Spanish Royal Family Summer Holidays 2014 - 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The new photos of Felipe, Letizia, Leonor and Sofia are great! The girls are adorable and I think Leonor is starting to look a lot like Letizia now. I think Sofia looks more like the Borbons since I see a lot of Queen Sofia, Juan Carlos and Elena in her. I find it interesting how the greeted the press afterwards, since I don't remember them doing that in previous photoshoots - perhaps it's something they have to do now that Felipe is King.

I particularly love these photos of Leonor and Felipe, Sofia and Felipe with Leonor and Letizia looking on and Leonor and Sofia together.

The new photos of Felipe, Letizia, Leonor and Sofia are great! The girls are adorable and I think Leonor is starting to look a lot like Letizia now. I think Sofia looks more like the Borbons since I see a lot of Queen Sofia, Juan Carlos and Elena in her. I find it interesting how the greeted the press afterwards, since I don't remember them doing that in previous photoshoots - perhaps it's something they have to do now that Felipe is King.

I particularly love these photos of Leonor and Felipe, Sofia and Felipe with Leonor and Letizia looking on and Leonor and Sofia together.

Thank you for that - I looked again and I think you are right. Leonor is already striking. Will be interesting to watch her grow into a young lady. :flowers:

I, too, wonder about them greeting the press. Is that a function of being the monarchial family? It certainly is good PR but I won't be cynical. Maybe they were just feeling expansive and in fine holiday spirits. :flowers:

Last edited:
I´m liking a lot the new King and Queen´s style. Changing the tradictional formal dinner with about 40 guests from the high authorities from the Balearic Islands for a more informal reception to 200 people from different circles: politicians, sportmen, artists, activists, students, etc, seems like a very effective gesture. Greeting the people outside the palace before the reception starts is even a greater one. They do this quite often now, it may attract more people to wait for them at the events, which would be fantastic as well.

And they´re greeting the guest at the palace´s courtyard, lovely. It is goegeous and looks more summery and islander.

I´m liking a lot the new King and Queen´s style. Changing the tradictional formal dinner with about 40 guests from the high authorities from the Balearic Islands for a more informal reception to 200 people from different circles: politicians, sportmen, artists, activists, students, etc, seems like a very effective gesture. Greeting the people outside the palace before the reception starts is even a greater one. They do this quite often now, it may attract more people to wait for them at the events, which would be fantastic as well.

And they´re greeting the guest at the palace´s courtyard, lovely. It is goegeous and looks more summery and islander.

I totally agree. Great PR move on their part. Get out let people see and be near you. Nice gesture greeting the guests outside as well. The King, Queen and Queen Sofia look so very relaxed. Loving seeing this.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Rarely have such disparate people participated in the same official celebration in Baleares mixed with authorities. The new life in the monarchy for opening relations with the society has also been shown tonight at the reception King Philip VI and Letizia hosted in the palace of La Palma Almudaina. A plural representation of civil and official life of the Balearic Islands has come to his call.
Stars like the ex-tennisplayer Carlos Moya, writer Carme Riera or opera singer Joan Pons, coincided with important social agents almost anonymous like former General Joseph Falco, the president of the Food Bank Foundation, or leader of the Project Man against drugs, Tomeu Català. Representatives of ONCE accompanied by their guide dogs, local leaders of the Islamic religion and neighborhood activists were among the guests. The comic EL Casta said he was "amazed and honored."
Los Reyes amplían su círculo Gente EL PAÍS

Gallery, they all look happy and relaxed.
Los Reyes reciben en la Almudaina a todos los sectores de la sociedad balear

The king, queen, Leonor, Sofia and queen Sofia had been sailing yesterday on Somni in Cabrera.
Los Reyes reciben a 200 personalidades tras navegar en Cabrera

Last edited:
Leonor is more prettier , now she is princess of Asturias!
Infanta Sofía is so growing up! Also more prettier..
Lovely princesses :flowers:

Also under King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía there were informal receptions for people from different circles in society. The "formal diner" (which was never formal at the Baelaric Islands anyway) was always meant as a "Thank You" to the authorities for their hospitality and the provided security, transportation, etc. The differences are really not that big.

:flowers:

It was great to see Queen Sofia present at last nights reception,lets hope we see more of Her Majesty at official events.

isnt Juan Carlos with them ? ....

It's interesting to see the differences in greetings: some women curtsey to the Queens but not to the King, some don't curtsey to either King or Queens, some curtsey to all three. The men, too, have variations, though most seem to only nod their heads slightly. Some women did exceptionally deep curtsies - though that may be a function of physical ability. :flowers:

Given the wide range it's clear that it's a case of doing what feels right to each person.

Anyone know what the 'modern' protocols are around the Spanish Royal Family regarding this aspect?

Last edited:
It's interesting to see the differences in greetings: some women curtsey to the Queens but not to the King, some don't curtsey to either King or Queens, some curtsey to all three. The men, too, have variations, though most seem to only nod their heads slightly. Some women did exceptionally deep curtsies - though that may be a function of physical ability. :flowers:

Given the wide range it's clear that it's a case of doing what feels right to each person.

Anyone know what the 'modern' protocols are around the Spanish Royal Family regarding this aspect?

I'd imagine the protocol is relaxed and if guest want to curtsey they can do so but its not obligatory.

I'd imagine the protocol is relaxed and if guest want to curtsey they can do so but its not obligatory.

A curtsey indeed is always optional and never obligatory. Exactly like, for an example, saying "Royal Highness" or "Majesty". Also that is optional. Sir or Madam do perfectly well, no problem. When meeting politicians, you can see that members of the Partido Popular (the Conservatives) do bow or curtsey but that members of the PSOE (Labour Party) do a handshake.

Last edited:
DM is british, 95% of Brits have no idea that Spain has a king. So they try to raise interest by mentioning something that most Brits are able to connect to Spain, eg Magaluf. Sad but true.

95%?! Do you really think Britons are THAT ignorant/ uneducated?

Queen Sofia's ensemble - while pretty - next to Letizia's 'smart' presentation, does look like a set of pajamas. ;) More like a beach cover-up and likely very in-keeping with where they were. I don't fault her one bit, it's just that as I scanned more and more pictures of the three of them, her clothes stood out in that way. As always with such it likely looked much nicer in person (the camera doesn't always 'like' certain patterns). Anyway, it looks like it is a very comfortable outfit. :flowers: I wonder if it is silk.

In the second picture down in the above link one can see another woman in something with a similar print pattern as Queen Sofia's ensemble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom