess Leonor.
She, in her role as victim, old and manipulative, makes her granddaughter submit. Leonor is old enough to guess that the consequences will be negative for her mother (with or without reason). The only culprit here is Sofia ... and the truth is already becoming exasperating and inhumane treatment towards her granddaughter. She, Leonor, is not a rag doll to catch the attention of the world. Leave it alone, because the photographers already want photos of Leonor ... not of Leonor with the claw of her grandmother holding her.

I think it's the grandmother (She, who does not resign herself to not being the center of attention after losing the only thing she had left that was being the queen) that is damaging her poor granddaughter, the princess Leonor.
She, in her role as victim, old and manipulative, makes her granddaughter submit. Leonor is old enough to guess that the consequences will be negative for her mother (with or without reason). The only culprit here is Sofia ... and the truth is already becoming exasperating and inhumane treatment towards her granddaughter. She, Leonor, is not a rag doll to catch the attention of the world. Leave it alone, because the photographers already want photos of Leonor ... not of Leonor with the claw of her grandmother holding her.

Wondering why you see Leonor being 'damaged'? :ermm: Sincere question. How is she being damaged? What is the 'inhumane' treatment Leonor is being subject to?

I am not disagreeing with your summation of the situation with Sofia (you may well be right, I don't know), but don't we all learn to be patient and careful with the elderly in our midst? It seems to me that Leonor has to be with her grandmother in public at rare intervals. So what that she is obliged to hold her grandmother's hand at these rare intervals? If Sofia is as you say then patience is required. Its good for a young person to learn that forbearance with the elderly.

Wondering, too, what are the negative consequences for Leonor's mother? Regarding what? I am familiar with the cathedral event. Sorry to be obtuse. :huh:

Wondering why you see Leonor being 'damaged'? :ermm: Sincere question. How is she being damaged? What is the 'inhumane' treatment Leonor is being subject to?

I am not disagreeing with your summation of the situation with Sofia (you may well be right, I don't know), but don't we all learn to be patient and careful with the elderly in our midst? It seems to me that Leonor has to be with her grandmother in public at rare intervals. So what that she is obliged to hold her grandmother's hand at these rare intervals? If Sofia is as you say then patience is required. Its good for a young person to learn that forbearance with the elderly.

Wondering, too, what are the negative consequences for Leonor's mother? Regarding what? I am familiar with the cathedral event. Sorry to be obtuse. :huh:

Letizia's image in Spain is neutral at best, in general people either don't care or they don't like her, especially monarchists, they prefer the traditional Sofia. The incident in the cathedral, being perceived as rude towards her MIL, either confirmed the bad image most people already have of Letizia, or it became even more negative, with people who did not care about her before, now openly reject her.

But Leonor, whose image was clean and innocent until the cathedral incident, has been tarnished by both Queens arguing in public, because during the incident she slapped away her grandmother's hand, what was perceived by many as rude towards her grandma and was discussed in talkshows and social networks. Therefore, Leonor is now on special watch regarding her behaviour towards Sofia sr.

IMO the hand holding is part of an image campaign that started days after the publication of the cathedral videos, at the hospital, Letizia opening the car door for her MIL and Sofia walking hand in hand with the girls, and even though Sofia loves holding hands with her grandchildren, has been concentrating on Leonor especially after the cathedral incident.

IMO girls of 12 or 13 don't usually walk holding hands with their parents or grandparents, unless its casually for a moment but not like what we see here. With Sofia sr it might be for image reasons, but Leonor and Sofia jr are often seen holding hands with their parents as if they need guidance regarding what to do or where to stand in public, what comes across as insecure or not being used to mass media, a status that in my opinion should have passed by now.

Letizia's image in Spain is neutral at best, in general people either don't care or they don't like her, especially monarchists, they prefer the traditional Sofia. The incident in the cathedral, being perceived as rude towards her MIL, either confirmed the bad image most people already have of Letizia, or it became even more negative, with people who did not care about her before, now openly reject her.

Thank you for taking the time to go over this, Duke of Marmalade. :flowers: Wondering what it means that Sofia is 'traditional'. What does that mean? And how is Letizia not traditional?

But Leonor, whose image was clean and innocent until the cathedral incident, has been tarnished by both Queens arguing in public, because during the incident she slapped away her grandmother's hand, what was perceived by many as rude towards her grandma and was discussed in talkshows and social networks. Therefore, Leonor is now on special watch regarding her behaviour towards Sofia sr.

I see. Okay. Got it.

IMO the hand holding is part of an image campaign that started days after the publication of the cathedral videos, at the hospital, Letizia opening the car door for her MIL and Sofia walking hand in hand with the girls, and even though Sofia loves holding hands with her grandchildren, has been concentrating on Leonor especially after the cathedral incident.

I see. :cool: I was noticing that the younger Sofia was not holding hands with her grandmother, but the older Sofia was keenly looking at the younger Sofia. Do you think she wanted her hand, too?

IMO girls of 12 or 13 don't usually walk holding hands with their parents or grandparents, unless its casually for a moment but not like what we see here.

I always thought it was a cultural thing. :huh:

With Sofia sr it might be for image reasons, but Leonor and Sofia jr are often seen holding hands with their parents as if they need guidance regarding what to do or where to stand in public, what comes across as insecure or not being used to mass media, a status that in my opinion should have passed by now.

I wouldn't judge it too harshly myself. :flowers: If both girls are gentle and shy I could see assurance being needed. Every child, every family, is different. Who's to say what? One never knows what goes on behind closed doors. They could be willful, or afraid of the cameras. It could be so layered. Insecurity pops up at the most inopportune moments, especially with children. They are developing. Sassy and full of themselves at 5 and 8 years of age and suddenly at 14 they are appalled at the camera lens. I could see that happening more often than not with these royal children.

As for Leonor herself, she is a Scorpio. :cool: Hang onto your hat! Deep waters there.

Thank you for taking the time to go over this, Duke of Marmalade. :flowers: Wondering what it means that Sofia is 'traditional'. What does that mean? And how is Letizia not traditional?
Sofia is very popular with monarchists because of her role/service to Spain, she stood by JC and looked the other way, she is from the old guard to put duty first and seems to have sacrificed a lot, probably the way she was brought up as a born royal. Plus the image as doting grandmother.

Letizia is from a new generation, naturally, who is being perceived as doing her events as going through the motions, in Spain she has the image of not wanting to work on weekends, interpreting being Queen as 'job' with office hours, the rest is private life, not wanting to devote her life to Spain as her MIL.

As for Leonor herself, she is a Scorpio. :cool: Hang onto your hat! Deep waters there.
Definitely - like her grandmother ;)

Last edited:
Look, any “damage” that’s been done to Leonor’s image was done by her parents, end of story.

The hugely negative public reaction after the incident at Palma - towards Letizia but also somewhat towards Leonor - wasn’t just because of the scene at the cathedral, although that was shocking in itself.

Letizia’s behaviour had been problematic for years. The perception that she was going through the motions at her work, such as it was, the all too often visibly bored or irritated expressions in public, the sometimes shockingly inappropriate clothing choices, the various other obvious and, to many, very off putting physical changes, the casually disrespectful gestures - walking by Sofia and a group of officials at a prior reception in Palma without acknowledging them, let alone stopping to speak to them, casually reapplying her lipstick in front of Felipe and I forget which senior government official at a formal public occasion, the obvious lack of enjoyment and lack of desire to hide her dislike for Palma for many years, (while having no trouble making use of the beautiful estate there which she and her husband don’t actually own).

And then of course there was the lack of meaningful communication with the press, (and therefore the public), on the part of both Letizia and Felipe and their determination to keep the public appearances of their daughters to as close to zero as possible. Photographs only in very controlled, choreographed settings and certainly no uppity reporter better have the gall to actually speak to the girls!

They were certainly able to have their cake and eat it for years but, of course, what all the above meant was that neither Letizia nor the girls had any bank of goodwill built up with the Spanish population. People actively disliked Letizia and they had no idea what Leonor was actually like as a person. The Spanish press had likely been getting increasingly irritated for years by Felipe and Letizia’s attitude towards them and were all too happy to drop their usually protective stance towards Felipe and his family and let them see how bad things could get with a press actively working against them and the public cheering them on.

Trying to attribute Letizia and Leonor’s current image problems to a grandmother holding her granddaughters hand or a “bitter old woman” who can’t give up the spot light is like trying to explain why the Titanic sank without mentioning the iceberg.

Look, any “damage” that’s been done to Leonor’s image was done by her parents, end of story.

The hugely negative public reaction after the incident at Palma - towards Letizia but also somewhat towards Leonor - wasn’t just because of the scene at the cathedral, although that was shocking in itself.

Letizia’s behaviour had been problematic for years. The perception that she was going through the motions at her work, such as it was, the all too often visibly bored or irritated expressions in public, the sometimes shockingly inappropriate clothing choices, the various other obvious and, to many, very off putting physical changes, the casually disrespectful gestures - walking by Sofia and a group of officials at a prior reception in Palma without acknowledging them, let alone stopping to speak to them, casually reapplying her lipstick in front of Felipe and I forget which senior government official at a formal public occasion, the obvious lack of enjoyment and lack of desire to hide her dislike for Palma for many years, (while having no trouble making use of the beautiful estate there which she and her husband don’t actually own).

And then of course there was the lack of meaningful communication with the press, (and therefore the public), on the part of both Letizia and Felipe and their determination to keep the public appearances of their daughters to as close to zero as possible. Photographs only in very controlled, choreographed settings and certainly no uppity reporter better have the gall to actually speak to the girls!

They were certainly able to have their cake and eat it for years but, of course, what all the above meant was that neither Letizia nor the girls had any bank of goodwill built up with the Spanish population. People actively disliked Letizia and they had no idea what Leonor was actually like as a person. The Spanish press had likely been getting increasingly irritated for years by Felipe and Letizia’s attitude towards them and were all too happy to drop their usually protective stance towards Felipe and his family and let them see how bad things could get with a press actively working against them and the public cheering them on.

Trying to attribute Letizia and Leonor’s current image problems to a grandmother holding her granddaughters hand or a “bitter old woman” who can’t give up the spot light is like trying to explain why the Titanic sank without mentioning the iceberg.

You have a lot of negative comments about Queen Letizia. To write so much about a person indicates you think a lot about her. It is so obvious it’s jealousy. I think Felipe is doing an excellent job as a king. He is dignified, hard working and is an example for others. Queen Letizia seems to be very tense. I wish she would relax and smile more often. I sense QL, wants to be perfect, an impossibility. I wish she could understand the people of Spain will judge her no matter how she acts, thus QL, be yourself in public. Accept your role and smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom