The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-07-2018, 12:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetticoatLane View Post
Why on earth should a picture not be taken of a doting grandmother personally with her two young granddaughters, whom we are led to believe she doesn't see very often, especially given thousands of other photos had already been taken that day and would be later? Juan Carlos was in all those pose shots of the family, maybe she prefers not to have one privately with him?
I have always thought that queen Sofia is a devoted believer, and I could not believe when I saw her especially wanting to pose grandiloquent for a photo inside a church like that. I'm not a believer, but I would never do something like that, I have a respect for religious places because they are very important for many people.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I have always thought that queen Sofia is a devoted believer, and I could not believe when I saw her especially wanting to pose grandiloquent for a photo inside a church like that. I'm not a believer, but I would never do something like that, I have a respect for religious places because they are very important for many people.
As a queen she is used to prople taking pictures of her and her family in church. So, I don't think that makes her less devote. And on these non-essential issues , what is important to one believer might be irrelevant to other believers.

Personally, I agree that make church attendance a media circus isn't the way to go about it, so unless a service has national importance there is no need for video or photographs of royal family members in church.

Old 04-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
If you don't want the grandparents to take pictures with the girls, don't bring them along.
If true, that's a bit childish isn't it? Does'nt Sofia have anyting better to do than take photos? Why not just have fun with her granddaugthers..
Old 04-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Heir Apparent

It is (normally) the only photo opp a year where the grandparents pose with these grandchildren. The summer one is only the king's immediate family and the National Day isn't attended by the emeritus couple.

Juan Carlos even especially came to Mallorca so pictures could be taken of three generations in the year in which both he and Sophia celebrate their 80th birthdays.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Interesting pictures today, the Felipe, Letizia and Sofia all going to see JC in hospital. The 3 arrived in the same car with Letizia even opening the door for Sofia.
https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...urgery,_madrid
Old 04-07-2018, 12:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Interesting pictures today, the Felipe, Letizia and Sofia all going to see JC in hospital. The 3 arrived in the same car with Letizia even opening the door for Sofia.
It seems so forced.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Their PR team at work. I sincerely hope that behind closed doors they are also working towards a better relationship.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
If true, that's a bit childish isn't it? Does'nt Sofia have anyting better to do than take photos? Why not just have fun with her granddaugthers..
They are not taking photo's themselves. On Easter Sunday the royal family attends Mass in the huge cathedral of Palma. The church and the square were cramped and the royals interacted with well wishers, waved here and there and when the official photographer wanted to make a picture of the royal family, grandma started to assemble and Letizia started to sabotage. That is all.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Their PR team at work. I sincerely hope that behind closed doors they are also working towards a better relationship.
I don't think they have a PR team. And I hope they do not hire one. Just remain true to one self. The best proof is Letizia. Once a professional in communication. And now, look at her...
Old 04-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
It seems so forced.
I thought the same thing... as if Letizia was asked by her PR team to act in a friendly manner towards Sofia after "cathedral gate" (the PR team probably viewed this as a great opportunity to reshape Letizia's public image). The two queens seem overwhelmingly friendly towards one another and one wouldn't think that the incident last Sunday had happened.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
It might be PR-driven and it might be the only real option they had to come back from the Easter-mass drama, but i'm glad they did this and got their act together...at least this doesn't make things worse
Old 04-07-2018, 01:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it looks forced. Sofia is usually very tactile, hence the whole Church incident hugging her granddaughters, if she was truly on excellent terms with Letizia I think she would have been more tactile with her. yes they are smiling, walking together etc but its all a bit robotic IMO.
Let's be honest they had no alternative, if all three were going to visit Juan Carlos then separate visits would have just made people say they were not on good terms and were still "sulking". It wouldn't at all surprise me if their PR team came up with the idea of Letizia opening the door for Sofia. They were forced into doing this by the necessity of needing to visit Juan Carlos.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I thought the same thing... as if Letizia was asked by her PR team to act in a friendly manner towards Sofia after "cathedral gate" (the PR team probably viewed this as a great opportunity to reshape Letizia's public image). The two queens seem overwhelmingly friendly towards one another and one wouldn't think that the incident last Sunday had happened.
It is just a wife, a son and a daughter-in-law visting a loved one in hospital.
Forget PR-team nonsense.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
It might be PR-driven and it might be the only real option they had to come back from the Easter-mass drama, but i'm glad they did this and got their act together...at least this doesn't make things worse
That is true. Whilst it does seem forced it's better that they appear civil towards each other. More glares would have made the whole situation blow up even more; if possible.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 04-07-2018, 01:36 PM
Royal Highness

Regarding today's joint appearance with the Letizia opening the car door for Sofia. Imo, too much too soon. Should of had normal politeness today. Start with kindness then over time add in gestures of affection (car door). It would make the progress in their relationship look more natural instead of a forced PR exercise. I don't think anyone believes that the two have repaired their relationship this much in 6 days.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Ok everyone the Easter Sunday drama is over and the tabloid war of the queens

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...def&m=nhfdecoi

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...def&m=oomcegii
Old 04-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The photographer of the King's house was in the church, presumably at the request of the king himself. I don't see how that would be Sofia's fault? If the royals weren't prepared for pictures of themselves to be taken in the church then the photographer should not have been there. Simple.

Th reaction of Letizia and her supporters on this board is as if Sofia was somehow offering up the girls for selfies to strange men or something. Those 2 girls were perfectly comfortable having their pic taken with their grandmother up until the point Letizia rudely inserted herself in that split second moment. All Letizia had to do was to instruct the photographer, who works for her family, that the picture shouldn't be made public afterwards, problem solved.

To deliberately humiliate a Queen in public, one who apparently gave her lots of support in the past, is just wrong.

The look on Felipe's face said it all.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Ok everyone the Easter Sunday drama is over and the tabloid war of the queens
http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...def&m=nhfdecoi
http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...def&m=oomcegii
Bravo! Nicely done. They will say nothing. Good. Just move on. So should everyone else imo. Way too toxic otherwise.

BTW the news seems to be that Juan Carlos is in the hospital.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Majesty

I think it's nice that people visit their people in the hospital.

And of course it looks a little strained. But it's an effort worth making. Moving on.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Hopefully now this tabloid tale will fade away and all the nasty stories/social media hysteria with it.

the queen and queen mother today

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_es...y-juan-carlos/

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar