The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-11-2018, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Froilán is always involved in this type of mess ... on the one hand, it is his own personality, on the other, the portrait that the press has always made of him, and which makes him an easy target for attacks and so it has been since childhood.
I agree; I'm not surprised that Froilan made these comments on the train, in fact I had expected him to get involved in the debacle sooner. I still wonder when this whole situation will die down.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-11-2018, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
That news is from last Sunday, before Sofia got her picture with the two girls... I do not think that from now on they have any different plans for the girl, than they had before.

Froilán is always involved in this type of mess ... on the one hand, it is his own personality, on the other, the portrait that the press has always made of him, and which makes him an easy target for attacks and so it has been since childhood.
Still interesting to think he could have been the prince of Asturias (and Elena queen) had they decided on equal primogeniture with the return of the monarchy/in the constitution in the 70s.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

That was never gonna happen in Spain in 1975
Old 04-11-2018, 05:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
And since no one is going to touch the Constitution with a ten-inch pole, it still won't happen.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

And this probably the wrong thread to discuss the merits of an Elena queenship
Old 04-12-2018, 05:18 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Actually, I believe there were talks about it and some disagreements back in the 70's, but in the end they kept the traditional Castilian succession to the Crown by request of Juan Carlos. It would've been changed already if the Crown wasn't so protected in the Constitution. Even a tiny little change that everyone agrees on would require a hard long process of modification.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Courtier

I just feel bad for Felipe.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Tensions Within the Family-
https://elpais.com/elpais/2018/04/09...mpression=true

A.W. TOZER
Old 04-14-2018, 09:21 AM
Gentry

This article is 4 years old but has some interesting bits about relationships within the family.
https://elpais.com/elpais/2014/05/21...51_931376.html
Old 04-14-2018, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Quote:
Letizia “does not want to accept that the monarchy is a full time job. It is not a job you work from 8am to 3pm and then go home. It continues to be difficult for her to accept that a queen does not have a private life.
I always thought that Letizia was far better suited to a life a la Sara Carbonero, a famous TV personality married to a man who understands the spotlight and is probably famous in his own right (not necessarily a footballer ) but free to do what she wants, what to wear, speak her own mind, be the protagonist and control the news instead of being forced into an institution/family that stands against everything Letizia brings to the table.

Queen Sofia once said the only thing the Letizia had to learn was that one attitude was impossible in her position: No. Me. Apetece. = I can't be bothered. Her face or body language very often tells us the opposite.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumuki View Post
Actually, I believe there were talks about it and some disagreements back in the 70's, but in the end they kept the traditional Castilian succession to the Crown by request of Juan Carlos. It would've been changed already if the Crown wasn't so protected in the Constitution. Even a tiny little change that everyone agrees on would require a hard long process of modification.
If anyone has more information on this, I have a couple of questions, which in order not to sidetrack this thread are posted here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2092716
Old 04-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Keep in mind that, back in 1975, no European monarchy had equal primogeniture. Sweden was the first country to introduce it in 1980, followed by the Netherlands shortly thereafter if I am not mistaken. It was highly unlikely that conservative Spain would be the pioneer .

On the other hand, once the constitution was approved, changing it is exceedingly difficult, which discourages any proposed reform. It might have been considered if Felipe and Letizia had had a son after the infantas, but, since that did not happen, there was no sense or urgency.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

Queen Sofia once said the only thing the Letizia had to learn was that one attitude was impossible in her position: No. Me. Apetece. = I can't be bothered. Her face or body language very often tells us the opposite.
Is this the reason why Letizia is unpopular with some members of the public?
Old 04-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I always thought that Letizia was far better suited to a life a la Sara Carbonero, a famous TV personality married to a man who understands the spotlight and is probably famous in his own right (not necessarily a footballer ) but free to do what she wants, what to wear, speak her own mind, be the protagonist and control the news instead of being forced into an institution/family that stands against everything Letizia brings to the table.

Could you help me with this? Her face and body language are the opposite of what?

I'm muddled on what is being conveyed here. Are you saying that Letizia has an attitude of "I can't be bothered"? Or that Sofia said that Letizia has that attitude and must un-learn that attitude? Many thanks for clarity.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Could you help me with this? Her face and body language are the opposite of what?

I'm muddled on what is being conveyed here. Are you saying that Letizia has an attitude of "I can't be bothered"? Or that Sofia said that Letizia has that attitude and must un-learn that attitude? Many thanks for clarity.
I assume Duke of Marmalade tried to say that Letizia needed to unlearn the "I can't be bothered' attitude (according to Sophia) but that, unfortunately, Letizia still shows exactly that type of behavior/expression.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I assume Duke of Marmalade tried to say that Letizia needed to unlearn the "I can't be bothered' attitude (according to Sophia) but that, unfortunately, Letizia still shows exactly that type of behavior/expression.
Thank you, Somebody. But how does she exhibit that, I wonder?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Thanks Somebody

Sofia stated that the one thing a royal couldn't do is not to be bothered but has to pull through no matter if you like it, it pleases you or you feel good. If you don't, it can't show. She said that this was the only thing that Letizia needed to take in.

IMO very often, especially in super formal events or in those that border private character, eg photocalls, it shows that Letizia is uncomfortable, comes across as stiff and forced.

There is also a lot of critizism in Spain that Letizia's aim is to draw a strict line between 'royal' and 'private' but the expectation is to be Queen 24/7 and not only when you have to 'work' as Queen. Sofia has the image of being the ultimate professional, true or not, always ready when needed in a professional manner incl her face only showing positive emotions.

https://www.elconfidencial.com/espan...horas_1546196/
https://translate.google.de/translat...ras_1546196%2F
Old 04-15-2018, 02:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think Letizia's problem is, that she didn't have a clear role as the Princess of Asturias, she wasn't allowed to do much, to have things and causes of her own. She wasn't prepared well to be queen some day. But then she was natural. When Letizia became Queen, she decided that she wants to be perfect. Letizia isn't natural with people like some royals are, that's why she looks often stiff and uncomfortable. And with trying to do everything perfect, she has become even more unnatural.
I liked Letizia a lot when she married Felipe and was the Princess of Asturias. I think Letizia tries sincerely to work for Spain and the Spaniards, but I don't like her anymore.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:

Exactly.
That's why she comes off as bored, stiff, stressed out in acts.
People pick that right off the bat and don't like it.
She never learned that in PUBLIC, having bad days all the time is not something she was allowed to.
In PRIVATE, she can do whatever she wants but when she's representing the Crown, she has to be willing and she doesn't appear that way a lot of times.
And if she had like one or two days of "meh" in her public appareances (she's human after all and no one can be perfect all the time) it would be fine but it's like 9/10 times she seemingly doesn't want to do what she has to do/wants to be at X place for her role
Old 04-15-2018, 03:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Letizia has always appeared fully prepared and rather enthusiastic about the causes she got involved such as rare disease or fight against cancer. On solemn events, she appeared more serious, maybe that's what she thought she should be since they were serious events. Some people didn't like her clothes (I really hope she should get rid of Felipe Varela), then automatically associated her bad clothes choice to her dislike of the events.That's a bit too much interpretation on their own. Maybe she just had poor fashion sense ? When she was the PoA, she was being criticized for wearing pants or too casual to some of the military events, some immediately spread the rumors that she hated military. That was totally false. Felipe and Letizia have always had close contacts with his military friends and their families since they think those military men are candid and don't come with an interest.

But she did look like she disliked Mallorca for whatever reasons. Mallorca has also been the place where most of incidents or criticism happened on her. Since the SRF is not going to change the summer vacation residence soon, she should just pretend to like Mallorca a bit, tries to be as good an 'actress' as her MIL (who was said to be the best 'actress' in Spain).

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar