The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Serene Highness

I don't speak Spanish and have no idea if this credible but...someone claims to have lip read Felipe telling Letizia to stop. Perhaps one of our Spanish members can confirm or deny this?

Old 04-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's nothing private about a photo taken in a public place with members of the public and press around. It's calculated, something a woman who has been a Queen for many years like Sofia has been would know a thing or two about. Nobody hates a doting grandma and she knows it.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:03 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
To be fair towards Letizia: I can not see much over-protection of Doña Leonor. Compared with her Dutch "colleague" Princess Amalia, Doña Leonor is very visible for public and media...

The difference maybe is that when these princesses are visible, the one accompanying mother looks like carefree, relaxed, confident and enjoying it all. This while the other accompanying mother looks tense, unsecure and under pressure.

It is more the non-verbal communication than the "over protection" thing, I think.
I have not done a count but I would have said that the Spanish, Dutch and Belgian heirs are all on the less visible end of the spectrum, but I definitely do not perceive the Spanish heir as significantly more more visible.

Interestingly, and a bit OT, but I chuckle at how the Cambridges (heir to the heir) have gotten raked over the coals (not on this forum) for years for hiding the now four-year old heir to the heir to the heir, whereas other monarchies keep their older, and closer to the throne, heirs under wraps.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Letizia, abucheada al grito de "fuera" a la salida de su primer acto tras el rifirrafe con Sofía | Casa Real

Letizia was booed and people were screaming "Fuera" (OUT) outside of the building where she had an act today.

And many people are asking Felipe outright to divorce her on Twitter.

"Loyalist" media like Hola will start a campaign soon but people will have to be appeased a LOT to let go of this.
What is the campaign that Hola will start?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
There are a few comments along the lines of 'We miss you Eva Sannum'
who is Eva Sannum
Old 04-05-2018, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
It's a combination of factors, there's a lot going on in Spain politically speaking (tons of corruption cases, falsifying university degrees by politicians, the Catalan Procés, the Basques asking for more money, etc) and the monarchy should be the rock, the foundation of the country and if you can't even trust them not to "fight" in public, then people ask themselves: what do we have them for? what are we paying them for?
You are absolutely right
Old 04-05-2018, 11:38 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisreen View Post
who is Eva Sannum
I believe she was once a girlfriend for Felipe.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Well I've read all the comments and watched every video from every angle about a thousand times. My two cents:

Sofia notices the photographer (one of only a few allowed inside so likely the official photographer or one at least on good enough terms to be permitted so close)
He indicates through a look or gesture he wants to take a photo, maybe even just raising his camera ready to take a shot. Sofia, quite instinctively I imagine, pulls her granddaughters in close to her for the picture.
The girls and Sofia are all smiling and seem quite happy
Then Letizia steps in front of the photographer so the shot can not be taken. This does seem IMO quite accidental as first, its very busy at the back of the church so its understandable people are getting in the way of each other.
Sofia moves position with the girls to try and get a clear shot for the photo, she seems quite smily and happy, almost amused by it.
Felipe sees what is going on and tries to guide Letizia out of the way
HERE is where is goes wrong IMO. Letizia could of just moved out the way and allowed the photo.
Instead she stops the photo by staying in the way and trying to brush it off by playing with Leonor's hair as a way to look like she has a purpose to be standing right in front of the group to prevent a photo. Here, IMO, Letizia is in the wrong.
Sofia is having none of it and pulls the girls in closer while getting cross at Letizia as it has become clearer she doesn't want the picture to be taken. Here Sofia is in the wrong and could have just walked away but emotion gets the better of her.
Leonor pulls away, maybe just sick of the whole incident and possibly fed up of waiting for a photo that obviously now isn't going to happen.
Sofia seems really upset when she walks out the church and tried to pose again with the girls and Letizia is still there so she smiles and walks away.
They seem to be trying to look civilised before putting distance between themselves.

I appreciate everyone saying a mother is always right when it comes to her daughters but this isn't a stranger we are talking about, its their grandmother.
There is no good reason IMO not to allow the picture. They are about to walk out in public and could be photographed in all manner of combinations (Felipe, the girls, Sofia / Letizia, Juan Carlos, Felipe and on and on) by anyone who happens to be close enough. Why not just let this photographer who must be at least semi-official take a picture of the girls and their grandmother. If Letizia didn't want it made public after she could have, I am sure, prevented it from being released. Sofia obviously doesn't understand why the photo can't just be taken and I have to say neither do I. I get I am not privy to all the details of this royal family but out of anyone in the SRF Sofia seems to be most respectable and close to Felipe and his family. Yes, on reflection Sofia should have just let the whole thing drop and walked away but I think she truly dotes on her grandchildren so just wanted a photo and reacted with emotion, from the heart not her head.
I just don't see how a photo of her girls with Sofia could upset Letizia and that speaks IMO of a deeper issue. As for MC's comments it only adds to the feeling there is already tension there but really she should keep her nose out of it, very unusual for a royal, or any one with manners, to comment on twitter about a family matter.
I liked Letizia. That is in the past. She was disrespectful to Queen Sofía. For a while the comments were in my opinion very unfair to Letizia. I had tried to respect her as the Queen of Spain. She did not act with class or respect. Letizia and Leonor and Sofia are public figures. She is trying to live a as a private citizen, and she is not. For her to be admired and respected she needs to change.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Imperial Majesty

Hola it is a "royal" magazine whenever the royals grant them their exclusives... it has never been a particularly friendly magazine with Letizia, and it was used on more than one occasion to criticize her from the old Royal House. Hola's friends are Juan Carlos and Sofía, who granted them an exclusive treatment that they did not grant to other magazines.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Nobility

Whoa. People are seriously asking for the King to divorce ? For .... this ?

Please. Strained relationships between mother-in-laws and daughter-in-laws are probably as old as the world. Even in royal families ( Maria Teresa and Josephine-Charlotte, anyone ?) Did monarchies collapse because of this, in recent times ? No.

The important question here is : Cui bono?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I have not done a count but I would have said that the Spanish, Dutch and Belgian heirs are all on the less visible end of the spectrum, but I definitely do not perceive the Spanish heir as significantly more more visible.

Interestingly, and a bit OT, but I chuckle at how the Cambridges (heir to the heir) have gotten raked over the coals (not on this forum) for years for hiding the now four-year old heir to the heir to the heir, whereas other monarchies keep their older, and closer to the throne, heirs under wraps.
I think all of the youngest generation are kept away from the press whenever possible, as their parents recognize what life will be like when they come of age. The age of social media and just media in general, we see so much more of other peoples kids and celeb kids, and so I think people wish for the same from the Royals.

I do agree that in comparison to their counterparts (in age not position), the Spanish Infantas appear much more reserved and sheltered. I remember thinking the video released for Felipe's 50th, that it felt like a very poorly acted/written film. It was entirely too staged and felt so cold and remote. Felipe is unquestionably adjusted and comfortable in front of cameras. Because of her background, I don't believe Letizia is at all comfortable, she's too suspicious to relax, and I think the girls are learning that, rather than their father's more relaxed comfort.

Be a good person.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
don't think many can say the same of her.
Not 'cold' exactly [except where her Daughter-in-law is concerned], but 'manipulative' ? CERTAINLY and I would say HIGHLY manipulative [of her grand-children, and of her 'public image']..She is not a daughter of Queen Frederika 'for nothing' !
Old 04-05-2018, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Hola it is a "royal" magazine whenever the royals grant them their exclusives... it has never been a particularly friendly magazine with Letizia, and it was used on more than one occasion to criticize her from the old Royal House. Hola's friends are Juan Carlos and Sofía, who granted them an exclusive treatment that they did not grant to other magazines.
But Hola is a magazine that is always on the side of the Royal House. At least it always seemed to me.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
One more friend who is talking?!? With friends like that, who needs enemies...
The argument about protecting the daughters from being photographed can be shot down in a second.

A) It was the royal photographer.
B) Her very experienced mother-in-law, posed with the girls and we must presume she has a pretty good idea what she's doing.
C) The press corps was waiting right outside the cathedral.
D) There were lots of people inside the cathedral taking photos, some of them now doubt from within an arm reach, since the girls walked around greeting people.
E) It was a high profile public event.

- That "friend" has done more harm than good.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
But Hola is a magazine that is always on the side of the Royal House. At least it always seemed to me.
Hola is a magazine that has changed a lot, following the degeneration of that type of press in Spain.

Juan Carlos and Sofía have a long tradition of favors exchanged with Hola, the magazine is always kind, and they gave them photographs of interviews or warned them to photograph them at certain private moments.

Letizia has never given interviews to Hola ... so the magazine "uses" her when it's profitable like any other celebrity, sometimes they praise her and sometimes they criticize her subtly.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:06 PM
Nobility

Now after I read the whole thread, I am shocked with Letezia fans who said that
Letzia was trying to protect her daughters ,protect them from what for God sake?!
Taking photos with their granny by the royal photographer?! even if Letezia right she could have just asked not to publish the photo and then spoke privately about that with queen Sofia ,what she done was vulgar, childish and irresponsible.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:11 PM
Administrator

No, I am sorry...any decision regarding how much or how little their daughters are available to the media is up to Felipe and Letizia. Not Sofia. They are not her daughters. Yes, they are her granddaughters and she loves them but any decisions regarding them are up to the parents.

And yes, both Sofia and Letizia could have handled this a little better. I am sure they were not thinking this would blow up. And yes Marie Chantal should mind her business. As should Letizia's "friend" It has nothing to do with them. they might have thought they were helping the situation but they have only added fuel to the flames.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Majesty

Once Letizia gave Sofía the ‘eye’ that should have been it. Leonor pushes her grandmothers arm away and what does Sofía do? Grab Leonor around the neck again and again Sofía is pushed away.

Sofía even shuffles back and forth determined to get the picture. Out of line imo.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:15 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Letizia, abucheada al grito de "fuera" a la salida de su primer acto tras el rifirrafe con Sofía | Casa Real

Letizia was booed and people were screaming "Fuera" (OUT) outside of the building where she had an act today.

And many people are asking Felipe outright to divorce her on Twitter.

"Loyalist" media like Hola will start a campaign soon but people will have to be appeased a LOT to let go of this.
Wow, that looks like an over-reaction to me. It was just a minor incident after all.

It is bad though that Letizia’s supporters’ excuses keep changing. First, she was trying to protect the girls’ privacy against media intrusion, which makes no sense since it was a royal photographer taking a picture for private use of Queen Sofia only. Now, there is a new version that Letizia was concerned that it would be disrespectful to take a picture inside the church, as if Letizia, who has never struck me as a particularly religious person, would care about that. Besides, even if that were true, why did Letizia try again to prevent Sofia from taking the picture with the girls outside the cathedral , which would be an appropriate venue ?
Old 04-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Courtier

I will say, watching the different "angles", I don't think Letizia was purposefully blocking anything at first. She walked to shake hands with someone, was going to return to where she came from, spotted her daughter and went to talk, and things escalated. Perhaps it was a major miscommunication, and Sofia snapped thinking she was doing something maliciously. But Letizia's body language and wavering steps, don't initially look defensive, not until Q Sofia moves so abruptly to the side and Lenore brushes them off, does Letizia look at all defensive or upset. Her shoulders square and raise after the first scuffle move.

Be a good person.

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar