The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-10-2018, 05:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
And frankly, Felipe has to make a choice: either he spends his holidays in Mallorca with all his family, even if Letizia hates the yacht club environment and his friends there or convinces his mother to go somewhere else like Greece with her brother and sister.
Wouldn't that be considered Felipe's private business and not based on public opinion where he lives and where he vacations and such? I don't know how things are in Spain but I've never heard of public opinion ruling private lives anywhere.

And yes, its a serious question.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Son Vent is close to Marivent, but originally it is not the same property, so it can be separated as it was in the past. As I say the properties do not have the same owner, one belongs to the Government of the Balearic Islands and the other belongs to the Army.

La Almudaina is a historic building, it is not a habitable building.

King Felipe has started by opening the Marivent gardens, probably he wants to do something progressive to please everyone. As I said Juan Carlos and Sofia accepted many favors there in the past (like the yacht that the businessmen gave to the king)... Juan Carlos stopped going to Mallorca and left the problem to others.

Old 04-10-2018, 05:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Existing in a 'fish-bowl' as they do [amongst SO fiercely critical a public,with so vicious a press], is it any wonder the Kings feel the need to re-assure their children during their public appearances ?
I am not a parent, but I am an Uncle, and I was always hyper-vigilant when with my young nieces in big crowds. To me it is completely understandable, that Queen Letizia [especially] who has been the subject of so much HATE, should be paranoid and deeply worried for her children...

Her instincts MUST be to want to 'protect', even if the harsh reality is that she cannot... and that [in the long run], she has to learn to 'let go, and trust' her daughters to the 'tender mercies' of the Spanish public'..
Old 04-10-2018, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent

I really don't see what the Royal Family spending time at Mallorca does for tourism. With more than 15 million visitors every year the island really doesn't need more tourists and some inhabitants of Palma are protesting against the amounts of tourists they receive every year.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:37 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, but Juan Carlos and Sofia arrived there in the 70s, when tourism was not what it is now ... and for decades Mallorca attracted a high class tourism attracted by the royal presence. For that reason the political authorities and the businessmen did not want them to leave, and in many cases they exceeded in satisfying their whims... It was also a good way to promote their good image as politicians or businessmen.

Always remember that the origin of the Noos case is in Urdangarín and in his business with politicians in Palma...
Old 04-10-2018, 05:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
[...] That's the biggest beef everyone seems to have, a massive complex in Mallorca that is seldomly used nowadays and that is not open for people's enjoyment. [...]
It is really not a "massive complex". Picture
Old 04-10-2018, 05:58 AM
Courtier

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is really not a "massive complex". Picture
You're missing the gardens and other facilities plus the private part of the beach...
Old 04-10-2018, 06:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Has anyone ever thought about that the reason for the Queen , Catherine ZJ etc holding the hands of their daughters in public is that the children get scared by the crowds and the press? On the same day as the Palma incident we had little James Severn crying outside St George's Chapel and last year Vincent of Denmark started crying at the photo opp on his first day at school.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
This is a photo of Zarzuela, not Marivent.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
La Zarzuela is near Madrid. In the middle of Spain. No beach at all.
We are talking about Marivent on the island of Mallorca.
This is the correct aerial picture: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Hdk8jM97ll...VENT-PLANO.JPG
Old 04-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Has anyone ever thought about that the reason for the Queen , Catherine ZJ etc holding the hands of their daughters in public is that the children get scared by the crowds and the press? On the same day as the Palma incident we had little James Severn crying outside St George's Chapel and last year Vincent of Denmark started crying at the photo opp on his first day at school.
Outstanding insight! Thank you, thank you for bringing this up! I have been thinking that Letizia (and Felipe, and Sofia btw) touching and holding hands with the children is a way to keep the girls focused and within the circle of family intimacy in the face of the very non-intimate experience of being in front of the crowds and cameras.

Braving the cameras and crowds can be disorienting for seasoned adults, imagine the experience for youngsters. Note that all royals hold their children's hands and will have their hands on their children one way or another when facing crowds.

There are two very famous royal princes who were 'required' to face crowds very young. One of those princes is now a parent and fiercely protective of his children. The photo-op for the first day of school for his first born child was not in front of a crowd for example, but just one photographer. These choices by someone who has lived exposure to the crowds as a youngster should not go unnoticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't like it when I see Queen Sofia or Queen Letizia holding hands with both girls, or any celebrity doing it. They are teenagers now, not toddlers, for me it looks ridiculous. Kids can stand for themselves at that age and the only explaination for me is that holding hands with a teenage kid is good PR, like 'look how close I am to my child'.
This I cannot understand as the children are not yours and you have no idea what it is like to face a crowd of cameras (I assume). If a child is pulling away in such a situation (afraid of what others will say because they are holding hands with their parent ) I would say the parent has greater concerns (as would I) for the child. The girls btw are not teenagers (yet).

No one can judge how a parent decides to manage the significant psychological onslaught a child experiences in front of crowds and cameras. The parent must be the judge imo, not the opinion of the public. (I have never been the focus of crowds and cameras but I have been with another who is and I can vouch for the exceedingly disorienting experience: thank the heavens for the 'handlers' because it's hard to stay 'on task', at least for me).
Old 04-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post

There are two very famous royal princes who were 'required' to face crowds very young. One of those princes is now a parent and fiercely protective of his children. The photo-op for the first day of school was not in front of a crowd for example, and just one photographer. These choices by someone who has lived exposure to the crowds as a youngster should not go unnoticed.
And didn't Felipe balk in his youth at Sofia forcing him into posing for the cameras more than he liked? Perhaps his reaction to his mother's lack of protection for him at that age has influenced his and Letizia's decisions to more closely protect their own daughters. And perhaps the reason Sofia doesn't see the girls isn't so much because of Letizia but because of the kind of mother she was to Felipe.

It's so easy to always blame the one who comes in from the outside of a family, but often it's the spouse who has the family/experiential history whose opinions truly drive a desire to forge a different parenting path.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I repeat...
Existing in a 'fish-bowl' as they do [amongst SO fiercely critical a public,with so vicious a press], is it any wonder the Kings feel the need to re-assure their children during their public appearances ?
I am not a parent, but I am an Uncle, and I was always hyper-vigilant when with my young nieces in big crowds. To me it is completely understandable, that Queen Letizia [especially] who has been the subject of so much HATE, should be paranoid and deeply worried for her children...

Her instincts MUST be to want to 'protect', even if the harsh reality is that she cannot... and that [in the long run], she has to learn to 'let go, and trust' her daughters to the 'tender mercies' of the Spanish public'..
Old 04-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Courtier

I get it they need to have a bit of privacy time but can’t they all just be like QEII? I admire her deeply because she understands her role and her duty and doesn’t complain about privacy and the media ect... she gets on with it esp as she lives in luxury and privileges above high class society!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Queen Sofia is not short of money she could buy a nice villa on the island and live there quite comfortably with her sister Princess Irene .

That way the queen mother doesn't need to reside at the Marivent and gets her Mediterranean air she loves so deeply.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Queen Sofia is not short of money she could buy a nice villa on the island and live there quite comfortably with her sister Princess Irene .

That way the queen mother doesn't need to reside at the Marivent and gets her Mediterranean air she loves so deeply.
I could definitely roll with this and we'll get rid of the pesky "we pay for this with our taxes" situation.

Plus we'll all get to enjoy the Marivent complex and it's history and view
Old 04-10-2018, 01:37 PM
Royal Highness

Loonytick: Thank you for a voice of reason here, I applaud Felipe and Letizia for the way they protect their children and if some in the family do not see the grandchildren when they *want* maybe it is because the girls are busy at that time with other things in their schedules? And how do we really know *for sure* that Sofia does not see the girls when she wants? Does a picture have to be taken all the time to prove that she see them, is it always a photo op to be had to prove what?????

We here see and read all the time how other royal families protect their children from being out and about in the public eye, in this day and age of terrorism and anger is it any wonder that they do so? Spain is a hot bed of problems and the country as seen it's share of terrorism, so even in a church no place is totally safe anymore regardless of who is around. Thank goodness that royals have the means to protect their children and don't we all wish the same for all parents and children.

By the way, is Sofia in Greece now, avoiding the problems of Spain? Isn't this one of the times she goes to Greece to be with family after Easter? If wrong please just say so, all royals deserve time off and vacations even Felipe and Letizia.

Even though JC has retired from being in the public eye, maybe someone should inform his wife of that. I like what Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands did when she retired, she took a less title as some one said here and God bless her for she gave her son and his wife full responsibly for the country.....maybe Spain should perhaps look into doing the same for then there would be no questions about who is King or Queen......as I see it now the country has 2 kings and 2 queens who do not get along and that creates problems.

Times change and I in my own opinion think Spain is having growing problems with those changes. JC/Sofia are of the old world with old ideas and attitudes, Felipe and Letizia are of the new world with new ideas and attitudes and that is clashing in the country and the media is not there to do anything except keep the status quo and the old ways of doing things for that gives them power and money.......MONEY with the media is the name of the game as we all know.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I think Sofia is still in Spain she was at the hospital with king Juan Carlos only yesterday
Old 04-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Sofia was not in the hospital yesterday, she was on Sunday. And it would not be strange that she had traveled to Greece ... it's what she has done for years, be the official holidays in Palma and the week after going to Greece, nobody asked where she was.

The easy option is to attack Queen Letizia. But the journalists closest to Zarzuela for years and some authors of books about Felipe, have said on several occasions that he is very protective of the girls, and that he has never wanted them to have a childhood as exposed as he had.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Sofia was not in the hospital yesterday, she was on Sunday. And it would not be strange that she had traveled to Greece ... it's what she has done for years, be the official holidays in Palma and the week after going to Greece, nobody asked where she was.

The easy option is to attack Queen Letizia. But the journalists closest to Zarzuela for years and some authors of books about Felipe, have said on several occasions that he is very protective of the girls, and that he has never wanted them to have a childhood as exposed as he had.
Was Felipe and his sisters that exposed growing up?

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar