Spain State Visits/Official Visits: General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to several media reports, King Felipe and Queen Letizia will pay a state visit to Germany on October 17th & 18th. The will visit Berlin and Frankfurt. Its great they will visit Germany but its a shame its such a short state visit-again (like the Sweden visit)
https://thediplomatinspain.com/en/2...new-impetus-to-their-relationship-in-october/

It makes sense that they come to Frankfurt, it is the home of the biggest bookfair in the world and this year Spain is the Guest of Honor Country. Therefore they made it a State Visit with the minimum day in Berlin.

Any information about a state visit to Spain this year? I think there is an official visit from Paraguay later this year but NO State Visit. I guess it will be a year without Tiara for Letizia. Any rumors for next year?

Wasn't Felipe and Letizia supposed to make a state visit to Germany?

They made a State Visit to Germany from October 17 to October 19. There should be a separate thread for it.

There are rumours that Willem-Alexander and Maxima will visit Spain in 2023. It proceeds?

There are rumours that Willem-Alexander and Maxima will visit Spain in 2023. It proceeds?

Should there not first be a spanish State Visit to the Netherlands, as King Felipe is the one came later on the Throne.

I think King WA said something like this with Belgium.

Yes I think we will see the Spanish State Visit to the Netherlands first.

Yes I think we will see the Spanish State Visit to the Netherlands first.

But i hope before that w will see a spanish State Visit to Denmark as it has been ages since the last ones between those countries.

I hope that information is correct, it would be lovely to see them on a visit to another monarchy. They already visited Sweden in 2021, so 'Nordic monarchy' would most likely mean Norway, or maybe Denmark.

Maybe they could do a "tour" and have both at once ?

I hope that information is correct, it would be lovely to see them on a visit to another monarchy. They already visited Sweden in 2021, so 'Nordic monarchy' would most likely mean Norway, or maybe Denmark.

I guess it would be Denmark as there have been no State Visits between the 2 countries since the early 1980's whereas King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia paid a State Vist to Norway in i believe 2006

Last edited:
According to sources, there will be two states visits envolving Spain at the first semester: Spain to Denmark in March and Netherlands to Spain this Spring

According to sources, there will be two states visits envolving Spain at the first semester: Spain to Denmark in March and Netherlands to Spain this Spring

They are good news. In particular the state visit to Denmark. :flowers:

Looking forward to the Spanish State visit to Denmark in particular.

Following the passings of Queen Elizabeth II and King Constantine II, there are now only 15 living Knights of the Spanish branch of the order of the Golden Fleece, including King Felipe VI as Sovereign and Grand Master. The Dutch state visit to Spain in the Spring could be an opportunity to award the Collar of the Golden Fleece to King Willem Alexander.

The Dutch monarch currently holds only the Grand Cross of the order of Isabella the Catholic. The natural upgrade would be to award him then the Collar of the order of Carlos III first, but he may be awarded the Golden Fleece directly as was the case with then Queen Beatrix in 1985 (she was also only a Dame Grand Cross of the order of Isabella the Catholic at the time).

Queen Maxima, however, will probably receive the Grand Cross (not the Collar) of the order pf Carlos III as usual for queens consort.

Last edited:
I have not read anything in the Dutch press about a state visit to Spain. Not that it is unlikely. Apart from Spain all the other 'big' European partners have been visited, so it would be an obvious choice for FA.

Máxima received the order indeed before her wedding. The Spanish SV was the first one Máxima attended IIRC. I remember some unedifying criticism on the left-side of the press when Máxima received it in 2001 - before woke was a thing. Mostly due to Queen Isabella's role in setting up the inquisition. It was the time where many of the left opinion makers were still fuming about the engagement, and links were made to Máxima's own father & his role in the Argentine dictatorship..

Last edited:
I am also looking forward to the state visit of the King and Queen of Spain to Denmark, hopefully in March.
State visits from the Netherlands and Belgium to Denmark also took place in March.

As for the state visit of the King and Queen of the Netherlands to Spain, it is said that it will take place in the spring, but we have to wait for more information.

I am also looking forward to the state visit of the King and Queen of Spain to Denmark, hopefully in March.
State visits from the Netherlands and Belgium to Denmark also took place in March.

As for the state visit of the King and Queen of the Netherlands to Spain, it is said that it will take place in the spring, but we have to wait for more information.
So far nothing was announced but I expect the not confirmed danish- Spanish state visit will be postponed after the news about Q.Margrethe.

So far nothing was announced but I expect the not confirmed danish- Spanish state visit will be postponed after the news about Q.Margrethe.

Lets wait and see how that plays out with the Queen's back pains.

Usually the junior monarch brings a State Visit to a senior monarch. For an example King Philippe of the Belgians to the Netherlands (picture).

King Felipe is also a junior monarch and a State Visit to the Netherlands lies more at hand than the other way round.

Back
Top Bottom