Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the word on the street in Spain? Who is getting the blame?

I assume commentators are out in force as well; what is their take?

I cannot fathom why anyone would have a go at Leonor. Even if she was misbehaving (for once! she's not in the habit of misbehaving AFAIK) a twelve year old child should be forgiven, and especially be forgiven if someone violates her personal space.
It can't be people with children of their own who post that sort of, pardon me, crap.

Letizia is generally getting the blame. A lot of commenters are saying Leonor was disrespectful to her grandmother, and that her mother must have not taught her well (that tone, of varying permutation of different words).

A very offensive looking picture. And that to lady who is daughter of a King, sister to a King, wife to a King, mother of a King, sister-in-law to a Queen and who is Queen herself for 43 years!

That imo is irrelevant: either Q.Letizia was in the wrong and she shouldn't have behaved like that to her mother in law (regardless of her m.i.l.'s heritage) or Q.Sofia was in the wrong and disrespectful to her daughter in law (regardless of *her* heritage).

My conclusion: both should have known better than to behave like this in public, and MC's reaction on social media leads me to think that things like this have happened more often behind closed doors and the family (at least q.Sofia's) is "talking" about it and have chosen their "side" in the conflict

No good can come of this (unless they find a real quick way to "jokingly" get passed this)

what a desaster for the spanish royal family! Letizia has an absolutly vulgar behaviour and no control about herself.
The so called "queen" of the Spaniards simulates to save her daughters from media and leads frontally her family in a media desaster - Letizia - what a silly, what an arrogant person.

Even the more serious Spanish newspapers are printing stories

elpais
The deteriorated relationship between Queens Letizia and Sofía.

https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/04/gente/1522832682_434515.html

Translation
https://translate.google.com/transl...nte/1522832682_434515.html&edit-text=&act=url

ElMundo

The unpopularity of Letizia

La impopularidad de Letizia | El blog de la Reina Letizia

Letizia will I fear come out worse in it all and will do nothing for her image ,its cruel seeing as Leonor is being ridiculed on social media.

The unpopularity of Letizia is exactly because she is "one of us". It is the feeling: "Girl, you do not neef to stick that manicured nose in the air. You are no royal. You PLAY a royal."

We see the same sentiment regarding Catherine, you can read between the lines that she is just a Doolittle.

If the Spanish Royal Family are devout Catholics, as I assume they are, it is expected that they would go to Mass on Easter, the most important date of the Christian calendar. Masses are public events that take place in public places, so it is understandable that there will be people cheering when they leave the church and photographers taking pictures.

I think it is a stretch to suggest that the SRF goes to church on Easter Sunday just as a publicity stunt, or to suit the needs of Queen Sofia. In any case, if it was a PR stunt, it backfired completely thanks to Letizia’s unreasonable reaction to an innocent and harmless picture.
It is well known that Letizia is far from a devout Catholic. Had she been, she would have had a church marriage the first time for instance.

Queen Sofia is a devout christian (catholic or orthodox; formally the first but she might still feel connected to her orthodox roots) indeed but the other family members show up for Easter and probably not much else.

A few PR firms are certainly working overtime around the world right now...

That imo is irrelevant: either Q.Letizia was in the wrong and she shouldn't have behaved like that to her mother in law (regardless of her m.i.l.'s heritage) or Q.Sofia was in the wrong and disrespectful to her daughter in law (regardless of *her* heritage).

My conclusion: both should have known better than to behave like this in public, and MC's reaction on social media leads me to think that things like this have happened more often behind closed doors and the family (at least q.Sofia's) is "talking" about it and have chosen their "side" in the conflict

No good can come of this (unless they find a real quick way to "jokingly" get passed this)

No any grandmother deserves is. And certainly not Queen Sofía.
Even a popular person like Máxima would face a backlash when she acted like this against grandma Beatrix who touchef Ariane. The public would instinctively back the old Queen. Exactly like in Spain.

It is Letizia who loosed her cool and she has chosen the most wrong possible target for it.

That imo is irrelevant: either Q.Letizia was in the wrong and she shouldn't have behaved like that to her mother in law (regardlesz of her m.i.l.'s heritage) or Q.Sofia was in the wrong and disrespectful to her daughter in law (regardless of *her* heritage.

No good can come of this (unlesx they find a real quick way to "jokingly" get passed this)

Ugh, that would be terrible. If true, no wonder Letizia is tense. Imagine having that kind of relationship with extended family, your MIL talking about you behind your back, being blamed for how your husband treated your errant SIL, etc. The isolation must be intense, and her daughters and husband her only allies. I hope that regardless of what Sofia shares with her side of the family, that she calls out Marie Chantal for her public comments.

After all this, ironically, it is Letizia's commoner, immediate family that comes out classiest.

A few PR firms are certainly working overtime around the world right now...

Not at all. Royal Houses are no box of cereals or a brand of electronics. All this will wave aside and calm down again.

Ugh, that would be terrible. If true, no wonder Letizia is tense. Imagine having that kind of relationship with extended family, your MIL talking about you behind your back, being blamed for how your husband treated your errant SIL, etc. The isolation must be intense, and her daughters and husband her only allies. I hope that regardless of what Sofia shares with her side of the family, that she calls out Marie Chantal for her public comments.

After all this, ironically, it is Letizia's commoner, immediate family that comes out classiest.

Like her "republican" aunt who has bashed her and the royal house or the cousin who has gone to TV to tell all about the stuff Letizia did before being queen? :ermm:

A very offensive looking picture. And that to lady who is daughter of a King, sister to a King, wife to a King, mother of a King, sister-in-law to a Queen and who is Queen herself for 43 years!

this is one of the famous fotos to suggest a rift between the women but its out of context.

this is another one:
http://i41.tinypic.com/1z5k6xe.jpg

and some more that usually come up to prove a marriage crisis:
https://media.giphy.com/media/7YQvQiWqDfJkY/giphy.gif
https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/markiza98/77963947/403715/403715_600.jpg
https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/markiza98/77963947/403619/403619_600.jpg
https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/markiza98/77963947/403413/403413_300.jpg
https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/markiza98/77963947/401663/401663_600.jpg

Letizia is generally getting the blame. A lot of commenters are saying Leonor was disrespectful to her grandmother, and that her mother must have not taught her well (that tone, of varying permutation of different words).

It is interesting that some American (and, to a lesser extent, British) posters here seem to side with Letizia based on the prenise that the "mother always knows best" and has "precedence over the grandmother", or that Queen Sofia was being "abusive". I won't go into the merits of those arguments, but it suffices to say that they match some American cultural perceptions about family. In the Spanish culture, however, I see that most people take it as the mother and the child being disrespectful to a family elder/matriarch. Are we seeing a clash of cultures here ?

I think many people can relate!! :lol:

Her family all appear to be nice all except her dreadful aunt Henar!

Its a wonder she has not been tweeting her opinions.

Like her "republican" aunt who has bashed her and the royal house or the cousin who wrote a book about all the stuff Letizia did before being queen? :ermm:

I said immediate. ;) The comments come after seeing how her mother and sister handled the press hounding them today. And I absolutely liked how unassuming they looked. They look like anybody you meet at the autobus and the streets.

Queen Sofía stood by her son and supported him fully in his choice for Letizia Ortiz. So Doña Sofía was Letizia's ally in the palace.

Yes she was an ally in public but behind the scenes it was probably more like 'you want it you get it'.
Following the 'priceless example of the Queen', as Letizia said on her engagement day, has probably been a more than difficult task.

Not at all. Royal Houses are no box of cereals or a brand of electronics. All this will wave aside and calm down again.

Believe me, Royal Houses do have PR firms working for them...and with all the turbulence that the SRF has gone through these past few years, I'm sure they have made good use of a few professionals. But you may be right: this will certainly calm down again but it will be dug up over and over again at "convenient" times. :sad:

What a nonsense. We have heard nothing from the Spanish royal family. Only from the "classy" commoner Marie-Chantal who blabbed her opinion in a tweet.

Queen Sofía is her husband's aunt. It is very well possible Marie-Chantal had witnessed in very own person how Letizia really is behind the doors. Your blame thay Queen Sofía has talked about Letizia et al is pure speculation on your behalf.

Note that Queen Sofía is known as a Sphinx. She sees all, hears all and her lips are sealed. She once said: Queens have no friends. The only one she is completely open to is her sister Princess Irene, the only person who understands what it is to have lived a life like that of Doña Sofía.

It is interesting that some American (and, to a lesser extent, British) posters here seem to side with Letizia based on the prenise that the "mother always knows best" and has "precedence over the grandmother", or that Queen Sofia was being "abusive". I won't go into the merits of those arguments, but it suffices to say that they match some American cultural perceptions about family. In the Spanish culture, however, I see that most people take it as the mother and the child being disrespectful to a family elder/matriarch. Are we seeing a clash of cultures here ?

Perhaps.

However, just as protective and loving parents can be in regards to their children, we should not discount the very strong feelings many, if not most, grandparents (fortunately) have for their grandchildren.
Don't get between a child and its parent, but in many cases don't get between a child and its grandparents either! :hiding:

My wife and I will fight for our children, but my in-laws will happily go to jail for their grandchildren as well.
There is no reason IMO to suggest that Queen Sofia doesn't have very strong feelings for her granddaughters either. In fact it's my immediate impression that she is very fond of them.

Last edited:
Are you sure? They weren't just guiding him to walk backwards, they seemed to be tugging on him to get him away.
The one with the video camera (maybe he was recording the incident) was 'removed'. The guy with the photocamera was walking around freely in the church but gave up as he saw that no picture was to be taken and left the church just after the one with the video camera.

What a nonsense. We have heard nothing from the Spanish royal family. Only from the "classy" commoner Marie-Chantal who blabbed her opinion in a tweet.

Queen Sofía is her husband's aunt. It is very well possible Marie-Chantal had witnessed in very own person how Letizia really is behind the doors. Your blame thay Queen Sofía has talked about Letizia et al is pure speculation on your behalf.

Note that Queen Sofía is known as a Sphinx. She sees all, hears all and her lips are sealed. She once said: Queens have no friends. The only one she is completely open to is her sister Princess Irene, the only person who understands what it is to have lived a life like that of Doña Sofía.

Umm, wasn't this the same person who voiced out her opinions on Roman Catholics, abortion, euthanasia, same sex marriage that caused a scandal some years back?

And when quoting me, pls include the speculation I was reacting to so there's some context, thanks!

People don't dislike Letizia because she's a commoner, they actually hated Marichalar far much more at one point, the issue here is that she comes out as terribly forceful (and not in a good way), as a domineering personality that doesn't add to the Crown.

So let's not start with the "oh poor victim" thing because that's not true.

Letizia simply hasn't earned respect or being liked, not enough to make sure that things aren't always blamed on her.

I always hated when the British royals puts more favor to the heirs. Its not right. But I do not think Leonor will become rebellious. She seems more mature for her age.

What maturity do you recognize in her? I mainly see a very docile child.

People don't dislike Letizia because she's a commoner, they actually hated Marichalar far much more at one point, the issue here is that she comes out as terribly forceful (and not in a good way), as a domineering personality that doesn't add to the Crown.

So let's not start with the "oh poor victim" thing because that's not true.

Letizia simply hasn't earned respect or being liked, not enough to make sure that things aren't always blamed on her.
So she should adhere to stereotypical qualities of womanhood in order to qualify as likeable in Spain? :ermm:

I very much agree with you and Lady Nimue for Queen Sofia did have Lenore in a *choke-hold* and it was probably getting very uncomfortable for her. Maybe Queen Sofia did not realize just how tight she was holding Lenore by putting her arm around the neck for after all Lenore is still a child, not a young adult yet. I saw Queen Sofia pulling her around with her arm around her neck like a rag doll....no wonder Lenore pushed her arm away and then Queen Letizia went over to check on her daughter which in turn made Queen Sofia put her arm around Lenore's neck even tighter.......family spat and stop the blame game on Letizia for after all she is the MOTHER of these girls, not Sofia or anyone else. Sofia needs to learn her place in this family, she is not the mother, just a grandmother who is acting like she is the one in control of the family.
Sophia only puts her hand up closer to Leonor's neck to pull her towards her (which she probably shouldn't have done) AFTER Letizia's interference. Before Leonor was fine as her grandmother's hands were at a very logical position: upper arm/shoulder. So, had Letizia not interfered Leonor would have been perfectly fine and no scene had been created.

So she should adhere to stereotypical qualities of womanhood in order to qualify as likeable in Spain? :ermm:

No, one thing is to be a strong independent woman and another to be a domineering... well you know the word.:ermm:

She comes across as terribly possessive of her daughters for example, often using them as shields in acts, keeps touching their hair, their faces, etc.

Sadly this 'regrettable incident' will ensure that EVERY future appearance of Queens Letizia and Sofia together are pored over in the minutest detail for the tiniest signs of discord between them..
The children will 'cope', it is the King and the institution itself I most sorry for .
[Oh to be 'a fly on the Wall' at the Zarzuela when they all got home !]

They were all staying at Marivent; so couldn't even go to their separate homes :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom