Spanish National Day (2014-2023)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NATIONAL DAY 2023

For the first time, the Princess of Asturias will participate in the reception at the Royal Palace.

https://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_actividades_detalle.aspx?data=15910

King Felipe and Queen Letizia together with the Princess of Asturias will preside, as every year, the solemn ceremony of tribute to the National Flag and the military parade that on this occasion will be held in the Plaza de Cánovas del Castillo.

The King the Queen and the Princess will offer the traditional commemorative reception for the National Day at the Royal Palace of Madrid.

TVE royal reporter just said that the Princess will be in military uniform for the parade.
I assume that she will change to civilian clothes for the reception like her father.

Princess Leonor looks incredible in her uniform! It suits her!

Leonor also looks a lot older in uniform than we are used to seeing!

Happy to see Infanta Leonor wearing the collar of the Golden Fleece.
Does Queen Letizia have the Order ?

Happy to see Infanta Leonor wearing the collar of the Golden Fleece.
Does Queen Letizia have the Order ?

No, Queen Letizia doesn’t have it.

In civilian attire, women normally wear the Golden Fleece insignia pinned to a bow ribbon on the left shoulder. However, since the Princess was in uniform , she could wear it on a necklet as men normally do.

I suppose that suggests she will probably be in uniform on military events as Princess of Asturias and later as Queen.

The King presided over the parade as Captain General of the Armed Forces, which is why he was in uniform. He presided over the reception of the civil and military authorities as Head of State, which is why he put on a suit.
For her part, the Princess of Asturias is a cadet in the training phase who, by protocol, must wear her uniform until she finishes her training, specially in a series of events that are regulated, such as the two she attended today, this is the reason why she didn't change for the reception.

Last edited:
Thank you for that explanation Adda. I was curious as to why as well. Can someone correct me, I thought national day was also the event where the Queen wore a long day gown, or, am I thinking of another event?

ETA: I just loved seeing the PoA at this event. She looks spiffy in her uniform, her and the Princess Royal can really pull them off. She is delightful and an asset to Spain and the monarchy.

Did you mean the necklet of this Order?

It is interesting to note, if you look at the pictures closely, that the Golden Fleeces that the King and the Princess of Asturias are wearing around their necks have different designs. The King is wearing the Sovereign's insignia while the Princess is wearing a Knight's insignia.

The distinction is made only in the Spanish branch of the order.

EDIT: As you may recall, when King Juan Carlos signed the organic law giving effect to his abdication, he also signified the abdication symbolically by handing over the Sovereign's Golden Fleece badge to Felipe (in fact, before Felipe had been proclaimed King by the Parliament).

Last edited:
Leonor looks really great in a uniform, very poised. Is this the specific uniform for the infantry, will we see different ones next year and year after next, when Leonor receives naval/air training?

Thank you for that explanation Adda. I was curious as to why as well. Can someone correct me, I thought national day was also the event where the Queen wore a long day gown, or, am I thinking of another event?

ETA: I just loved seeing the PoA at this event. She looks spiffy in her uniform, her and the Princess Royal can really pull them off. She is delightful and an asset to Spain and the monarchy.

No, never. That's pascua militar in January.
Queen Sofia was always in classy costumes at National Day, Letizia followed suit but in recent years she has often worn dresses, sometimes quite casual ones actually. There was an outcry in 2009 when she wore a pair of pants.

Thanks lula, I am wondering if it's always pants for the ladies or if the uniforms consists of a skirt as well.
Short or long, for later events that Leonor will chair as Queen (rank of Captain General).

Last edited:
Thanks lula, I am wondering if it's always pants for the ladies or if the uniforms consists of a skirt as well.
Short or long, for later events that Leonor will chair as Queen (rank of Captain General).

In the link you have all the uniform possibilities, there are occasions when women can wear skirts, but normally when they parade and carry weapons they must wear pants. Leonor could have worn a skirt yesterday, but either for comfort or because she was going to accompany her father at the tribute, she wore pants. There is a short or long skirt depending on the formality of the event.

In the link you have all the uniform possibilities, there are occasions when women can wear skirts, but normally when they parade and carry weapons they must wear pants. Leonor could have worn a skirt yesterday, but either for comfort or because she was going to accompany her father at the tribute, she wore pants. There is a short or long skirt depending on the formality of the event.

Thanks that makes sense. I guess we will see a lot of uniform outfits on Leonor going forward.

Photos from the reception at the Royal Palace:

https://ibb.co/8gFBss2

The photos of the Queen and Leonor are from the Princess of Girona IG account and they are posing with some of the winners of the Princess of Girona awards.

According to the journalists present Leonor joined her mother making the rounds during the reception, remembered the names of the Award winners, is very polite and said that she's really enjoying the science subjects at the Military Academy. Queen Letizia confirmed that Infanta Sofía Will be present at the Princess of Asturias awards next week.

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/51...ra-bandera-hablo-sus-preferencias-academicas/

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...omista-infanta-sofia-gales-recepcion_3753330/

Photos from the reception at the Royal Palace:

https://ibb.co/8gFBss2

The photos of the Queen and Leonor are from the Princess of Girona IG account and they are posing with some of the winners of the Princess of Girona awards.

According to the journalists present Leonor joined her mother making the rounds during the reception, remembered the names of the Award winners, is very polite and said that she's really enjoying the science subjects at the Military Academy. Queen Letizia confirmed that Infanta Sofía Will be present at the Princess of Asturias awards next week.

https://www.20minutos.es/noticia/51...ra-bandera-hablo-sus-preferencias-academicas/

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...omista-infanta-sofia-gales-recepcion_3753330/

There's been gossip for many years saying that Leonor preferred science subjects in school but it's the first time it's been confirmed by Leonor herself.

I'd love if Leonor can finish her engineers' degree when she leaves the military and before beginning her law studies. A few years ago I would have said, no chance, but now I'm not so sure. I have hopes :)

I'll be also interesting Sofia's choice in a uni degree when her high school years finish. Rumours have been saying that, like Leonor, she's also a science girl and if true, I hope she can follow her degree choice in uni.

There's been gossip for many years saying that Leonor preferred science subjects in school but it's the first time it's been confirmed by Leonor herself..

I thought exactly the same.

I'd love if Leonor can finish her engineers' degree when she leaves the military and before beginning her law studies. A few years ago I would have said, no chance, but now I'm not so sure. I have hopes :)

I agree with you but after reading the extensive profile on Princess Leonor from El País yesterday from the always excellent and well sourced Jesús Rodríguez, where he writes that her education is a matter of State and has long been decided It will be heavy on law and economic subjects, I'm not hopeful. Perhaps after she finishes her college education, in her own time, she will finish an Engineering degree.

According to the same article Sofía, freerer than her sister, may take a gap year to do volunteering before going on with her education (going to the Military academies would be enterely up to her)

I read the article but I'm still hopeful. Leonor's education has always been a State matter, but things are slowly changing. Leonor will only need one more year in Uni to finish her engineers degree before beginning her law and economic degrees. I can only hope :)

Sofia's choices are going to be interesting. Gap years are rare for Spaniards and I'm somehow doubtful she'll do one year of volunteering instead of going straight to Uni. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom