Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes.
I think she would have been happier staying as a TV anchor than becoming a Queen but ambition was stronger than anything else. :cool:

Well nowadays it seems like royal titles don't mean as much as they used to. The world is changing but esp in Spain if the people do not respect her how can she expect respect back? Why doesn't she want to win the hearts of the very same people who is given her a privileged lifestyle?

Well nowadays it seems like royal titles don't mean as much as they used to. The world is changing but esp in Spain if the people do not respect her how can she expect respect back? Why doesn't she want to win the hearts of the very same people who is given her a privileged lifestyle?

I can assure you that being the Queen of Spain still means a lot, especially compared to being a news anchor. Could Letizia have been happier as a commoner ? I don’t know, maybe. But she would not have had the kind of life experience that she had as Princess of Asturias and Queen consort.

:jester: :lol: Perfect!

Letizia brought all this on herself, and I don't think the fallout is over yet, not by a long shot. Hopefully she'll make some gesture towards a rapprochement, surely she's not arrogant enough to think her behavior can stand as it is. She really doesn't want to go up against Sofia, she is totally out of her league, it will not end well.

How will this backfire on MC, just maybe some in the royal circles will she her for what she is.....a non working involved positive person for the country that she thinks she is crown princess of.....bet most Greeks don't even know who she is......I will give Queen Sofia credit for she put up with a lot of **** from her husband and not had a great life as a happy married woman yet she needs to back off the throne for it is not her territory any longer, there are 2 other people now in charge as it should be.

Crown Princess Marie-Chantal is wealthier than Midas, and the Greek royal family into which she married is impeccably connected (more frequently than the Spanish royals being guests of their relatives, the British and the Danes), so it is highly unlikely that she is going to be punished for stating exactly what so many royals likely say about Letizia behind closed doors.

As for Queen Sofía: the Spanish monarchy in which Queen Letizia now finds herself would not exist were it not for King Juan Carlos and, especially, doña Sofía. Sofía not only dealt with the serial infidelity of her husband, she also saw her brother lose the throne of their homeland. If one looks closely, there are certain behavioural traits in common between Queen Frederika and Queen Letizia that seem to be emerging (i.e. the perceived influence over their husbands, the perceived influence over their young children/future heirs to the kingdom, their strong personalities, etc.). Doña Sofía sacrificed a hell of a lot to make sure that her son Felipe would have a kingdom over which to reign, and she did all this without complaint. Against her own private wishes (and those of his father and wider family), Sofía supported Felipe's expressed desire to marry the woman of his choice. If the least that Queen Sofía desires in these golden years of her life is to have a picture with her granddaughters of whom she sees so little, then Good Lord, surely that is not too much to ask, regardless of how she and Queen Letizia may feel about one another.

Tacky, tacky, tacky behavior from a Queen and her daughter. For goodness sake, you take a few seconds to take a few photos - you smile and move on. It's called behaving appropriately in a public situation from a QUEEN. I would expect graciousness, respect and dignity to be extended to all around her - and she should be setting an example for her own daughter.
Tacky.

I can assure you that being the Queen of Spain still means a lot, especially compared to being a news anchor. Could Letizia have been happier as a commoner ? I don’t know, maybe. But she would not have had the kind of life experience that she had as Princess of Asturias and Queen consort.

In the grand stage it really doesn't. But you have your opinions and I have mine.

Tacky, tacky, tacky behavior from a Queen and her daughter. For goodness sake, you take a few seconds to take a few photos - you smile and move on. It's called behaving appropriately in a public situation from a QUEEN. I would expect graciousness, respect and dignity to be extended to all around her - and she should be setting an example for her own daughter.
Tacky.

The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía should not be blamed for anything in relation to this event.

If anything, Infanta Leonor appears to have been trying to extricate herself from the altercation between her mother and grandmother, being fully aware (at a terribly young age) that there are always eyes watching the family...and she is right. Notice how she is smiling throughout and does not bat an eyelash while it is taking place, even though she is clearly trying to get out of the frame of the seemingly unpleasant situation. Seconds later, she is happily embracing her grandmother for a brief moment again before the family recomposes for a final photograph outside the church.

The young infantas are not in the wrong here.

Crown Princess Marie-Chantal is wealthier than Midas, and the Greek royal family into which she married is impeccably connected (more frequently than the Spanish royals being guests of their relatives, the British and the Danes), so it is highly unlikely that she is going to be punished for stating exactly what so many royals likely say about Letizia behind closed doors.

As for Queen Sofía: the Spanish monarchy in which Queen Letizia now finds herself would not exist were it not for King Juan Carlos and, especially, doña Sofía. Sofía not only dealt with the serial infidelity of her husband, she also saw her brother lose the throne of their homeland. If one looks closely, there are certain behavioural traits in common between Queen Frederika and Queen Letizia that seem to be emerging (i.e. the perceived influence over their husbands, the perceived influence over their young children/future heirs to the kingdom, their strong personalities, etc.). Doña Sofía sacrificed a hell of a lot to make sure that her son Felipe would have a kingdom over which to reign, and she did all this without complaint. Against her own private wishes (and those of his father and wider family), Sofía supported Felipe's expressed desire to marry the woman of his choice. If the least that Queen Sofía desires in these golden years of her life is to have a picture with her granddaughters of whom she sees so little, then Good Lord, surely that is not too much to ask, regardless of how she and Queen Letizia may feel about one another.
Just seems like Letizia is ungrateful in the position that she is in.

If you took all that money from MC, what would be left? I seriously doubt that the CP would have married any woman that was Broke, had not zillions in the bank account. If fact I doubt he would have given her a second glance so her money buys the royal family of Greece......She does not live in Greece and has from all accounts that I have read supported any of the countries poor or down trodden in any way. So all MC has to her name is MONEY and that buys her anything she wants, even an empty title and entrance into other royal families lives. I have yet to see evidence that MC and QL have or are close friends ever.....in fact I did not see where QL went to that out landish party that Felipe went to. MC is what I call ..girls that do lunch and nothing else which is fine for them yet don't give me your some royal person for having money does not make you royal regardless of how much you have. It is all about duty and loyalty to the country that supports you and gives you the titles and crown to go with it.

I understand where your coming from on QS for her life even as queen has not been easy or happy. Yet she is now in the background and the lights shine on Felipe and Letizia and their girls as it should be. This is a huge Blame game against Letizia even if she did nothing wrong she is the escape goat of the family and country.......I don't blame her if she is distant or weary of anyone anymore, she has dealt with hate, jealousy and dishonestly to decades now.....so she is a strong woman and ambitious, is there something wrong in that? Women down through history have been crucified for being that way, the world expects women to sit and shut up and listen.............well some of us just are not built that way and I say more power to her for taking a stand where she had concerns about her daughter. I also do not think QS realized how tightly she might of been holding onto Lenore with her arm around her neck, and that is why Lenore pushed her arm away, after all she is still a child. Both women made mistakes here not just one and nobody walks on water these days if ever..not even Queen Sofia nor Queen Letizia.

The Princess of Asturias and Infanta Sofía should not be blamed for anything in relation to this event.

If anything, Infanta Leonor appears to have been trying to extricate herself from the altercation between her mother and grandmother, being fully aware (at a terribly young age) that there are always eyes watching the family...and she is right. Notice how she is smiling throughout and does not bat an eyelash while it is taking place, even though she is clearly trying to get out of the frame of the seemingly unpleasant situation. Seconds later, she is happily embracing her grandmother for a brief moment again before the family recomposes for a final photograph outside the church.

The young infantas are not in the wrong here.

THIS, a million times this.
They are innocent children caught in an uncomfortable situation

Just seems like Letizia is ungrateful in the position that she is in.

Exactly, she thinks that because she's the Queen, she's entitled to do as she pleases and has no one to answer to.

Newsflash, Leti: you have to answer to US, the ones who pay for your lifestyle.:cool:

Carlota, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it's Queen Sofía who asks the official photographer of the Royal House for the photo... a photo for her private album. The press photographers were outside the cathedral several meters away and on one side. So it is not an act of magnanimous and exemplary queen.

Yes, and it is queen Sofia, who drags infanta Sofia away from greeting people, to pose at a photo with her and Leonor. People are complaining that Letizia and Felipe control their daughters and don't let them socialize with people. And now when they are leaving the Mass, the girls are doing just that - and queen Sofia interrupts that.

Both women made mistakes here not just one and nobody walks on water these days if ever..not even Queen Sofia nor Queen Letizia.

Yes, everyone in this case can handle it better, it's quite weird to see Letizia is the only one who is being blamed. :ermm:

The hashtag #LetiziaVsSofia is trending on Twitter Spain :ermm:

And people are either talking about Republic or siding with Sofía.

Not good for the current monarchs, not good at all.

How will this whole debacle affect the monarchy?

If something as banal as this causes the monarchy to tremble, what can one say? :huh:

It's just an excuse. It's clear some have carried an issue regarding Letizia from the day she married.

There are a few comments along the lines of 'We miss you Eva Sannum' :whistling:

If something as banal as this causes the monarchy to tremble, what can one say? :huh:

It's just an excuse. It's clear some have carried an issue regarding Letizia from the day she married.

It's a combination of factors, there's a lot going on in Spain politically speaking (tons of corruption cases, falsifying university degrees by politicians, the Catalan Procés, the Basques asking for more money, etc) and the monarchy should be the rock, the foundation of the country and if you can't even trust them not to "fight" in public, then people ask themselves: what do we have them for? what are we paying them for? :ermm:

There are a few comments along the lines of 'We miss you Eva Sannum' :whistling:

Also, a very strong #TeamSofia movement in both Facebook and Twitter, people are siding with the elderly queen massively.:whistling:

Whatever the situation I wonder the view from MC's high horse .... the video is not great I will say but the less said by others IMO the better. I am no Letizia fan and they have just been at mass so it's really odd ... I would love to be able to crow as loud as MC and feel so safe!!!!!

It's a combination of factors, there's a lot going on in Spain politically speaking (tons of corruption cases, falsifying university degrees by politicians, the Catalan Procés, the Basques asking for more money, etc) and the monarchy should be the rock, the foundation of the country and if you can't even trust them not to "fight" in public, then people ask themselves: what do we have them for? what are we paying them for? :ermm:

I feel bad for Felipe. He clearly loves his role and being King. He wants the monarchy to be strong and be there for Leonor. Sucks this has happened.

Yes, everyone in this case can handle it better, it's quite weird to see Letizia is the only one who is being blamed. :ermm:

There always has been incredible double standards. If the roles of Letizia and Sofia had been reversed that day, Letizia would still be the one to be blamed. Look at this woman, when the rest of her families were greeting the guests, she was standing at the center of the church grabbing her daughters and posing for the camera. After so many years, she still didn't know how to behave ! Her MIL tried to stop her, she dared to push her MIL's law's hand away, threw a tantrum, what a bitch blah blah blah :bang::bang::bang !

There were talks of Felipe usually taking the girls to Zarzuela to meet his parents Friday afternoon. There was no proof that Sofia almost had no chance of seeing the girls. Maybe Sofia herself hadn't been spending much time in Spain. Let's blame Letizia for that too.

Last edited:

That's why I'm shocked this even happened, Letizia should have just let it go. She made a spectacle, over what? I thought she was more professional than this.

I'm actually neutral on Letizia, I think she's hard working but I also think she's cold and brittle. I haven't had any real aversion to her until this incident.

But seeing her lose control like this makes me wonder what is going on behind closed doors, and how much it affects the business of government. Inter-family warfare like this can undermine the common person without the responsibilities Felipe carries, I have to imagine it's very disheartening. The look on his face during this episode :sad:

That's why I'm shocked this even happened, Letizia should have just let it go. She made a spectacle, over what? I thought she was more professional than this.

I'm actually neutral on Letizia, I think she's hard working but I also think she's cold and brittle. I haven't had any real aversion to her until this incident.

But seeing her lose control like this makes me wonder what is going on behind closed doors, and how much it affects the business of government. Inter-family warfare like this can undermine the common person without the responsibilities Felipe carries, I have to imagine it's very disheartening. The look on his face during this episode :sad:

I truly felt bad for Felipe. This has undermined all the work he has done for the past 4 years.

I truly felt bad for Felipe. This has undermined all the work he has done for the past 4 years.

Exactly, things like these are all over Twitter:

The sign says something like "Borbones to the elections. Head of State by ballot, not by cradle" :ermm:

[...]

But seeing her lose control like this makes me wonder what is going on behind closed doors, and how much it affects the business of government.

[...]

The business of government continues to run perfectly fine. King Felipe has only a ceremonial role, as all modern monarchs, and an overreacting Letizia really has zero influence on Government.

The business of government continues to run perfectly fine. King Felipe has only a ceremonial role, as all modern monarchs, and an overreacting Letizia really has zero influence on Government.

It's actually a bit more complicated than that these days, because the only institution that is actually bringing (by Constitution) the country together is the Monarchy, if there's a call for a Constitutional reform to remove the monarchy, the country could actually break apart, it would open a huge can of worms most of us really don't need.

Any kind of instability in the Crown is utterly inconvenient at this time, couldn't have happened at a worst moment and people would take any silly thing to try to bring them down.

It’s obvious that Leonor did...not...want...to...be...in...a..stranglehold...embrace...by...her...grandmother.

She was staring directly into Letizia’s eyes, pleading for help. My son didn’t want his dear granny doing that to him when he was 12, either. I see this as an ongoing problem, and it happens to grandparents of all sorts. I hope Sofia comes to understand this before her rapport with both girls is lost.

It's like we are watching completely different thing as I don't see how “lose control” Letizia is. :ermm:

What I see: Sofia wanted to take the girls for photography, at the same time Letizia passed by in front of them in order to greet the crowd > Letizia came back and touched Lenor's hair, at the same time Leonore pushed Sofia's hand away from her shoulder > Sofia and Letizia discussed/argued something and later Felipe joined in > Leonor pushed Sofia's hand again and Sofia tried to grab her back, but finally she let the girls go.

And Letizia is blamed for “fighting” with her MIL, blamed for Leonor's misbehaviors. :ermm:

I said that before, all of them should be able to handle it better and Letizia shouldn't be the only one be blamed. Some people are like, “Letizia's inappropriate behavior is going to destroy the Bourbon”. :confused:

It's actually a bit more complicated than that these days, because the only institution that is actually bringing (by Constitution) the country together is the Monarchy, if there's a call for a Constitutional reform to remove the monarchy, the country could actually break apart, it would open a huge can of worms most of us really don't need.

Any kind of instability in the Crown is utterly inconvenient at this time, couldn't have happened at a worst moment and people would take any silly thing to try to bring them down.
Yeah I like monarchies because like you said it keeps the country together. It was stupid for Letizia to act like that in front of the world to see.

Back
Top Bottom