Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
One thing's for sure, individual biases become clearest in situations like these. Fans and haters of each Queen speak for or against them.

Your 'analysis' seems to have left out another category of "fans". The ones, that despite Letizia's evident gross misconduct, try to present themselves as objective and unbiased.

I would think that the "intelligent" Spaniards know there is more to this than meets the eye, give both women the benefit of doubt, wish BOTH women acted more graciously, and that most of all, there are more pressing matters that should be debated.

I am positive the the intelligent (sans double quotation marks) spaniards know that one cannot spin this case in Letizia's favour, despite the attempts of some of her "objective" fans.

The ones viciously and loudly attacking Letizia and Leonor might be the loudest but it is no surprise, everybody knows Letizia has not been the most popular member of the Spanish RF.

Excellent point. Perhaps it's worth contemplating why she has been so, consistently, unpopular. All the other Crown Princesses and Princes in Europe (some are also queens now) have been immensely popular and loved in their own countries. Some of them, despite a rocky start.

Loudest doesn't mean smartest though, so I doubt they're representative of "intelligent Spaniards with good sense" that you were referring to.

Indeed it does not. The merit of written words as well as spoken ones,is derived from their content and relation to facts, not for the Speaker/Writer's tone.

Hence, disguising one's opinions and biases under under a veil of "objectivity" and "good will" in a "measured" tone is neither an indication of smartness nor of being genuine.

Last edited:
People who vehemently dislike Letizia are not objective about others more measured posts or those who see there are various interpretations of the video.
They only see that which supports their dislike.

Whatever who orchestrate all this ... we have to congratule him, her or them, people didn't talk of Cristina's stellar visit to Spain and hubby, or Catalonia problems. Well played, press.

I guess Rajoy is one of those who is glad about the 'War of the Queens' taking all the headlines, Carles Puigdemont will not be extradited to Spain on rebellion charges, although he may still face action over a lesser charge of corruption. German judges have him released on bail pending a decision.

The latest video in slow motion, Leonor slapping away both hands, JC can't believe his eyes

https://www.huffingtonpost.es/2018/...l-rifirrafe-entre-letizia-y-sofia_a_23404633/

I'm a new member and i have been reading this thread for a while now and there are a couple of things that seems missing

First, one must understand that Spain like France Portugal Italy is latin country with its codes. It is what it is and it is a conservative patriarchal country where the respect of the elder is paramount. Those who support the monarchy as in fact the most conservative and the ones most likely to be offended by what has happened. By acting in public the way Letizia did, reflects negatively on the King who comes across like a wimp, and this is unacceptable in this society. The people who would be a bit modernist and be on the side of Letizia are generally republicans who would want to get rid of the monarchy. In effect, she is alienating the people who would support her status as Queen.

Whether she like it or not Doña Leonor is the Princess of the Asturias and she belongs to Spain. If she wants privacy, she'd better ask her husband and daughters to abdicate and they will have their privacy. Doña Elena and Don Felipe Froilan are there to pick up the responsibility if needed. You can have your cookie and eat it too.

Doña Sofia deserves respect. Letizia is queen not only because Doña Sofia stood by JC regardless of what she was going through to save the crown, but aslo because she was one of the few who supported Felipe when he decided to marry her

Those commoners who marry into royal families lack that sense of duty that is instilled into those who are born into it. They don't want to bite the bullets, they want to change the institution from within, if things don't go their way they want to divorce etc (cf The Princess of Wales). Why have a monarchy if the institution is devoided of everything that is its essence. If they want to be normal, good but then, no need for the monarchy and welcome to the republic.

I feel there is also a culture difference in play. Some posters see it as an irritation of individual A against individual B.

But here that individual was Doña Sofía. For many Spaniards still La Reina.
It is simply so not done to act like Letizia did. She has overstepped an invisible line in society. Besides the fact that a mother and a grandmother have a different position, there is also something like dignity and decorum. Towards a Queen.

And we are in Spain. A mother can only see a blue sky when there is a blue sky. In Spain however a mother has superpowers and knows it’s going to rain (and she is always right, especially if you decided to leave the umbrella at home).

:flowers:

Last edited:
Congratulations on your first post, alvinking :flowers:

And thank you bringing up the cultural aspect of the local reactions to this incident. Most educational. ?

I'm a new member and i have been reading this thread for a while now and there are a couple of things that seems missing

First, one must understand that Spain like France Portugal Italy is latin country with its codes. It is what it is and it is a conservative patriarchal country where the respect of the elder is paramount. Those who support the monarchy as in fact the most conservative and the ones most likely to be offended by what has happened. By acting in public the way Letizia did, reflects negatively on the King who comes across like a wimp, and this is unacceptable in this society. The people who would be a bit modernist and be on the side of Letizia are generally republicans who would want to get rid of the monarchy. In effect, she is alienating the people who would support her status as Queen.

Whether she like it or not Doña Leonor is the Princess of the Asturias and she belongs to Spain. If she wants privacy, she'd better ask her husband and daughters to abdicate and they will have their privacy. Doña Elena and Don Felipe Froilan are there to pick up the responsibility if needed. You can have your cookie and eat it too.

Doña Sofia deserves respect. Letizia is queen not only because Doña Sofia stood by JC regardless of what she was going through to save the crown, but aslo because she was one of the few who supported Felipe when he decided to marry her

Those commoners who marry into royal families lack that sense of duty that is instilled into those who are born into it. They don't want to bite the bullets, they want to change the institution from within, if things don't go their way they want to divorce etc (cf The Princess of Wales). Why have a monarchy if the institution is devoided of everything that is its essence. If they want to be normal, good but then, no need for the monarchy and welcome to the republic.

she is always right

Is not the Queen of Spain ALSO a mother [and therefore 'ALWAYS' right'] ? Particularly in this instance where HER child is being manhandled [against the childs clearly expressed will].

Yesterday in a radio program they made two teams ... those who supported Sofia were generally older people ... who supported Letizia young people.

For the elderly, Sofía is a woman who endured Juan Carlos because it was her obligation ... for young women, Sofia gave a very bad example doing it.

For some Sofia is a professional because she was born a princess ... for others Letizia is a professional because before she has worked and has lived in real life.

Sofia will always be the queen who criticized homosexuals ... Letizia who opened the palace doors to them.

Sofia is the queen of post-Francoism (has been surrounded by people close to Opus Dei)... Letizia the queen of the 21st century ... and social change in Spain has been brutal.

Society changes, and regardless of whether people are conservative or progressive there are things that according to age are seen differently. It is true that young people are usually the most progressive, and also the most republican ... but it is also true that these people grow and mature ... and they can change their ideas , but not with the same values as the adults of today.

Operation Triunfo is a musical contest that triumphed 15 years ago in Spain and had a big success. A few months ago they decided to broadcast it again, and the people were quite pessimistic about whether they would succeed years later. The program has been a huge success, and it has been because it has managed to connect with the values that young people and a large part of the people now defend.

Spain moves between two generations ... those that were born in the Franco regime and grew up in it and with the principle of democracy, and those that were born fully in democracy... and the differences go much further than the different political ideologies.

Last edited:

Thank you for words of wisdom, alviking. Brilliant post.

I think that the monarchy in Spain has a future. It needs to be cared for and well cared for. In Portugal many young people defend the restoration of the monarchy. I find this controversy exaggerated over this incident between Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia.

To me the Queen Emeritus of Spain, has proven repeatedly that she represents an antediluvian Spain, more in tune with the Francoist era, than the Spain we have watched develop in the modern era. Her Homophobia, her outbursts against Abortion, and her CLOSE links with Opus Dei clearly represent the PAST.. She does have buckets of 'Blue blood', but also 'cold blood', and she should {IMO}now retire ENTIRELY..

Sofia is a woman of her generation and so is Letizia. The question is, does the institution care about that. Just because you have a progressive Queen, the institution is suddenly equally progressive.

Sofia put up with JC's infidelty as most women of her generation and social status would have done, as 'right' as it was perceived back then, as 'wrong' is is perceived today, and rightly so. Same with regard to her views on homosexuality or abortion, it is the thinking of Sofia's generation. Lots of elderly people won't share the views of the younger generation because its not the world they grew up in.

Still, Sofia is much more than only a victim of JC's treatment, clinging on to her title. She put in years of hard work and personal sacrifices, same as JC, together they built the monarchy we have today, despite Franco, ETA and many other obstacles. I dare say without Sofia's effort and loyalty to her husband, Felipe very likely had a different job today. Of course mostly Sofia's generation remembers, that's a sign of the times, but as difficult she might be as MIL, Sofia has earned her place as Queen in the Spanish history books and deserves some respect for that, even from the younger generation. Same goes for Juan Carlos, his generation remembers, many of the young people do not.

Yesterday in a radio program they made two teams ... those who supported Sofia were generally older people ... who supported Letizia young people.

For the elderly, Sofía is a woman who endured Juan Carlos because it was her obligation ... for young women, Sofia gave a very bad example doing it.

For some Sofia is a professional because she was born a princess ... for others Letizia is a professional because before she has worked and has lived in real life.

Sofia will always be the queen who criticized homosexuals ... Letizia who opened the palace doors to them.

Sofia is the queen of post-Francoism (has been surrounded by people close to Opus Dei)... Letizia the queen of the 21st century ... and social change in Spain has been brutal.

Society changes, and regardless of whether people are conservative or progressive there are things that according to age are seen differently. It is true that young people are usually the most progressive, and also the most republican ... but it is also true that these people grow and mature ... and they can change their ideas , but not with the same values as the adults of today.

This, so true. Few countries in the world can match Spain's social transformation. Even academic research concurs with this. The World Values Survey, which monitors social change by measuring the differences in attitudes of people from different age groups, concluded that out of 80 countries, Spain had the largest difference in values between older and younger generations.

I'll digress a bit but I wonder how they will take into account Spain's rapid changes in molding Leonor for her future role.

Several posts containing personal attacks on fellow posters and some emptry posts have been deleted.

To me the Queen Emeritus of Spain, has proven repeatedly that she represents an antediluvian Spain, more in tune with the Francoist era, than the Spain we have watched develop in the modern era. Her Homophobia, her outbursts against Abortion, and her CLOSE links with Opus Dei clearly represent the PAST.. She does have buckets of 'Blue blood', but also 'cold blood', and she should {IMO}now retire ENTIRELY..

Like i said, Spain is a patriarchal conservative country. One of the title of the King is His Most Catholic Majesty, a title awarded by the Pope. The Queen of Spain has le privilège du blanc, so this is not a value judgement, but it is not surprising that her value are in line, with those of the catholic church, be it abortion, position vis à vis homosexuality, or the Opus Dei. It is what it is.

4. Anniversary Mass for Don Juan de Borbón
No one knows when their relationship went sour but Sofía has tried to be a peacemaker between Cristina and her brother, trying to convince Felipe to at least allow her back into the family life, Letizia disagrees and that's why at said funeral (which Cristina attended, the family welcoming with open arms except for F&L) the two Queens didn't talk or even look at each other at all.

5. The Palma Incident of this year.

The only one I give Letizia the point is the Cristina situation, apart from that it's just yet another demonstration of how controlling and obsessive she is with her daughters.

I suspect the tension between the two Queens at the Easter Mass was partly due to Cristina's expected presence at the anniversary Mass. Sofia won that battle and Letizia wasn't happy. Then throw in Sofia's own unhappiness at not being allowed to see her granddaughters as often as she'd like, while Letizia's own mother can. That must explain her frustration when Letizia stepped in to block the photograph.

The pot was already boiling before the disagreement over the photograph took place.

I do not follow the SRF very much so I'm not exactly in the know. Do you think that Spain was not ready for Felipe and Letizia when JC abdicated? Is there resentment about that?

Like i said, Spain is a patriarchal conservative country. One of the title of the King is His Most Catholic Majesty, a title awarded by the Pope. The Queen of Spain has le privilège du blanc, so this is not a value judgement, but it is not surprising that her value are in line, with those of the catholic church, be it abortion, position vis à vis homosexuality, or the Opus Dei. It is what it is.

Exactly. Plus, her views are shared by many contemporary, living people. It's a ruse to say that some views are "in the past."

Doña Sofia deserves respect. Letizia is queen not only because Doña Sofia stood by JC regardless of what she was going through to save the crown, but aslo because she was one of the few who supported Felipe when he decided to marry her.

Exactly. To state that Sofia a troublemaker, as another forum member has done, is absurd. If Sofia wanted to cause trouble she had plenty of opportunity to do so, long before April 1, 2018, and long before Letizia arrived on the scene.

First, one must understand that Spain like France Portugal Italy is latin country with its codes. It is what it is and it is a conservative patriarchal country where the respect of the elder is paramount. [...]

Welcome alvinking! :flowers:

I know well all the countries you mentioned except Portugal and I have to admit that what you say is true but less and less so. Believe me, grandparents nowadays are mostly "used" as babysitters and providers of privileges that younger generations don't have anymore (real estate, good pensions, etc.). It's a sad state of affairs. Rudeness and condescension have replaced respect and support of the elders. :sad:

I suspect the tension between the two Queens at the Easter Mass was partly due to Cristina's expected presence at the anniversary Mass. Sofia won that battle and Letizia wasn't happy. Then throw in Sofia's own unhappiness at not being allowed to see her granddaughters as often as she'd like, while Letizia's own mother can. That must explain her frustration when Letizia stepped in to block the photograph.

The pot was already boiling before the disagreement over the photograph took place.

Why? Cristina showing up at the Anniversary mass is no surprise, it's her grandfather after all, a man Letizia has never met.
And where will people draw the line? What happens when JC and Sofia pass, will there be a controversy about Cristina attending the funerals? People should move on from this discussion, Cristina remains a member of this family, a fact that won't go away, no need to constantly quarrel about that.

If Letizia is really a "progressive" then she should advocate the end of the monarchy. It is as simple as that.

Doña Sofía has no "cold blood". In her 40 years as Queen of Spain she has shown a heart, commitment, empathy and an immense sense of duty.

Note that in Belgium the King refused to sign the Abortion Act. Note that in Luxembourg the Grand-Duke refused to sign the Euthanasia Act. In Spain Doña Sofía ventilated carefully worded opinions and yes, you know: she can do that because she is a citzen of Spain. She is not the head of state. She has no role in Government. She has a total different position than the named monarchs on the throne.

Franco's Spain was a patriarchal and conservative society... and the generational change is not over yet, but today's society is very different.

There are Spanish regions, especially in the north, where traditionally matriarchy has been strong. Spaniards have the surname of the father and the mother, and now they can be placed in the order you want.

Last Women's Day, Spain celebrated the largest gatherings in support of women in Europe. Universities have many more women than men.

Spaniards are mostly social Catholics, by tradition, by cultural customs ... but fewer and fewer are habitual practitioners.

So the topics are not real, or at least do not correspond to the current reality.

Even historically the Spanish monarchy did not leave the woman aside ...

The laws of the Crown of Castile allowed women to reign and so Isabel the Catholic reigned and then her daughter Juana reigned.

The Salic Law that forbade reigning women was introduced by the Bourbon dynasty, of French origin.

Later the law was changed so that Isabel II reigned, and her husband had the title of King.

The current Spanish Constitution says that the husband of the queen will be prince consort ... and that is because they copied from the other European monarchies, instead of following the Spanish tradition.

One theory I've seen floated around other places is that prior to the photo-op the infantas were shaking hands with well wishers outside, and that Sofia Sr. made them to leave abruptly so the photo could be taken. That would explain why Letizia passed in front of them, in order to shake hands with those who were "jilted" (for lack of a better term) by the infantas in favor of the photo-op

In that case, it might be that Sofia Sr. and Letizia had very different ideas as to what was the best use of the girls' time. While Sofia wanted them to take pictures, Letizia possibly thought it should have waited until the girls finished shaking hands. While it doesn't excuse these women's behavior, I think both women believed their focus (whether it be photos or shaking hands) was best for the girls/appearance.

I agree, the "girls" were shaking hands and talking to people on the side-line.
What I see is that Sophia notices the photographer and grabs out for the kids. I think she used the kids to get a good picture. Why doesn't she act like the "past" queen and not the current?

Duc, Queen Sofía fulfilled her institutional role as Queen, as someone who was educated from the cradle for it ... but outside of her official life, she has had little contact with Spanish society.

For years the legend spread that she lived in London, because people only saw her in official acts. In Madrid she lives very close inside Zarzuela, only in Mallorca she does a little more social life.

You can find many comments from people who find Juan Carlos in a restaurant, or Felipe and Letizia in the movies, or Letizia buying... but it's very strange to find news like that about Sofia.

I agree with everything you have said esp the last paragraph. I have had this problem with the younger royals in the British monarchy.

Lula. Thank you for your personal Spanish viewpoint. I always enjoy a citizen's interpretation of events of the subject country. You are right there and it can affect your personal life at some point. Not being Spanish, these event will never affect me personally or take food from my table or money from my investments but strangely it interests me as I am a mother, grandmother and close to being a great grandmother. Believe me this strong difference of opinion is in all countries now. I have seen exactly what it has done between my children and grandchildren as all have vastly different opinions on just about every subject [even their same religion] so I am extremely glad that I live half way across the country from them all. Since I only get to see them probably a week yearly they are all on best behavior and just a huge fun time. I feel sorry for some families [royals across the world included] that are going thru this and not understanding each other's minds or mentally mocking each other. Way back in my day we did mostly what parents told us to do in religion, politics, views, and didn't talk back or question. Not so today and whether right or wrong it is the way it is. I actually don't mind at all as I enjoy getting the texts from grandchildren in their mid 20s asking my opinion even though answer not what they always want to hear. But I would never accept disrespect of any kind especially in public. They know and respect my rules on that subject. Shame this nonsense happened with royals in Spain in public. Wrong. Probably more to story that was a prelude to this small scene which we don't know about, but as royals a stop should be made clear that never again in public. Disagreement iron out in private. Disrespect on either side is not acceptable ever. JMHO

Franco's Spain was a patriarchal and conservative society... and the generational change is not over yet, but today's society is very different.

There are Spanish regions, especially in the north, where traditionally matriarchy has been strong. Spaniards have the surname of the father and the mother, and now they can be placed in the order you want.

Last Women's Day, Spain celebrated the largest gatherings in support of women in Europe. Universities have many more women than men.

Spaniards are mostly social Catholics, by tradition, by cultural customs ... but fewer and fewer are habitual practitioners.

So the topics are not real, or at least do not correspond to the current reality.

Even historically the Spanish monarchy did not leave the woman aside ...

The laws of the Crown of Castile allowed women to reign and so Isabel the Catholic reigned and then her daughter Juana reigned.

The Salic Law that forbade reigning women was introduced by the Bourbon dynasty, of French origin.

Later the law was changed so that Isabel II reigned, and her husband had the title of King.

The current Spanish Constitution says that the husband of the queen will be prince consort ... and that is because they copied from the other European monarchies, instead of following the Spanish tradition.

Very informative, Lula, thank you.

If Letizia is really a "progressive" then she should advocate the end of the monarchy. It is as simple as that.

Apparently, that was her position before she became Princess of Asturias, which makes her sound fake and opportunistic by joining an institution she didn't believe in.

Doña Sofía has no "cold blood". In her 40 years as Queen of Spain she has shown a heart, commitment, empathy and an immense sense of duty.

Note that in Belgium the King refused to sign the Abortion Act. Note that in Luxembourg the Grand-Duke refused to sign the Euthanasia Act. In Spain Doña Sofía ventilated carefully worded opinions and yes, you know: she can do that because she is a citzen of Spain. She is not the head of state. She has no role in Government. She has a total different position than the named monarchs on the throne.
I agree. Although I see no problem in abortions in the first trimester (when it is legal in Spain to do it), I understand that many people with strong religious beliefs take the position that human life starts at conception and have a strong opinion against abortion at any time. Queen Sofía in that respect is no different from King Baudouin, or Queen Fabiola, or Grand Duke Henri. An important difference though is that King Juan Carlos never let his personal beliefs interfere with his constitutional obligation to sanction laws passed by the Spanish parliament, not least because he is not personally nor legally responsible for those acts. About that difference, he even famously remarked: " I am the King of Spain, not of Belgium", when he endorsed same-sex marriage.

Last edited:
Welcome alvinking! :flowers:

I know well all the countries you mentioned except Portugal and I have to admit that what you say is true but less and less so. Believe me, grandparents nowadays are mostly "used" as babysitters and providers of privileges that younger generations don't have anymore (real estate, good pensions, etc.). It's a sad state of affairs. Rudeness and condescension have replaced respect and support of the elders. :sad:

Also the Older generation who has the years under their belt so to speak and know better should do the same for the younger generation. It goes both ways if you want an honest relationship with each other.

Seriously I think there are many factors to this family and now things have boiled over, from reading here and elsewhere it seems that Letizia has put her foot down in regards to Cristina and Inaki in wanting them close to the throne. I don't blame her, yet *the royal family of Juan Carlos IMHO wants to give them a pass and let by gones be just that, so they steal, they are family and we always let family do as it pleases*, just take a look at Juan Carlos and all his shenanigans as an example. The royal family of Juan Carlos will *Never* forgive Letizia for that, for making Cristiana and Inaki now outsiders with no royal perks to their name, they are out for her blood and Queen Sofia is the leader of the pack. No doubt in my mind that this is coming to fruit as Inaki will soon be going to prison and I bet everyone will blame Letizia for what he did......Juan Carlos's family is corrupt and without shame for they put themselves above everyone else in Spain and I think Felipe/Letizia are working to bring Spain out the of dark ages into the world of today.

Letizia will not crumble under this for she is one very strong tough lady and in keeping Cristian and Inaki from Felipe's family ensure that her daughter will inherit the throne without criminals behind it.

Back
Top Bottom