Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's think, Queen Sofia wants a pic with Leonor and Sofia, but they can take it on Marivent, the pic will be more beautiful, only the three and the landscape with Mediterranean See or the palace in the background, not people, people and more people between the public, security team. I believe Letizia didn't notice the photographer, why she was going to boicot a pic of grandma and grandchildren, that makes not sense, Letizia is greeting people at left and right even the woman who is greeating little Sofia and Queen Sofia interrupted. If Letizia said something I think it was to Leonor due to her behaviour with Queen Sofia, for me she is not looking to her mother in law, she was looking to Leonor, maybe she was tired, or overwhelmed, she is 12 years old for good sake, she is still a girl not an adolescent, she is at the doors to the most complicated years of ther life, she is growing up, losing her infant innocence, now we want to see these girls more often? with the destructive press we have in Spain, Sofia has 10 until the end of this month. Seriously, you must to live in Spain to understand all of this, one thing it's to see everthing from outside, but the other is to see this from inside. Press in Spain has not shame, they would sell their own mother, father, siblings if this brings a huge economic benefits.

Whatever who orchestrate all this ... we have to congratule him, her or them, people didn't talk of Cristina's stellar visit to Spain and hubby, or Catalonia problems. Well played, press.

It's been widely reported that Letizia is not allowing Sofía to visit her granddaughters as much as she would like so maybe this was a chance to take said pic since she wouldn't be able to do so later?

If Letizia was protecting her kids it backfired into terrible publicity for Leonor. it would have been best to allow the photo. It will take some work to repair the "brat" image.

If Letizia was protecting her kids it backfired into terrible publicity for Leonor. it would have been best to allow the photo. It will take some work to repair the "brat" image.

The one taking the brunt of it is Letizia, thing is it might be bad for Leonor by extension, quite sad if you ask me since the girl has nothing to do with this.

The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía should not be blamed for anything in relation to this event.

If anything, Infanta Leonor appears to have been trying to extricate herself from the altercation between her mother and grandmother, being fully aware (at a terribly young age) that there are always eyes watching the family...and she is right. Notice how she is smiling throughout and does not bat an eyelash while it is taking place, even though she is clearly trying to get out of the frame of the seemingly unpleasant situation. Seconds later, she is happily embracing her grandmother for a brief moment again before the family recomposes for a final photograph outside the church.

The young infantas are not in the wrong here.

Based on the continued commentary regarding the Princess of Asturias, I simply wanted to bump my own comment (I know, I know).

Regardless of what the press may say, or uninformed commentators on Twitter or elsewhere on the Internet, the infantas emerge from this looking like the most down-to-earth and regal of the entire bunch. They are children, yet they show themselves to be professionals when it comes to being in the spotlight. The Spanish monarchy is fragile, which Juan Carlos and Sofía as well as Felipe and Letizia well know. Yet, none of the adults were able to handle this situation in such a way as to prevent it from emerging as a PR disaster that has reached overblown proportions. The Princess and Infanta Sofía were the only two members of the family who behaved in an admirable way - particularly when we consider how very young they are.

It is no secret that relations between doña Letizia and doña Sofía have deteriorated since the birth of the infantas. This is most unfortunate, as it was Queen Sofía who decided to take the lead and guide Letizia when the latter entered the family. Neither of Felipe's parents were fond of his ultimate choice of spouse, yet it was Sofía, not Juan Carlos (who was never the present parent that his wife was), who made an effort to insure that Letizia was given the support to join the royal house. Queen Letizia cannot be faulted for wanting to show that she is now the queen consort of Spain. She has never been accepted by the Spanish aristocracy, and it is clear that even royal relations of her husband are not too keen on her. At the same time, she has been a strong support for her husband and she clearly cares greatly for their daughters.

In this way, she is similar to Sofía, who adored her children and particularly focused her energies on guarantying that don Felipe would be prepared to serve his country when his time to be King arrived. No one can say that she did a bad job there. If anything, Sofía's major fault is putting her fondness for her family (i.e. her children and grandchildren, since her marriage was arranged and she could only but make the best of it, which she has) above the public perception of her family's actions (i.e. mainly the actions of Infanta Cristina and Iñaki, as King Felipe and Infanta Elena have rarely put a foot wrong).

Hopefully, for the benefit of the children, this public relations fiasco passes soon. Queen Sofía is understandably going to carry the sympathy of the majority of onlookers in this, due to all that she has endured over the course of her life. Yet, I believe very much that doña Sofía would rather this story disappear ASAP, as she cares deeply about the future and legacy of her son (and ergo, his wife) and her granddaughters.

One theory I've seen floated around other places is that prior to the photo-op the infantas were shaking hands with well wishers outside, and that Sofia Sr. made them to leave abruptly so the photo could be taken. That would explain why Letizia passed in front of them, in order to shake hands with those who were "jilted" (for lack of a better term) by the infantas in favor of the photo-op

In that case, it might be that Sofia Sr. and Letizia had very different ideas as to what was the best use of the girls' time. While Sofia wanted them to take pictures, Letizia possibly thought it should have waited until the girls finished shaking hands. While it doesn't excuse these women's behavior, I think both women believed their focus (whether it be photos or shaking hands) was best for the girls/appearance.

All of this is speculation. We will never know why this happened and who may be to blame (maybe more than one person) as we don't know either the context or the backstory.

And we can come up with dozens of scenarios that explain all of it - but will never know which, if any is correct. And all the time we are smearing all of this poor family.

I'd ask what good any/all of our speculation is doing? I really do believe all parties regret that this was played out publicly. Let's give them some space. It would be a very religiously guided thing to do about a happening at a religious celebration. To move on, much less forgive, is divine.

Whoa. People are seriously asking for the King to divorce ? For .... this ?

Please. Strained relationships between mother-in-laws and daughter-in-laws are probably as old as the world.

Some people are really out of touch with reality, imo. Half the couples I know would be going to divorce court this moment if a bad relationship with in-laws was the only criteria.

The important question here is : Cui bono? :whistling:

Let’s think, which controversial event is on the horizon:question:
Oh, yes:idea: Iñaki is going to jail.

Panem et circenses

Both women have put the king and Infanta Leonor in an awful position.

I feel that Felipe and Leonor should now be seen in public more, to show the King and his heir are a united front and that squabbling mamas don’t affect them. Something fun and normal, like that football game they attended or visiting a children’ event of some sort.
Good for the public image and good for Leonor’s future job training.

I am frankly shocked at the lengths people go to to vilify Queen Letizia who has been a dedicated, hard working and steady Princess and now Queen. She has faced so much crap from the family and the media including people blaming her for her sister's death and accusing her of abusing or manipulating her children, on this board even!

It is a sad commentary on the virulent sexism and classicism that still rules so much of the media and public.

This was an unfortunate incident, however you want to lay blame. But the way its been blown out is ridiculous.

I was happy to see Letizia continued her duties today with her head held high.

Last edited:
All of this is speculation. We will never know why this happened and who may be to blame (maybe more than one person) as we don't know either the context or the backstory.

And we can come up with dozens of scenarios that explain all of it - but will never know which, if any is correct. And all the time we are smearing all of this poor family.

I'd ask what good any/all of our speculation is doing? I really do believe all parties regret that this was played out publicly. Let's give them some space. It would be a very religiously guided thing to do about a happening at a religious celebration. To move on, much less forgive, is divine.
This is a great post! It was unfortunate but things sometimes happen. We don't know the actual circumstances so we shouldn't judge based on guessing. Or personal bias.

Well now some people know Spain has a monarchy lol.

LMAO, some people (specially Americans, don't ask me why but that's my experience) think that Spain is in Latin America and that we all look like Penélope Cruz :ermm: :D

So yeah, it might be surprising for them to know that we do have a monarchy :cool:

LMAO, some people (specially Americans, don't ask me why but that's my experience) think that Spain is in Latin America and that we all look like Penélope Cruz :ermm: :D

So yeah, it might be surprising for them to know that we do have a monarchy :cool:

Well now those who didn't know there was a monarchy now has a bad image in mind.

Well now those who didn't know there was a monarchy now has a bad image in mind.

IMO the 'bad image' (if any) is solely to do with the venomous reactions of the Spanish public to a very private family squabble. That's the surprise and shock. :sad: The way the Spanish are going after the royals regarding this 'incident' is what is shameful.

The more egregious financial scandal and imprisonment (as mentioned) is what is more significant (though where in the world is such not happening)? This petty stuff: nothing. No one cares, not really. It's theatre. Amuses for an eye blink. Then gone. A curiosity. JMO of course.

Last edited:
I have watched videos from different angles and I must say that the young princess behaved perfectly. At no point was Leonor a "brat" or misbehaved.

Leonor found herself in a tense situation and I love that she tried to get away from the adults and continued to smile. That is royal behaviour and shows she was aware of where they were and of the fact that the adults were misbehaving:ROFLMAO:?:whistling::whistling:

The two queens on the other had were acting like misbehaved children. Both of them we equally wrong, not just with them being queens but as grandmother & mother. How dare they put the girls in the middle of whatever is going on.

I saw one post on this thread about how it seems like this whole incident is more like the public was "walking into something". That is, this incidence is a continuation of something we didnt see.
I have to fully agree with them based on the 2 queens behaviour. They were both acting strange from the "start" of the incident.
1. Didnt like the was Queen Sofia grabed Infanta Sofia for the pic. The little girl was in the midde of a handshake and she was pulled away. Queen S should have simply called her over or tapped her.
2. Letizia pacing in front of the camera then moving towards them was just odd. What was she doing.

3.Then when they both started pulling and grabbing Princess Leonor was the worst.
It seemed like more was going on, some unfinished business that spilles inot the public domain.

At the end of the day though, the little girls were truelly amazing and reacted with dignity & grace

Last edited:

A lot of funny stuff on twitter as well, all the situations that Letizia could be blocking.
Most funny is the epic scene of Juan Carlos, changed to 'Por qué ne te quitas?'
https://www.elplural.com/sociedad/2018/04/04/mejores-memes-reina-letizia-sofia-polemico-video
https://verne.elpais.com/verne/2018/04/04/articulo/1522828342_375373.html
http://www.elmundo.es/f5/comparte/2018/04/04/5ac4716fca4741343a8b4599.html

After MC, another family member, Álvaro de Marichalar, Jaimes brother and ex BIL of Infanta Elena, is coming forward joining #teamsofia:
"Letizia is a bad consort, because she wants to be the protagonist"

https://www.semana.es/alvaro-marich...te-quiere-la-protagonista-20180405-001217034/
https://translate.google.com/transl...a-protagonista-20180405-001217034/&edit-text=

Last edited:
[...]

But I don't understand why queen Sofia wanted to especially pose for photos with her granddaughters inside the church.

[...]

This was not inside the church but outside, in the church portal.

[...]

To me it looks that she was seeking attention. If she so badly wanted to have a photo with her granddaughters, it could have been taken at home, not at the church.

[...]

Trust me. Doña Sofía gets attention. With or without grandchildren. The point was that the royal family did attend Easter Mass (with Don Juan Carlos also attending, for the first time in years) and the official photographer wanted to picture them leaving the cathedral. Doña Sofía saw the photographer and only wanted to accomodate this.

And Letizia sabotaged this. And this silly act did cost her dearly.

Last edited:
:previous:HighnessN
I find it extremely sad how the people of Spain and some here are crucifying Letizia over this, what next can they blame her for......oh, the fact that Inaki is going to prison for stealing is what, now her fault also.

It has gotten ridiculous that some are so mean spirited and hateful to her over what, caring for her daughter. If anyone would ever put their arm around the neck of a daughter of mine that looked uncomfortable to her, you better believe I would have my say. Queen Sofia over the years now has always done this and just maybe Queen Letizia got fed up with her behavior. You can always take pictures anywhere, in your home, in the garden, at a school event, yet this had to be done in public for everyone to see how great a grandmother she is, all about her as a Queen not about the children, all about her image and nothing else.

A lot of funny stuff on twitter as well, all the situations that Letizia could be blocking.
Most funny is the epic scene of Juan Carlos, changed to 'Por qué ne te quitas?'
https://www.elplural.com/sociedad/2018/04/04/mejores-memes-reina-letizia-sofia-polemico-video
https://verne.elpais.com/verne/2018/04/04/articulo/1522828342_375373.html
Los memes de la pelea de Reinas: Letizia se pone en modo Lannister | Comparte

After MC, another family member, Álvaro de Marichalar, Jaimes brother and ex BIL of Infanta Elena, is coming forward joining #teamsofia:
"Letizia is a bad consort, because she wants to be the protagonist"

https://www.semana.es/alvaro-marich...te-quiere-la-protagonista-20180405-001217034/
https://translate.google.com/transl...a-protagonista-20180405-001217034/&edit-text=

For how long did that man babble away?
He's giving a bl**dy speech!

Who does he think he's helping here? Certainly not his family, not his king nor his country either!
King Felipe seriously needs to get the message out telling people to keep quiet. It's really not difficult, just keep the lips firmly together.

Unfortunately it's confirmation of a very deep family rift. It's obvious that at least half of the entire extended royal family positive loathe Queen Letizia.
So it's IMO a wonder they didn't pull each other's hair out while they were at it!

King Felipe must put his foot down now and firmly and decisively put an end to this. Preferably yesterday! By all means necessary.
Because this is no longer an embarrassment not even a farce, it's turning into a tragedy seen from my detached view point. Otherwise it will very soon spiral totally out of his control.

Right now hundreds of tabloid and gossip magazine editors are on their knees thanking whatever demons they worship. There is material here for years of articles if this doesn't end now!

Doña Leonor is just a school kid! Let her have an undisturbed school time.
:ohmy:

She's seen 3 times a year (Easter Mass, Palma in the summer and National Day in October) plus a Xmas card picture.

One could argue that this is enough but a lot of critizism stems from the way these shoots are done.
Duc et Pair, you love to compare to the Dutch, who might not show CA more often but the way is far more relaxed. In Spain, you can feel the tension that at least mother and daughters don't want to be there, Letizia permanently guiding and fiddling on the girls, stroking their hair, dresses, holding their hands etc, it seems very stressful and annoying while such a shoot needs to be relaxed. There is so much passive-aggressive control in these situations, very often Letizia kind of blocking pictures during she shoot by moving her hands/fiddling with hair that the press gets frustrated. The body language is 'us against them' and this is not a good way to work with the press. Nobody wants the girls to be paraded around, of course they are school girls but the overcontrolled/choreographed atmosphere is blamed on Letizia.

You can see at the end when the family leaves the church Leonor is totally confused what to do, going to her father wanting his hand but he is distracted by JC, sorry these girls are 10 and 12, they have no idea how to move freely and withouth adult assistance.

Felipe gave the highest order to Leonor, of course expectations are higher now.

Doña Leonor is just a school kid! Let her have an undisturbed school time.
:ohmy:

Too late. Her public image has been tarnished by this as well, - just because two adults can't restrain themselves.
In order to build that up again she has to get out - otherwise there is, I fear, a genuine risk of her being labelled "her mother's daughter"

What is the word on the street in Spain today?
Is Leonor still getting serious heat?

JC' sisters have been hackled by the press, Margarita in a wheelchair, looking very frail, called everything 'muy mal' while Pilar declined to comment.

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...a-declaraciones-video-polemico-reina-letizia/

Infanta Margarita is BLIND, to ask her opinion is nonsense. :eek:

The church was full of cell phones, and as the videos appear, the story changes. Here you can see that Leonor's reaction is because her grandmother tries to push her mother away with her hand.

http://i64.tinypic.com/egcpol.jpg

In this video, you can see how Leonor is who calls her mother, and that they are calm until Sofia moves her hand to push Letizia away.

For how long did that man babble away?
He's giving a bl**dy speech!

Who does he think he's helping here? Certainly not his family, not his king nor his country either!
King Felipe seriously needs to get the message out telling people to keep quiet. It's really not difficult, just keep the lips firmly together.

Unfortunately it's confirmation of a very deep family rift. It's obvious that at least half of the entire extended royal family positive loathe Queen Letizia.
So it's IMO a wonder they didn't pull each other's hair out while they were at it!

King Felipe must put his foot down now and firmly and decisively put an end to this. Preferably yesterday! By all means necessary.
Because this is no longer an embarrassment not even a farce, it's turning into a tragedy seen from my detached view point. Otherwise it will very soon spiral totally out of his control.

Right now hundreds of tabloid and gossip magazine editors are on their knees thanking whatever demons they worship. There is material here for years of articles if this doesn't end now!

And some of her own family hate her as well, one can't help but wonder what is it about her that rubs everyone the wrong way :ermm:

Everytime Felipe wants to be with his own family has to be without her, Pavlos' b-day was the perfect example and she doesn't have a close relationship with other queens/princesses either (most of them are at least in friendly terms, are godmother to each other's children, etc).

Last edited:
NO, they were not EQUALLY wrong. Trying to stir it that way is beyond ridiculous.

I found this explained by fraction, I still see Leonor pushing away both hands and and angry exchange between the Queens.
https://martinovejero.com/2018/04/04/la-familia-real-discordia-o-concordia/
Leonor is clearly overstrained and both Queens, one pushing for a photo and one fiddling with the hair, don't help in this situation.
Felipe and JC both astonished.
The family dynamics must be very bad at home, certainly not the first time Felipe is caught between his wife and mother. But until now, they managed to kept it under wraps and acted in a friendly manner in public.

Back
Top Bottom