The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Aristocracy

The good thing about the BRF is that they don't do public displays of affection so controversies of this sort never happen.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Do we even know if Letizia stayed at the Marivent Palace ,she could have flown back to Madrid after Mass on Easter Sunday.

I recall there were tabloid stories last summer of an incident between Letizia and Sofia also in Palma de Mallorca.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
So she should adhere to stereotypical qualities of womanhood in order to qualify as likeable in Spain?
Oh please, let's not get into the feminist discourse, here. Being "domineering" and "forceful" is not a good thing within a family whether you're a man or a woman.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

If the only 'proof' of her domineering personality is Letizia touching her daughters, I'm not convinced.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Pointing fingers are never a good thing and I'm afraid Queen Letizia is guilty of that! I'm grateful to my mother who taught me never to point in public because it could be misinterpreted, even if you point at a place or a thing. Someone nearby could think otherwise...
Old 04-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
Oh please, let's not get into the feminist discourse, here. Being "domineering" and "forceful" is not a good thing within a family whether you're a man or a woman.
BINGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
If the only 'proof' of her domineering personality is Letizia touching her daughters, I'm not convinced.
There has been numerous instances of her being "rude" or too "forceful", starting with the infamous "let me finish" at their engagement presser.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
People don't dislike Letizia because she's a commoner, they actually hated Marichalar far much more at one point, the issue here is that she comes out as terribly forceful (and not in a good way), as a domineering personality that doesn't add to the Crown.

So let's not start with the "oh poor victim" thing because that's not true.

Letizia simply hasn't earned respect or being liked, not enough to make sure that things aren't always blamed on her.
I can agree to this, she simply doesn't come off as warm and sincere, especially when side by side with her husband whose eyes crinkle at the sides when he smiles, stands tall and just looks like anybody's idea of a 21st century king. I saw them during FITUR, he has the warmest smile while she appears stiff and haughty. They do differ greatly, enough to make one wonder how they get along. But the possibility of having unsupportive in-laws and being domineering are not mutually exclusive, pretty sure the truth is complex and has bits and pieces of our observations.

Posting pics as proof, cos I do understand I may sound like I make things up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8312.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	301184  
Old 04-04-2018, 05:19 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
The good thing about the BRF is that they don't do public displays of affection so controversies of this sort never happen.
Not, yet..
Old 04-04-2018, 05:21 PM
Courtier

https://www.huffingtonpost.es/2018/0...ia_a_23403091/

Pilar Eyre predicts that we will have pics of Queen Sofía with the little Infantas in the circus or at the movies or having an ice cream to try to difuse the situation.

That would be a pretty good PR move tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
I can agree to this, she simply doesn't come off as warm and sincere, especially when side by side with her husband whose eyes crinkle at the sides when he smiles, stands tall and just looks like anybody's idea of a 21st century king. I saw them during FITUR, he has the warmest smile while she appears stiff and haughty. They do differ greatly, enough to make one wonder how they get along. But the possibility of having unsupportive in-laws and being domineering are not mutually exclusive, pretty sure the truth is complex and has bits and pieces of our observations.

Posting pics as proof, cos I do understand I may sound like I make things up
Exactly, she's like always acting, maybe in her mind she's still a tv presenter repeating the words and the attitudes fed to her? And not exactly doing a good work out of it, the only times where she doesn't seem forced is when she's making speeches.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette2 View Post
Not, yet..
If William and Kate can be used as a reference, it will hopefully remain that way.

PDA has no place in royal circles. Every gesture can be misunderstood.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Social media has been absolutely vicious, calling poor Leonor "maleducada." People are horrible.
Doesn't that basically mean rude or not polite?

LaRae
Old 04-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Doesn't that basically mean rude or not polite?

Yes, rude/without good manners.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
For those of us who are Spanish-challenged and don't trust Google translate that much, could someone please give us a summary in English?
Translation of the quotes in a different article.

"she is preoccupied and quite desolate because the queen is very committed to the protection of her image and that of her daughters."

What happened was "just silly" and "a natural gesture".

In one of the other articles about this 'friend's' comments it included the earlier stated complain that Letizia has always been treated unfairly as the was judged more harshly from the moment of her engagement. And it also seemed to imply that Letizia couldn't help it because she wasn't prepared all her life for this role?! (trying to find the exact quote as it still doesn't make sense to me)
Old 04-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duke, Sofia has always been very controlling, and the press has never criticized her for it because it benefited them. She always organized the photos with her grandchildren and in many occasions she called Hola to be photographed in her outings with them. Even in her own leisure events she often notifies the press. It is very strange that she is photographed in Madrid by the paparazzi doing something normal.

The viral attacks against Letizia are cyclists, generally coincide with the holidays (revenge of the gossip press because they do not say where they are going), or with critical moments when Letizia is very useful to cover other scandals.

Today Sofia is a saint ... but if when Urdanarín is sent to prison, she will support him or say something to defend him ... people will not say anything nice about her. And then Letizia will be the good one because she did not approve Iñaki's activities. Things change for days or weeks, this is not very rational.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
there have been many situations when he seemed to be walking on eggshells since 2004, torn between his family and his wife. Letizia has been thrown under the bus many, many times unable to defend herself with the public watching.
I think that Letizia had to put up with a lot and Felipe has never publicly defended her with regard to the tabloid gossip or family pressure, that must have been difficult on the marriage.
How is this bad for the institution and its future though? I mean everyone will forget about this.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronprinz View Post
Hmmm well maybe not the older members of the BRF but we've seen Kate/William express public displays of affection (touching each other, even hugging).

Harry and Meghan appear to be even more open about hand holding, touching each other etc.

LaRae
Old 04-04-2018, 05:35 PM
Nobility

Its not possible to change what happened and i think we can discuss several weeks what happened, how it happened, why everyone did what they did or do they like each other or not. Im afraid what will happen now, Letizia seems to be something like most hated women in spain and i doubt they are able to change it in a few months. Im not sure its better if both Queens shown together or not. Maybe the Portugal state visit would be an ocassion for both queens ( historic-family relation to portugal, the 80th birthday and this scandal) and if sofia will not attend maybe Letizia could show she is still ok with sofia if she wears some jewels of Q.Sofia like the ruby bandeau, her wedding necklace or something important for sofia. Maybe not the right topic but i think casareal has to change alot in the future, more presence for Leonor and Infanta Sofia and less for JC & Sofia (but they should attend important events like state visits)!
Old 04-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Hmmm well maybe not the older members of the BRF but we've seen Kate/William express public displays of affection (touching each other, even hugging).
That hardly ever happens, though. It's not common at all.

Quote:
Harry and Meghan appear to be even more open about hand holding, touching each other etc.
Even Harry and Meghan are discreet by Spanish standards. They wouldn't even consider cheek kissing in public.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

I think we will see pictures of Letizia and Sofia together soon, probably something "private" with the girls. The Palace PR people will be keen to get better optics asap.

If Letizia has a problem with Sofia she needs to find a better way to deal with it, she is a Queen and that is her job so suck it up Letizia and at least pretend to get on with your mother-in-law in all public appearances.

IMO Sofia didn't do much wrong apart from act like a typical grandmother - I can't be the only one who's been pulled in to photos or awkward embraces by grandparents or great aunties during their childhood. If the issue that the girls are uncomfortable with it then Letizia needs to teach them how to say "no thank you granny" rather than helicopter parent them every minute.

And if the issue Letizia has with Sofia is her support for Cristina then the irony is just too much. Letizia has shown she'll do anything to protect her two daughters and her judging Sofia for standing by her own daughter is ironic. (And I can't stand Cristina, I'm just saying!)
Old 04-04-2018, 05:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Rose View Post
Its not possible to change what happened and i think we can discuss several weeks what happened, how it happened, why everyone did what they did or do they like each other or not. Im afraid what will happen now, Letizia seems to be something like most hated women in spain and i doubt they are able to change it in a few months. Im not sure its better if both Queens shown together or not. Maybe the Portugal state visit would be an ocassion for both queens ( historic-family relation to portugal, the 80th birthday and this scandal) and if sofia will not attend maybe Letizia could show she is still ok with sofia if she wears some jewels of Q.Sofia like the ruby bandeau, her wedding necklace or something important for sofia. Maybe not the right topic but i think casareal has to change alot in the future, more presence for Leonor and Infanta Sofia and less for JC & Sofia (but they should attend important events like state visits)!
I'm afraid that won't be convincing enough.

How about an outing with Sofia and Leonor alone with their grandparents? So that people can see that there are no problems between Queen Sofia and Leonor in particular.
As for the two Queens, that PR-ship has sailed and won't be back for years. Now IMO it's about putting the relationship with the children in a more positive light.
Fortunately children are terrible hypocrites. If a twelve year old don't like being touched, especially by a particular person, it's almost impossible for them to hide it.

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar