Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But even during the war of Wales, support for the monarchy barely dipped into the 60s.

I agree bad press is never a good thing but royals should never take their marching orders from the tabloids.
But we have to admit it was damaging. I mean look at the people who wanted a state funeral for Diana. We have to admit Diana was larger than life and was/is bigger than the monarchy. But with Spain, with social media, people will not easily forget about this. Lets hope this doesn't have a long term damage on the monarchy.

This survey from January 2017 was mentioned in another royal discussion board. Sofia received the highest approval rating, followed closely by Felipe, with Letizia third, Juan Carlos fourth, Elena fifth, and Cristina a distant sixth.

Support for the monarchy plummeted in 2013 following the scandals Benjamin mentions in post #1131. Juan Carlos abdicated in 2014 and support for the monarchy went back up by 2017.

Valoración de los españoles al Rey Felipe VI y la Monarquía

focus on Leonor and Felipe more as a duo

So the already TINY SRF, is 'in the public mind' reduced to one man and one child ? "What could POSSIBLY go wrong'...?

It doesn't have to mean ditching the others just putting some focus on Felipe and his heir doing some things together.

Please note that there is a "Thanks" button under each post. You can thank posters that way. Posts containing only (variations of) "I agree" or "Thank you" - without any additional matter- are considered empty & will be deleted. This is stated in the TRF Rules & FAQ which all of us agreed to when we became a member of this forum.

Please do not hesitate to contact the mod. team if you have questions or thoughts about the matter.

Last edited:
So the already TINY SRF, is 'in the public mind' reduced to one man and one child ? "What could POSSIBLY go wrong'...?
Two? Three? Four? what the difference?

As of now, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are supposed to get out of the picture according to some here.
Cristina, and her kids Juan, Pablo, Miguel and Irene have the plague
Elena is less and less involved, Felipe Frolian has been trashed in the press, and Victoria is very discreet.

Anyway with Leonor will come the end of the Bourbons in Spain, a dynasty started by Felipe V, grandson of Louis XIV, the Sun King on France. And I am less and less convinced that she will reign someday.

Last edited:
I'm a new member and i have been reading this thread for a while now and there are a couple of things that seems missing

First, one must understand that Spain like France Portugal Italy is latin country with its codes. It is what it is and it is a conservative patriarchal country where the respect of the elder is paramount. Those who support the monarchy as in fact the most conservative and the ones most likely to be offended by what has happened. By acting in public the way Letizia did, reflects negatively on the King who comes across like a wimp, and this is unacceptable in this society. The people who would be a bit modernist and be on the side of Letizia are generally republicans who would want to get rid of the monarchy. In effect, she is alienating the people who would support her status as Queen.

Whether she like it or not Doña Leonor is the Princess of the Asturias and she belongs to Spain. If she wants privacy, she'd better ask her husband and daughters to abdicate and they will have their privacy. Doña Elena and Don Felipe Froilan are there to pick up the responsibility if needed. You can have your cookie and eat it too.

Doña Sofia deserves respect. Letizia is queen not only because Doña Sofia stood by JC regardless of what she was going through to save the crown, but aslo because she was one of the few who supported Felipe when he decided to marry her

Those commoners who marry into royal families lack that sense of duty that is instilled into those who are born into it. They don't want to bite the bullets, they want to change the institution from within, if things don't go their way they want to divorce etc (cf The Princess of Wales). Why have a monarchy if the institution is devoided of everything that is its essence. If they want to be normal, good but then, no need for the monarchy and welcome to the republic.

Very well written post alvinking, I enjoyed reading it and agree with you entirely. :flowers:

I would just add that it isn't only the married-in commoners who sometimes lack a sense of duty, many of the younger generation of royals on the scene today seem to lack it as well, or choose to ignore it when it's not convenient to their agendas. I'm afraid for the most part noblesse oblige is a thing of the past, sadly.

I look forward to reading more from you!

What a PR mess, one of Letizia's own making. This is a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I bet she wishes she could rewind time to a week back, and handled things more rationally instead of inciting Sofia to pique.

The real losers in this are Felipe and to a lesser extent Leonor. The people already had a bad opinion of Letizia so this didn't really change how they viewed her, it just gave them satisfied confirmation. But for the most part the Spanish were endeared to Felipe and Leonor. Now they question Felipe. If he can't handle a turbulent family how can he handle a turbulent Spain? Does he let Letizia run roughshod over his whole family? And for little Leonor, the people always felt she more like her father, but now there's talk that she's being raised from her mom's template.

As others have mentioned, pr-wise going forward, they'll have to focus on Leonor and Felipe more as a duo at family events, without Letizia doing her usual shadowing and managing of the girls. Show that while the family of 4 loves each other, the are unilateral people. They aren't flying monkeys to Letizia's 'wicked witch'. Then the public will calm down. They'll go back to talking about how warm Felipe is, and how beautiful and poised Leonor is. And if Letizia is seen as less of a micro-manager, they'll probably warm to her too, though it will take longer. In the people's eyes, domineering consort can slowly evolve to assertive, professional Queen.

That's the crux of the problem for me, this is shedding bad light in those who are not to blame for it directly i.e. Felipe and Leonor, who are the present and the future of the monarchy.

The more Leonor is seen as her father's daughter instead of Letizia's (in the public eye), the better, at least for the time being.

Vega is Carla of Bulgaria's sister, remember that Kubrat (Carla's husband) was very close to Felipe and his sisters once upon a time and Carla was also part of that clique?

Seems like every single person that has known Letizia has something (not positive) to say about her :ermm:

People have motives. Jealousy is usually very bitter. Letizia is Queen of Spain and that’s enough for some family and friends to get the daggers out.

As of now, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia are supposed to get out of the picture according to some here.
Elena is less and less involved, Felipe Frolian has been trashed in the press, and Victoria is very discreet.

Anyway with Leonor will come the end of the Bourbons in Spain, a dynasty started by Felipe V, grandson of Louis XIV, the Sun King on France. And I am less and less convinced that she will reign someday.

When Leonor marries a capetien, the Bourbons will contine. We will see what happens. The Orléans, the Due Sicile, the Parmas, the Luxembourgs, the Bussets, so many Bourbons to choose.

some family and friends to get the daggers out.

And not only them.. plenty here too [regrettably]..Their hatred is evident.

Regarding Leonor - people all over social media, comments sections on news site of every political leaning, Instagram accounts, etc are talking about how rude Leonor was and how she’s clearly her mother’s daughter. And these aren’t isolated comments. The worst and most potentially damaging thing this incident has done is make many people in Spain associate Leonor with her mother. That’s not a good thing. And it’s likely completely unfair to both Leonor and her mother, inaccurate and melodramatic, but there you go. People don’t forget - in the age of social media they couldn’t forget even if they wanted to. If I were Felipe I wouldn’t be so concerned about Letizia - she is what she is at this point, good or bad, and in the end she’s just the consort - as I would be about Leonor. IMO she and just her father need to start doing some low key, non scripted events where he stands back a little and lets Leonor show everyone what a pleasant, well brought up young girl she actually is, (fingers crossed). And it should start to happen soon.

Then that says a lot more bad things about the Spanish people than the SRF. Leonor might one day be Queen, but she is still only 12 years old. If she didn't want to be an uncomfortable situation brought on by people that are far older, and supposedly wiser, than her, then she has every right to. She didn't throw a tantrum. If she didn't want to be touched, then she has a right not to be touched. I don't care if it's her grandmother or not. She handled a lot better than most 12 year olds would've. I get that there are certain expectations of her because of her future role, but I don't blame Felipe and Letizia for wanting to protect her for now so that she can be a child of her age somewhat.

Someone mentioned earlier that Leonor and Sofia seems a lot more childlike than other their age. In this day and age, that's a good thing. I well aware that there are 12 year olds that act like people twice their age. That's unnatural and I have to wonder what type of disaster they will one day become.

When Leonor marries a capetien, the Bourbons will contine. We will see what happens. The Orléans, the Due Sicile, the Parmas, the Luxembourgs, the Bussets, so many Bourbons to choose.
Not when but if

Posters interested in discussing the horrors or joys of commoners at court can do so in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/marriage-to-commoners-vs-royals-nobles-5585.html

Posters interested in discussing the joys and horrors of agnatic-cognatic succession can do so in this thread -with an excellent overview by Mbruno:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...sion-rules-for-european-monarchies-38870.html

Posters interested in the Dutch or British royal families can discuss them in the Dutch or British subforums, not in this thread which is dedicated to the Spanish royal family and their relationships.

Please note that posts in which this discussion is continued will be deleted from this thread.

Thank you.

Last edited:
How has this bad press affected the monarchy?

It reduces the monarchy to a soap opera and draws attention away from all the good things the royal family does. Whatever else some of us may think about them Sofia and Letizia are both hard workers.

People do not assume that Felipe is like his father, as people do not assume that Sofia is like Federika. So it is absurd to say that people assume that Leonor is like her mother, is a girl who will grow and make her own way.

When the press says that Felipe is very lonely, they mainly refer to the little support he receives from his parents. The image of Juan Carlos retired touring Spain and the world of luxury site in luxury place or accompanied by his former lover, have not helped. The same does not help Sofia's hearty support for Urdangarin and her determination to put Cristina back in the palace.

Vega is Carla of Bulgaria's sister, remember that Kubrat (Carla's husband) was very close to Felipe and his sisters once upon a time and Carla was also part of that clique?

Seems like every single person that has known Letizia has something (not positive) to say about her :ermm:

This, more than almost anything, is what baffles and worries me about the former Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.

She has been dissed by members of her birth family(one who wrote a book with some ugly allegations) her colleagues and her in-laws. Where are this woman's partisans in Spain? In the Gotha? Has she been asked to be a godmother to any of the recent Royal born children...I mean she is Queen of Spain after all! How much more prestigious does it get than to have La Reina as your child's godmother?

I admittedly have not been the biggest fan of Letizia's but I have seen her being warm and affable on walkabouts and when meeting children, etc. My personal opinion is that she seems to be genuinely trying to be liked.

Posters on this Forum say that she is disliked because she is a commoner. That only makes sense for the reason the traditional aristocracy is against her.

But apparently even the "plebes" in Spain don't care for her....in the video of her heckling yesterday it was not journalists and aristo's screaming "Fuera bruja!" or whatever it was.:ohmy:

And no..it wasn't only older people either.

Something is not adding up here.:ermm:

Any ideas/opinions are welcome.

Last edited:
The real losers in this are Felipe and to a lesser extent Leonor. The people already had a bad opinion of Letizia so this didn't really change how they viewed her, it just gave them satisfied confirmation. But for the most part the Spanish were endeared to Felipe and Leonor. Now they question Felipe. If he can't handle a turbulent family how can he handle a turbulent Spain? Does he let Letizia run roughshod over his whole family? And for little Leonor, the people always felt she more like her father, but now there's talk that she's being raised from her mom's template.

great comment ("If he can't handle a turbulent family how can he handle a turbulent Spain?"). i agree. one wonders.

As others have mentioned, pr-wise going forward, they'll have to focus on Leonor and Felipe more as a duo at family events, without Letizia doing her usual shadowing and managing of the girls. Show that while the family of 4 loves each other, they are unilateral people. They aren't flying monkeys to Letizia's 'wicked witch'. Then the public will calm down. They'll go back to talking about how warm Felipe is, and how beautiful and poised Leonor is. And if Letizia is seen as less of a micro-manager, they'll probably warm to her too, though it will take longer. In the people's eyes, domineering consort can slowly evolve to assertive, professional Queen.

oh dear. they already pushed JC out because of his many dramas (safari to kill innocent elephants, his relationship with his lover corinna...) and cristina and inaki due to their shady business, now precendent indicates they should do the same with letizia. ?

i already said my opinion on the evolution of leonor's character. kids with mothers with such strong characters usually evolve to be calm, docile people. i think leonor's character will be less like letizia, more like felipe, but only time will tell.

I always felt bad with Leonor because she may not reign.

This post is two-fold.

First I'd like to explore the underlying causes for the relationship between the Queens going sour.

And secondly I'd like to look at the consequences if this continues.

Okay, I understand Queen Letizia and Sofia once had a good relationship, or at the very least a working relationship.
When did the first evidence of the a deterioration of their relationship show itself to the public? - Because that may hint to what may have caused it.
I've seen Christina being suggested as the cause. I'm not sure I buy that one. Queen Sofia, and her extended family, if any, understand that a Monarch sometimes have distance himself from certain people, even family members. Queen Sofia is experienced enough to know the complicated issues in regards to the public, let alone the royal family's image and the political concerns. - And that of course applies to the Monarch's wife.
And in anyway it may only be for a few years then Christina may queitly be left back into the fold.
So while Christina may have been the trigger, I doubt that is the thing that began to sour their relationship to such an extent. IMO something happened prior to that.

Queen Sofia's extended family (of fellow royals mind you!) clearly have serious issues with Queen Letizia! It's not just about an disagreement about lacking support of a family member, (Christina) or a disagreement about what role Leonor and Sofia should have in public. This is personal!! They are genuinely hopping mad at Queen Letizia!
Queen Letizia haven't exactly helped the situation by snubbing her mother-in-law, a Queen no less, in public. To mention one episode described here in this thread.
On the other hand there is a reason why she would do something as foolish as that. What? Tit for tat? Payback for previous humiliations?
Or are we talking about Queen Letizia being too sensitive and even vindictive? I.e. she has been waiting until she became Queen, so that she could give some serious payback? - If so, we have a serious psychological issue on our hands!
Or is it bitterness that has been build up over the years, due to her being subjected to humiliations? Snubs? Wounding remarks? And now that bitterness can no longer be contained?

Queen Letizia has in my opinion made a number of serious mistakes, both PR-wise, but also on a personal level. If it is true that she has denied Leonor and Sofia access to their own grandparents, then it's bad! I can hardly imagine anything that would hurt and infuriate otherwise loving grandparents much more!
If that is the case, then King Felipe is a wimp IMO! He should have put his foot down and said of course his parents can be with his children without being supervised.
Let me be clear, King Felipe has not impressed me in this. He has allowed this to go on without putting a decisive end to it. He is basically the only one who can put an end to it. He is now supposed to be head of the family.

-----------------

And from that we go to the consequences if this persists.
Because if this feud is allowed to persists and King Felipe cannot control it and stop it with the necessary means, like therapy. He will be forced to take sides and soon... - In such a stand-off he will IMO almost certainly side with his wife. He is after all married to her and I assume he loves her. She is the mother of his children, the mother of the heir, who is facing enough difficulties as it is in the coming years. A divorce is hardly an option. At worst he can unofficially separate her, but not divorce her. - And what if he genuinely feels that Queen Letizia is the one who has been wronged here?
And to be very cynical: His parents will become more and more frail in the coming years, while his wife remains - in fine form...

However, judged from the critique and descriptions I have read about Queen Letizia here in the past few days, it's my impression that she is a very strong-willed woman.
I think, I'm actually convinced, that if King Felipe sides against her, she will divorce him. - At best she will separate him. Because to her that would be a betrayal.

I don't envy King Felipe, because he has some unpleasant decisions to make and soon!

--------------------

Another matter I think I will mention is more psychological.
It has been mentioned again and again that Queen Letizia is keeping her daughters very close whenever they are in public. It's to me almost like the girls are some sort of psychological anchor, a mental life-jacket if you will. As long as she has the girls under control, she has someone who is guaranteed to be on her side. Someone who will remain her allies.
It's a psychological mechanism you sometimes see with people who under severe stress.
Okay, it could be because she's a control-freak, but I honestly don't think so. To me this is more a symptom of someone who mistrusts most of those around her - for whatever reason.
In such a situation you tend to protect (perhaps over-protect) what is most precious to you.

- And thus ends this psychological amateur-analyses from me.

Last edited:
Something is not adding up here.

I agree, and have come to the conclusion, that NOTHING, and NO-ONE could ever satisfy to fractious a populace...

This, more than almost anything, is what baffles and worries me about the former Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.

She has been dissed by members of her birth family(one who wrote a book with some ugly allegations) her colleagues and her in-laws. Where are this woman's partisans in Spain? In the Gotha? Has she been asked to be a godmother to any of the recent Royal born children...I mean she is Queen of Spain after all! How much more prestigious does it get to have La Reina as your child's godmother?

I admittedly have not been the biggest fan of Letizia's but I have seen her being warm and affable on walkabouts and when meeting children, etc. My personal opinion is that she seems to be genuinely trying to be liked.

Posters on this Forum say that she is disliked because she is a commoner. That only makes sense for the reason the traditional aristocracy is against her.

But apparently even the "plebes" in Spain don't care for her....in the video of her heckling yesterday it was not journalists and aristo's screaming "Fuera bruja!" or whatever it was.:ohmy:

That's exactly what I think, Letizia has burnt the bridges at every single place she's been at, during her journalist days as well, in school, etc.

It's not a matter of envy, it's a matter of her somehow rubbing people the bad way every single time, everywhere.

When someone is the cause of familiar/friends disputes everywhere said person goes, you have to think that the person is the guilty party there because that would be the common denominator.

Also, people in general dislike her immensely, there's something we're not seeing there.

Casa Real can make up as many polls as they want but the truth is on the streets and if she's being booed when she goes out and slaughtered in social media, it is for a reason.

For all the people who say she is a bad, lazy Queen i really disagree! Imo she is one of most hard working Royals in Europe usually 3 events in a week more then most other royals. I think she looked happier as Queen then as Princess. I know she never was popluar like other royals or like her mother in law but i think its also fault of casareal and the government. I mean she had her first solo visit abroad after 7 years, they never let her do "her own thing", something she is interested. Imo they should give her another agenda, something she is interested, look at Maxima she is not just working in caritative way also financial.
I always thought it was ok they way the kids attend public events but after the last days i think its "necessary" Leonor attend more events!

Queen Victoria Eugenie once said. "Spanish Queens popular after the death" Queen Sofia is not death so Queen Letizia has
living competitor.

This post is two-fold.

First I'd like to explore the underlying causes for the relationship between the Queens going sour.

And secondly I'd like to look at the consequences if this continues.

Okay, I understand Queen Letizia and Sofia once had a good relationship, or at the very least a working relationship.
When did the first evidence of the a deterioration of their relationship show itself to the public? - Because that may hint to what may have caused it.
I've seen Christina being suggested as the cause. I'm not sure I buy that one. Queen Sofia, and her extended family, if any, understand that a Monarch sometimes have distance himself from certain people, even family members. Queen Sofia is experienced enough to know the complicated issues in regards to the public, let alone the royal family's image and the political concerns. - And that of course applies to the Monarch's wife.
And in anyway it may only be for a few years then Christina may queitly be left back into the fold.
So while Christina may have been the trigger, I doubt that is the thing that began to sour their relationship to such an extent. IMO something happened prior to that.

Queen Sofia's extended family (of fellow royals mind you!) clearly have serious issues with Queen Letizia! It's not just about an disagreement about lacking support of a family member, (Christina) or a disagreement about what role Leonor and Sofia should have in public. This is personal!! They are genuinely hopping mad at Queen Letizia!
Queen Letizia haven't exactly helped the situation by snubbing her mother-in-law, a Queen no less, in public. To mention one episode described here in this thread.
On the other hand there is a reason why she would do something as foolish as that. What? Tit for tat? Payback for previous humiliations?
Or are we talking about Queen Letizia being too sensitive and even vindictive? I.e. she has been waiting until she became Queen, so that she could give some serious payback? - If so, we have a serious psychological issue on our hands!
Or is it bitterness that has been build up over the years, due to her being subjected to humiliations? Snubs? Wounding remarks? And now that bitterness can no longer be contained?

Queen Letizia has in my opinion made a number of serious mistakes, both PR-wise, but also on a personal level. If it is true that she has denied Leonor and Sofia access to their own grandparents, then it's bad! I can hardly imagine anything that would hurt and infuriate otherwise loving grandparents much more!
If that is the case, then King Felipe is a wimp IMO! He should have put his foot down and said of course his parents can be with his children without being supervised.
Let me be clear, King Felipe has not impressed me in this. He has allowed this to go on without putting a decisive end to it. He is basically the only one who can put an end to it. He is now supposed to be head of the family.

-----------------

And from that we go to the consequences if this persists.
Because if this feud is allowed to persists and King Felipe cannot control it and stop it with the necessary means, like therapy. He will be forced to take sides and soon... - In such a stand-off he will IMO almost certainly side with his wife. He is after all married to her and I assume he loves her. She is the mother of his children, the mother of the heir, who is facing enough difficulties as it is in the coming years. A divorce is hardly an option. At worst he can unofficially separate her, but not divorce her. - And what if he genuinely feels that Queen Letizia is the one who has been wronged here?
And to be very cynical: His parents will become more and more frail in the coming years, while his wife remains - in fine form...

However, judged from the critique and descriptions I have read about Queen Letizia here in the past few days, it's my impression that she is a very strong-willed woman.
I think, I'm actually convinced, that if King Felipe sides against her, she will divorce him. - At best she will separate him. Because to her that would be a betrayal.

I don't envy King Felipe, because he has some unpleasant decisions to make and soon!

--------------------

Another matter I think I will mention is more psychological.
It has been mentioned again and again that Queen Letizia is keeping her daughters very close whenever they are in public. It's to me almost like the girls are some sort of psychological anchor, a mental life-jacket if you will. As long as she has the girls under control, she has someone who is guaranteed to be on her side. Someone who will remain her allies.
It's a psychological mechanism you sometimes see with people who under severe stress.
Okay, it could be because she's a control-freak, but I honestly don't think so. To me this is more a symptom of someone who mistrusts most of those around her - for whatever reason.
In such a situation you tend to protect (perhaps over-protect) what is most precious to you.

- And thus ends this psychological amateur-analyses from me.

You might be onto something here but in the long run that will only hurt the girls, because she's keeping them isolated from their father's family, they won't get to know that part of their heritage and will always be seen as their mother's daughters instead of the King's heirs.

It's a mess.

Last edited:

She has been dissed by members of her birth family(one who wrote a book with some ugly allegations) her colleagues and her in-laws. Where are this woman's partisans in Spain? In the Gotha? Has she been asked to be a godmother to any of the recent Royal born children...I mean she is Queen of Spain after all! How much more prestigious does it get to have La Reina as your child's godmother?

I'm starting to get the idea the people who are shouting are probably against the institution of a monarchy in the first place and see this as a way to express their dislike.

I'm starting to get the idea the people who are shouting are probably against the institution of a monarchy in the first place and see this as a way to express their dislike.

Staunch Republicans are usually "encouraged" to leave the premises whenever a royal is out and about, that's why you rarely see protests against the Casa Real.

This is normal people, who are fed up/dislike her, some might be republican, some might be monarchists, some might not be either thing.

The common denominator is the dislike for her, you never saw people screaming that at Sofía.

Really if you are not Spanish, it is difficult to understand the Spaniards.:lol:

Probably this opinion describes the situation quite well ...

"The fact is no longer worth anything to journalism, the new god is speculation. No one knows, and it's better for the show to be that way."

"The People wanted a plebeian queen and when they had her, they never forgave her for it. To the point that you can suspect that they wanted a plebeian queen precisely to never forgive her."

Lo que aprendió Leonor | Opinion Home | EL MUNDO

https://translate.google.es/transla...6547de2704e96118b45af.html&edit-text=&act=url

Back
Top Bottom