The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2018, 04:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Sofia was primarily responsible for what happened, for wanting to do things her way. When she wants to improve Cristina's image, she has no problem contacting the friendly media to do so. If she had spoken with a friendly journalist and in the first person had downplayed what happened and would have recognized that she did not do well either ... this would have stopped.

But this forced performance is useless, Queen Letizia and Princess Leonor do not benefit because everything is forced and people know it... and because all the headlines say "they ask for forgiveness". But the lie created against them that they were the only ones to blame for the incident, remains intact.

Staged or not, I am glad they did it. Letizia opening the door for Queen Sofia and Leonor holding her hands are the best way to say they are sorry and show respect for the elders. I expect the controversy to fade after that.

Old 04-08-2018, 04:08 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This thread has been cleaned up and is now re-opened.

A few posts containing personal attacks on other posters have been removed. Replies to such posts have been removed as well.

If you have any questions you can contact the Spanish moderators.

Old 04-09-2018, 02:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I don't know if this is true but there are reports that JC did not want Letizia in his room at the hospital. The media still seems to be in overdrive.
https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=
Monumental cabreo de don Juan Carlos: vetó a Letizia en su visita al hospital - Informalia.es

Sofia posing with the Marichalar grandkids as well, they came to visit abuelo in hospital
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_es...oria-hospital/
Old 04-09-2018, 02:56 AM
Courtier

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't know if this is true but there are reports that JC did not want Letizia in his room at the hospital. The media still seems to be in overdrive.
https://translate.google.com/transla...tml&edit-text=
Monumental cabreo de don Juan Carlos: vetó a Letizia en su visita al hospital - Informalia.es

Sofia posing with the Marichalar grandkids as well, they came to visit abuelo in hospital
https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_es...oria-hospital/
I really wonder why all these leaks are coming out, Zarzuela is notoriously known for censoring all the bad press/situations around the Royal House (see the tantrum they thrown when the Palma Mass Incident images were out) and suddenly we know a lot of stuff about their personal relationships

And they all point out at the same person...

(I don't think this is Letizia's doing tbh, more like some people in the family fed up with her for X or Y reason, not one but several since it is getting pretty obvious).
Old 04-09-2018, 04:05 AM
Royal Highness

Oh my god, the whole situation is really ridiculous.
I still cannot comment the Video, despite looking at it several times... it is still confusing and intriguing for me - leaving a bad feeling behind.
However:
I thought they really made it with the "Follow Up PR at the hospial" - great Comment btw. from Mbruno - "they said sorry and showed respect for the elders".

....and now the JC "incident".

Although only rumor and nothing has been confirmed,it really could have happened like this, that JC gave his veto. To me he always disliked Letizia and I also think, that he made her live really bad during her time as Crown Princess. This could have been another pinprick of revenge from his side.... Poor Letizia - from a man, who still cannot behave.

And: censoring bad press only helped in the past. I had the impression, since the horrible elephant shooting the common agreement with the press censoring bad news on the King has been abrogated This is also an "achievement" from the old King.

Bye Bine
Old 04-09-2018, 04:14 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Juan Carlos has been seen rude to Queen Sofia in public, there have been several incidents, well documented in the press.

And we don't know what happened when JC was in hospital after the Corina scandal/elephant shooting, Sofia went to visit him but maybe she just entered the hospital, had a coffee and left, without even seeing him but the photos say 'Queen visits King'. There were reports back then that Corina was at the hospital at the same time.

It's all about PR, who knows what happens behind closed doors, appearances can be deciving
Old 04-09-2018, 04:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Letizia, the queen that we do not deserve

Letizia, la reina que no nos merecemos | EL MUNDO

https://translate.google.es/translat...-text=&act=url

This probably represents the opinion of the young women that the 8M mobilized the country ... they do not like the role that Sofia represents as a woman, and they see that Letizia is criticized terribly, when for example Juan Carlos had much worse behavior over the years. It is the generation that believes that Letizia can represent them, and not just be a decorative vase.

I defend Letizia

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/es/cul...sofia-defensa/

Old 04-09-2018, 05:21 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Letizia, the queen that we do not deserve

Letizia, la reina que no nos merecemos | EL MUNDO

This probably represents the opinion of the young women that the 8M mobilized the country ... they do not like the role that Sofia represents as a woman, and they see that Letizia is criticized terribly, when for example Juan Carlos had much worse behavior over the years. It is the generation that believes that Letizia can represent them, and not just be a decorative vase.

I defend Letizia

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/es/cul...sofia-defensa/

A very good one!
BYe Bine
Old 04-09-2018, 05:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I defend Letizia
That article 'says it all'..

The supine and compliant ways of the emeritus Queen, in no way reflect a 'modern woman', nor serve the requirements of a Monarch's wife in the 21st century...
Old 04-09-2018, 05:49 AM
Royal Highness

As a strong independent woman I also defend Queen Letizia. I grew up in the same type of household where women were looked down on, fought it my entire life and now can be what I want. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-09-2018, 09:22 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
That article 'says it all'..

The supine and compliant ways of the emeritus Queen, in no way reflect a 'modern woman', nor serve the requirements of a Monarch's wife in the 21st century...
The 21st C should not have any person who is head of state by deduction of a womb anyway. So "modern" will never ever fit in "monarchy".
Old 04-09-2018, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The 21st C should not have any person who is head of state by deduction of a womb anyway.
Surely THAT is to be decided upon by the populace of the Nation concerned ?
Old 04-09-2018, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Equality between men and women is not a question of modernity, it is a matter of common sense. The same attitude can not be condemned in one, and attacked in another.

In the Monarchy the protocol gives a place to each one in the framework of the institutional role, but that does not mean that in human relations one is above another, they must be equal beings and with the same rights.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Posts about how these awful commoners are ruining Europe's royal families have been removed. Replies to deleted posts have been removed as well.

As all regular posters are well aware, the discussion of commoners in royal families can be discussed in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...bles-5585.html

Judging from the high amount of complaints we have received over the years, few of our members are interested in hearing the same argument by the same poster for the zillionth time at each and every opportunity available.

Those who are interested in discussing the topic further can do so in the thread that I linked.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Felipe is the one who should be the voice of reason between his mother and his wife. It seems he hasn't told his mother to respect his wife and his mother to respect his wife and her place beside him. From the comments on some the videos of the incident I've seen Leonor is getting some backlash. Its not the she pushed her grandmother's away its the force with which she did it. She was reacting on instinct to being crowded and tugged. The whole thing is unfortunate. I can see culpability AND the reasons for everyone's behavior. Regardless of the PR I hope that some peace can be achieved in this family. So sad.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
They are doing something to address the horrible situation. And that means they have listened to the criticism.
Good!

It may also be an indication that King Felipe (about time) has put his foot down and told his two Queens in no uncertain terms to behave while in public. - As they should under any circumstances!

You can say it's over the top and that it fools no one or that it humiliates one or the other, perhaps it is, I don't care. To me it's the intention that matters.
And the SRF have today at least shown that they intend to correct the PR-blunder and that I find positive.

Finally, I do not buy the argument that Leonor should in any way have been responsible!
Leonor had no problems with her grandmother before the incident, she had no problems afterwards and she seemingly have no problems today.
It was only when her mother and grandmother pressed their noses together right in front of her that she objected.

I'm sure Leonor will throw the odd tantrum from time to time and slam the odd door. (Or she will in the future...) But she didn't at the cathedral.
Very much agree with you, particularly regarding Leonor.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Normally nothing royal related makes the papers here unless its to do with the British RF or Monaco's Princely Family,I think the last time a Spanish royal was mentioned was in 2014 when King Juan Carlos abdicated.

https://www.independent.ie/style/cel...-36786173.html
Old 04-09-2018, 02:24 PM
Courtier

I rather take issue with the idea that being a "modern, independent, 21st Century woman" somehow includes deliberately humiliating your rather elderly mother-in-law and former queen in front of the world.

News to me as a 21st Century woman!
Old 04-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I would have thought a modern 21st century woman would want to be above arguing with their mother in law in public.

Honestly, to me the two most interesting things to come out of this are :
a) how differently people can see and interpret the same incident

b) how the Spanish monarchy has, like many others in Europe, seemingly become an ongoing family drama for the press to comment upon rather than a respected important state institution (that isn't a dig at the new King & Queen at all - we saw the change begin and perhaps even take a key role in Juan Carlos abdicating)
Old 04-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Juan Carlos and Sofia did PLENTY to bring the throne into disrepute during the last years of his reign- he by his adultery and other misdemeanours and she for her notorious [and misplaced] sympathy for the Infanta Cristina and her criminal of a husband..

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar