Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[....]

Why an earth queen Sofia wanted a photo taken at a church? [...]

Because for the official (!) photographer that day's event to capture was:
"The royal family attends Easter Mass in the cathedral of Palma"?

Yes there were photos of the Royal Family seated inside the cathedral before Mass and we always get photos of them outside the main entrance before and after Easter Mass .

Sooo...after reading all the pages on this incident...does anyone have a clue how this can be "fixed"?
Even if maybe both queens did things they could (should) have done differently, ik seems that for the Spanish people many blame Q.Letizia; so what would be her best advised next move:
- ignore and hope everything in time blows over
- make a joke about it (with herself as the joked-about) (this would be the way had it been in the Netherlands, but i'm not sure it'll work in Spain)
- issue a public apology to Q.Sofia
- wait for Q.Sofia to make the first move
- ...something else...

?

Yes there were photos of the Royal Family seated inside the cathedral before Mass and we always get photos of them outside the main entrance before and after Easter Mass .

Perhaps it would be better if there would be no photographer (also none from the Royal House) inside and no Cameras allowed inside. In the Uk and Denmark we never get photos from inside when the Royal there attend Church at Chritmas or Easter.

Nothing that would make it obvious they are trying to gain a better image.

Just a picture of gran Sofía with these two granddaughters is ok. Then the little stir in the royal tea is over.

I don't speak Spanish and have no idea if this credible but...someone claims to have lip read Felipe telling Letizia to stop. Perhaps one of our Spanish members can confirm or deny this?

they apparently got a lip reader to know what felipe told the ladies. he first addressed letizia with a 'please, let it go', then he addressed his mum saying 'let it go now'.

then:

JC: "felipe, felipe, come for a second."
felipe: "not now, not now... it is not the right moment. you understand that, right?"

some moments afterwards...

queen sofia: "oh well, there is nothing to do."

Now, there is a new version that Letizia was concerned that it would be disrespectful to take a picture inside the church, as if Letizia, who has never struck me as a particularly religious person, would care about that. Besides, even if that were true, why did Letizia try again to prevent Sofia from taking the picture with the girls outside the cathedral , which would be an appropriate venue ?

religious? this is EASTER MASS, easter is a joyous time of renewal and one of pardoning others for their sins and for forgiveness, and all we see from letizia is anything but that. she just shows up because she has to. she admitted before marrying being agnostic.

Last edited:
Please. It's the internet. This will never fully go away anymore and will likely follow them for a long time to come.

Perhaps it would be better if there would be no photographer (also none from the Royal House) inside and no Cameras allowed inside. In the Uk and Denmark we never get photos from inside when the Royal there attend Church at Chritmas or Easter.

The massive cathedral in the middle of Palma is hard to compare with Crathie Church or so...

Sooo...after reading all the pages on this incident...does anyone have a clue how this can be "fixed"?
Even if maybe both queens did things they could (should) have done differently, ik seems that for the Spanish people many blame Q.Letizia; so what would be her best advised next move:
- ignore and hope everything in time blows over
- make a joke about it (with herself as the joked-about) (this would be the way had it been in the Netherlands, but i'm not sure it'll work in Spain)
- issue a public apology to Q.Sofia
- wait for Q.Sofia to make the first move
- ...something else...

?

The Queens should IMO do nothing. No comments, just move on and keep working. In a few weeks this will have died down enough for the day-to-day life to continue.
One thing they should not do, is to pretend they are friends. That will fool no one and seem hypocritical.
The damage has been done.

If they have to comment at all, be honest: "Yes, we had a disagreement. Happens in all families and now we've moved on. End of story." No more, no less. And ask their various family members and friends to shut up!

Focus more on the daughters, give them opportunity to get some good PR. And don't have their mother or grandmother hover over them all the time. The girls are big enough to be with another adult, their father, aunt, grandfather, even though he's fragile.

Not 'cold' exactly [except where her Daughter-in-law is concerned], but 'manipulative' ? CERTAINLY and I would say HIGHLY manipulative [of her grand-children, and of her 'public image']..She is not a daughter of Queen Frederika 'for nothing' !

could you expand on this?

I will say, watching the different "angles", I don't think Letizia was purposefully blocking anything at first. She walked to shake hands with someone, was going to return to where she came from, spotted her daughter and went to talk, and things escalated. Perhaps it was a major miscommunication, and Sofia snapped thinking she was doing something maliciously. But Letizia's body language and wavering steps, don't initially look defensive, not until Q Sofia moves so abruptly to the side and Lenore brushes them off, does Letizia look at all defensive or upset. Her shoulders square and raise after the first scuffle move.

for felipe to interrupt, i think there must have been a problem. we know he is usually calm and collected.

Agreed. Sofia seems to forget she is not the reigning Queen and, especially in public, Letizia takes precedence. If Sofia hadn't reacted like a caged dog, this wouldn't have been a headline. The reason this is a headline and a shitstorm in the first place is mostly on her.

a caged dog? all i see is her wanting a picture and then letting go of the girls when she wasn't allowed a picture, when felipe interrupted and letizia would not approve of something so minimal as taking a private picture with her grand-daughters. to say she acted like a caged dog is an exageration.

Last edited:
Can anyone explain to me why after Leonor already pushed her arm away once, Sofia doubles down and basically puts her granddaughter in a choke hold?

To me it’s Sofía who has a motive, not Letizia. Parents, not grandparents make the rules for their children.

After Letizia and Sofía exchange ‘looks’ , Sofia wants to continue the ‘confrontation’.

With all due respect, to me it seems Sofía is the one with issues, not Letizia.

Now after I read the whole thread, I am shocked with Letezia fans who said that
Letzia was trying to protect her daughters ,protect them from what for God sake?!
Taking photos with their granny by the royal photographer?! even if Letezia right she could have just asked not to publish the photo and then spoke privately about that with queen Sofia ,what she done was vulgar, childish and irresponsible.

This, the storm was her fault for getting in the way, just let Sofía take ONE picture with her granddaughters, what's the harm on that? 1 minute max :ermm:

Because for the official (!) photographer that day's event to capture was:
"The royal family attends Easter Mass in the cathedral of Palma"?

Yes, the photographer took photos of the family attending at the Mass. There was a photo taken before the Mass started of the family at the church. Usually the court wants to publish photos of the royal family socializing with people, like those photos taken when they left the Mass. But I don't understand why queen Sofia wanted to especially pose for photos with her granddaughters inside the church. To me it looks that she was seeking attention. If she so badly wanted to have a photo with her granddaughters, it could have been taken at home, not at the church.

Oh, for goodness' sake, I can't believe this all over a family squabble.

Every family fights. Royal or not. Clearly, a lot of what has happened isn't isolated incident. I don't think the poor relations between in-laws just all of sudden happened in one day. As long as they are carrying out their duties, who cares. Let them work it out, or not, themselves.

:previous:Lee-Z:

Excellent question and one thing I think should happen is that Queen Sofia needs to be told that her behavior was manipulative and uncalled for and that she has no place in the decisions of her grandchildren. She had her time on the throne, she raised her children and time to let go and move on so that Felipe and Letizia can take the lead in the monarchy.

I think it is *very difficult* for retired monarchs to do just that, retire for that means they are no longer in the spotlight and that not everything is about them now. They had their chance and did what they could, Sofia is IMHO really having a hard time not being the center of attention anymore. To me it always look *fake* with all the pictures of her and grandchildren as if saying *we are a perfect happy family* yet is just saving face it seems to me. She came from a different time and place and has not grown with that as we all know things change in life and she hasn't.

Letizia has built a strong defense all because of the junk being thrown at her from day 1, the media and the trolls, her in/laws and her own family have attacked her almost on a daily basis for they are filled with hate, gossip and anger and jealousy that she is there. I don't blame her for being this way for if not, she would of crumbled long ago and didn't. So she is not the cherries royal lady out there....I say put yourself in her shoes and see how any of us would deal with what she is dealing with.?

Methinks Letizia is made of sterner stuff, and by the same token so is Leonor, and Felipe. Lots of strong, passionate personalities in that family. Leonor is likely to inherit some of that. Watching her adolescence unfold shall be interesting. Fasten your seatbelts, its going to be a bumpy ride! :flowers:

i doubt so. kids of mothers with dominant personalities generally adopt a more subdued, calmer personality. there's just simply not enough room for both the mother and the daughter to be 'passionate' as you put it. given there are two kids in this family, maybe one will be like letizia, but i think one (maybe leonor being the eldest) will adopt a calmer, conciliating behaviour - a bit like felipe's.

This is getting absolutely grotesque.

A few seconds of irritation between mother-in-law and daughter-in-law and people are asking for a divorce and even booing the Queen. It seems both ladies could have behaved better in public, but who knows what is the underlying cause of this scene.

It is the first time in 14 years that Queen Letizia has set a foot wrong. She is the hardest working Queen-consort of the moment. She and her husband were able to distance themselves from real scandals of relatives & the monarchy is stronger for it. Would it be better if she had not participated as she did in this public display? IMHO yes. But it certainly is not worth all the attention it is getting. It seems that people have been waiting for this opportunity; and now the knives are out. And for such a trifle.

It’s not even close to the first time Letizia has set a foot wrong. She got off on the wrong foot with a lot of people with the engagement interview when she told the then Prince to let her finish speaking. Whether she was in the right or not - endlessly debateable - doesn’t matter. It didn’t look good.

It’s not even the first time she’s been publicly rude to Queen Sofia. There was a reception in Palma last summer, (maybe the summer before?) where Letizia very quickly and perfunctorily greeted the friendly crowd waiting - Felipe took twice as long to greet the same group of people - and then stalked past Sofia and the officials waiting at the entrance without looking at or speaking to any of them. This after Sofia made a point of ensuring Letizia was greeted before she was when they first arrived.

She snapped at a reporter who dared to ask Leonor a question last summer after the family visited a museum. What was the question? Something on the lines of, “did you enjoy your visit?”

She refused to spend more than five minutes greeting the gathered press at Marivent last summer and when Felipe seemed to suggest the family go down to - I’m guessing - at least say good bye to the gathered press, she refused. It’s beem suggested on here that her refusal to give even a little with the press is some sort of badge of honour and the mark of a strong character. Maybe, but if that’s the attitude you’re going to take you better make sure you never mess up, even a little, because they will then crucify you and make sure the incident is never, ever forgotten. As we’re seeing here.

And that’s just from the last year or two and doesn’t include the sometimes blatantly inappropriate fashion choices along with other appearance related issues that are off limits on this forum but which I think have very much shaped the image many people have of her as vain and superficial. It also doesn’t include the many, many, many rumours and stories out there of how she’s treated everyone from household staff, to other parents at her children’s school, to her own husband’s family members. If even 90 percent of the stories are untrue that still leaves a significant number of very unflattering truths.

I agree, the glee so many people are taking in Letizia’s public humiliation is grotesque - no one should be so publicly stoned, no matter what they’ve done. But the fact that the reaction has been so vehement should prompt some self evaluation on Letizia’s part regarding how things got to this point. Some of it may be jealousy or sexism or all the other excuses we’ve heard so often. But at least some of it is her own behaviour and if she does indeed have a truly strong character she’ll face up to that and adjust accordingly, for her own sake but, really, at this point, more for the sake of her daughter.

This, the storm was her fault for getting in the way, just let Sofía take ONE picture with her granddaughters, what's the harm on that? 1 minute max :ermm:

I think you are looking at this as isolated incident, but with families, it's NEVER isolated. I'm sure Queen Sofia's tendency to use her grandchildren for her image isn't helping mattes, and perhaps Letizia is upset at her in-laws for some of the things that's transpired over the years. It might not be the best thing or the most mature or the most adult thing she has done, but so what, we've all had those moments.

I think you are looking at this as isolated incident, but with families, it's NEVER isolated. I'm sure Queen Sofia's tendency to use her grandchildren for her image isn't helping mattes, and perhaps Letizia is upset at her in-laws for some of the things that's transpired over the years. It might not be the best thing or the most mature or the most adult thing she has done, but so what, we've all had those moments.

Yes, but none of us is a Queen of a country.

The Queens should IMO do nothing. No comments, just move on and keep working. In a few weeks this will have died down enough for the day-to-day life to continue.
One thing they should not do, is to pretend they are friends. That will fool no one and seem hypocritical.
The damage has been done.

If they have to comment at all, be honest: "Yes, we had a disagreement. Happens in all families and now we've moved on. End of story." No more, no less. And ask their various family members and friends to shut up!

Focus more on the daughters, give them opportunity to get some good PR. And don't have their mother or grandmother hover over them all the time. The girls are big enough to be with another adult, their father, aunt, grandfather, even though he's fragile.

THAT would be the right thing to do but it would not be accepted in Spain. It's a cultural thing I guess.

It’s not even close to the first time Letizia has set a foot wrong. She got off on the wrong foot with a lot of people with the engagement interview when she told the then Prince to let her finish speaking. Whether she was in the right or not - endlessly debateable - doesn’t matter. It didn’t look good.

It’s not even the first time she’s been publicly rude to Queen Sofia. There was a reception in Palma last summer, (maybe the summer before?) where Letizia very quickly and perfunctorily greeted the friendly crowd waiting - Felipe took twice as long to greet the same group of people - and then stalked past Sofia and the officials waiting at the entrance without looking at or speaking to any of them. This after Sofia made a point of ensuring Letizia was greeted before she was when they first arrived.

She snapped at a reporter who dared to ask Leonor a question last summer after the family visited a museum. What was the question? Something on the lines of, “did you enjoy your visit?”

She refused to spend more than five minutes greeting the gathered press at Marivent last summer and when Felipe seemed to suggest the family go down to - I’m guessing - at least say good bye to the gathered press, she refused. It’s beem suggested on here that her refusal to give even a little with the press is some sort of badge of honour and the mark of a strong character. Maybe, but if that’s the attitude you’re going to take you better make sure you never mess up, even a little, because they will then crucify you and make sure the incident is never, ever forgotten. As we’re seeing here.

And that’s just from the last year or two and doesn’t include the sometimes blatantly inappropriate fashion choices along with other appearance related issues that are off limits on this forum but which I think have very much shaped the image many people have of her as vain and superficial. It also doesn’t include the many, many, many rumours and stories out there of how she’s treated everyone from household staff, to other parents at her children’s school, to her own husband’s family members. If even 90 percent of the stories are untrue that still leaves a significant number of very unflattering truths.

I agree, the glee so many people are taking in Letizia’s public humiliation is grotesque - no one should be so publicly stoned, no matter what they’ve done. But the fact that the reaction has been so vehement should prompt some self evaluation on Letizia’s part regarding how things got to this point. Some of it may be jealousy or sexism or all the other excuses we’ve heard so often. But at least some of it is her own behaviour and if she does indeed have a truly strong character she’ll face up to that and adjust accordingly, for her own sake but, really, at this point, more for the sake of her daughter.

I cannot agree more, you reap what you sow and she's picking up the fruits of her behavior.

Can anyone explain to me why after Leonor already pushed her arm away once, Sofia doubles down and basically puts her granddaughter in a choke hold?

To me it’s Sofía who has a motive, not Letizia. Parents, not grandparents make the rules for their children.

After Letizia and Sofía exchange ‘looks’ , Sofia wants to continue the ‘confrontation’.

With all due respect, to me it seems Sofía is the one with issues, not Letizia.

I agree with you on this. I only saw this on Twitter after it went viral, but it does seem like Sofia was quite aggressive with her granddaughters. I also noticed that when Letizia went to wipe Leonor's hair back, Sofia's hand moved from her shoulders to where Letizia's hand was, and it almost looked like she was grabbing Letizia's hand. Then Leonor started pushing her hand away, but Letizia's hand was right there and got pushed too. AFTER being pushed away, Sofia put her hand on Leonor again, which Leonor AGAIN pushed away.

This was all on top of the fact that Infanta Sofia was in the middle of greeting or saying goodbye to someone and Queen Sofia just pulled her away in the middle of it. Sofia needs to learn that perhaps, she should ask her granddaughters if they want to take a picture with her rather than just grab them whenever she wants.

El futuro, en manos de Letizia | loc-secciones | EL MUNDO

Carmen Rigalt's article is HARSH

"No es el primer 'numerito' de Su Majestad la Reina Letizia, aunque sí el mas sonado. Nunca una majestad cayó más bajo ni un pueblo se sintió más abochornado ".

"It's not the first time HM the Queen Letizia throws a tantrum but it is the most widely spread. Never a majesty stoop down so low or a country felt more ashamed"

:eek:

Yes, but none of us is a Queen of a country.

But for some people to say her husband to divorce her? Seriously? And Queen or not, if she doesn't feel like someone else should use her children as props, then more power to her.

El futuro, en manos de Letizia | loc-secciones | EL MUNDO

Carmen Rigalt's article is HARSH

"No es el primer 'numerito' de Su Majestad la Reina Letizia, aunque sí el mas sonado. Nunca una majestad cayó más bajo ni un pueblo se sintió más abochornado ".

"It's not the first time HM the Queen Letizia throws a tantrum but it is the most widely spread. Never a majesty stoop down so low or a country felt more ashamed"

:eek:
So this is worse than the whole Inaki business. ? What priorities.

Know the meaning of gossip.......it is assumptions, innuendoes, lies, rumors and stories all made up by someone who wants to cause harm and trouble for someone else they do not like.

So here we read all the above about Letizia, all the gossip that is NOT factual yet she is haunted like a rabid dog and some here want to hang her from the highest tree........shame on anyone for doing to to *anyone* even Letizia.

The media is using this just for one reason only.........money and greed for without this why buy a paper or click on the internet ........*Oh of the human race I do despair* ....Beam me up Scotty for all is lost down here

Calling for Felipe to divorce his wife.......disgusting, disgrace and shameful of anyone who says that......:bang::bang:

So this is worse than the whole Inaki business. ? What priorities.

The way I see it, this is akin to Laurent and Philippe, what Laurent does is not Philippe's fault but if Mathilde did a lot of bad things, then it would be Philippe's fault for choosing her (that's the way people are assuming this).

More or less like that and I really hope Iñaki ends up in prison one day but it's not likely :bang:

Back
Top Bottom