Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kil

Aristocracy
City
Copenhagen
Country
Denmark
I have the impression that the Queen Sofia and the King Juan Carlos have a preference for the 3 little boys of Cristina ?

What do you think about my impression ?!! :huh:

What gives you this impression?

Not knowing what made you come to this conclusion, my personal impression is that depending on where their royal duties take them, the King and Queen spend whatever time they can with their grandchildren. If they are in Barecelona where Cristina and Inaki live, they spend time with their three sons. But if in Madrid (is that where Elena lives? or is it Seville?) they spend time with Froilan and Victoria.

I think, too, that Cristina's interest in sailing is more in tune with the King's passion for sailing (father and daughter have competed against each other in regalas before), so if Cristina and Inaki take their children with them to these sailing events and the King and Queen attend, whether as participants, watchers or to give out the awards, they are sure to run into their youngest daughter and her family.

Elena on the other hand, is very much into equestrian events which the King and Queen don't seem as keen on. But recently the Queen did take Froilan and Victoria to the zoo so she "compensates" in some other way.

I see what you mean ;)
Probably I have that impression because there are more pics of the sons of Cristina on magazines with their grandparents ? (as you said , because Cristina and Iñaki bring their kids to the sailing events )

But I also notice that even when there are all the 5 grandchilds , they seem to be closer to the three little boys .....
The Queen Sofia have more attention for Juan , Pablo and Miguel ...

Maybe this impression also comes from the fact that rumors pretend Juan Carlos and Sofia are closer to Cristina (have a preference for their second daughter ??? ) so they do the same with her kids ??

Originally posted by kil@May 9th, 2004 - 1:44 pm
But I also notice that even when there are all the 5 grandchilds , they seem to be closer to the three little boys .....
The Queen Sofia have more attention for Juan , Pablo and Miguel ...
Crisitna's kids may simply be more outgoing and responsive to their grandparents than Elena's kids. Not that the grandparents don't try, but just the personality and nature of Juanito, Pablo and Miguel to be more affectionate publicly than Froilan and Victoria.

But I actually, I think when all the grandkids are together, more attention is paid to Victoria--the only granddaughter and Miguel--the youngest of the grandkids.

Maybe this impression also comes from the fact that rumors pretend Juan Carlos and Sofia are closer to Cristina (have a preference for their second daughter ??? ) so they do the same with her kids ??

I have never heard these rumours. Could you please elaborate and tell us where you heard these rumours? I have read that Cristina and Elena are certainly two very different people despite being sisters. For example, Elena is the most like her father: loves bull fights, is very particular about protocol, a perfectionist, likes things done a particular way, smokes. While Cristina is more like her mother: Very health-conscious (both mother and daughter are vegetarians), does not smoke, is sporty and laid back. But to say that the King and Queen play favourites with their children is a very serious "allegation" to make.

Hello!

I think you think :wacko: that because you've seen more pictures of the granparents with Cristina's children because they were taken in regatas where Cristina and the King participated.
You must not forget that Infanta Elena spent lots of time leaving abroad (NY) and there weren't so many occasion for photographing them all together.
But, lately, I don't know if this is a pronounce of what we think will happen after Felipe's marriage (that Elena is getting divorced from Jaime Marichalar) we've seen the King and the Queen very "wrapping" around Elena's son and daughter.

In an Easter photograph the Queen puts her hand over Froilan's shoulder and the King is always listening to what the children are saying. In the following week we've seen the children in a zoo visit with them.

One thing is certain HRH King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are excellent parents and granparents. :flower:

Regards,

From Portugal!

Yes, you're probably right ... that , I have this impression because there are more pics of the 3 little boys !!!! they are so cute .... so maybe , photogaphs , take them more ??? :rolleyes:

I didn't know that Elena and Jaime have to get divorced after the marriage of Felipe ?????? is that sure ???????

And Alexandria , I read once , that on the contrary , the king prefer Cristina ......
Anyway , it's quite "stupid" to say prefer ..... cause when you have 3 kids you love each of them .. differently ...... but all ;)
Maybe the King and the Queen prefer to be with Cristina's boys ... but of course , I'm sure they love Elena's kids ;)

Thanks for your answer .. and your impression about my subject .... ;)

Originally posted by kil@May 10th, 2004 - 3:12 pm
And Alexandria , I read once , that on the contrary , the king prefer Cristina ......
I am just curious to know why the article you read said the King and Queen prefer Cristina over Elena. And what is the source anyway? I am curious to know if the source is a credible one or not.

I'll be enable to remember where I read that rumor .... sorry ! :blush:
Probably in "Point de Vue" .. a french magazine .... I'll try to find it , because I keep all my magazines about royals ... and if I've got it .. I'll come to tell you ;)

Just to know .. who is the man on the picture you have near your screen name ??

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by kil@May 10th, 2004 - 3:53 pm
I'll be enable to remember where I read that rumor .... sorry ! :blush:
Probably in "Point de Vue" .. a french magazine .... I'll try to find it , because I keep all my magazines about royals ... and if I've got it .. I'll come to tell you ;)
Thank you, kil, I'd appreciate that.

Not being too familiar with Point de Vue myself, would you (or anyone else) say that it is a reliable publication? Or more like a tabloid?

Just to know .. who is the man on the picture you have near your screen name ??

My avatar is of Prince Maurits of the Netherlands, son of Princess Margriet, sister of Queen Beatrix.

Children Preference?

Is true that Queen Sofía prefers Prince Felipe and that King Juan Carlos is very fond of Cristina?

crisiñaki said:
Is true that Queen Sofía prefers Prince Felipe and that King Juan Carlos is very fond of Cristina?

I certainly hope not...

"MII"

crisiñaki said:
That is the kind of question that nobody here can answer. Discuss if a mother prefers a child to another seems nonsense to me, if not cruel...

crisiñaki said:
I read once that Prince Felipe is "el ojito derecho" (the right eye) of Queen Sofia, and i supposed that he is the favourite of the Queen because he wil be King and because he was the boy that everybody was waiting!
And on the photos of this summer we can see that Elena isn't present... and we can see also the union of the King and the Queen with the Prince and with Cristina... well Elena wasn't there but even like that, i think that Elena is very far from her family!

I also think that the Queen is closer to the children of Cristina than the children of Elena, but that it can be because Cristina leaves in Barcelona and Elena leaves in Madrid, so the Kings can see the children of Elena every day and the children of Cristina they can't see them every day!

Elsa is right when she says it is cruel to say a parent prefers one child to another. The only sad thing is that it happens a lot. Not just with royal families but with commoners! (all muggles at the end!). I just hope parents get councious about this and try to avoid doing it in front of their children or in public as it can be very frustrating for the affected child, not just the one that you dont prefer but also for the one that you do. I dont know about the spanish royal family, hopefully it is not like that. Many rumors are usually merely based in few photos that can be taken as proof.

This is one of the problems with having male-preferred or salic succession laws. The girls are just never considered 'good enough'. It's cruel.:mad:

Kil, I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but this whole topic is unsubstantiated and therefore, IMHO, downright mean. I love gossip as much as the next person, but there's no evidence as far as I can tell, to back up the gist of this topic.

princess olga said:
Kil, I'm sure you don't mean it this way, but this whole topic is unsubstantiated and therefore, IMHO, downright mean. I love gossip as much as the next person, but there's no evidence as far as I can tell, to back up the gist of this topic.

There's an article at El Mundo about the King's preference for Cristina (the date is about 1992 or something like that) because she is his youngest daughter and has always been very close to him, if anyone is able to find the article I will be very thankful...

I think it happens in many families that parents are closer to one of their children because they are more easy going or they share common interests. As for the princess of spain i dont think the photos show their relation with their parents but their personalities. It seems to me christina is more outgoing and in ease with media and others while elena is more conservative.

The thread is for discussing the relationships between different members of the Spanish Royal Family.

While we always appreciate and value each and every singe person's opinion, remember that the way you express your opinion is vital - polite and civil discussion is key to success.
Also remember that you must respect others' opinions, whether you agree or not.

And finally, try to back up your opinion and your claims with pictures or perhaps trustworthy sources.

Enjoy the thread!
Spanish Forums Moderators - Anna_R ; Merezdote ; Ennyllorac and Avalon

Last edited:
I've read before that Infanta Cristina and Princess Letizia do not enjoy a close relationship, does anybody know if this is true?

I don't know, but in every single situation for royals, it's like that. The women who have been in the family longer always "hate" the newcommer. It's going on in the Danish royal family right now. Cristina and Letizia may not see each other very often, or not have anything in commen, etc.

I posted from the relationship between king Juan Carlos and princess Letizia to another thread. Sometimes it feels that the king doesn´t like Letizia so much, he seems so distant and he is often standing so far away from Letizia at the official photos, but that´s because of the protocol, I think.
But Letizia and the King have also had some moments of closeness, sometimes even funny moments. Here are some pictures:

From Corbis:
Clinton´s visit to Spain
Letizia´s first public appearance
From Isifa:
Erikas´s funeral
Regatta last summer
Regatta 2
State visit from Argentina
ANP Beeldbank
Leonor´s baptism

I don´t think the King dislikes Letizia, I think they are at least at polite terms.

A few more of Juan Carlos interacting with his daughter-in-law:
http://www.abc.es/galerias/espana/media/pm05-palma-mallorca-juan-16.4.284940245.JPG
http://img178.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=31267_extras_albumes_0_123_429lo.jpg
http://img176.imagevenue.com/view.php?image=26406_72_123_598lo.jpg
(photos from Terra and Abc)

Honestly, I don't see the king acting any different with Letizia than with Iñaki or Jaime... it's just natural that's he's more at ease with his own daughters than with his inlaws.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't see the king acting any different with Letizia than with Iñaki or Jaime... it's just natural that's he's more at ease with his own daughters than with his inlaws.

Good point. I don't understand why people are making a big fuss about the King not interacting with Letizia in public when he does the same thing with Jaime and Inaki.

I agree with you planetcher! in my opinion i think JC and Letizia have a normal relationship, they aren't like Letizia and the Queen, but they don't have any different... is simply a normal relationship!

I´m worried about the relationship between Inaki and his eldest son Valentin. This boy always looks unhappy, I can´t remember the last time I´ve seen his teeth while laughing. He always seems to rebel against his father what I noticed on lots of photos. He doesn´t like to be touched by his father and so on. Just my impression.

I´m worried about the relationship between Inaki and his eldest son Valentin. This boy always looks unhappy, I can´t remember the last time I´ve seen his teeth while laughing. He always seems to rebel against his father what I noticed on lots of photos. He doesn´t like to be touched by his father and so on. Just my impression.

Really? I never noticed that. Maybe I should pay attention more to Juan rather than cutie-patootie Pablo.

I don't know, but in every single situation for royals, it's like that. The women who have been in the family longer always "hate" the newcommer. It's going on in the Danish royal family right now.

??
Besides Queen Margrethe, there are no other ladies in the royal family to 'hate' the newcomer. Alexandra Countess Frederiksborg is no more part of the family. Queen Anne-Marie of the Hellenes, Princess of Denmark and Princess Benedikte zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Princess of Denmark are both married into other Houses.

I have the idea Doña Elena and Doña Cristina go on pleasantly with Princess Letizia.

Back
Top Bottom