Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They both, Queens Letizia and Sofia *have to* do this. This is the *job* that is required of them at all times. This was a *family spat* as all families have these, noting new or unusual here. This is for the good of the monarchy not just Letizia or Sofia but as a whole for the entire family and the country.

Where it seems fake or not is besides the point, they must make amends with each other for if not then this family will crumble and that will not be in the best interest of the monarchy and country as a whole.

I sincerely hope that both ladies are talking and working on their issues that caused this. Both as I have said earlier were at fault, not just one but BOTH as it takes 2 people to create an disagreement. Above all they must work hard *together* for Lenore's sake for she is the future of Spain, she is the most important one here now, not Letizia or Sofia.

I agree wholeheartedly, fake or not, this had to be done. If Sofia and Letizia hadn't appeared in public together the tabloids and social media trolls would insist they were still feuding and this whole thing would keep festering.

This has been blown all out of proportion. Despite my misgivings about Letizia she DOES NOT deserve all the abuse she's taken.

It's my understanding she's estranged from most of Felipe's family, Spanish & Greek. I hope she has the sense to mend fences with her mother-in-law, the one person who stood by her when the rest of the family did not.

Other people may think this visit was "over the top" Imo there was no way not attenting JC together. Maybe "open the door" was to much but could you imagine what people would say if just Felipe & Sofia had visit JC? We still dont know what happened exactly( and i dont care) i think its not unusually looking happy with someone you have some issues, i had a couple of confrontation with my Mother in law, talked with her hours later and the other day everything was fine.. Why shouldnt this possible in a royal family?

Imo there was too much attention about NOTHING

For people who say they do not open car doors themself. look at this!

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/Queen+Sofia+Spain+Prince+Felipe+Spain+Princess+vMmy9qEidRol.jpg

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...pital-after-visiting-king-picture-id142886731

https://www.gettyimages.de/license/142659964

Last edited:
we know it is fake because when did letizia ever opened the door to anyone, let alone her in laws? never, because they have people opening their doors for them.

they never showed up anytime they visited members of the family in hospital by driving themselves to the door - they walked through the main door, presumably having parked somewhere before or being dropped off.

One thing is to criticize, another to say things that are absolutely a lie.

King Felipe ALWAYS drives the car when he visits a relative in the hospital, the place where he parks the car, depends on the hospital, but often he does it in front of the door.

Felipe and Letizia are also the ones who take their daughters out of the car.

La Familia Real se reúne con el Rey en el hospital
La Reina, los Príncipes y la Infanta Elena llegan al hospital para visitar al Rey - RTVE.es
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rcbs5
https://elpais.com/elpais/2012/04/10/gente/1334080983_880194.html

Well, to me it looked like at fair attempt at improving their image and to do so in as "natural" way as possible.
King Felipe drove the car himself, so it was "natural" for Queen Letizia" to open the door for Queen Sofia.

We can discuss whether they were smiling too much to each other for it to look convincing let alone natural, but at least it's an attempt to do something. And they didn't fight this time, so that's an improvement...
It does show that they have noticed that the cathedral-incident was disastrous and that they intend to do something about it.

More like this, please.

What's the reaction on the street?
What do people on the street believe the SRF should do to address their poor image? - Serious suggestions that is. Not sending Queen Letizia to Timbuktu without a return address... That option is of course out of the question. ;)?

Wow, so forced. They all look uncomfortable, it's so sad. Whatever is going on I really pity everyone concerned because they have some serious issues to deal with.

Opening the car door was so contrived. It might have been better to do nothing than to put on such a dismal display of family 'unity'. But yes, it's a step in the right direction at least.

Since they decided to go this route, PR-wise, of throwing the two queens together in the same scene rather than keeping them separated as some predicted and suggested, they should probably do so much more of these until people throw their hands up and say, "Yeah, yeah we get it, you're determined to present them as good pals!" They could present it an active effort for the two to get along.

Still hoping for a Felipe/Leonor angle, or just a Leonor angle. I would really like to see her get involved with appropriate, culture-related events outside of Madrid and Castilla-Leon, now that would be good publicity if managed well. She is very young but it would good for Casa Real to begin (or at least begin planning) forging an image of her as her own person.

It’s good to see that they are trying to move on at least in public. But open the door?!!! Way TOO much. It looked so fake and unreasonable. Anyway I hope this whole thing will be forgotten soon.

Since they decided to go this route, PR-wise, of throwing the two queens together in the same scene rather than keeping them separated as some predicted and suggested, they should probably do so much more of these until people throw their hands up and say, "Yeah, yeah we get it, you're determined to present them as good pals!" They could present it an active effort for the two to get along.

Still hoping for a Felipe/Leonor angle, or just a Leonor angle. I would really like to see her get involved with appropriate, culture-related events outside of Madrid and Castilla-Leon, now that would be good publicity if managed well. She is very young but it would good for Casa Real to begin (or at least begin planning) forging an image of her as her own person.

Absolutely, there must be plenty of events involving children her age, she can attend. And aren't there some competitions for children where she can present a prize or two? I.e. put Leonor in the front seat.
A zoo she can visit? Some animals she can feed and cuddle?
All this should easily be accomplished by a twelve year old - without having a family member holding her hand all the time...
If she need moral support Leonor can bring her sister.

Have her do that about once a month, so it wont look over the top. In that way people can have a positive view of Leonor on the job, and see that there is at least one member of the SRF who take her job serious...
And should she make the odd mistake people are more than likely to forgive her, since she's still only a child.

Well, to me it looked like at fair attempt at improving their image and to do so in as "natural" way as possible.
King Felipe drove the car himself, so it was "natural" for Queen Letizia" to open the door for Queen Sofia.

We can discuss whether they were smiling too much to each other for it to look convincing let alone natural, but at least it's an attempt to do something. And they didn't fight this time, so that's an improvement...
It does show that they have noticed that the cathedral-incident was disastrous and that they intend to do something about it.

More like this, please.

What's the reaction on the street?
What do people on the street believe the SRF should do to address their poor image? - Serious suggestions that is. Not sending Queen Letizia to Timbuktu without a return address... That option is of course out of the question. ;)?

I think they needed to appear in public together fairly quickly, even though they knew it would be seen by many as fake and/or an obvious attempt to tamp down the criticism of Letizia. From here on in, though, I don’t think there’s anything specific they can do. If they were scheduled to appear at an event as a family then do so, but I wouldn’t start adding a bunch of extra things or people will start to feel condescended to and get upset about THAT.

The damage is done. The focus at this point should be on at least not making things worse. To that end I hope they’ve ALL told their friends and family not to comment on the incident, ever. Not now and not down the road whenever something happens that gives the media the opportunity to bring it up again, (and again and again). Tweets, media interviews, off the cuff remarks - they all just fan the flames.

I’m sure there’s many people in Spain who can relate. Who hasn’t had ‘issues’ with their mother in law.

If anything this has probably endeared Letizia to the Spanish people. They’re just like the rest of us.

:previous: Are you kidding! I had three elder sisters who each had a "mother-in-law" and the dynamics were so just plain horrible I always swore I would only ever marry a certified orphan! :D

Families are the only people that can really stir one's passions. Either love or anger, joy or sorrow. That's life.

I’m sure there’s many people in Spain who can relate. Who hasn’t had ‘issues’ with their mother in law.

If anything this has probably endeared Letizia to the Spanish people. They’re just like the rest of us.

And they are both clearly passionate. :flowers: They flare up, and it's over (maybe, who knows)? But it's my experience that those who express themselves vividly also forget 'vividly'. ;) It's the 'smolderers' (those who smolder ? ) who are the worst, carry grudges for ever and a day. :rolleyes: Deliver us!

I have family members with whom I argue and that can ignite me (and I them). But we can also turn to guests and be a smiling and gracious twosome (I'm not talking about my husband ;) ) spreading peace and light. ? Doesn't anyone else have this kind of dynamic with anyone in their family, or with a colleague?

I particularly liked the video that showed the two women behind Felipe after their visit when Felipe was answering the questions of the press. They 'maintained' very well. Oh my lord, it is so funny! Does no one get how funny this is? Indulging in such agonized feelings regarding people one does not know (royal family or not) just cannot be good for the digestion and one's quality of life overall. :huh:

[BTW it's the holding of grudges that would adversely affect the children imo, and from what I see those children are totally okay so they likely experience a very organic/healthy expression of emotions with follow through to resolution. JMO.]

Take the 'PR' for the gesture it is and move on. They are handling it, and likely had many glasses of wine to assess the situation. ;) JMO.

Last edited:
...absolutely none of them! :D

All of them! :flowers: ;) ? Because after all, none of that is anyone's business, not so? All royalty is pretty much presenting a facade, even those who come across as genuine. One maintains until the lights go down and one is off stage. What is 'really going on' is not the property of the public. Nope.

Disagree. Maybe if Sofia was unpopular in Spain or at least less popular than Letizia. Even then Letizia would receive some blowback, though it might have died down sooner.

Imagine if Camilla publicly quarreled with her mother-in-law or father-in-law. Do you honestly believe the UK people would become endeared to Camilla because of the incident and say "Just like the rest of us! God Save Camilla!" No, it would be a sh*tstorm similar to this one.

Today's PR attempt wasn't for Sofia's benefit.

Have you been reading ANY articles or commentary about how the Spanish public is reacting to this incident?

If you have, your post must be firmly tongue in cheek.:cool:

Hmmm at risk of causing uproar again...but feels it gives some more context to the whole falling out

https://www.elplural.com/sociedad/2018/04/05/mas-tension-catedral-palma-letizia-sofia-juan-carlos
https://www.telecinco.es/elprograma...tizia-acelera-paso-catedral_2_2541555067.html

This video shows the family arriving. Juan Carlos and Sofia fall behind on the way in and Felipe is seems asking Letizia and the girls to slow down but Letizia keeps pressing on leaving them behind. It certainly seems to me that Letizia had an issue already, maybe with JC and Sofia being present but that is pure speculation, and the episode with Sofia on their exit was the fall out from Letizia already being upset.

Edit - only way it wasn't acting is if their have child-locks on the back doors of the car and so Letizia had to open it for Sofia.

Last edited:
This video shows the family arriving. Juan Carlos and Sofia fall behind on the way in and Felipe is seems asking Letizia and the girls to slow down but Letizia keeps pressing on leaving them behind. It certainly seems to me that Letizia had an issue already, maybe with JC and Sofia being present but that is pure speculation, and the episode with Sofia on their exit was the fall out from Letizia already being upset.

This is like a forensic trail. ;) You make a good point: since Juan Carlos was to go into hospital maybe the couple were not expected and just showed up? So Letizia felt the space was being invaded? Who knows.

Anyway, the absolutely only reason (imo) this is an issue is because of modern technology and social media. I'm sure this kind of stuff happens all the time behind-the-scenes with lots of royal houses, it's just that there is a clearer agreement with the media and/or the involved royals are more meticulous regarding when they drop their guard. I'm actually a bit amazed/impressed with how freely the Spanish royals acted in church: that would seem to be a good thing, not so uptight maybe? Just an idea.

Edit - only way it wasn't acting is if their have child-locks on the back doors of the car and so Letizia had to open it for Sofia.

Funny! ?

And the Academy Award for best acting goes to..........

Not sure about the best acting but I think the posters in this thread deserve the award for best script writing. This whole thing is being played out better than any popular soap opera.

"All the world's a stage,. And all the men and women merely players;. They have their exits and their entrances." - William Shakespeare.

I really think Infanta Cristina's attendance at the mass is what struck such a deep cord in Queen Letizia, her behavior is just so peculiar here, especially after watching the video of their entrance it seemed as if she was holding a grudge. But I think when Queen Sofia attempted to take the picture, it pushed Letizia over the top, whatever her reasoning, and this unfortunate incident came about because both ladies were on high alert.

I really think Infanta Cristina's attendance at the mass is what struck such a deep cord in Queen Letizia, her behavior is just so peculiar here, especially after watching the video of their entrance it seemed as if she was holding a grudge. But I think when Queen Sofia attempted to take the picture, it pushed Letizia over the top, whatever her reasoning, and this unfortunate incident came about because both ladies were on high alert.

Ah, another thread woven through the mystery! ;) Maybe unexpected? Maybe there was a row before church? Hmmm.....how would one write this play? :cool:

I think you missed the point entirely.

We had all these "informal" pictures of Felipe and his sisters growing up, doing as normal as possible in the circumstances they were dealt.

We don't get them from Leonor and Sofía and Letizia ALWAYS has to be there, I can't remember the last time I saw the girls out with only their father (I do remember tons of those of Felipe and his sisters with BOTH parents growing up).

Everything around these girls is so staged, so artificial and it's not their fault, I am sure they are lovely and that given the opportunity they would shine and breathe some life into the Spanish monarchy but so far they haven't.

What's the problem on seeing them doing some "normal" activities (playing, at school, coloring, at their hobbies) every once in a while?

They won't grow up traumatized because of that and people might actually start seeing them in a better light (like it happened for a lot of us with JC & Sofía's family growing up).

Leonor should definitely be seen more with her father (sans her mother) to drive home even further the purpose of the continuity of the monarchy, together they can be an asset for it and I hope the Casa Real PR can see that.

Playing at school? Hmmm......playing by themselves and looking like loaners with no friends?? Because the parents of the other children at school may not feel so happy to have their kids played all over the media as a way to get good pr for the family. But I guess that is too much logic right??

How is what they do any different then any other royal family???? Other then the odd one like Madeleine, or the Bhutanese royals, very few ever release private photos of their kids just being kids. They actually believe in this crazy thing called their kids having privacy. People actually get up in arms when it is suggested the Cambridges need to release more photos.

Oh yes, Leonor is never seen with her father. People really will forget she is the heir. I mean when was the last time they were in the same room???? It was so many years ago we could soon forget she is his heir. I mean when he presented her with her order recently, yikes that itsnt a rememberance at all. How will people ever recall?

Best not let the royal concubine be in any photos. People will forget that Leonor is the future queen, as her mother is not queen, she is simply 'Felipe's spouse'. Cant remind people that Leonor's mother is not the queen consort, she is simply a 'spouse'. :whistling:

FYI if you cant find photos of Leonor with her dad, you didn't try hard. Google :lol:

football game
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2016042831165/king-felipe-princess-leonor-football/

taking his daughter to school
https://ca.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2018012845817/king-felipe-queen-letizia-school-morning-video/

To be quite honest, when they are out together as a family (oh the horror they go out as a family and not ditch Letizia), of Felipe being with Leonor and Letizia being with Sofia. So the photos often evidence who exactly is his heir.

As Leonor gets older, and starts taking on duties, she will certainly be seen more, and with her father.

Cristina was present at the memorial Mass for her grandfather on April 3 but she didn't attend the Easter Mass on April 1 when the infamous Battle of Las Reinas occurred.

Not sure about the best acting but I think the posters in this thread deserve the award for best script writing. This whole thing is being played out better than any popular soap opera.

"All the world's a stage,. And all the men and women merely players;. They have their exits and their entrances." - William Shakespeare.

Exits can sometimes be messy, especially when you're talking about royals in Shakespeare.

And I don't think it's the 'script writers' here on TRF that Zarzuela should worry about, it's the script writers among the people of their own country that matter.

Cristina was present at the memorial Mass for her grandfather on April 3 but she didn't attend the Easter Mass on April 1 when the infamous Battle of Las Reinas occurred.

Sorry for the confusion, the memorial mass for the late Count of Barcelona was the one I was referring to.

Have you been reading ANY articles or commentary about how the Spanish public is reacting to this incident?

If you have, your post must be firmly tongue in cheek.:cool:

This tweet illustrates it perfectly:

Twitter "divided"... between the monarchists who hate Letizia and the republicans who hate Letizia. :cool:

(He's another journalist BTW and someone who knows a thing or two about PR, since his main occupation is to be the PR head of football teams).

And that's exactly how the last days have been around in many parts of Spain, people are talking about either Cifuentes' fake Masters or Letizia, neither thing in a very particularly flattering way :ermm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom