The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Methinks Letizia is made of sterner stuff, and by the same token so is Leonor, and Felipe. Lots of strong, passionate personalities in that family. Leonor is likely to inherit some of that. Watching her adolescence unfold shall be interesting. Fasten your seatbelts, its going to be a bumpy ride!
i doubt so. kids of mothers with dominant personalities generally adopt a more subdued, calmer personality. there's just simply not enough room for both the mother and the daughter to be 'passionate' as you put it. given there are two kids in this family, maybe one will be like letizia, but i think one (maybe leonor being the eldest) will adopt a calmer, conciliating behaviour - a bit like felipe's.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
This, the storm was her fault for getting in the way, just let Sofía take ONE picture with her granddaughters, what's the harm on that? 1 minute max
I think you are looking at this as isolated incident, but with families, it's NEVER isolated. I'm sure Queen Sofia's tendency to use her grandchildren for her image isn't helping mattes, and perhaps Letizia is upset at her in-laws for some of the things that's transpired over the years. It might not be the best thing or the most mature or the most adult thing she has done, but so what, we've all had those moments.

Old 04-05-2018, 02:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I think you are looking at this as isolated incident, but with families, it's NEVER isolated. I'm sure Queen Sofia's tendency to use her grandchildren for her image isn't helping mattes, and perhaps Letizia is upset at her in-laws for some of the things that's transpired over the years. It might not be the best thing or the most mature or the most adult thing she has done, but so what, we've all had those moments.
Yes, but none of us is a Queen of a country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
The Queens should IMO do nothing. No comments, just move on and keep working. In a few weeks this will have died down enough for the day-to-day life to continue.
One thing they should not do, is to pretend they are friends. That will fool no one and seem hypocritical.
The damage has been done.

If they have to comment at all, be honest: "Yes, we had a disagreement. Happens in all families and now we've moved on. End of story." No more, no less. And ask their various family members and friends to shut up!

Focus more on the daughters, give them opportunity to get some good PR. And don't have their mother or grandmother hover over them all the time. The girls are big enough to be with another adult, their father, aunt, grandfather, even though he's fragile.
THAT would be the right thing to do but it would not be accepted in Spain. It's a cultural thing I guess.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
It’s not even close to the first time Letizia has set a foot wrong. She got off on the wrong foot with a lot of people with the engagement interview when she told the then Prince to let her finish speaking. Whether she was in the right or not - endlessly debateable - doesn’t matter. It didn’t look good.

It’s not even the first time she’s been publicly rude to Queen Sofia. There was a reception in Palma last summer, (maybe the summer before?) where Letizia very quickly and perfunctorily greeted the friendly crowd waiting - Felipe took twice as long to greet the same group of people - and then stalked past Sofia and the officials waiting at the entrance without looking at or speaking to any of them. This after Sofia made a point of ensuring Letizia was greeted before she was when they first arrived.

She snapped at a reporter who dared to ask Leonor a question last summer after the family visited a museum. What was the question? Something on the lines of, “did you enjoy your visit?”

She refused to spend more than five minutes greeting the gathered press at Marivent last summer and when Felipe seemed to suggest the family go down to - I’m guessing - at least say good bye to the gathered press, she refused. It’s beem suggested on here that her refusal to give even a little with the press is some sort of badge of honour and the mark of a strong character. Maybe, but if that’s the attitude you’re going to take you better make sure you never mess up, even a little, because they will then crucify you and make sure the incident is never, ever forgotten. As we’re seeing here.

And that’s just from the last year or two and doesn’t include the sometimes blatantly inappropriate fashion choices along with other appearance related issues that are off limits on this forum but which I think have very much shaped the image many people have of her as vain and superficial. It also doesn’t include the many, many, many rumours and stories out there of how she’s treated everyone from household staff, to other parents at her children’s school, to her own husband’s family members. If even 90 percent of the stories are untrue that still leaves a significant number of very unflattering truths.

I agree, the glee so many people are taking in Letizia’s public humiliation is grotesque - no one should be so publicly stoned, no matter what they’ve done. But the fact that the reaction has been so vehement should prompt some self evaluation on Letizia’s part regarding how things got to this point. Some of it may be jealousy or sexism or all the other excuses we’ve heard so often. But at least some of it is her own behaviour and if she does indeed have a truly strong character she’ll face up to that and adjust accordingly, for her own sake but, really, at this point, more for the sake of her daughter.
I cannot agree more, you reap what you sow and she's picking up the fruits of her behavior.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Can anyone explain to me why after Leonor already pushed her arm away once, Sofia doubles down and basically puts her granddaughter in a choke hold?

To me it’s Sofía who has a motive, not Letizia. Parents, not grandparents make the rules for their children.

After Letizia and Sofía exchange ‘looks’ , Sofia wants to continue the ‘confrontation’.

With all due respect, to me it seems Sofía is the one with issues, not Letizia.
I agree with you on this. I only saw this on Twitter after it went viral, but it does seem like Sofia was quite aggressive with her granddaughters. I also noticed that when Letizia went to wipe Leonor's hair back, Sofia's hand moved from her shoulders to where Letizia's hand was, and it almost looked like she was grabbing Letizia's hand. Then Leonor started pushing her hand away, but Letizia's hand was right there and got pushed too. AFTER being pushed away, Sofia put her hand on Leonor again, which Leonor AGAIN pushed away.

This was all on top of the fact that Infanta Sofia was in the middle of greeting or saying goodbye to someone and Queen Sofia just pulled her away in the middle of it. Sofia needs to learn that perhaps, she should ask her granddaughters if they want to take a picture with her rather than just grab them whenever she wants.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:42 PM
Courtier

El futuro, en manos de Letizia | loc-secciones | EL MUNDO

Carmen Rigalt's article is HARSH

"No es el primer 'numerito' de Su Majestad la Reina Letizia, aunque sí el mas sonado. Nunca una majestad cayó más bajo ni un pueblo se sintió más abochornado ".

"It's not the first time HM the Queen Letizia throws a tantrum but it is the most widely spread. Never a majesty stoop down so low or a country felt more ashamed"

Old 04-05-2018, 02:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Yes, but none of us is a Queen of a country.
But for some people to say her husband to divorce her? Seriously? And Queen or not, if she doesn't feel like someone else should use her children as props, then more power to her.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

"No es el primer 'numerito' de Su Majestad la Reina Letizia, aunque sí el mas sonado. Nunca una majestad cayó más bajo ni un pueblo se sintió más abochornado ".

"It's not the first time HM the Queen Letizia throws a tantrum but it is the most widely spread. Never a majesty stoop down so low or a country felt more ashamed"

So this is worse than the whole Inaki business. What priorities.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

Know the meaning of gossip.......it is assumptions, innuendoes, lies, rumors and stories all made up by someone who wants to cause harm and trouble for someone else they do not like.

So here we read all the above about Letizia, all the gossip that is NOT factual yet she is haunted like a rabid dog and some here want to hang her from the highest tree........shame on anyone for doing to to *anyone* even Letizia.

The media is using this just for one reason only.........money and greed for without this why buy a paper or click on the internet ........*Oh of the human race I do despair* ....Beam me up Scotty for all is lost down here

Calling for Felipe to divorce his wife.......disgusting, disgrace and shameful of anyone who says that......
Old 04-05-2018, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
The way I see it, this is akin to Laurent and Philippe, what Laurent does is not Philippe's fault but if Mathilde did a lot of bad things, then it would be Philippe's fault for choosing her (that's the way people are assuming this).

More or less like that and I really hope Iñaki ends up in prison one day but it's not likely
Old 04-05-2018, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
they apparently got a lip reader to know what felipe told the ladies. he first addressed letizia with a 'please, let it go', then he addressed his mum saying 'let it go now'.

then:

JC: "felipe, felipe, come for a second."
felipe: "not now, not now... it is not the right moment. you understand that, right?"

some moments afterwards...

queen sofia: "oh well, there is nothing to do."
Love it! Where is the Lifetime movie?

I have long maintained (since I have a passing knowledge of Spanish history) that it is unfortunate that the Spanish monarchy never had it's Shakespeare. Hands down the Spanish playwright (had he existed) would have churned out better plays with the historical gyrations of the Spanish monarchy at his disposal than ever was available to Shakespeare with the (by comparison) staid British royals. Ha!
Old 04-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
could you expand on this?
Time and time again the 'emeritus' Queen has ensured SHE is publicly seen and photographed with the daughters of the King and Queen, in a way that can only be a way of keeping herself 'in the public eye'. Her Husband has 'faded from view' to a far greater degree [perhaps because he is frail], but [it seems to me] Queen Sofia is reluctant to be similarly 'retiring' or let the Reigning 'Kings' take centre stage, as they SHOULD..

The career of Queen Frederika of Greece is well known [and easily examined online], and it seems to me Queen Sofia is [in many ways] 'cut from the same cloth'.. Steely, determined and HIGHLY manipulative, qualities that may [or may not] be appreciated by family members...and in a reigning family have major repercussions, as her Mother's CERTAINLY did..
Old 04-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Nobility

For some strange reason, I have become obsessed with this thread! Not quite sure why - I think it's because for once, 'the light has been let in on the magic' of 'being a Royal.' We have seen a certain amount of jealousy which has occurred between a person and their in-laws - something which happens in pretty much 90% of families, I would imagine.
Who knows whether Princess Anne, the Princess Royal, can't stand Princess Beatrice of York, or whether King Constantine hated spending time with his late brother-in-law, Prince Hendrik - we just don't know this, as smiles normally reign supreme in Royal circles.
I have gone between feeling sorry for Queen Sofia, and Queen Letitia, and then the Princess of Asturias, and I just can't work out who is in the wrong here. Maybe no one is???
One thing which stands out is the maturity and Majesty of King Felipe, who seems to be such a wonderful King of Spain - and I hope for his sake that this family disagreement blows over soon (I know that they have all the privileges of Royalty, but how many of us would like our 'familial dirty laundry' aired in public like this?)
Old 04-05-2018, 03:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
It’s not even close to the first time Letizia has set a foot wrong. She got off on the wrong foot with a lot of people with the engagement interview when she told the then Prince to let her finish speaking. Whether she was in the right or not - endlessly debateable - doesn’t matter. It didn’t look good.

It’s not even the first time she’s been publicly rude to Queen Sofia. There was a reception in Palma last summer, (maybe the summer before?) where Letizia very quickly and perfunctorily greeted the friendly crowd waiting - Felipe took twice as long to greet the same group of people - and then stalked past Sofia and the officials waiting at the entrance without looking at or speaking to any of them. This after Sofia made a point of ensuring Letizia was greeted before she was when they first arrived.

She snapped at a reporter who dared to ask Leonor a question last summer after the family visited a museum. What was the question? Something on the lines of, “did you enjoy your visit?”

She refused to spend more than five minutes greeting the gathered press at Marivent last summer and when Felipe seemed to suggest the family go down to - I’m guessing - at least say good bye to the gathered press, she refused. It’s beem suggested on here that her refusal to give even a little with the press is some sort of badge of honour and the mark of a strong character. Maybe, but if that’s the attitude you’re going to take you better make sure you never mess up, even a little, because they will then crucify you and make sure the incident is never, ever forgotten. As we’re seeing here.

And that’s just from the last year or two and doesn’t include the sometimes blatantly inappropriate fashion choices along with other appearance related issues that are off limits on this forum but which I think have very much shaped the image many people have of her as vain and superficial. It also doesn’t include the many, many, many rumours and stories out there of how she’s treated everyone from household staff, to other parents at her children’s school, to her own husband’s family members. If even 90 percent of the stories are untrue that still leaves a significant number of very unflattering truths.

I agree, the glee so many people are taking in Letizia’s public humiliation is grotesque - no one should be so publicly stoned, no matter what they’ve done. But the fact that the reaction has been so vehement should prompt some self evaluation on Letizia’s part regarding how things got to this point. Some of it may be jealousy or sexism or all the other excuses we’ve heard so often. But at least some of it is her own behaviour and if she does indeed have a truly strong character she’ll face up to that and adjust accordingly, for her own sake but, really, at this point, more for the sake of her daughter.
I think another major blunder what cost Letizia some bonus points with the public was compi-yogi-gate, when she texted a close friend, Javier Lopez Madrid and the chat became public. Lopez Madrid was under police investigation for misuse of company credit cards and Letizia texted him some supportive words in quite vulgar language, eg labelling the newpaper that printed the allegations as '****'.

For the first time people could read what their Queen really thinks, in her own words, and it weren't kind words.

And of course the cousin's book, Adios Princesa, did not help, whether the content of the book is true or not, a lot of it stuck in people's minds. Especially the claim that Letizia had an abortion before meeting Felipe was widely discussed with regard to her relationship with Queen Sofia, who considered herself anti-abortion in her biography.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

There's nothing for Spain to be ashamed about. People with a sense of humor are laughing at how seriously Spain is taking this. It's extreme. It's reached absurdity. There was a spat: so what? If anything I love the way the Spanish royals really do let it all hang out there sometimes. How refreshing.

P.S. What is not refreshing is how toxic the public response is. Genuinely unhealthy imo.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think another major blunder what cost Letizia some bonus points with the public was compi-yogi-gate, when she texted a close friend, Javier Lopez Madrid and the chat became public. Lopez Madrid was under police investigation for misuse of company credit cards and Letizia texted him some supportive words in quite vulgar language, eg labelling the newpaper that printed the allegations as '****'.

For the first time people could read what their Queen really thinks, in her own words, and it weren't kind words.

And of course the cousin's book, Adios Princesa, did not help, whether the content of the book is true or not, a lot of it stuck in people's minds. Especially the claim that Letizia had an abortion before meeting Felipe was widely discussed with regard to her relationship with Queen Sofia, who considered herself anti-abortion in her biography.
That was another bad one tbh. Too many blunders to count.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
SO funny, and so TRUE, but I can understand the Spanish public revelling in anything that gets the Catalan debacle off the front pages..
Old 04-05-2018, 03:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Follow, continue ... you have 14 years of stories, inventions, hoaxes and manipulations to remember ... maybe something is true ...

These journalists are repeat offenders ... it's always the same, criticizing Letizia makes them feel better.

Here is a more complete video...

https://www.elespanol.com/corazon/ca...7490288_2.html

You can see that Queen Letizia passes several times from one side of the hall to the other, greeting people.

How does Sofia get from her place in the protocol behind the king to the front line? She even pushes Felipe a little to get to the photographer.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:33 PM
Courtier

Yeah, lula, Letizia is a saint.
Too many things about her have been buried/hidden/censored, including her cheating on David Tejera with Felipe or a lot of stuff about her stay in México or her rudeness in the engagement press conference or her obsession with touching her daughters at all times and not allowing Sofía to visit them at home, etc, etc, etc.
Poor little lamb who has done nothing but endear herself to the Spanish population, whom adore her...
Old 04-05-2018, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
The fickleness of public relations is one of the dangers a head of state (and their consorts) are very aware of or should be. I am honestly shocked by the comments I'm reading (not here, elsewhere). I question Letizia's priorities, what did she hope to gain by making a scene? Also, Felipe is partially to blame for not realizing there was tension and thinking far enough ahead to avoid it.

Sofia could also have let it go, and should have. But, if Felipe can't even control the strong personalities in his own household, makes him look wimpy and that is not a good look for a king.

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar