Spain State Visits/Official Visits: General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do they carry out State Visits with a caretaker government in place?
I think not. It must be the date being thought of. But by then it is expected that there will be government.

Elections in Spain, if there is no understanding in the meantime, will be on 10 November.
I believe kings can go to the coronation of the Emperor of Japan.
As for the state visit, I have no idea. But they can make an exception if the government in office so wishes.

The Spanish newspaper La Razón confirms the presence of the Kings of Spain in the enthronement of the Emperor of Japan on 22 October.
The same newspaper also reveals that Felipe VI and Letizia will make a state visit to South Korea on 23 and 24 October.
https://www.larazon.es/espana/zarzu...-con-los-politicos-y-tendra-agenda-OH24986549

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spanish newspaper La Razón confirms the presence of the Kings of Spain in the enthronement of the Emperor of Japan on 22 October.
The same newspaper also reveals that Felipe VI and Letizia will make a state visit to South Korea on 23 and 24 October.
https://www.larazon.es/espana/zarzu...-con-los-politicos-y-tendra-agenda-OH24986549

The Spanish royal couple does the same as the Dutch royal couple: a combination of the Investiture and a State Visit in one go. (The Dutch to India and Japan. The Spanish to Japan and South Korea).

Will the State Visit be going ahead seeing as there's no government unless it prearranged?

There is a Government. Yes, outgoing, but nevertheless a Government, in charge and accountable for the King's acts and deeds.

Last edited:
Will the State Visit be going ahead seeing as there's no government unless it prearranged?

There will no government formation activity before the upcoming general election, which will be held only on November 10. So I don't see any problem with the King being overseas for an investiture and a state visit in October.

The Kings of Spain are due to visit Cuba on November 11, the day after the elections. This will be a state visit and will last for three days. This trip is shrouded in controversy in Spain.

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-sanc...s-inducido&vmc=abc-es&vso=tw&vli=noticia-foto

I haven't seen any news about possible state visits of the Kings of Spain for 2020. Will they make any state visits to any other European monarchy? I would like them to go to Denmark or Luxembourg.

Are there any rumours about a spanish state visit? incoming or Outgoing? My guess for possible state visits.

Incoming: i think a state visit from France to spain was already planned for last year. It would be nice to have a state visit from Japan: I´ve read somewhere the president of Paraguay would like to travel to spain in June)

I still hope for a state visit to denmark or any other kingdom in Europe.

Now that Spain has a government we might start to hear news about State Visits for 2020 would love to see at least one outgoing to a fellow monarchy and one in coming one too from a reigning house.

I would like the Kings of Spain to make a state visit to Denmark and Luxembourg.
As for the republics, it would be interesting if they made state visits to Germany, Italy or Serbia for example.

What state visits will the Kings of Spain make this year?

It is 41 years since the last Spanish state visit to Sweden so it would be about time ;)

A video from the 1987 arrival of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia on September 25th, 1987 at the White House greeted by President Reagan and the 1st Lady,Nancy Reagan.

US State Visit to Spain in May 1985.

Who knows if this visit will go ahead, a lot of stuff gets cancelled due to Corona.

King Juan Carlos,Queen Sofia,Prince Felipe,The Infanta Elena and Duke of Lugo at the White House on May 24th,1995.

The Spanish Royals were in the USA following the graduation Ceremony of the Prince of Asturias from Georgetown University in Washington and were invited for afternoon tea by President Clinton and the 1st Lady.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia visited Catalonia in 1976.

First Trip of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to Asturias (1976).

State visit of King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia to the United Kingdom (1986)

According to the press, next week the King and Queen will host a State Visit from South Korea. No official anouncement yet but the King and the President are expected to attend an economic forum in Barcelona. Felipe and Letizia paid a State Visit to South Korea in 2019.

I'd forgotten that the King and Queen were in South Korea in 2019 :previous:

1977 was a busy year for King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia

Visits to Iran,Iraq and China

Belgium in November 1977

State Visit to Argentina

State Visit to Portugal

Last edited:
Incoming French State Visit in June 1978 from President Valery Giscard d'Estaing to Spain.

June 1979 saw the King and Queen on a State Visit to Morocco

Spanish State Visit to Columbia in 1976

Spanish State Visit to Venezuela in 1977

Last edited:
Official Visit to France in October 1976 and Queen Sofia wearing a really lovely coat and also a hat!

1978: The President of the French Republic, Giscard d'Estaing, and his wife begin a four-day official visit to Spain. The president and his wife will arrive at the Barajas airport at four thirty in the afternoon (Spanish time), where they will be received by the Kings of Spain.

1978: The Kings of Belgium, Balduino I and Fabiola, began their official visit to Spain, lasting three days, invited by the Kings of Spain, Don Juan Carlos and Doña Sofía, who received their guests at Barajas airport with honors of heads of state.

Last edited:
Why will it be a stressful visit?

Back
Top Bottom