The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I'm afraid that won't be convincing enough.

How about an outing with Sofia and Leonor alone with their grandparents? So that people can see that there are no problems between Queen Sofia and Leonor in particular.
As for the two Queens, that PR-ship has sailed and won't be back for years. Now IMO it's about putting the relationship with the children in a more positive light.
Fortunately children are terrible hypocrites. If a twelve year old don't like being touched, especially by a particular person, it's almost impossible for them to hide it.

That's EXACTLY what Pilar Eyre said in the link I pasted in a previous post.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
What maturity do you recognize in her? I mainly see a very docile child.
In public and videos I've seen they seem respectful children.

Old 04-04-2018, 06:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I disagree. The late Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Fabiola, Princess Beatrix, Queen Paola, they remain(ed) forefront figures and were (are) treated with all égards. This is not just a granny. This is Queen Sofía. This formidable lady has not endured Franco's dictatorship, the colonels in Greece, the military coup in Spain and her husband's eccentrics to get such a reaction in public, right aftet Easter Mass in the middle of Palma and in front of all and everyone.

The baffled reactions of Don Juan Carlos and Don Felipe said enough.
There was so disrespectful behavior of Letizia towards Sofia before Sofia pushed Letizia's hand away from Leonor. She might tell Sofia not to pose at the center of the church, nothing wrong either. If Letizia grabbed her two daughters posing like Sofia, Sofia was the one came over to tell them to pose outside instead, everyone would be applauding Sofia's behavior. That's called double standard.
I guess something must be bothering Sofia a lot in her mind (understandable if she worries a alot about Cristina and her children since Inaki is going to jail soon), since she usually was very calm, didn't get so emotional, over-reacting in public.
On MC's tweets, I have never heard there was much interaction between MC and Letizia, they might get to see each other every blue moon. How could she have such a strong opinion on someone she didn't interact much ? Of course Letizia's in-laws were talking behind her back, either Sofia or Cristina or both.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
What a nonsense. We have heard nothing from the Spanish royal family. Only from the "classy" commoner Marie-Chantal who blabbed her opinion in a tweet.

Queen Sofía is her husband's aunt. It is very well possible Marie-Chantal had witnessed in very own person how Letizia really is behind the doors. Your blame thay Queen Sofía has talked about Letizia et al is pure speculation on your behalf.

Note that Queen Sofía is known as a Sphinx. She sees all, hears all and her lips are sealed. She once said: Queens have no friends. The only one she is completely open to is her sister Princess Irene, the only person who understands what it is to have lived a life like that of Doña Sofía.
The Crown Princess of Greece hardly "blabbed her opinion in a tweet." Marie-Chantal is the spouse of the heir to King Constantine II, and has been a member of the Greek royal family for far longer than Queen Letizia has been a member of the Spanish royal house. The Royal House of Greece is much more family minded than some other families, and they close ranks when a member is attacked (hence the personal support for Infanta Cristina and her children), so it should come as no surprise that Marie-Chantal reacted the way she did to seeing her aunt treated in such a fashion. The Crown Princess herself is a devoted mother, wife, and daughter; further, she has always treated her parents-in-law, the King and Queen Anne-Marie, with the utmost respect. I find the criticisms of her here to be most misplaced. She *obviously* has witnessed the internal dynamics of the family behind the scenes, she knows what has transpired.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:11 PM
Royal Highness

I have gotten the idea that Queen Letizia has over the years first being engaged then married to Felipe and now Queen Consort has built a strong wall, an unbreakable wall around herself, not her daughters but herself simply because of all the backlash that she has had to put up with from not just the media, the trolls of the media, her in/laws and her own family. She has had to somehow protect herself from all the gossip, lies, hate mail, anger directed to wards her for what.......so she was a commoner, aren't we all commoners at one point in life? And what is this that being born royal makes anyone even former Queens or Kings better then anyone else? We all have faults here, yet Queen Sofia is not allowed to have faults because she was born royal? So what if Queen Sofia is her mother/in/law....she of all people with her life as a royal that you do not do this in public ever, she above Queen Letizia knows better yet she reacted badly and yet some here thing she is above that. Well got news for ya, Queen Sofia has her bad points also for she is just like you and me, human with faults like all of us.

I get that brick wall that I feel Queen Letizia has built up and understand if she has done this right where she is coming from.......protecting herself from what has been directed at her with hate, revenge and jealousy by others. NO one is perfect here and to some you would think that Queen Sofia walks on water......well she will sink like we all do and will. Anyhow I am in my own opinion giving Queen Letizia the benefit of the doubt here and no neither is she perfect here.

Yet Queen Sofia supports her son/in/law who is going to jail for being a *CROOK* who stole money to support a very fancy life style while others in Spain suffered because of that and her daughter who was not convicted who no doubt was just as guilty but she is after all a *Born royal daughter of a king* so she does no wrong in this world yet Queen Letizia will get the blame for that entire affair........double standards and hypocrisy is alive loud and clear.........
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I agree that they seem very respectful in the public eye - from a very early age. I, however, don't attribute that to maturity but to being docile (Leonor slightly more so than Sofia).

A little more 'character' coming through would be nice
Old 04-04-2018, 06:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Those image campaigns does not work in Spain ... if people already see with cynicism the acts of Juan Carlos and Sofia together, adding now the girls would be absolutely absurd .... they would receive even more criticism. Because Juan Carlos and Sofia never do things together with their grandchildren and it would be something totally prepared and without credibility.

It is normal to see Juan Carlos going to restaurants, football, bullfighting ... and living a normal life in Madrid. But in the case of Sofia it is very strange to see her captured by paparazzi making a normal life in the city.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
That hardly ever happens, though. It's not common at all.

Even Harry and Meghan are discreet by Spanish standards. They wouldn't even consider cheek kissing in public.
It will all change once The Queen is gone.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
The Crown Princess of Greece hardly "blabbed her opinion in a tweet." Marie-Chantal is the spouse of the heir to King Constantine II, and has been a member of the Greek royal family for far longer than Queen Letizia has been a member of the Spanish royal house. The Royal House of Greece is much more family minded than some other families, and they close ranks when a member is attacked (hence the personal support for Infanta Cristina and her children), so it should come as no surprise that Marie-Chantal reacted the way she did to seeing her aunt treated in such a fashion. The Crown Princess herself is a devoted mother, wife, and daughter; further, she has always treated her parents-in-law, the King and Queen Anne-Marie, with the utmost respect. I find the criticisms of her here to be most misplaced. She *obviously* has witnessed the internal dynamics of the family behind the scenes, she knows what has transpired.
Your comment made me laugh, first of all MC does not even know the meaning of being a crown princess, nor has she ever worked at being such......all MC has done in life is *marry an empty title*, it means nothing to anyone for there is NO country that they rule or even work for.

To me, the entire Greek royal family is a sham......they do nothing for the people of Greece what so ever.........MC is all about her picture and mouth in the media circus, her money and her life style and not a woman of substance to be looked up to by her very actions over time. Yes MC married what is called *well* and the heritage is Greek and that is all it is. It is all play acting that MC does for the attention and to benefit other royals not more of any substance.

MC made a huge mistake by that comment for it will backfire on her given time. She would of been better off leaving the situation alone between Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
"blabbed her opinion in a tweet.
That is PRECISELY what the 'Crown Princess' of the DEPOSED Throne of the Hellenes did !

About an incident she wasn't there to witness, about people to whom she is [fairly remotely] connected to by marriage.
Whatever her feelings toward the Queen of Spain, had she learned ANYTHING in the course of her time as a 'royal' it is that discretion and privacy is PARAMOUNT.
Her 'Tweet' shows her to be every bit as lacking in class as many have LONG thought her do be..
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Yes, completely agree.

Regardless of what happened now, both Leonor and Sofia have always behaved impeccably in public so far.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I agree that they seem very respectful in the public eye - from a very early age. I, however, don't attribute that to maturity but to being docile (Leonor slightly more so than Sofia).

A little more 'character' coming through would be nice
I agree. Well lets just hope Leonor does not become rebellious because the monarchy in Spain is as fragile as it is right now.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
MC made a huge mistake by that comment for it will backfire on her given time. She would of been better off leaving the situation alone between Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia.
Exactly how do you see it backfiring on the Crown Princess, pray tell?

If anything, her comments added credence to the supposition already held by many that Letizia has tried to distance her children and husband from his family and parents, especially his mother, when the latter was the only major family figure to support his union.

For better or worse, Letizia is the one who is getting slaughtered in the press over this.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:29 PM
Aristocracy

They all live at Zarzuela, right? Surely it's big enough so that they don't bump into each other all the time.

Juan Carlos and Sofia live in the main palace while Felipe and Letizia live in a smaller residence on the palace grounds, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
I think you might be onto something here, after all none of us have truly interacted with either Sofia or Letizia and MC has, so...
Old 04-04-2018, 06:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
That is PRECISELY what the 'Crown Princess' of the DEPOSED Throne of the Hellenes did !

About an incident she wasn't there to witness, about people to whom she is [fairly remotely] connected to by marriage.
Whatever her feelings toward the Queen of Spain, had she learned ANYTHING in the course of her time as a 'royal' it is that discretion and privacy is PARAMOUNT.
Her 'Tweet' shows her to be every bit as lacking in class as many have LONG thought her do be..
Not sure how this can be 'fairly remotely' connected. In that case, only parents and children and siblings are a 'close connection'? We are talking about her aunt and first cousin; moreover, the mother and wife of one of her husband's best friends.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Your comment made me laugh, first of all MC does not even know the meaning of being a crown princess, nor has she ever worked at being such......all MC has done in life is *marry an empty title*, it means nothing to anyone for there is NO country that they rule or even work for.

To me, the entire Greek royal family is a sham......they do nothing for the people of Greece what so ever.........MC is all about her picture and mouth in the media circus, her money and her life style and not a woman of substance to be looked up to by her very actions over time. Yes MC married what is called *well* and the heritage is Greek and that is all it is. It is all play acting that MC does for the attention and to benefit other royals not more of any substance.
Entire Greek royal family is quite a statement. The king was the king of Greek for several years. His wife their queen. They moved back to Greece. Their second son and wife are actively promoting Greece... (also living in Greece). The crown prince and crown princess don't do either but let's not generalize their actions to that of the whole family.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Aristocracy

Does the SRF have a Whatsapp group? I would love to check it right now.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
If the only 'proof' of her domineering personality is Letizia touching her daughters, I'm not convinced.
Of course, not. While nobody here could speak about the dynamics between husband and wife, I think it is pretty clear from Letizia's demeanor in public that she has a very assertive character at the very least.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
If William and Kate can be used as a reference, it will hopefully remain that way.

PDA has no place in royal circles. Every gesture can be misunderstood.
I was thinking more about Harry and Meghan, but I don't want to go OT! Just to clarify.

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar