Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, D of M, I don't for one minute believe that Letizia holds Felipe's hand for just support or that she is going to faint. I believe she loves to hold his hand and he hers. That is one of the reasons that I enjoy seeing this couple -- brings back memories of me and my late husband. To hold hands in public is a joy. Plus my husband was sought after enough that I enjoyed rubbing it in others faces.

Exactly. Letizia had been to quite a few single events herself, she looked very confident on her own. Their hand holding were simply because they loved to, it had nothing to do with her desperation for his support or vice versa.

Paul Burrel was in Spain promoting his book about Diana in 2004 and he was asked for the advice he could give to Letizia, he said that Letizia should treasure her friends before the marriage, those people would be about the only real friends she got. From Diana's experience, the BRF's family friends, Charles' friends, wives or girlfriends of Charles' friends who had befriended with Diana didn't turn out to be her friends at the end. I'm not surprised if this had happened to Alexandra, I think the same would happen to the commoners who currently are married to the royals if the marriages end in divorce.

I couldn't imagine a more inappropriate person to give advice on friendship as Paul Burrell who still promotes himself as Diana's butler and only friend but lead the meaning of friendship ad absurdum when publicly betraying her trust by writing a book to squeeze money out of the relation. I think either way is possible, keep old friends or make new ones, always depends on the characters involved.

I couldn't imagine a more inappropriate person to give advice on friendship as Paul Burrell who still promotes himself as Diana's butler and only friend but lead the meaning of friendship ad absurdum when publicly betraying her trust by writing a book to squeeze money out of the relation. I think either way is possible, keep old friends or make new ones, always depends on the characters involved.

PB was talking about Diana's experience, actually nothing new for people who had followed a bit of Diana's life. Even Diana herself admitted that most of her hubby's friends who befriended with her at one point were not her friends at the end.

I don´t believe that Paul Burrel can give advice to princesses, he was Diana´s butler for goodness´ sake not her friend. After her death he managed to make a good living from saying he was her close friend and she was not there to contradict him.
I can´t help but think that people going to hear his lectures, promotions (or whatever he calls them) are very naive.

The friendship in the past has tended to be between Queen Noor and Queen Sofia. However, it's also apparent that Princess Alia shares quite a warm relationship with the Spanish royals.

The King may not have attended the Spanish CP wedding in 2004, but he was represented by his wife, mother, brother and sister-in-law. I'm fairly sure he had a valid reason at the time for not going. Moreover the Spanish royals were in Jordan days later for Prince Hamzah's wedding.

So far as the Expo is concerned there was no official announcement that the Jordanian royals would attend; the story originated from a magazine (Hola maybe?!).

Exactly. JC and the late King Hussein were also buddies. King Abdullah probably had his own reason for not attending the Spanish CP wedding, afterall, he hasn't attended any royal wedding in Europe since he became King, the Spanish wedding was an exception for Queen Rania who usually didn't attend the royal weddings neither.
Felipe and Letizia had attended Hashem's pre-wedding reception and at the same time were holidaying in Jordan (staying at one of their palaces) during the week of easter in 2006.

Quote:
..... and to b) convince the spanish public of Letizia's quality as future Queen of Spain and I believe there is still a long way to go......

DM, with all seriousness, other than experience accumulated with time, What do you think Letizia is not doing / has not done very well to show that she is still lacking qualities for being the queen?

What would someone more suitable as CP be doing that Letizia isn't doing?

Forgive my ignorance but when I watch them, I see Felipe and Letizia working day in, day out ...and their activities also tend more to be on the serious side of things rather than social.

Or is it just that case that the bar for Letizia has been set so high ( unconsciously to make her compensate for the way she was introduced to the public - Fait accomply )

DM, with all seriousness, other than experience accumulated with time, What do you think Letizia is not doing / has not done very well to show that she is still lacking qualities for being the queen?

What would someone more suitable as CP be doing that Letizia isn't doing?

Forgive my ignorance but when I watch them, I see Felipe and Letizia working day in, day out ...and their activities also tend more to be on the serious side of things rather than social.

Or is it just that case that the bar for Letizia has been set so high ( unconsciously to make her compensate for the way she was introduced to the public - Fait accomply )

I was talking about the big picture that comes with time and not accusing Letizia of not doing something. Sofia is highly respected as Queen of Spain, not only for the work she does but also for her professional attitude by putting duty and the "mission Spanish monarchy" above everything, even above her personal feelings. Many people in Spain give credit to her for putting on a brave face in public and getting on with the situation (eg when the Kings' "alleged" affairs became public) and holding the family together. Plus, she is a full royal which is a bonus for being respected as Queen, perfectly prepared from an early age. Bottom line: Sofia is almost flawless and it will be very hard for anyone to fill her boots. Therefore, and this is what I meant by my comment, it is essential that Sofia will continue to show publicly that she entrusts Letizia with becoming a capable Queen, and this is where her part ends. The rest will be up to Letizia, convincing the public by working hard over the years ... not to forget that Felipe is the one that really counts - it will be much more important that Spaniards consider him as a capable King rather than considering Letizia a capable Queen.

There were stories in magazines a long long time ago that the more rumours were flying about JC the closer Q Sofia was getting to "Juanito" during photoshoots. We fail to understand sometimes that the royals know they are under the microscope and they are aware the photographers are always present. It is very important for Q Sofia to show that Letizia has been accepted by the SRF since she represents with Felipe the future. She seems to be doing double duty some times since the Infantas seem distant and the King is in a rank all by himself.
DoM I understand your points and it is unfortunate and also to be expected. If Letizia belonged in a Princely or Royal House she would not have to learn so much so fast and try to adjust to a life so foreign from what she knew all her life. Luckily so far Felipe seems supportive and hopefully he will continue to be.

There were stories in magazines a long long time ago that the more rumours were flying about JC the closer Q Sofia was getting to "Juanito" during photoshoots. We fail to understand sometimes that the royals know they are under the microscope and they are aware the photographers are always present. It is very important for Q Sofia to show that Letizia has been accepted by the SRF since she represents with Felipe the future. She seems to be doing double duty some times since the Infantas seem distant and the King is in a rank all by himself.
DoM I understand your points and it is unfortunate and also to be expected. If Letizia belonged in a Princely or Royal House she would not have to learn so much so fast and try to adjust to a life so foreign from what she knew all her life. Luckily so far Felipe seems supportive and hopefully he will continue to be.

Weak point,at this day and age,as well as 40 years ago,generations of Royals married outside their own inbreeded circles,a wise and refreshing decision.Think of the Sonja´s the Silvia´s Henrik´s,Claus´s...should I continue?Each RF has other demands/priorities so
each lives up to that.

It´s not much of an effort for HM Queen Sofia,she actually does like HRH Princess Letizia.A lot.

Weak point,at this day and age,as well as 40 years ago,generations of Royals married outside their own inbreeded circles,a wise and refreshing decision.Think of the Sonja´s the Silvia´s Henrik´s,Claus´s...should I continue?Each RF has other demands/priorities so
each lives up to that.

It´s not much of an effort for HM Queen Sofia,she actually does like HRH Princess Letizia.A lot.
Lucien, you always put thing in proper prospective without any personal judgements and I appreciate this. I think people just like to try and find bits of trouble because they want there to be trouble.

Although I agree with you Lucien up to a point, remember that there is a huge difference in attitude between some royal families and others. There was a time when it was not that certain that the Spanish royal family would regain their throne and they had to be careful who they married. Obviously Queen Sofia turned out to be a wonderful choice. I remember the controversy at the time that Prince Vittorio Emanuele married his commoner wife. Some royal families have always been more open to change than others.

Although I agree with you Lucien up to a point, remember that there is a huge difference in attitude between some royal families and others. There was a time when it was not that certain that the Spanish royal family would regain their throne and they had to be careful who they married. Obviously Queen Sofia turned out to be a wonderful choice. I remember the controversy at the time that Prince Vittorio Emanuele married his commoner wife. Some royal families have always been more open to change than others.

I believe I said the very same in different wordings.But we are talking Reigning Royal Houses,not pompous,degenerate & insignificant ones.
Allthough I have warm memories of the late Queen Marie-José,néé Princess of Belgium.

each lives up to that.

Lucien, 40years ago or more, King Olav was dead set against the marriage of P Harald with Sonja and he finally gave in after 10 years , K CG had no parents and he was the King at the time he was engaged to Silvia, GD Josephine Charlotte raised a lot of dust when P Henri brought over Maria Teresa. Q Ingrid was not exactlty ecstatic when Margrethe told her about Henrik....In total, they all accepted their children's choices, and at least in public they embraced the new comers. Letizia is no different and it is lovely that Q Sofia truly likes her a lot.
I am only commenting on what I see and read. I have no inside information and the last thing I mean to convey is that there is trouble.

JC had also invovled with an Italian countess before Sofia. It was not like he had to give up his greatest love Princess Maria-Gabriel to marry the woman he didn't love Sofia, of course that was definitely a good story for the tabloids. The royal men of JC's generation have different views and limitations (since the law was set for them to marry equally) on marriages than the younger generation. Just because he had numerous affairs (nothing unusual for royal men of his generation), it doesn't mean he didn't (doesn't) love his wife.

I believe I said the very same in different wordings.But we are talking Reigning Royal Houses,not pompous,degenerate & insignificant ones.
Allthough I have warm memories of the late Queen Marie-José,néé Princess of Belgium.

Yes, I think we are saying the same thing. :flowers: I can´t remember much about Queen Marie-José but I remember her younger daughters well, especially Beatriz, a lovely girl. I saw King Umberto a lot and the young Prince who was quite a handsome young man then and very attractive to the young ladies of Cascais.

The Princess of Asturias supports friendship before her wedding and has new friendship. The Princess has friends, journalists some of them, but these always have been very discreet ... it is not strange to read in the press that the Princess goes to the cinema or to having dinner with a friend. Also she has entered in touch with the friends of the Prince, there are many news of the Princes in dinners, birthdays or friends' weddings.

In general, the good friends of the Princes do not presume to be. The Princes are in the habit of being discreet in their exits, are not in the habit of coming to big parties or very crowded places.

Thank you, lula. Could you say some names of Letizia's friends ?

All the royal ladies look lovely, but Elena looks so serene and beautiful.

Originally Posted by madeleine victoria
That's really cute. He really made an effort to meet her. Now we know how their love begins... :wub::ROFLMAO:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn
El Comercio Digital/Algo sobre Letizia

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
The nice encounter mentioned in the article must have happened in the summer of 2003, when Felipe & Letizia were already a couple and probably even secretly engaged. I don't believe Felipe would have made his mother aware of Letizia in the summer of 2002 as they had not even been properly introduced back then, that only happened in October 2002. Felipe needed a careful strategy to get his parents involved and making his mother curious by watching boring TV news updates was a clever solution.

The article also mentions that there were no objections against Letizia. I don't believe a second that the Queen was charmed with the tought of a divorced woman on the Spanish throne from the very beginning. Not to forget, Queen Sofia is also a mother who relentlessly fought back another great love of her son, Eva Sannum, for 4 years, despite Felipe's desperate attempts to get her accepted by his family and the public, eg by leaking private holiday pics to the press or even taking her as his dinner partner to the wedding of CP Haakon and Mette-Marit. All in vain when the Kings finally disapproved and they had to split. In Letizia's case, Felipe was determined not to live through another desaster and let his parents spoil another relationship. There are lots of credible sources (eg the book "Tu seras mi Reina") that confirm that the Kings opposed to Letizia in the beginning but finally had to give in and let their son have his way. To say that there were never any objections is only a sugar-coated harmony version of the events.

From the day it was decided Queen Sofia transformed back into the Professional she is, doing her utmost to make her future daughter-in-law a success for the sake of the monarchy and a future monarch Philip VI.

Duke, this book is not a trustworthy source. The journalists who wrote it did it in one month, so a lot of time they did not dedicate. In addition, they are journalists, owners of an agency of gossip, and do not stand out for their ethics. It was written by persons who only worry for doing business, and that in numerous occasions have demonstrated their lack of ethics, professionalism, and their lack of scruples. They have sold persons of those who were saying to be friends, for the business, and have not had problems in paying to delinquents to damage to a woman that they do not like, using for it a girl.

So checks your sources of information, because you have chosen the worst.:ohmy:

I've moved the topic here, out of the current events topic.

I'm not insisting on the book lula, it just came to my mind as an example of many other - including so called "credible" - sources that confirmed it was not all well in the beginning - mentioned and discussed before in old threads on this forum. It actually makes sense that Queen Sofia was not happy about her precious son getting married to a divorcee instead of a royal or noble girl, at least in the beginning. And it also makes sense that Felipe was determined not to look like a fool again and fight for his choice this time after the sad end of the Eva Sannum saga. For example, as a consequence, he decided to extend his trip to New York (Letizia was there at the same time, as we learned later) instead of travelling back and attending the parade of National Day 2003 (his visit in NY officially ended on Oct 10th). The Royal House tried to downplay Felipe's absence but Sofia's face during the parade that day spoke volumes.

My point is that that Queen Sofia or the Kings were not too excited about Felipe's choice in the beginning, which is not only well documented in numerous sources but also makes perfectly sense when looking at the "big picture". No matter what Queen Sofia now dictates into Pilar Urbano's note pad, I am not buying the sugary version "all was well from the very beginning" for the sake of a harmonious legacy.

I admire greatly Queen Sofia, not only because IMO she is a regal person, a true Queen. I also understand her task in trying to bring some equilibrium between the various members of her immediate family. The two Infantas (Elena and Cristina) used to be very close to Letizia. I don´t know what happened that nowadays they aren´t so close to Letizia. Once more, Queen Sofia, who is a loving grandmother, shares herself with all grandchildren equally. But it is strange, really that we don´t see Leonor and Irene interrracting, as they probably should, being of the same age, just like Froilán and Juan are best friends as well as cousins.

I admire greatly Queen Sofia, not only because IMO she is a regal person, a true Queen. I also understand her task in trying to bring some equilibrium between the various members of her immediate family. The two Infantas (Elena and Cristina) used to be very close to Letizia. I don´t know what happened that nowadays they aren´t so close to Letizia. Once more, Queen Sofia, who is a loving grandmother, shares herself with all grandchildren equally. But it is strange, really that we don´t see Leonor and Irene interrracting, as they probably should, being of the same age, just like Froilán and Juan are best friends as well as cousins.
There is probably a lot of reasons -- Not living close or job commitments or just wanting to be alone after all the social obligations. My siblings and their children drifted apart for many years due to all of the above, but that didn't mean we did not like each other. In the photos I saw, it looked like Elena and Letizia were friendlier than Cristina -- but then Cristina is always with her husband and Elena is now alone -- so maybe the pictures are not giving the exact story -- you know how that can be.

There is probably a lot of reasons -- Not living close or job commitments or just wanting to be alone after all the social obligations. My siblings and their children drifted apart for many years due to all of the above, but that didn't mean we did not like each other. In the photos I saw, it looked like Elena and Letizia were friendlier than Cristina -- but then Cristina is always with her husband and Elena is now alone -- so maybe the pictures are not giving the exact story -- you know how that can be.

I think you may have a point there. Yes E&L seem to get on better than with C, but need to look @ context etc - we dont hear what they're saying or know how they privately think, we just see...

My point is that that Queen Sofia or the Kings were not too excited about Felipe's choice in the beginning, which is not only well documented in numerous sources but also makes perfectly sense when looking at the "big picture". No matter what Queen Sofia now dictates into Pilar Urbano's note pad, I am not buying the sugary version "all was well from the very beginning" for the sake of a harmonious legacy.

Pilar Urbano had never said 'all was well from the very beginning' or 'the Kings were extremely excited from the very beginning'. Felipe was supposed to tell his mother that he wanted to marry Letizia, Queen asked him 'Marriage is for life ?', after Felipe acknowledged that Letizia was the woman he wanted to spent his life with, Queen told him to 'think about it' again. Anyway, Letizia was probably not Sofia's ideal wife candindate for Felipe, but she was also quite different from Felipe's famous exes. Other than her middle-class background or divorced (without a child), she has the qualities more close to the women Queen liked for her son, for example, Queen Beatrice's niece Maria-Carolina or LVMH Delphine Arnault, intelligent, hard-working, with solid academic education and career achievements.
Regarding Felipe's absence at the 2003 National day, at that time I heard there was a plane problem. I don't think Felipe was able to have the official plane staying in New York for an extra day because he had arguements with his parents. Tiempo magazine said that Letizia was not in New York with Felipe, she appeared on the Friday night evening news that week, that was also confirmed by Letizia's former boss in TVE.
When Felipe and Letizia visited Covadonga for his birthday in 2004, a woman brought 'that book' asking for Letizia's signature, Felipe was joking to the woman to bring a better book next time.

Once again King Juan Carlos ignoring his two youngest grandchildren - the pictures from the Easter mass show him standing around like a piece of wood, hands behind his back, not even looking at them. In the past he has proven that he can be a warm and affectionate grandfather towards his other grandchildren (at least Elena's kids and Cristina's boys) and his own children - but with Leonor and Sofia, even when there is the opportunity, he doesn't show the slightest affection.

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/85919895/WireImage
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/85919900/WireImage
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/picture/13395735.html

In JC's case it's not only about a grandfather ignoring his grandchildren but also about the King ignoring the children of his heir, including the future heiress presumptive. Unlike other monarch parents, who try to promote the heir and even the consort and give public support whenever there is a suitable opportunity, JC keeps quiet, especially when it comes down to Felipe's family, Letizia and the girls, the future SRF. The few family pictures that exist are those he could not avoid to do, like some summer photoshoots (even cancelled in the last 2 years) Leonor's and Sofia's christening or the Xmas card 2006, and his facial expression or body language speak volumes.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/565...35F8FA9CA92A6E706A5B4FB1CCC566B49E290EC96DE79
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01c55J43wN4cy/610x.jpg
Getty Images - Baptism Of Princess Sofia Of Spain

Certainly JC will have his reasons for doing such meaningful gestures in public again and again, refusing to play happy grandfather, something that is even supposed to come natural. No, he chooses not to pull off an acting performance for the sake of the happy united family image, asking the public to have confidence in Felipe and his family as the future Head of State, because he, JC, does. JC's behaviour is strange and not helpful for everybody involved, not Felipe, not Letizia, not Leonor, not the Spanish monarchy. Looks like JC couldn't care less because if there is one thing for sure, it is that he won't be around to see how his son will be doing as King one day.

I think King Juan Carlos was aloof towards his grand daughters. It was a disappointment to see them together. The girls were just adorable and he looked like he did not want to be there with the family.

I think we are readig too much into these pictures. Just that there are no photos of the king being 'involved' with his two grand daughters during this function, doesn't mean that we know how fond of them he is or is not.

I think Juan Carlos was just uncomfortable that Letizia and the girls were getting so much media attention. He is very machista and old fashioned. He had the same attitude during the French visit. I don't think JC knew enough Carla to like or dislike her, it's the media circus that annoyed him.

Back
Top Bottom