Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017 - 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the Marivent Palace welcomed many royal guests and gatherings in Palma de Mallorca.

The Prince and Princess of Wales and children

https://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl...XyEuJCGZxmM:&vet=1&w=500&h=324&source=sh/x/im

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola with the Spanish and Greek Royal families

https://images.app.goo.gl/FcNkJBLwUzSawbJ29

Interesting - thanks An Ard Ri. The Greek RF is understandable due to Queen Sofia. Nice that the SRF received a lot of royal visitors to Palma in the past.

Does anyone know if any of the Spanish RF have gone to La Mareta in Lanzarote for a holiday recently? Although we know the Spanish RF's main holiday destination is really Marivent Palace.

Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2017 - 2019

I believe the residence is rarely used by the SRF. It was last used by the King as Prince of Asturias with his family In December 2005 who spent part of their Christmas holidays there.
In 2018 , the president of the Spanish Government Pedro Sánchez spent the New Year's holidays in La Mareta. It was the location for the sad death of the Countess of Barcelona in January 2000.

Does anyone know if any of the Spanish RF have gone to La Mareta in Lanzarote for a holiday recently? Although we know the Spanish RF's main holiday destination is really Marivent Palace.

Not since the death of King Juan Carlos mother, the Countess of Barcelona who died here in January 2000.

Is it known if the SRF have holidayed in the other Spanish islands such as Menoraca, Ibiza, Formentera etc? They have such a lovely selection of places at home to travel to if they want to keep up representing Spain - whilst Marivent is the tradition it seems a pity for them not to spend some time in the other islands!

The summer holidays at the Marivent have only become a tradition since the accession of king Juan Carlos .The Miramar Palace was also used as a holiday residence in San Sebastián in the Basque region it was sold by king Juan Carlos father the late Count of Barcelona in 1972.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ostia_04.jpg/640px-2018_04_06_donostia_04.jpg

Wow! This palace is huge and it looks amazing. I wonder why the late Count of Barcelona had to sell this place.

Wow! This palace is huge and it looks amazing. I wonder why the late Count of Barcelona had to sell this place.

my guess is that, because it is right next to the beach, it would have been complicated to secure it for security and privacy purposes (without making it look like an eyesore). marivent is more secluded and perhaps because of this it became their preferred holiday location.

Plus the Count may have needed the money he had a family and siblings to look after,General Franco was still the head of State and had little or no time for Don Juan,Count of Barcelona.

Miramar Palace was the summer house of Queen Maria Cristina. , Alfonso XIII and Victoria Eugenia spent the summer at Magdalena Palace in Santander.

https://palaciomagdalena.com/es/galeria-palacio/
https://palaciomagdalena.com/es/galeria-historia/

Both palaces were sold by the Count of Barcelona. The north was the destination of the upper classes of the time, and remains a destination for people who want tranquility and discretion, although with a more changing climate. Now Juan Carlos takes refuge in another area of the north coast, in Galicia.

In any case, Sofia did not like the north, and preferred a palace in the Mediterranean more similar to Greece. Zarzuela moved its influences so that they would be given Marivent, a house-palace that belongs to the Government of the Balearic Islands and was to be converted into a museum. For that reason, there has always been some controversy about the use of the Royal Family of that palace in some sectors (others such as tourism businessmen are happy because they give publicity).

Letizia, who had always spent summers on the north coast where her grandmother lives, now has to endure the stifling heat of Mallorca with the whole paparazzi show... probably she would have been happier at Magdalena Palace.

King & Queen still have acts in Madrid until July 30, afterwards they will travel to Majorca, at least Felipe will do the Copa Del Rey trophy presentation on August 3.

We haven't seen king Juan Carlos in the Balearic Islands in years!

:previous: Seeing Juan Carlos made for a pleasant surprise indeed! Perhaps he's turning over a new leaf.

Rafa has always been a big supporter of the SRF in general and seems to be a personal friend of Juan Carlos in particular. There are tons of pictures of Nafa and JC at tennis tournaments over the years and they usually meet for dinner on the island together when JC comes over for the summer break (Rafael Nadal was born on Majorca island and still lives there). They have been close for many years and the friendship seems to continue despite illness and retirement, JC and Elena went to see Nadal win Paris for the 12th time this year.

Rafa has always been a big supporter of the SRF in general and seems to be a personal friend of Juan Carlos in particular. There are tons of pictures of Nafa and JC at tennis tournaments over the years and they usually meet for dinner on the island together when JC comes over for the summer break (Rafael Nadal was born on Majorca island and still lives there). They have been close for many years and the friendship seems to continue despite illness and retirement, JC and Elena went to see Nadal win Paris for the 12th time this year.

I know is already digressing from our main topic.. but have Rafa received any Spanish national orders yet? For his contribution to sports.

Anyhow, I'm already waiting for photos of the RF in Majorca. I hope they will pose for a family photo.

I know is already digressing from our main topic.. but have Rafa received any Spanish national orders yet? For his contribution to sports.

Anyhow, I'm already waiting for photos of the RF in Majorca. I hope they will pose for a family photo.

Yes, lots of honours, among them the National Sports Awards several times, presented by the SRF, and the Prince of Asturias Award in 2008.
He's one of the few true superstars in sports and without scandals.

I think he will marry his longtime girlfriend this fall, maybe JC will be invited ;)

Thank you Lula! This is nice. Did they join the birthday celebration of Infanta Pilar in Sol de Mallorca too?

Last edited:
I cannot forgive the count of Barcelona who sold the Magdalena palace, since now it would be perfect for the kings if they don't want to go to Mallorca.
Queen Letizia is from the north and is used to holidays in the north.
He not only sold the palace, since it is located on a small peninsula that was also owned by the crown ... and was also sold. It's terrible

Last edited by a moderator:
It is stunning. Can the King not repurchase it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom