Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why on earth should a picture not be taken of a doting grandmother personally with her two young granddaughters, whom we are led to believe she doesn't see very often, especially given thousands of other photos had already been taken that day and would be later? Juan Carlos was in all those pose shots of the family, maybe she prefers not to have one privately with him?

I have always thought that queen Sofia is a devoted believer, and I could not believe when I saw her especially wanting to pose grandiloquent for a photo inside a church like that. I'm not a believer, but I would never do something like that, I have a respect for religious places because they are very important for many people.

I have always thought that queen Sofia is a devoted believer, and I could not believe when I saw her especially wanting to pose grandiloquent for a photo inside a church like that. I'm not a believer, but I would never do something like that, I have a respect for religious places because they are very important for many people.

As a queen she is used to prople taking pictures of her and her family in church. So, I don't think that makes her less devote. And on these non-essential issues , what is important to one believer might be irrelevant to other believers.

Personally, I agree that make church attendance a media circus isn't the way to go about it, so unless a service has national importance there is no need for video or photographs of royal family members in church.

Last edited:
If you don't want the grandparents to take pictures with the girls, don't bring them along.

If true, that's a bit childish isn't it? Does'nt Sofia have anyting better to do than take photos? Why not just have fun with her granddaugthers..

It is (normally) the only photo opp a year where the grandparents pose with these grandchildren. The summer one is only the king's immediate family and the National Day isn't attended by the emeritus couple.

Juan Carlos even especially came to Mallorca so pictures could be taken of three generations in the year in which both he and Sophia celebrate their 80th birthdays.

Last edited:
Their PR team at work. I sincerely hope that behind closed doors they are also working towards a better relationship.

If true, that's a bit childish isn't it? Does'nt Sofia have anyting better to do than take photos? Why not just have fun with her granddaugthers..

They are not taking photo's themselves. On Easter Sunday the royal family attends Mass in the huge cathedral of Palma. The church and the square were cramped and the royals interacted with well wishers, waved here and there and when the official photographer wanted to make a picture of the royal family, grandma started to assemble and Letizia started to sabotage. That is all.

Their PR team at work. I sincerely hope that behind closed doors they are also working towards a better relationship.

I don't think they have a PR team. And I hope they do not hire one. Just remain true to one self. The best proof is Letizia. Once a professional in communication. And now, look at her...

It seems so forced.

I thought the same thing... as if Letizia was asked by her PR team to act in a friendly manner towards Sofia after "cathedral gate" (the PR team probably viewed this as a great opportunity to reshape Letizia's public image). The two queens seem overwhelmingly friendly towards one another and one wouldn't think that the incident last Sunday had happened.

Interesting pictures today, the Felipe, Letizia and Sofia all going to see JC in hospital. The 3 arrived in the same car with Letizia even opening the door for Sofia.
https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2018/04/07/king_juan_carlos_arrives_for_knee_surgery,_madrid

It might be PR-driven and it might be the only real option they had to come back from the Easter-mass drama, but i'm glad they did this and got their act together...at least this doesn't make things worse

I think it looks forced. Sofia is usually very tactile, hence the whole Church incident hugging her granddaughters, if she was truly on excellent terms with Letizia I think she would have been more tactile with her. yes they are smiling, walking together etc but its all a bit robotic IMO.
Let's be honest they had no alternative, if all three were going to visit Juan Carlos then separate visits would have just made people say they were not on good terms and were still "sulking". It wouldn't at all surprise me if their PR team came up with the idea of Letizia opening the door for Sofia. They were forced into doing this by the necessity of needing to visit Juan Carlos.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing... as if Letizia was asked by her PR team to act in a friendly manner towards Sofia after "cathedral gate" (the PR team probably viewed this as a great opportunity to reshape Letizia's public image). The two queens seem overwhelmingly friendly towards one another and one wouldn't think that the incident last Sunday had happened.

It is just a wife, a son and a daughter-in-law visting a loved one in hospital.
Forget PR-team nonsense.

It might be PR-driven and it might be the only real option they had to come back from the Easter-mass drama, but i'm glad they did this and got their act together...at least this doesn't make things worse

That is true. Whilst it does seem forced it's better that they appear civil towards each other. More glares would have made the whole situation blow up even more; if possible.

Regarding today's joint appearance with the Letizia opening the car door for Sofia. Imo, too much too soon. Should of had normal politeness today. Start with kindness then over time add in gestures of affection (car door). It would make the progress in their relationship look more natural instead of a forced PR exercise. I don't think anyone believes that the two have repaired their relationship this much in 6 days.

The photographer of the King's house was in the church, presumably at the request of the king himself. I don't see how that would be Sofia's fault? If the royals weren't prepared for pictures of themselves to be taken in the church then the photographer should not have been there. Simple.

Th reaction of Letizia and her supporters on this board is as if Sofia was somehow offering up the girls for selfies to strange men or something. Those 2 girls were perfectly comfortable having their pic taken with their grandmother up until the point Letizia rudely inserted herself in that split second moment. All Letizia had to do was to instruct the photographer, who works for her family, that the picture shouldn't be made public afterwards, problem solved.

To deliberately humiliate a Queen in public, one who apparently gave her lots of support in the past, is just wrong.

The look on Felipe's face said it all.

I think it's nice that people visit their people in the hospital.

And of course it looks a little strained. But it's an effort worth making. Moving on. :flowers:

LOL, what a fake move.
They have to start to work on the Felipe/Leonor angle now.

It seems so forced.

They both, Queens Letizia and Sofia *have to* do this. This is the *job* that is required of them at all times. This was a *family spat* as all families have these, noting new or unusual here. This is for the good of the monarchy not just Letizia or Sofia but as a whole for the entire family and the country.

Where it seems fake or not is besides the point, they must make amends with each other for if not then this family will crumble and that will not be in the best interest of the monarchy and country as a whole.

I sincerely hope that both ladies are talking and working on their issues that caused this. Both as I have said earlier were at fault, not just one but BOTH as it takes 2 people to create an disagreement. Above all they must work hard *together* for Lenore's sake for she is the future of Spain, she is the most important one here now, not Letizia or Sofia.

The church incident was unfortunate but i was shocked more by the pappers,social media reaction!!!! really it was nasty to drag the two Queens like that in these madness of hesteria like if the country have no better issue than a family raw even if ths familty is the royal family.
I hope today pictures will end all these madness so King Felipe and the country can focus on the most important cases.

A united front visiting old king Juan Carlos in hospital ,I don't care if its fake or not its time to move on.

we know it is fake because when did letizia ever opened the door to anyone, let alone her in laws? never, because they have people opening their doors for them. clearly in this situation they told the footmen not to intervene and calculated that letizia had to open the door for sofia (as if that is required, takes longer for sofia to wait than open the door herself!) because they needed a PR stunt.

they never showed up anytime they visited members of the family in hospital by driving themselves to the door - they walked through the main door, presumably having parked somewhere before or being dropped off. but clearly, there would be no way of letizia showing respect for sofia if they just walked through the door. what was she going to do if they just walked in? hug her in front of the cameras?

we know it is fake by the fact that the three of them have 1000 watt smiles on their faces - they are visiting someone who is sick/recovering at hospital, clearly it is not the perfect occasion to be smiling at unison. why are they smiling if not to try to show they are a happy united family? we also know it is fake because when did letizia hold sofia by the waist in public, such as today https://www.hola.com/imagenes/reale...y-juan-carlos/0-556-212/letizia-sofia2-z.jpg?

too many coincidences all at once.

it just looks so fake. if they have PR managers, they should be fired.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding today's joint appearance with the Letizia opening the car door for Sofia. Imo, too much too soon. Should of had normal politeness today. Start with kindness then over time add in gestures of affection (car door). It would make the progress in their relationship look more natural instead of a forced PR exercise. I don't think anyone believes that the two have repaired their relationship this much in 6 days.

Opening a car door for someone else (especially an older person in the back seat) is normal politeness not a gesture of affection.

The two women made an effort to be civil to each other in public, we should just let it go now.

It is ridiculous that this family incident has created this much drama.

I think, on this occasion, it was deliberate either by their PR team or Letizia (a journalists by training). Soon this will be all somewhat forgotten (until the next family drama) they just need to get through more appearances such as this until they become more natural.

The two women made an effort to be civil to each other in public, we should just let it go now.

It is ridiculous that this family incident has created this much drama.
i agree,alot of drama about smal incident i am sure what ever the relation between the two women they forgot about it the instant they step outside the church or when they were heading home i can't understand why everyone else wouldn't let it go it's a whole week now since the mass and still each second something new,a video,a photo....this is silly this is madness and it must stop now before turning to something much more dangerous and no controllable Imo

Not being a mind reader, nor a lip reader...

... I am unable to say with certainty what actually happened at the Cathedral that day. I can, however, say with certainty that Leonor had to struggle away from her grandmother’s tight embrace twice, and that is what I will remember. And by going to google images, I can see dozens of pictures of the girls with their grandmother.

If there is truly a rift between the two Queens, the Infantas will certainly take their mother’s side. If I were Sofía, I would keep that in mind, otherwise her relationship with her granddaughters may not be close as they go through their teens and into adulthood. That happens in non royal families as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom