Spain State Visits/Official Visits: General Discussion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are already some news of the visit to Morocco?
That more countries is that the Kings of Spain will visit?

Spanish state visit to Denmark

A Spanish state visit to Denmark is "under consideration" according to Politiken. It will be the first Spanish state visit here since 1980.

Last edited:
A Spanish state visit to Denmark is "under consideration" according to Politiken. It will be the first Spanish state visit here since 1980.

That would we indeed be a treat! Hopefully it could be planned during the year.

That makes sense, after the new monarchs from Netherlands and Belgium, it's Spain's turn now. I guess it may be planned in the first half of 2019, but hopefully the end of this year.

Dastis admits that the conditions for a visit of the Kings to Cuba do not exist
https://translate.google.es/transla...iciones-visita-reyes-cuba-20180207184505.html

The minister did trust that the State visit of the Kings to Morocco could be scheduled soon - which was being prepared for last January - a country with which Spain has a close relationship despite the difference presence of Ceuta and Melilla as Spanish cities, a "reality" that can not be "not known".

I wonder are there any incoming State Visits planned for this year?

It seems only King Juan Carlos is venturing outside Spain ,there was no Spanish presence at the recent Winter Olympics.

State visits are usually limited to two or three a year, then there may be other types of trips. Cancellations due to own (elections, Catalonia) or other countries (Government problems in South Korea and London, problems of the King of Morocco) problems have been continuous, and this complicates the planning of the agenda, which must also be adjusted to that of the Government.

The Royal House and the Foreign Minister had reserved the first two weeks of March to place the trip to Morocco, which has already been canceled several times, and again there will be no trip.

About the trip to the Winter Olympics, since Spain has little representation in these sports, unless they are held in a nearby place, they do not usually go.

King Juan Carlos now represents the country in the changes of Government in Latin America (role played by Felipe when he was a prince), and that is the reason for his trip to Chile.

The article does not mention a reason for it, other than the already known reasons for cancelling the visits to Morocco and Cuba.

I suppose that the Catalan issue may be problematic for state visits within Europe. The Spanish will not like to discuss such domestic issues abroad, while the governments of the other country may be forced -by their own political parties- to mention the matter at the state banquet. Perhaps not surprising that they may prefer to evade such a situation for the time being.

Any news about the state visit from Portugal? I think it was planned for april.

Will the Kings of Spain still go on a state visit this year? It's strange not to mention anything so far.

Its not a State Visit to the USA.

I wonder King Felipe and Queen Letizia will make a state visit abroad this year? I can remember there were rumours about a state visit to Denmark but it hink this could happen next year, on the other hand I´ve read they will make a state visit to Argentinia in march 2019. The same question for incoming state visits, I´ve read Macron will visit spain this autumn, and for october/november a state visit from China is planned, and Pedro Sanchez would like to work close with Germany too. (the last German state visit to spain was 2002, last spanish state visit to Germany 1999). I dont think a state visit to Morocco will happen that soon, its a big mess!!

Though it wasn't a State Visit the Official Trip to the USA was the nearest we've gotten on an outbound visit this year.

Not sure and maybe somebody knows and can clarify, the recent US trip wasn't even labelled 'Official Visit' but only 'Visit to Lousiana, Texas and Washington', I don't know where the difference is between Visit and Offical Visit?

Not sure and maybe somebody knows and can clarify, the recent US trip wasn't even labelled 'Official Visit' but only 'Visit to Lousiana, Texas and Washington', I don't know where the difference is between Visit and Offical Visit?

Im not sure if its right but i think during an official/State visit they usuallly welcomed with military honours and Felipe and Letizia visited not USA but two states of the USA.. i would call it working visit:ermm:

Im not sure if its right but i think during an official/State visit they usuallly welcomed with military honours and Felipe and Letizia visited not USA but two states of the USA.. i would call it working visit:ermm:

Yes a State Visit has def military honours.
I was confused because their visit in 2015 was labelled official, maybe they toured some institutions like the Senate back then.
This time, they only visited the White House and went home.
So yes, I'd call it a Working Visit too.

Maybe the wrong threat but im suprised they will fly to USA at this dates, i expected them at the Order of the Garter :sad:

Why would they attend the meeting of the Order of the Garter? Foreign royals never do with the exception of very special occassions when all foreign knights and ladies are invited (it happened once when Elizabeth celebrated 50 years on the throne if I am not mistaken).

Why would they attend the meeting of the Order of the Garter? Foreign royals never do with the exception of very special occassions when all foreign knights and ladies are invited (it happened once when Elizabeth celebrated 50 years on the throne if I am not mistaken).

King Juan Carlos attented in 1989 after he received it 1988
https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/n...-garter-the-spanish-nachrichtenfoto/140937705

Queen Margrethe
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-q...charles-during-the-royal-garter-20234109.html

King Carl Gustaf
https://www.gettyimages.de/ereignis...ocession-at-windsor-castle-picture-id52100683

Last edited:
It's strange that the Kings of Spain have not yet made a state visit this year. Will they soon make a state visit to some monarchy in Europe? Was it said that they could go to Denmark, some new information about this visit?

Morocco seems to be difficult and there has been an exchange of PM, from Rajoy to Sanchez, not sure how much impact this change has on the political agenda regarding countries to be visited.
There is a new president in Mexico now, quite certainly he'll come over or invite the Kings to Mexico soon.

Back
Top Bottom