Spanish National Day (2006-2013)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So from today on, we are down to the core SRF (Kings, Princes) at State Events, Elena not taking part officially, she can either attend or stay away. For the first time she was seated with the other authorities and didnt do the reception afterwards.

Why was that? Any explanation given?

So from today on, we are down to the core SRF (Kings, Princes) at State Events, Elena not taking part officially, she can either attend or stay away. For the first time she was seated with the other authorities and didnt do the reception afterwards.
Was it not announced by the royal court some time ago when the issue with Christina and Inaki was raging as best in the news that the Infantas would no longer be part of the "official" royal family? Perhaps someone has a better memory but I do remember it being discussed in this thread at the time.

It was wise on Infanta Elena's part to limit her participation at such events. Spain is the economic basket-case. It is Prince's and Princess' Asturias responisbility to sell their image to Spaniards.

Last edited:
Was it not anounced by the royal court some time ago when the issue with Christina and Inaki was raging as best in the news that the Infantas would no longer be part of the "official" royal family? Perhaps someone has a better memory but I do remember it being discussed in this thread at the time.

Infanta Elena is still a member of the official SRF with her own agenda and patronages. The only thing that has changed is a new protocol when it relates to the Royal House as Head of State. Actually and with the exception of the official acts on National Day, it's been years since Elena or Cristina have participated in other Head of State acts like State dinners, Pascua Militar, presentation of diplomatic credentials, etc. This new protocol simply clarifies Head of State official issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if next year we see the Infantas Leonor and Sofia eased into official protocol. Prince Felipe was 7 y.o. when he was introduced into royal public life - the same age Leonor will be next year.

-

Last edited by a moderator:
It was wise on Infanta Elena's part to limit her participation at such events. Spain is the economic basket-case. It is Prince's and Princess' Asturias responisbility to sell their cute to Spaniards.

Infanta Elena has no power of decision in this issue. This protocol has been decided by government and the royal house.

Lets please not forget that Spain is parliamentary monarchy - the power resides with the Parliament, not the Royal House.

Last edited:
To concentrate on the core family is the right thing to do and will be a model for other RFs in the future as well, enforced to save money if needs be.

Elena is still a member of the official SRF but her days as such are numbered anyway. As soon as Felipe is King her status will change in that respect, although she will presumably always keep her own agenda & patronages as Infanta of Spain.

To concentrate on the core family is the right thing to do and will be a model for other RFs in the future as well, enforced to save money if needs be.

Elena is still a member of the official SRF but her days as such are numbered anyway. As soon as Felipe is King her status will change in that respect, although she will presumably always keep her own agenda & patronages as Infanta of Spain.

'Her days are numbered'....love that :D

And remember Elena and her children are in the line of succession to the Spanish Throne unlike the sisters of the King and their children.

Speaking of the sisters were either of them present yesterday? I recall Pilar and her daughter were there last year,but not in the official review area.

Thanks for the Video ,
The King of Spain walked painfully. I am sure it was a hard day for him as he was standing the whole day.

I have question regarding Elena's place in succession, if this is the wrong thread please do put it in the wrong one.:flowers:

When Juan Carlos passes away (May he live long), will the Infantas Cristina and Elena and their children still be in the line of succession or will they be cut away like sisters of the King?
I mean, Infatitas are still rather young and Felipe and Letizia are busy as they are. Won't they need the "work force" so to speak?

Thanks for the Video ,
The King of Spain walked painfully. I am sure it was a hard day for him as he was standing the whole day.

Yes I noticed that,he seems to have aged also and looks far older than his 74 years.

I have question regarding Elena's place in succession, if this is the wrong thread please do put it in the wrong one.:flowers:

When Juan Carlos passes away (May he live long), will the Infantas Cristina and Elena and their children still be in the line of succession or will they be cut away like sisters of the King?
I mean, Infatitas are still rather young and Felipe and Letizia are busy as they are. Won't they need the "work force" so to speak?

Any changes in the future would have to be ratified by the Cortes,so long as Spain is still a Kingdom.

Succession to the Spanish Throne

Section 57 of the Spanish Constitution provides that "The Crown of Spain shall be inherited by the successors of H. M. Juan Carlos I de Borbón." To date, the Spanish government has not seen fit to clarify whether this provision includes anyone beyond the descendants of King Juan Carlos. "Successor" is not the same as "descendant" but can be understood to mean such successors as brothers, sisters, uncles, aunts, cousins, etc., presumably in the Line of Borbón which surname is mentioned in the Constitution.
The King's two sisters renounced their rights of succession, but those renunciations took place before the adoption of the Constitution and were not ratified by the Cortes as required by Section 57. The rights of earlier generations are similarly clouded by numerous renunciations and unapproved marriages which may or may not exclude the individuals involved from the throne.
Section 57 further provides that "Abdications and renunciations and any doubt in fact or in law that may arise in connection with the succession to the Crown shall be settled by an organic act." Presumably, legislation would be adopted to clarify the situation if all the descendants of Juan Carlos die off. As a final catch-all provision, Section 57 states that "Should all the lines designated by law become extinct, the Cortes Generales shall provide for succession to the Crown in the manner most suitable to the interests of Spain."
King Juan Carlos' three children are married and of child-bearing age. His daughters have already given him six grandchildren and his son, the Prince, has two daughters. As a result, it seems unlikely that Spain will need to look beyond the descendants of Juan Carlos to find future monarchs. Unless and until an organic act clarifies the rights of other members of the King's family, there is no way to determine who, if anyone, follows Infanta Cristina's descendants in the Line of Succession. As of July 2010, there is no bill before the Parliament developing the constitutional regulation on this matter.

At the time of Elena's divorce, both she and Cristina started to 'disappear' from many of the state events. This time Cristina is in trouble, so Elena didn't attend the National Day Parade officially as a royal. I think the main reason is to make the absence of Cristina less noticeable in the future. The National Day Parade is about the most important event of the year for the SRF, logically everyone (not in legal trouble) should attend, one more person (Elena) standing in the royal box during the parade doesn't really add any additional expense.

Last edited:
Infanta Elena is member of the Royal Family (her aunts are not), she will continue with her own events and will attend acts of state only in that case without occupying the presidency.

Actually both infantas have not attended acts of State (Pascua Militar, Gala dinners, Armed Forces Day, Opening of Parliament) for several years, they just attended the National Day, so it was just a matter of time that something changed in this event.

The problem of the Palma may have influenced, but I think it is a separation that has evolved over the years.

The infantas were married and ceased to be members of the Royal family full time, they have their families and jobs. They have even been able to go and live abroad and maintain their position without renunciations.

When the Prince was married and had an heiress, was the second phase of separation. From 2005 to 2006 they stopped attending acts that occasionally attended before.

We are now in the third phase. The monarchy suffers a crisis (political and economic problems in Spain, the errors of the King, the case Urdangarín). So they want to focus on the core of the Royal Family, which really serve the state full time... begins to prepare for the transition to the future,the Prince and even the little infantas start having a more important role.

I think the picture of the three generations is not just a strategy makeover. Infanta Leonor celebrates her 7th birthday later this month, when Prince Felipe was 7, his father became King and began to attend public events. So maybe now we begin to see Infanta Leonor more in public events.

Probably the fourth phase will be when King Juan Carlos dies.

I believe, that she will continue having some activities, such as with the Red Cross, etc. Infanta Pilar for example still has some charity activities as well.
Maybe it depends, when JC may pass away.... in case it may be during the time the 2 little infantas are still growing up, Infanta Elena may fulfill more duties as supporting role for the future monarchs. In case the girls are already fully grown and are doing activities by themselves as well, her aunt may stay back.

BYe Bine

Apart from the necessity to concentrate on the core family, I think that Elena is happy with this development. I am not so sure about Cristina, had the case of her husband not forced her out in that respect.

Even though Elena is a member of the SRF unlike JC's sisters, I think she will have a similar role in the distant future re her royal appearances.

Last edited:
Elena as the eldest child of their Majesties will indeed I believe to continue with a higher profile than say either of the King's sisters.Both of them are still active,though I think Pilar is busier than her younger sister.

Infanta Elena deals with the situation admirably. She is every inch royal. The Casa Real is selling the new PR image like cheap political campaign. At the same time, new developments are for the better. Crown Princely couple can do everything.

Infanta Elena deals with the situation admirably. She is every inch royal. The Casa Real is selling the new PR image like cheap political campaign. At the same time, new developments are for the better. Crown Princely couple can do everything.

I felt sorry for her on National Day,she as the eldest child deserved her place with the rest of the Royal Family.

Celebration of the National Day

Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Asturias will preside the ceremony in honor of the National Flag and the military parade, and later Her Majesty the Queen, Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Asturias and HRH infanta Elena preside at the Royal Palace of Madrid the reception on the occasion of the National Day.

Celebration of the National Day

Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Asturias will preside the ceremony in honor of the National Flag and the military parade, and later Her Majesty the Queen, Their Royal Highnesses the Prince and Princess of Asturias and HRH infanta Elena preside at the Royal Palace of Madrid the reception on the occasion of the National Day.

From Hola

La Reina no acudirá al desfile del 12 de octubre, que presidirá el Pr&iacute | Realeza | Noticias hola.com

It will be strange without the King and Queen at the main parade,but at least the Queen and Infanta Elena will be at the Palace for the reception with the Prince and Princess of Asturias.

Back
Top Bottom