Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Froilán is always involved in this type of mess ... on the one hand, it is his own personality, on the other, the portrait that the press has always made of him, and which makes him an easy target for attacks and so it has been since childhood.

I agree; I'm not surprised that Froilan made these comments on the train, in fact I had expected him to get involved in the debacle sooner. I still wonder when this whole situation will die down.

That news is from last Sunday, before Sofia got her picture with the two girls... I do not think that from now on they have any different plans for the girl, than they had before.

Froilán is always involved in this type of mess ... on the one hand, it is his own personality, on the other, the portrait that the press has always made of him, and which makes him an easy target for attacks and so it has been since childhood.

Still interesting to think he could have been the prince of Asturias (and Elena queen) had they decided on equal primogeniture with the return of the monarchy/in the constitution in the 70s.

That was never gonna happen in Spain in 1975 :previous:

And this probably the wrong thread to discuss the merits of an Elena queenship ;)

Actually, I believe there were talks about it and some disagreements back in the 70's, but in the end they kept the traditional Castilian succession to the Crown by request of Juan Carlos. It would've been changed already if the Crown wasn't so protected in the Constitution. Even a tiny little change that everyone agrees on would require a hard long process of modification.

Letizia “does not want to accept that the monarchy is a full time job. It is not a job you work from 8am to 3pm and then go home. It continues to be difficult for her to accept that a queen does not have a private life.

I always thought that Letizia was far better suited to a life a la Sara Carbonero, a famous TV personality married to a man who understands the spotlight and is probably famous in his own right (not necessarily a footballer :D) but free to do what she wants, what to wear, speak her own mind, be the protagonist and control the news instead of being forced into an institution/family that stands against everything Letizia brings to the table.

Queen Sofia once said the only thing the Letizia had to learn was that one attitude was impossible in her position: No. Me. Apetece. = I can't be bothered. Her face or body language very often tells us the opposite.

Actually, I believe there were talks about it and some disagreements back in the 70's, but in the end they kept the traditional Castilian succession to the Crown by request of Juan Carlos. It would've been changed already if the Crown wasn't so protected in the Constitution. Even a tiny little change that everyone agrees on would require a hard long process of modification.

If anyone has more information on this, I have a couple of questions, which in order not to sidetrack this thread are posted here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...tution-re-succession-7742-11.html#post2092716

Keep in mind that, back in 1975, no European monarchy had equal primogeniture. Sweden was the first country to introduce it in 1980, followed by the Netherlands shortly thereafter if I am not mistaken. It was highly unlikely that conservative Spain would be the pioneer .

On the other hand, once the constitution was approved, changing it is exceedingly difficult, which discourages any proposed reform. It might have been considered if Felipe and Letizia had had a son after the infantas, but, since that did not happen, there was no sense or urgency.

Last edited:
Queen Sofia once said the only thing the Letizia had to learn was that one attitude was impossible in her position: No. Me. Apetece. = I can't be bothered. Her face or body language very often tells us the opposite.

Is this the reason why Letizia is unpopular with some members of the public?

I always thought that Letizia was far better suited to a life a la Sara Carbonero, a famous TV personality married to a man who understands the spotlight and is probably famous in his own right (not necessarily a footballer :D) but free to do what she wants, what to wear, speak her own mind, be the protagonist and control the news instead of being forced into an institution/family that stands against everything Letizia brings to the table.

Could you help me with this? :huh: Her face and body language are the opposite of what?

I'm muddled on what is being conveyed here. Are you saying that Letizia has an attitude of "I can't be bothered"? Or that Sofia said that Letizia has that attitude and must un-learn that attitude? Many thanks for clarity.

Last edited:
Could you help me with this? :huh: Her face and body language are the opposite of what?

I'm muddled on what is being conveyed here. Are you saying that Letizia has an attitude of "I can't be bothered"? Or that Sofia said that Letizia has that attitude and must un-learn that attitude? Many thanks for clarity.

I assume Duke of Marmalade tried to say that Letizia needed to unlearn the "I can't be bothered' attitude (according to Sophia) but that, unfortunately, Letizia still shows exactly that type of behavior/expression.

I assume Duke of Marmalade tried to say that Letizia needed to unlearn the "I can't be bothered' attitude (according to Sophia) but that, unfortunately, Letizia still shows exactly that type of behavior/expression.

Thank you, Somebody. :flowers: But how does she exhibit that, I wonder?

Thanks Somebody ?

Sofia stated that the one thing a royal couldn't do is not to be bothered but has to pull through no matter if you like it, it pleases you or you feel good. If you don't, it can't show. She said that this was the only thing that Letizia needed to take in.

IMO very often, especially in super formal events or in those that border private character, eg photocalls, it shows that Letizia is uncomfortable, comes across as stiff and forced.

There is also a lot of critizism in Spain that Letizia's aim is to draw a strict line between 'royal' and 'private' but the expectation is to be Queen 24/7 and not only when you have to 'work' as Queen. Sofia has the image of being the ultimate professional, true or not, always ready when needed in a professional manner incl her face only showing positive emotions.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/espa...s-constitucionalistas-reina-24-horas_1546196/
https://translate.google.de/transla...s-constitucionalistas-reina-24-horas_1546196/

I think Letizia's problem is, that she didn't have a clear role as the Princess of Asturias, she wasn't allowed to do much, to have things and causes of her own. She wasn't prepared well to be queen some day. But then she was natural. When Letizia became Queen, she decided that she wants to be perfect. Letizia isn't natural with people like some royals are, that's why she looks often stiff and uncomfortable. And with trying to do everything perfect, she has become even more unnatural.
I liked Letizia a lot when she married Felipe and was the Princess of Asturias. I think Letizia tries sincerely to work for Spain and the Spaniards, but I don't like her anymore.

Exactly.
That's why she comes off as bored, stiff, stressed out in acts.
People pick that right off the bat and don't like it.
She never learned that in PUBLIC, having bad days all the time is not something she was allowed to.
In PRIVATE, she can do whatever she wants but when she's representing the Crown, she has to be willing and she doesn't appear that way a lot of times.
And if she had like one or two days of "meh" in her public appareances (she's human after all and no one can be perfect all the time) it would be fine but it's like 9/10 times she seemingly doesn't want to do what she has to do/wants to be at X place for her role :ermm:

Last edited:
Letizia has always appeared fully prepared and rather enthusiastic about the causes she got involved such as rare disease or fight against cancer. On solemn events, she appeared more serious, maybe that's what she thought she should be since they were serious events. Some people didn't like her clothes (I really hope she should get rid of Felipe Varela), then automatically associated her bad clothes choice to her dislike of the events.That's a bit too much interpretation on their own. Maybe she just had poor fashion sense ? When she was the PoA, she was being criticized for wearing pants or too casual to some of the military events, some immediately spread the rumors that she hated military. That was totally false. Felipe and Letizia have always had close contacts with his military friends and their families since they think those military men are candid and don't come with an interest.

But she did look like she disliked Mallorca for whatever reasons. Mallorca has also been the place where most of incidents or criticism happened on her. Since the SRF is not going to change the summer vacation residence soon, she should just pretend to like Mallorca a bit, tries to be as good an 'actress' as her MIL (who was said to be the best 'actress' in Spain).

Exactly.
That's why she comes off as bored, stiff, stressed out in acts.
People pick that right off the bat and don't like it.
She never learned that in PUBLIC, having bad days all the time is not something she was allowed to.
In PRIVATE, she can do whatever she wants but when she's representing the Crown, she has to be willing and she doesn't appear that way a lot of times.
And if she had like one or two days of "meh" in her public appareances (she's human after all and no one can be perfect all the time) it would be fine but it's like 9/10 times she seemingly doesn't want to do what she has to do/wants to be at X place for her role :ermm:

I know you don't like Letizia, but this statement is quite an exaggeration IMO. She didn't appear to be a jolly at every event, but neither did she not want to do what she has to do.

I know you don't like Letizia, but this statement is quite an exaggeration IMO. She didn't appear to be a jolly at every event, but neither did she not want to do what she has to do.

I see her so stressed out, so stiff most of the time, I don't really see her relaxed like you see her counterparts in other countries and people pick on that, after all Sofía always looked perfectly at ease at her acts during the years she was the "reigining" Queen and Spaniards got used to that.

Felipe is less "jolly" than his father (and I prefer his style tbh, Juan Carlos was a bit too much for me at times) but he always seems relaxed and easy-going in his role, only looks a bit tense when he sees how stressed out she is at times.

And yes, I'm familiar with the fact that she didn't grow up in a royal family but neither did some of her counterparts and you see them seamlessly fitting into their roles without showing that tenseness, that stress, that stiffness she portrays at certain times-

(My favorite male royal, King Philippe of the Belgians is not exactly the most jolly of men, but Mathilde's presence in his life has given him a lot of confidence and actually lifts him up, helps with his popularity and has helped him shown a side of himself that people rarely see before).

I agree with someone up in the thread, I think she would have been happier if she continued being a journo or if she married another known man (a la Sara Carbonero or Pilar Rubio) where expectations weren't as high.

Last edited:
if she married another known man

The exigencies of Love haven't allowed that in her case.. she and Don Felipe fell in Love, and the consequent marriage ended her old life, and made this new one, as Queen of Spain.

The exigencies of Love haven't allowed that in her case.. she and Don Felipe fell in Love, and the consequent marriage ended her old life, and made this new one, as Queen of Spain.

If love was always enough, no one would ever get divorced ;)
And royals have to make a love/brain match situation if possible.

I see her so stressed out, so stiff most of the time, I don't really see her relaxed like you see her counterparts in other countries and people pick on that, after all Sofía always looked perfectly at ease at her acts during the years she was the "reigining" Queen and Spaniards got used to that.

Felipe is less "jolly" than his father (and I prefer his style tbh, Juan Carlos was a bit too much for me at times) but he always seems relaxed and easy-going in his role, only looks a bit tense when he sees how stressed out she is at times.

And yes, I'm familiar with the fact that she didn't grow up in a royal family but neither did some of her counterparts and you see them seamlessly fitting into their roles without showing that tenseness, that stress, that stiffness she portrays at certain times-

(My favorite male royal, King Philippe of the Belgians is not exactly the most jolly of men, but Mathilde's presence in his life has given him a lot of confidence and actually lifts him up, helps with his popularity and has helped him shown a side of himself that people rarely see before).

I agree with someone up in the thread, I think she would have been happier if she continued being a journo or if she married another known man (a la Sara Carbonero or Pilar Rubio) where expectations weren't as high.

Of course you see what you want to see, from what I saw, she had normal events last week, the week before, two weeks before, don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe after the Palma incident, she had a bit stress, but it didn't affect the events. Letizia also helped Felipe improve his speech, his communication skills that are all essential for his kingship. Of course if some people don't want to see the improvement of Felipe, it's OK too.
Behind Mathilde's smile, I saw a very stressed person. I still remember at the time of her engagement, how young and lively she was, now she often dressed/looked like a 60-year-old.

Of course you see what you want to see, from what I saw, she had normal events last week, the week before, two weeks before, don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe after the Palma incident, she had a bit stress, but it didn't affect the events. Letizia also helped Felipe improve his speech, his communication skills that are all essential for his kingship. Of course if some people don't want to see the improvement of Felipe, it's OK too.
Behind Mathilde's smile, I saw a very stressed person. I still remember at the time of her engagement, how young and lively she was, now she often dressed/looked like a 60-year-old.

I don't think Letizia actually improved Felipe at all (in his role as Prince/King, I do think he's far much more grown since he got married, as a person), I've known him my entire life (literally speaking since I'm just a year younger than he is and I grew up in Spain) and he was always ready to be King, had a kind of "gravitas" since he was very young, always very aware of his role, always ready for whatever was thrown his way, he has always been great with people, specially with children, tend to put everyone at ease.

And by the stressed out part, I don't mean after the Palma incidents, I think at the beginning she was first (understandably) nervous, taking on a role that was completely new for her, that's a given and an "acclimatization" period was something everyone expected to happen.

Thing is, she's been stressed/stiff for 14 years now, doesn't really look comfortable and sometimes she can come off as "arrogant" because she tries to put out a veneer of confidence that doesn't seem to come from within.

And for Mathilde, I think it's deliberate on her part, Philippe has gone gray and the age difference is starting to show for real now, so she tries to look older (YUCK to the helmet hair tho :eek: :D) to match him better, I like to see her make-up less in her holidays, she looked beautiful in the latest pictures we saw of her in Spain, enjoying life with her husband and children, I like that she's never out of place anywhere or doesn't look utterly stressed out when she has to go out and perform her role.

Last edited:
Leidi, we have to agree to disagree here since I don't want to run into circles. I didn't say Felipe need a big 'lift' from his wife like some other royal men, he surely didn't, but from what I saw, he did improve his speech a great deal, now he is able to make very good speeches, has a better communication skill.

I like Letizia's career woman energy (maybe at times she looked more like an official in some people's eyes, but I like it) over traditional wife mellowness, of course each to their own.

Although Letizia is usually fully prepared, you can seen that there are events where it shows that she is really happy to be there, usually her own causes, that she - I believe - approaches with a career woman attitude, while she more or less goes through the motion with the rest. I agree with Lady Finn, huge mistake to not let her have her own role in the beginning like other CPs but reduced her to Felipe’s accessory.

Didn’t it take a long time for Queen Sofia to be embraced by the Spaniards? Wasn’t it mentioned, even by her that her natural expression looked dour to most, something she shared with Queen Elizabeth and was off putting for some? Didn’t it take nearly 30 years to become endeared to the Spanish public? The same with Queen Victoria Eugenia. If this is true, then Queen Letizia has time. Spain seems tough on it’s Queen Consorts.

Didn’t it take a long time for Queen Sofia to be embraced by the Spaniards? Wasn’t it mentioned, even by her that her natural expression looked dour to most, something she shared with Queen Elizabeth and was off putting for some? Didn’t it take nearly 30 years to become endeared to the Spanish public? The same with Queen Victoria Eugenia. If this is true, then Queen Letizia has time. Spain seems tough on it’s Queen Consorts.

Good points. :flowers: Especially the off putting 'dour expression'. So much of the Letizia dislike seems to be based on similar physical mannerisms, though tbh whenever I see Letizia in pictures she looks fine to me, always with a pleasant smile or facial expression, which is why this critique puzzles me. ??

Back
Top Bottom