Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While watching the photos and videos, I think that the Queen and Letizia are friends, they get along very well. Letizia seems quite close also to Elena and Jaime.
Here´s a photo of Letizia and Elena from the Rostropovich Gala
Radial Press/KorpaPress
Letizia and Elena seem to get along just fine.

It looks like Cristina and Letizia get along just fine as well. At least according to this picture (and there were other pictures from the event, where the 2 were apparantely quite enjoying each others company). :)

Seems Cristina, Elena and Letizia get along just fine

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9572/princes00009gj3.jpg
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5060/reportersprinces0001221vh5.jpg
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/4198/reportersprinces00023sq0.jpg

(I don't know why, but I can imagine the three of them getting dressed together for the concert :lol:)

And it seems Elena is now closer to her siblings than ever:

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5954/reportersprinces0000121ay8.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2003/reportersprinces0000221kc1.jpg

(Reporters)

Last edited:
If there was any tension between Cristina & Letizia then I think it was at the right begining of the marriage and the two growns ups worked it out becasue persobally, I dont see them going anywhere when there are tensions & Letizia or Cristina would want that. I think everything is worked out, from the last pictures they all seem to be getting along just fine. It was really nice to see her close with her sisters in law. Letizia easily couldve walked in front with her husband.

This is going with the discussion over in the Easter 2008 thread, and I thought that this would be a more appropriate place.

I don't really understand what's going on with the Spanish Royal Family, especially with the ladies, excluding Queen Sofia. I read somewhere on TRF's that Cristina was the one who initially supported Felipe and Letizia when they were dating or engaged, and now we see that she and Letizia don't even associate with each other, in a friendly or "I'm just being polite" way. Elena and Letizia used to be polite, but not so much anymore, but, granted, Elena does have a lot on her plate right at this moment. At Easter, the Asturias couple and Leonor were practically ignored by everyone, and little Sofia only got attention from Juan Valentín and Queen Sofia, and that was very brief attention. Everyone else was talking with each other and associating, and even Irene, who is basically the same age as Leonor, was able to be with the others. The cousins didn't even include Leonor with them, and they were all kind of in a bunch together. I mean, Leonor and Irene are really too young to do associate with each other by themselves, but in a big group, they certainly could! Really, I haven't seen Leonor associate with her cousins much at all, besides Victoria and Froilan, and with Miguel in Mallorca during the summer. She seems to be a very open, engaging child, so I don't know whether she's just not at the level where she can associate well with other, older children, or whether her mother just doesn't want her to. I noticed at the Easter photoshoot, Irene was free from her parents and could wander around a little bit, but Leonor was kept very near her parents, and I saw that she did try to "break away" a few times, maybe to go near Irene? I don't know, but I just don't like the way the family and their children seem to be associating.

How can we speculate so much from just a few moments? We don't know what happens behind the palace walls. They just stood outside for a few seconds to let their pictures be taken. It isn't a social event.

I don't really understand what's going on with the Spanish Royal Family, especially with the ladies, excluding Queen Sofia. I read somewhere on TRF's that Cristina was the one who initially supported Felipe and Letizia when they were dating or engaged, and now we see that she and Letizia don't even associate with each other, in a friendly or "I'm just being polite" way. Elena and Letizia used to be polite, but not so much anymore, but, granted, Elena does have a lot on her plate right at this moment. At Easter, the Asturias couple and Leonor were practically ignored by everyone, and little Sofia only got attention from Juan Valentín and Queen Sofia, and that was very brief attention.

ACDC: I agree with everything you said. I watched several videos and I think it was apparent that Felipe and Letizia were being ignored. I find it painful to even look at the pictures. I hope that the Spanish Royal Family will find a way to resolve their differences. (This is certainly not the first time we have seen this.)

Acdc, the Infanta Leonor was with her father almost at all time, not with her mother, so you blame the Princess (as always:bang:). The Queen looked for Leonor and was the girl the one that decided to remain with daddy. This summer we have seen as Leonor relates perfectly to her cousins.

Since always it happens in these photos, the attention of the press centres on the Princes and their daughters, Leonor and Sofía are Infantas and they are never going to be judged as their cousins. If they stick out as Irene or are serious as their cousins, they are going to be judged with great more hardness.

I believe that nobody in the Royal Family likes these photos. For years they avoided these photos of family, and only with the wedding of the princes they met obliged to recover them for the pressure of the press. And they all know the one who centres the attention, and who is going to be the object of the judgments.

How can we speculate so much from just a few moments? We don't know what happens behind the palace walls. They just stood outside for a few seconds to let their pictures be taken. It isn't a social event.

ditto. the problem here is that too often people try to deduce big conclusions and assumptions from so little things (such as a couple of photos and few minutes' worth of video).

ditto. the problem here is that too often people try to deduce big conclusions and assumptions from so little things (such as a couple of photos and few minutes' worth of video).

Totally agree!

All is not well in the SRF as the pictures of the last two years clearly show. I see the princes more or less ignored by the Infantas and their families and the same goes for the children. There is almost no interaction at all, not even the usual informal chatting between those parties. I see tough and lonely times for the princes ahead once they will enter the center stage, with the Infantas bowing out and especially Queen Sofia being no longer around at some point, the anchor and soul of the family, who makes most effort to hold everything together. Felipe will probably be busy with getting rid of the long and wide shadow of his father for many years and Letizia will almost certainly never get anywhere near the class and regal appearance of her perfect mother in law. An affectionate relationship to extended members (in this case the sisters / sisters in law) could be helpful for the public image but at the moment this scenario seems to be very far from the truth.

All is not well in the SRF as the pictures of the last two years clearly show. I see the princes more or less ignored by the Infantas and their families and the same goes for the children. There is almost no interaction at all, not even the usual informal chatting between those parties. I see tough and lonely times for the princes ahead once they will enter the center stage, with the Infantas bowing out and especially Queen Sofia being no longer around at some point, the anchor and soul of the family, who makes most effort to hold everything together. Felipe will probably be busy with getting rid of the long and wide shadow of his father for many years and Letizia will almost certainly never get anywhere near the class and regal appearance of her perfect mother in law. An affectionate relationship to extended members (in this case the sisters / sisters in law) could be helpful for the public image but at the moment this scenario seems to be very far from the truth.

Don't worry, I don't see how the Princes would be any lonelier than the Kings today. Indeed Queen Sofia is the anchor and soul of the royal family, but that doesn't include the King's two sisters Infanta Pilar and Infanta Margarita either:lol:, I don't see how Letizia can't do the same with the grown up Leonor and Sofia and their new families.
I think Felipe is still close to his sisters, probably not as close as when he was single, but that's perfectly normal since he is very busy with his work and his own family, the Infantas the same, plus Cristina doesn't live in the same city Madrid. The Princes also have a very busy social life too that include many private lunches, dinners, tea parties with people from various sectors, from yesterday's award ceremony, it's quite obviously that they are very comfortable socializing with people from various sectors (ex Politicians, businessmen, writers, journalists, artists and etc), definitely a big improvement for Felipe compared to his single days.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I don't see how the Princes would be any lonelier than the Kings today. Indeed Queen Sofia is the anchor and soul of the royal family, but that doesn't include the King's two sisters Infanta Pilar and Infanta Margarita either:lol:, I don't see how Letizia can't do the same with the grown up Leonor and Sofia and their new families.

You have a point regarding the Kings today; I believe that Sofia is even more isolated than JC. Don't think she had an easy life in a foreign country in a - at times - hostile environment and with the King going astray. There is another factor that applies to younger royal families in general but to this one in particular: age. JC & Sofia had their first child almost 15 years earlier than Felipe and were 30 years of age when their family was complete whilst Felipe is already fourty and will probably have more children. What I want to say is that we only have this nice situation now with the Kings, their children & grandchildren because they started their family very early. When we look into the future it could well be that Felipe will celebrate his 70th birthday the same way he celebrated his 40th - with his wife and two (or more) unmarried children. Leonor will only be 30 years old by then and when looking at society in general or other royals (CP Victoria) she might not even be married by then let alone have children. And that would be indeed give very different (and sad) picture of the SRF compared to today.

I see tough and lonely times for the princes ahead once they will enter the center stage, with the Infantas bowing out and especially Queen Sofia being no longer around at some point, the anchor and soul of the family, who makes most effort to hold everything together.

Every family undergoes a transition, a sort of redefinition, this is normal, but more easily observed in a royal family. Letizia will become the new anchor of the family over time (a long time) and attention will be focused on the infantas and their eventual families. Elena and Cristina will always be of some interest, but less so as time goes on.

Letizia will almost certainly never get anywhere near the class and regal appearance of her perfect mother in law.

Queen Sofia is a lovely woman and admittedly a tough act to follow, and she has proven herself a good mother. She and Letizia are very different physical types and have very different backgrounds. Letizia has a delicate sort of beauty combined with an interesting austere modern presence. She has shown in the past four years that she understands her role and his committed to it. She obviously loves her husband; this is no small thing. Despite her more humble beginnings (more humble than Sofia, that is) she has barely had a single misstep.

I had to give a prize for "class and regal appearance" I would give the prize to Letizia. Only time will tell, though, whether she will be the excellent "family former" that Sofia was.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia is a lovely woman and admittedly a tough act to follow, and she has proven herself a good mother. She and Letizia are very different physical types and have very different backgrounds. Letizia has a delicate sort of beauty combined with an interesting austere modern presence. She has shown in the past four years that she understands her role and his committed to it. She obviously loves her husband; this is no small thing. Despite her more humble beginnings (more humble than Sofia, that is) she has barely had a single misstep.

I had to give a prize for "class and regal appearance" I would give the prize to Letizia. Only time will tell, though, whether she will be the excellent "family former" that Sofia was.

I agree with you royaltywatcher. Considering all the ridiculous and made-up stories in the media, the unconstructive and usually undeserved criticism, and what her family has gone through, she has shown as much, if not, more class than someone who was born royal.

I agree with Ferrara and royatywatcher. I admire Letizia and Felipe for their dignified and caring manner. It is going to be a challenging future, but they are both doing a wonderful job and will continue to do so.

No need for Letizia to try to follow Sofia's footsteps. This is another time and generation. Letizia will find her own voice and style and will be just as "queenly" as Sofia when her time comes. Silvia in Sweden has proved that not being born royal is not an obstacle to being "royal". It takes more than bloodlines to be royal. Character, integrity, work ethic and charisma are not guaranteed by your bloodline. Letizia and Felipe will be a great royal reigning couple.

Letizia will find her own voice and style and will be just as "queenly" as Sofia when her time comes. Silvia in Sweden has proved that not being born royal is not an obstacle to being "royal". It takes more than bloodlines to be royal. Character, integrity, work ethic and charisma are not guaranteed by your bloodline. Letizia and Felipe will be a great royal reigning couple.

You are absolutely right although it's a topic to disagree on regarding the ladies or gentlemen concerned. Royal blood has not much to do with a regal appearance. There are royals who are born royals with either disgraceful behaviour (Ernst August of Hanover) or the perfect regal touch (QEII or Sofia of Spain); same thing can be found among commoners turned royals (Fergie / Queens Silvia of Sweden or Rania of Jordan). Many royals are somewhere inbetween. I simply don't see much of a regal touch in Letizia, find her and Felipe rather ordinary, nothing special, both lack the sparkle that makes people believe in monarchy. But as I said, that's just my opinion and probably a bit off topic here.

Different countries have different situations, comparsions is just not there. JC has the Spanairds believe in him (not even monarchy) after the military coup. On Gustaf and Siliva, I always find them extremely ordinary (the most ordinary among the Scandinavian monarchies IMO) except for Silvia's expensive clothes, now her bloated surgically repaired face (something you almost can predict happening long ago), I don't see how they would have inspired Spaniards believe in monarchy if they were the Kings of Spain :cool:.

Different countries have different situations, comparsions is just not there. JC has the Spanairds believe in him (not even monarchy) after the military coup. On Gustaf and Siliva, I always find them extremely ordinary (the most ordinary among the Scandinavian monarchies IMO) except for Silvia's expensive clothes, now her bloated surgically repaired face (something you almost can predict happening long ago), I don't see how they would have inspired Spaniards believe in monarchy if they were the Kings of Spain :cool:.

I agree with you, as a matter of fact if you put Mary and Fred or any other crown couple to be the next ruler of Spain I hardly believe the monarchy will still be alive. WHat Felipe and Letizia does is what the country defines for them. Just like other crown couple they act as to what they think is good for their country. This is the reason why I believe in them, she's not fashion savvy as if she should be the next princess supermodel and he's not lax with his duties.:)

The main problem with Cristina and Letizia is that during her wedding she asked her to host her political family (a high-class bankers family) but she denied it.
They had been really close friends before that happened.

ACDC: I agree with everything you said. I watched several videos and I think it was apparent that Felipe and Letizia were being ignored. I find it painful to even look at the pictures. I hope that the Spanish Royal Family will find a way to resolve their differences. (This is certainly not the first time we have seen this.)

I did not wanted to comment this either but I also saw a video (maybe I am very susceptible) after the publication of personal letters of the King addressed to the Prince as a student. In the video, the king faces him with real hardness. I was tembling for a few minutes, wow, that video in Palma was harsh.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recall a moment from the goodbye dinner in Palma this year and I am not sure if it is captured on a pic or if it is just on video (maybe crisinaki knows?)

I am talking about the moment when Cristina walks past her father. For a few seconds he pinches her arm very affectionately and both are beaming. It's just a small gesture but it shows how close and caring Cristina and King Juan Carlos are.

This is just my opinion but from what I have read, HM the King had a Wonderul, loving relationship with his own grandmother HM Queen Victoria Eugenie, and his mother HRH the Coutess of Barcelona, and that his majesty was devestated at the death of both women, and we've all seen the pics of HM crying at the funeral of His mother, IMO i think it's Extremely dissrespectul for some people to continue to label the King as "Uncaring" , distant etc...... Outside of the family, do any of us Really know that happens behind closed doors in the Royal Family?

I agree with you, as a matter of fact if you put Mary and Fred or any other crown couple to be the next ruler of Spain I hardly believe the monarchy will still be alive. WHat Felipe and Letizia does is what the country defines for them. Just like other crown couple they act as to what they think is good for their country. This is the reason why I believe in them, she's not fashion savvy as if she should be the next princess supermodel and he's not lax with his duties.:)
I really agree with you. Different countries different manners and customs. Maxima would never do in Spain and the other way around. I like the fact that Felipe and Letizia are a good looking rather normal couple trying really hard to be exactly what their country respects. Actually, to me, it doesn't look like Filipe's sisters hate Letizia, just that they had to step "down lower" in rank to her as she will be their queen some day. They are acting in public as they should towards their future queen. I have seen Queen Elizabeths's children be rather stiff to her in public on occasion -- it called protocol -- besides they are probably just much happier with each other behind closed doors. I wouldn't look for trouble on the basis of a few photos.

Could someone who is reliable answer a question I have about Isabel Sartorius, who was reportedly once a serious girlfriend of Prince Felipe?

I never saw the young woman but she was supposed to be a beautiful aristocrat. Juan Carlos and Sofia opposed the marriage because Ms Sartorius has divorced parents?

But the woman Felipe eventually did marry had divorced parents too and of course is herself a divorcee.

So this is confusing to me and if anyone can provide some light and clarification i would appreciate it-thanks!

I would not qualify myself as reliable but this is what I know. Isabel's parents are divorced. There was some scandal about her mother she is the step daughter of Princess Nora of Liechtenstein. She is married and lives in London and is actually on enough friendly terms with Prince Pavlos to show up at his wedding. The King and Queen were opposed to their love story because Isabel had 3 boyfriends before she met Felipe. She was a true beauty and seemed like P Felipe was seriously in love.
Last but not least let's put it this way..........we always end up with what we dislike the most.

Could someone who is reliable answer a question I have about Isabel Sartorius, who was reportedly once a serious girlfriend of Prince Felipe?

I never saw the young woman but she was supposed to be a beautiful aristocrat. Juan Carlos and Sofia opposed the marriage because Ms Sartorius has divorced parents?

But the woman Felipe eventually did marry had divorced parents too and of course is herself a divorcee.

So this is confusing to me and if anyone can provide some light and clarification i would appreciate it-thanks!
Look up the article The Royal Reject: Life After The End Of A Romance
by: Graham Keeley, 16 April 2007
It told the story in detail

Her parent's divorce was definitely not the main reason. Maria-Carolina de Borbon Parma y Oranje Nassau had been invited by JC and Sofia for the marriage meetings with Felipe and her parents were divorced.
Felipe was still young and not ready for the marriage when he was with Isabel. Later in life, Isabel became a single mother with a daugher born out of wedlock (she has never been married) in 1997, afterwards Felipe was no longer interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom