Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twitter Spain is SLAUGHTERING Letizia, she's not very liked and virtually everyone respects Queen Sofía, so things are not looking good for her in the PR department tbh.
She's perceived as lazy, as if she lacks dedication to the Crown, as an overbearing mother that doesn't allow her daughters to interact with the royal side but only with her own family.
Not good at all.
And no, this doesn't have to do anything with Cristina or Iñaki, this family has been broken for a long time and the fact that the former King and Queen haven't been able to fully retire and have to show up for nearly everything is a proof that the current ones are not up to the task yet, which is terrible for Spain's stability.

Last edited:
It wasn't Letizia being aggressive. :ermm: Sofia it was who pulled at the girls. It's very clear. We can only see Sofia's reaction, we cannot see Letizia's reaction. It looks like the grandmother was causing the discomfort, not the mother (look at how Leonor consults with her mother as they emerge from the church and how the interactions with the grandmother are made amiable by Letizia). Nothing to do with 'queenship' I think. IMO. More to do with human dynamics, age and all that. :flowers:

I don't agree, especially in the footage of them leaving the cathedral when it is plain to see Letizia is stalking Sofia and not letting her walk forward. Very aggressive indeed. IMO.

Twitter Spain is SLAUGHTERING Letizia, she's not very liked and virtually everyone respects Queen Sofía, so things are not looking good for her in the PR department tbh.
She's perceived as lazy, as if she lacks dedication to the Crown, as an overbearing mother that doesn't allow her daughters to interact with the royal side but only with her own family.
Not good at all.
And no, this doesn't have to do anything with Cristina or Iñaki, this family has been broken for a long time and the fact that the former King and Queen haven't been able to fully retire and have to show up for nearly everything is a proof that the current ones are not up to the task yet, which is terrible for Spain's stability.
Wow did not know all of this. I the UK media I thought Letizia is perceived as popular Queen who is hardworking.
I do too wonder why Juan Carlos and Sofia have not retired yet as well. Felipe and Letizia have made the monarchy much more popular though.

Wow did not know all of this. I the UK media I thought Letizia is perceived as popular Queen who is hardworking.
I do too wonder why Juan Carlos and Sofia have not retired yet as well. Felipe and Letizia have made the monarchy much more popular though.

No, the popular ones are Juan Carlos and Sofía, despite his infidelities and stuff.
Felipe is seen as a guy who was asked only one thing: to marry well (and I don't mean royalty or even nobility) and he failed to do so in many of our eyes (I'm Spanish).
Letizia has a terrible image in Spain, people dislike her intensely for the reasons I posted above, people hate that the girls are so kept away from the public, that they no longer spend long seasons in Mallorca (in a palace we all pay for, if they don't want to use it, open it to the public then), that we never know where they are on holiday whenever they leave Spain, everything about them is secrecy and it clashes horribly with the pretty open style Juan Carlos and Sofía had with their children, I grew up seeing pictures of them at school, with their friends, in holidays, etc.
The latest video of them eating and stuff was terrible, so rehearsed, not natural at all, seems like everyone had learned a script and people cringed and laughed at it.
They don't really do much besides curtain pulling, you rarely see Letizia alone in trips abroad, she doesn't actively work in international organizations like many of her queen/princess peers, Felipe is often called a "calzonazos" (a wimp controlled by his wife) because people perceive he's not the one calling the shots and that's terrible for someone who represents Spain's unity in this period of turmoil with the Catalan issue.

Last edited:
One short odd scene can't really tell their relationship. Honestly I don't think Sofia and Letizia have a very good or very bad relationship, they have a “colleague-like” relationship, not very close but still okay to stay together.

And MC, I don't know why she comment it publicly and what make her think she must comment about this. It's like she is fussing something which is none of her business.

No, the popular ones are Juan Carlos and Sofía, despite his infidelities and st

Obviously you detect Felipe and Letizia very much. No matter what you think of Letizia, Felipe is extremely popular in Spain now, much more so than his father now. This year JC and Sofia celebrate their 80th birthday, their series of acts are part of their birthday celebration, not that Felipe and Letizia need them to pump up their image. It's more of help JC rebuilding his image, have more people remember what he had done for Spain. After this year, I think JC likely will retire for good, continue enjoy his private traveling and gourmet good.

No, the popular ones are Juan Carlos and Sofía, despite his infidelities and stuff.
Felipe is seen as a guy who was asked only one thing: to marry well (and I don't mean royalty or even nobility) and he failed to do so in many of our eyes (I'm Spanish).
Letizia has a terrible image in Spain, people dislike her intensely for the reasons I posted above, people hate that the girls are so kept away from the public, that they no longer spend long seasons in Mallorca (in a palace we all pay for, if they don't want to use it, open it to the public then), that we never know where they are on holiday whenever they leave Spain, everything about them is secrecy and it clashes horribly with the pretty open style Juan Carlos and Sofía had with their children, I grew up seeing pictures of them at school, with their friends, in holidays, etc.
The latest video of them eating and stuff was terrible, so rehearsed, not natural at all, seems like everyone had learned a script and people cringed and laughed at it.
They don't really do much besides curtain pulling, you rarely see Letizia alone in trips abroad, she doesn't actively work in international organizations like many of her queen/princess peers, Felipe is often called a "calzonazos" (a wimp controlled by his wife) because people perceive he's not the one calling the shots and that's terrible for someone who represents Spain's unity in this period of turmoil with the Catalan issue.

Wow very insightful. I guess I had a different point of view because I am not from Spain. I did not know she rarely works. I always assumed from articles I see on DM that she is a hardworker. So the Spanish people do not respect her? Do they respect Felipe as King? I always assumed since he ascended the throne he has made the monarchy more popular which i agree with. I have heard about Mallorca. Its a wonderful place and the palace is beautiful such a shame Letizia hates it so much. Maybe because its all work duties while on vacation? Sucks that the girls aren't shown enough. I know they want to protect them, but they need to esp Leonor needs to get used to the publicity and know her people well. What do you see the Spanish monarchy looking like in the long run?

It looked to me that Sofia was trying to get herself photographed with the two girls. Then Letitia steps in front ruining the shot. So Sofia tries to get Leonore to stay so that the photographer can get another shot. Leonore had enough and wanted to move away. That's how it looked to me.

Wow very insightful. I guess I had a different point of view because I am not from Spain. I did not know she rarely works. I always assumed from articles I see on DM that she is a hardworker. So the Spanish people do not respect her? Do they respect Felipe as King? I always assumed since he ascended the throne he has made the monarchy more popular which i agree with. I have heard about Mallorca. Its a wonderful place and the palace is beautiful such a shame Letizia hates it so much. Maybe because its all work duties while on vacation? Sucks that the girls aren't shown enough. I know they want to protect them, but they need to esp Leonor needs to get used to the publicity and know her people well. What do you see the Spanish monarchy looking like in the long run?

Spain is terribly fractured in a political level right now and we need more than ever a strong King, a united Royal family.

And that's not happening.

The problem is that everyone blames Letizia because the family truly broke since she came along, it is probably not only due to her but she's the scapegoat that doesn't help her own cause, because people say she's a 8-5 Queen, that she doesn't want to do anything on weekends, that she takes too many holidays, that she keeps her family at the palace, etc.

Not good at all.

Some videos purposely blocked the handshake Letizia had with a woman on the right hand corner to make it as if Letizia was walking back and forth blocking her MIL from taking pictures. After the handshake, Letizia walked back and started touching Leonor's hair, Sofia started to push Letizia's hand away, she was much more aggressive than Letizia from the video. If some posters don't like Letizia or was a fan of Cristina, there was still no need to blame a 12-year-old. Leonor didn't like her Mom touching her hair, neither did she like her grandma grabbing her so tight, what's wrong with it ? At one time, Sofia (perhaps unconsciously IMO) had her whole arm around Leo's shoulder, so close to her neck, you can image how comfortable the girl felt.

I admittedly don't follow the Spanish royals as much as I'd like to, so I tried from a pretty much unbiased view to look at this video, kindly posted by Lula. :flowers:
I also turned off the sound in order not to be distracted and I must say that I didn't see anything inappropriate from either Queens.

To me they were both caressing and lovingly touching both girls, who are perhaps not that used to interacting with the public and they are not that old after all. That IMO was a way to comfort the girls. I would very likely do the same.

I will not comment on whether Queen Letizia fulfills her role adequately or not, just comment on this video. And there I saw nothing wrong.
I only saw the usual family confusion, also seen among most other royal families, that they were trying to oblige the public and press as best as they could. And they clearly hadn't agreed on anything among themselves as to what to do and where to stand and with whom.

Also, when you have recently been in charge for many years(Queen Sofia) it can, I imagine, be a little difficult to remember that it's now someone else who runs the show i.e. Queen Letizia. ;)

Spain is terribly fractured in a political level right now and we need more than ever a strong King, a united Royal family.

And that's not happening.

The problem is that everyone blames Letizia because the family truly broke since she came along, it is probably not only due to her but she's the scapegoat that doesn't help her own cause, because people say she's a 8-5 Queen, that she doesn't want to do anything on weekends, that she takes too many holidays, that she keeps her family at the palace, etc.

Not good at all.
I am one of those people who wants Spain to have a strong monarchy and a strong king. Felipe is extremely popular and helped the monarchy become popular again but this is short term. What is the long term? Letizia should know that being a Queen consort is a lifetime job and you are supposed to service the people. You work for the people. QEII understands that!!!! Also think its not going to help Leonor if they keep hiding her and her sister all the time.

And then to think that no one else but Doña Sofía de Grecia y Hannover was exactly the very one who supported Don Felipe, the absolute apple of her eye, in his decision to marry Letizia...

Strange to see that there is a bad vibe between Doña Sofía and Letizia.

Vulgar from Marie-Chantal to vent her unroyal burps via Twitter!

I admittedly don't follow the Spanish royals as much as I'd like to, so I tried from a pretty much unbiased view to look at this video, kindly posted by Lula. :flowers:
I also turned off the sound in order not to be distracted and I must say that I didn't see anything inappropriate from either Queens.

To me they were both caressing and lovingly touching both girls, who are perhaps not that used to interacting with the public and they are not that old after all. That IMO was a way to comfort the girls. I would very likely do the same.

I will not comment on whether Queen Letizia fulfills her role adequately or not, just comment on this video. And there I saw nothing wrong.
I only saw the usual family confusion, also seen among most other royal families, that they were trying to oblige the public and press as best as they could. And they clearly hadn't agreed on anything among themselves as to what to do and where to stand and with whom.

Also, when you have recently been in charge for many years(Queen Sofia) it can, I imagine, be a little difficult to remember that it's now someone else who runs the show i.e. Queen Letizia. ;)

It seems that the media was asking for a picture of Doña Sofía with her two granddaughters but that Letizia purposedly sabotaged the set-up, which led to irritations. But I agree, it is not so clear what it is all about and what justified the vulgar outburst by Marie-Chantal.

It looks to me like Letizia goes in front of the girls to shake someones hand on the other side of the aisle. Then she goes to her girls and Sophia at this point has a tussle with Leonor.

That's what I saw the first time I watched the video, and the wider plans subsequently just confirmed it to me. Seems that when Sofia and Letizia talks whatever they talk among themselves, Sofia completely forgets she has her grandaughter grabbed by the shoulder and her arm even reaches her neck, that's when Leonor takes it off visibly unconfortable.

It's absolutely not surprising such a blown up and, given how the knives are always out for Letizia, the discussion is exactly going as it'd be expected :cool:
Keep the fun going, people. That's what forums are for.

PS: it has to be pointed out too that, in a beautiful coincidence (sure it has to be so ;)), the very same people that felt oh-so-very-concerned with the new level of attention concentrated on Leonor the day she received her Golden Fleece, fearing how the media scrutinity would be hard to bear for a girl of 12, are the same ones that were prompted to jump at her at her first public misstep. Oh, Internet life is poetry, isn't it? ;)

Last edited:
Obviously you detest Felipe and Letizia very much. No matter what you think of Letizia, Felipe is extremely popular in Spain now, much more so than his father now. This year JC and Sofia celebrate their 80th birthday, their series of acts are part of their birthday celebration, not that Felipe and Letizia need them to pump up their image. It's more of help JC rebuilding his image, have more people remember what he had done for Spain. After this year, I think JC likely will retire for good, continue enjoy his private traveling and gourmet good.

This is what I am hearing, too. :flowers: I am startled by the negative remarks. Not aware of negativity regarding Letizia at the level being suggested, but then I tend to stay clear of all negativity with most royals anyway, as a matter of personal policy. ;) (Usually).

That's what I saw the first time I watched the video, and the wider plans subsequently just confirmed it to me. Seems that when Sofia and Letizia talks whatever they talk among themselves, Sofia completely forgets she has her grandaughter grabbed by the shoulder and her arm even reaches her neck, that's when Leonor takes it off visibly unconfortable.

It's absolutely not surprising such a blown up and, given how the knifes are always out for Letizia, the discussion is exactly going as it'd be expected :cool:
Keep the fun going, people. That's what forums are for.

PS: it has to be pointed out too that, in a beautiful coincidence (sure it has to be so ;)), the very same people that felt oh-so-very-concerned with the new level of attention concentrated on Leonor the day she received her Golden Fleece, fearing how the media scrutinity would be hard to bear for a girl of 12, are the same ones that were prompted to jump at her at her first public misstep. Oh, Internet life is poetry, isn't it? ;)

As terrible as social networks are in Spain, I haven't really seen negative comments towards Leonor or Sofía Jr, it has all about the beef between the two Queens ;)

And then to think that no one else but Doña Sofía de Grecia y Hannover was exactly the very one who supported Don Felipe, the absolute apple of her eye, in his decision to marry Letizia...

She supported her children in all her marriages and look how that turned out :ermm:

Leidi, Leonor is getting quite cruel reviews in social networks, and probably today the girl will pay at school... probably many expected the first public error of the girl to attack her. Froilán is a good example of how the press and Spanish commentators can be cruel to a child.

LadyFinn says the right thing. In this video they reproduce how Queen Sofia tells the photographer of the Royal House "now, now". Sofia is who while the family greets people is looking for the moment to approach the girls and take an unnecessary photo that is for herself.

laSexta analiza el vídeo completo del encontronazo entre la reina Letizia y la reina Sofía

The press was meters away, and they were surrounded by bodyguards and official media. So probably the recording spread by twitter is a zoom of the official video, which also cuts the image so that you can not see how Sofia forces her granddaughter to stop shaking hands, and as Letizia does not move like crazy that she is going to greet the lady or how she stays in the middle because on the other side are the bodyguards and Juan Carlos. The video is modified to sell a story, and people will see that video with that story in mind and will not see the real sequence.

It is not the first video that appears manipulated or misinterpreted to attack Letizia. A few years ago they also sold some images such as the scandal of Sofia to Letizia for behaving badly, also criticizing Letizia. Weeks later the real video appeared, and not only the row was inexistent, but Sofia did not even address Letizia. Evidently nobody corrected the information.

The Spanish press promotes an image of Queen Sofia as a victim .... victim of the unfaithful husband, victim of Letizia, victim of the Urdangarín scandal ... and that makes people show affection for her. For many years Queen Sofia was considered a cold and distant person, only her role as a grandmother changed that vision in the media, and she knew how to exploit that role with continuous family photographic poses. Although some grandchildren, like Froilán, were very uncomfortable in those situations, she always wanted to show that image of grandmother and grandchildren, and the press was delighted with it, and although sometimes it was forced, they did not criticize it.

Letizia will always be the weak target of the Royal Family and who will receive the cruelest critics ... she is the commoner who has reached the top, and that in Spain is not forgiven.

About Cristina, I have only said that this video has been a good distraction so that the press does not speak of her presence yesterday in Madrid. For months there is a certain campaign from some sector to promote her image facing the entrance of Iñaki in prison .... and Letizia is always marked as the culprit of the absences of Cristina. So this video, at this time has served the purpose very well.

Last edited:

I think their relation has been strained after Inaki's corruption. Sofia definitely had arguments with JC and Felipe, but one is her husband, the other is her son, one day were arguing, the next day likely back to normal, but this doesn't apply to a daughter-in-law. Disagreement wouldn't help the relation..

I am one of those people who wants Spain to have a strong monarchy and a strong king. Felipe is extremely popular and helped the monarchy become popular again but this is short term. What is the long term? Letizia should know that being a Queen consort is a lifetime job and you are supposed to service the people. You work for the people. QEII understands that!!!! Also think its not going to help Leonor if they keep hiding her and her sister all the time.

Felipe has some goodwill but I don't think he'll ever reach his father's peak popularity because he lacks that larger-than-life personality and charisma that made Juan Carlos so liked.

Frankly? I don't care as long as he does the job well and I have no beef towards him as an actual King so far.

The problem is that it looks as if his wife is dragging him down and they are a unit, a King is only as strong as his Queen is, specially in a country like Spain where they have to earn things day after day since republican/separatist feeling grows stronger as time goes by.

The biggest problem I see is that Letizia grew up as a republican and you get the feeling she doesn't really believe in the monarchy as an institution, only in what she can get from it, that's the feeling of many people I've talked to, it's not that she's a commoner, it's that she isn't putting all her heart in this enterprise because she's never truly believed in it. And you REALLY need to believe to get a royal house working.

Also, the fact that she was living with one man (David Tejera) and dating Felipe at the same time doesn't speak very well about her tbh, specially since Tejera found out about the cheating via TV when F&L got engaged :ermm:

Seems as if there will always be cheating in the House of Borbón :nonono:

In my personal opinion, Felipe could and should have chosen better and now he has to step in make sure things like these don't keep happening, improve the image people have of his wife but it will be an uphill battle, people haven't warmed up to her in almost 14 years and that "dislike" might be extended to her daughters when they grow up if they don't take measures to avoid that from happening.

Last edited:
Leidi, Leonor is getting quite cruel reviews in social networks, and probably today the girl will pay at school... probably many expected the first public error of the girl to attack her. Froilán is a good example of how the press and Spanish commentators can be cruel to a child.

Awful. :sad:

LadyFinn says the right thing. In this video they reproduce how Queen Sofia tells the photographer of the Royal House "now, now". Sofia is who while the family greets people is looking for the moment to approach the girls and take an unnecessary photo that is for herself.

laSexta analiza el vídeo completo del encontronazo entre la reina Letizia y la reina Sofía

What I see is Letizia making a very natural gesture with Leonor's hair and it's Sofia who severely reacts. The strain seems to be with Sofia, not Letizia. I agree. Ouch! :sad: That's serious animus coming from Sofia!

The press was meters away, and they were surrounded by bodyguards and official media. So probably the recording spread by twitter is a zoom of the official video, which also cuts the image so that you can not see how Sofia forces her granddaughter to stop shaking hands, and as Letizia does not move like crazy that she is going to greet the lady or how she stays in the middle because on the other side are the bodyguards and Juan Carlos. The video is modified to sell a story, and people will see that video with that story in mind and will not see the real sequence.

Interesting. I believe you. These things are so easily done by those who know how. :sad:

It is not the first video that appears manipulated or misinterpreted to attack Letizia. A few years ago they also sold some images such as the scandal of Sofia to Letizia for behaving badly, also criticizing Letizia. Weeks later the real video appeared, and not only the row was non-existent, but Sofia did not even address Letizia. Evidently nobody corrected the information.

Important context. Thank you. :cool:

The Spanish press promotes an image of Queen Sofia as a victim .... victim of the unfaithful husband, victim of Letizia, victim of the Urdangarín scandal ... and that makes people show affection for her. For many years Queen Sofia was considered a cold and distant person, only her role as a grandmother changed that vision in the media, and she knew how to exploit that role with continuous family photographic poses. Although some grandchildren, like Froilán, were very uncomfortable in those situations, she always wanted to show that image of grandmother and grandchildren, and the press was delighted with it, and although sometimes it was forced, they did not criticize it.

Letizia will always be the weak target of the Royal Family and who will receive the cruelest critics ... she is the commoner who has reached the top, and that in Spain is not forgiven.

About Cristina, I have only said that this video has been a good distraction so that the press does not speak of her presence yesterday in Madrid. For months there is a certain campaign from some sector to promote her image facing the entrance of Iñaki in prison .... and Letizia is always marked as the culprit of the absences of Cristina. So this video, at this time has served the purpose very well.

Thank you for all this context, though so very sad. :sad:

Of course some people can continue attacking Letizia, but one thing she didn't do was dragging Felipe down, actually now Felipe is extremely popular. Felipe has always been a good person. since he married Letizia, he has improved his speeches, his communication skill, most importantly, Felipe is secure enough to make his own decisions even though it was against the will of his parents (ex. Inaki's business scandal at the beginning). Felipe is no longer a Mama's boy, he is a man now. Letizia also has a strong personality, but in the family Felipe is the one with the last word.

Some videos purposely blocked the handshake Letizia had with a woman on the right hand corner to make it as if Letizia was walking back and forth blocking her MIL from taking pictures.
It's exactly like that, and obviously that's done in purpose. In the first video that initiated the scandal you just watched Letizia walking in front of the group withno context.

Leidi, I have seen mean comments towards Leonor in social media. But it was actually not social media whom I was referring too ;)

Of course some people can continue attacking Letizia, but one thing she didn't do was dragging Felipe down, actually now Felipe is extremely popular. Felipe has always been a good person. since he married Letizia, he has improved his speeches, his communication skill, most importantly, Felipe is secure enough to make his own decisions even though it was against the will of his parents (ex. Inaki's business scandal at the beginning). Felipe is no longer a Mama's boy, he is a man now. Letizia also has a strong personality, but in the family Felipe is the one with the last word.

He's not really seen as a strong man in Spain tbh, not to the level people expect him to be, specially since he's been pretty absent from the Catalan crisis issue and that could have been a great moment to present himself as the glue that holds the country together.

I think Juan Carlos was a good king but is not a good man (he did had to deal with tough things like the Transition, 23F, etc), Felipe is a good man but I don't know if he'll be gutsy enough to be a good king, only time will tell.

And this whole can of worms has opened since Felipe got married, the Royal Family had a much better image beforehand.

If you read Hola or the Daily Mail, they'll paint an ideal world where Letizia has 99% approval and everyone loves the monarchy and no, that's not how it goes.

If it was, we wouldn't see Juan Carlos and Sofía around all the time.

We as royal watchers tend to idealize royalty and royal houses but that's not always the case with people in the street and those are the ones who vote, who decide and who can ultimately kick the royals out if push comes to shove.

We've already had two republics, who says we won't have a third? (I wouldn't like that but I see the situation in Spain quite complicated).

Last edited:

Sofia is on record in her biography saying that if your child wants to marry an unsuitable person, what else can you do than giving support in the end.

The Kings fought off a lot of girlfrinds, most notably Eva Sannum, Letizia was one too many but I have no doubt she would have been the choice of the Kings as a divorcee and her character what imo is not very well suited for her position, I am sure she'd have made a great career in journalism but I don't see her well suited as Queen.

I never thought their relation was so cordial as they appear to make it in public (only in the later years), in the beginning Sofia never missed an opportunity to show who's boss and who's not. Letizia probably still has to put up with a lot, even today, because of the girls, position and public image, but she made her bed and now has to lie in it, for the rest of her life.

It is inevitable that the girls will be exposed to critizism, overprotecting them won't help in the long run. All gestures were unfortunate, Sofia wanting it her way, Letizia probably disagreeing, Leonor slapping the hand of her grandmother away, Felipe caught in the middle not knowing what to do.

Felipe has some goodwill but I don't think he'll ever reach his father's peak popularity because he lacks that larger-than-life personality and charisma that made Juan Carlos so liked.

Frankly? I don't care as long as he does the job well and I have no beef towards him as an actual King so far.

The problem is that it looks as if his wife is dragging him down and they are a unit, a King is only as strong as his Queen is, specially in a country like Spain where they have to earn things day after day since republican/separatist feeling grows stronger as time goes by.

The biggest problem I see is that Letizia grew up as a republican and you get the feeling she doesn't really believe in the monarchy as an institution, only in what she can get from it, that's the feeling of many people I've talked to, it's not that she's a commoner, it's that she isn't putting all her heart in this enterprise because she's never truly believed in it. And you REALLY need to believe to get a royal house working.

Also, the fact that she was living with one man (David Tejera) and dating Felipe at the same time doesn't speak very well about her tbh, specially since Tejera found out about the cheating via TV when F&L got engaged :ermm:

Seems as if there will always be cheating in the House of Borbón :nonono:

In my personal opinion, Felipe could and should have chosen better and now he has to step in make sure things like these don't keep happening, improve the image people have of his wife but it will be an uphill battle, people haven't warmed up to her in almost 14 years and that "dislike" might be extended to her daughters when they grow up if they don't take measures to avoid that from happening.

Wonder why Letizia is not endearing herself to the Spanish public who is basically giving her the royal lifestyle? Spain is struggling she should work hard. This role is for life. I too have had problems with William and Kate as well. She can do amazing impact and give herself a legacy just like her husband.

Sofia is on record in her biography saying that if your child wants to marry an unsuitable person, what else can you do than giving support in the end.

The Kings fought off a lot of girlfrinds, most notably Eva Sannum, Letizia was one too many but I have no doubt she would have been the choice of the Kings as a divorcee and her character what imo is not very well suited for her position, I am sure she'd have made a great career in journalism but I don't see her well suited as Queen.

I never thought their relation was so cordial as they appear to make it in public (only in the later years), in the beginning Sofia never missed an opportunity to show who's boss and who's not. Letizia probably still has to put up with a lot, even today, because of the girls, position and public image, but she made her bed and now has to lie in it, for the rest of her life.

It is inevitable that the girls will be exposed to critizism, overprotecting them won't help in the long run. All gestures were unfortunate, Sofia wanting it her way, Letizia probably disagreeing, Leonor slapping the hand of her grandmother away, Felipe caught in the middle not knowing what to do.

100% agree.

Wonder why Letizia is not endearing herself to the Spanish public who is basically giving her the royal lifestyle? Spain is struggling she should work hard. This role is for life. I too have had problems with William and Kate as well. She can do amazing impact and give herself a legacy just like her husband.

Several people I've talked to in Spain think she has an inferiority complex and thus she wants to stay like "above" everyone else,"above" everything and that includes consistently working with people.

I am not a psychologist or anything and that might be wrong but that's the vibe she's giving a lot of people in the country and that isn't good, she as a Queen cannot show those kind of weaknesses.

Last edited:
Another thing ... if the family continues attending this Mass and posing for the photographers, it is because Sofía wants it. Sofia and her sister spend these days on vacation in Palma, and although the rest of the Royal Family does not, they go to this mass so that the press has their photos and nobody questions the use of the palace by Sofia.

If King Felipe continues to maintain the agreement for the use of Marivent is for Queen Sofia ... I think that for him and Letizia, it would be easier and better for their image to reach another type of agreement.

Spaniards love to criticize, Sofía began to receive less criticism when Letizia arrived, and probably as the girls grow they will be the target of criticism.

As I said Letizia's problem is that she is a commoner, a normal woman who is at the top ... and that makes her an easy object of criticism. Her case is similar to that of some Spanish artists who succeed abroad and who in Spain are criticized harshly (Penélope Cruz, for example). She is also a person focused on her role and family, that seems not to have wanted to enter certain games of power and press.

The truth is that from the beginning the Royal House kept her in a secondary role, and that was used by the press to frivolize her ... and they have not yet managed to reverse that situation. And the first one frustrated with that situation is Letizia. She is supporting many important causes, but the dynamics of the press is still the same, there are dozens of websites that talk about her clothes, but they focus little attention on what she does and what she says.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom