The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2018, 02:08 PM
Courtier

Ok, now that video adds a very interesting detail. There's one camera (video) guy not playing by the rules and getting up in their faces rather than staying in the designated area. Security are working to make him move--trying to forcefully move him without making a scene. Letizia and Felipe are trying to ignore the camera guy, not give him what he wants.

Sofia's attempt to pose with the girls was for him--he was the only camera in that direction that she could possibly have seen, given how close he was and that they were still not all the way out of the covered area and into the opening where the press were cordoned off. Maybe Sofia didn't realize he was breaking the rules; maybe she isn't as bothered by a camera guy breaking away and getting too close, maybe her posing was just automatic and not thought through at all.

Either way, given what we can see in this video, I don't think Letizia's action was about Sofia at all but rather about ruining the shot for the one member of the press who was ignoring their rules and trying to make sure he didn't set a precedent for photographers and videographers to challenge security and get closer to the girls than they're supposed to be.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Heir Apparent

The photographer with them is the official photographer of the Royal House, that's why he's so close.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Courtier

Has Marie-Chantal's tweet been removed? I just checked her account.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
The photographer with them is the official photographer of the Royal House, that's why he's so close.
Are you sure? They weren't just guiding him to walk backwards, they seemed to be tugging on him to get him away.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:20 PM
Courtier

Is this picture authentic? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ4mKP5XcAA0oEM.jpg

I'll clearly delete the post if it isn't.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it is, and IIRIC Letizia was pointing where to place the purses.

*She writes as she rolls her eyes to the back of her head for the fifth time today*
Old 04-04-2018, 02:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can’t say who was right or wrong as I wasn’t there but one thing I did notice was that it seems that Queen Sofia only relinquished her hold on the two girls when her son has a quiet word!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
This has been the interpretation put upon Letizia walking in front of the threesome back-and-forth. However, it is clear that Letizia walks back-and-forth for quite other reasons than Sofia being with the children. I'm not sure why it keeps getting repeated that Letizia was trying to stop the picture? Can anyone explain?

BTW I notice that a common action from the adults is to touch the hair of the girls. This may be a nervous gesture (like a woman touching her own hair), or it could be a way of getting the child's full attention when about to give them instructions, though it may also be a comforting gesture for the girls (they do seem to expect it and glow when so touched). I don't see it as controlling in the least, and both Sofia and Letizia (and I think Felipe) do this gesture.
It’s not the walking back and forth that’s problematic, IMO. At least the first time Letizia crosses over I don’t think she knows what’s happening. But later in the video when she’s stopped and is interacting with her daughters and mother in law she clearly doesn’t want the photo to happen. And I think the friend who gave the interview at least tacitly acknowledges that’s what was happening by talking about Letizia’s concern for who photographs her daughters and her concern for their image. If there was another explanation for what happened I would hope the royal house would be smart enough to have put it out there by now. And if there was another explanation I think Sofia herself would have somehow made it known - this is a woman who’s spent her entire adult life working for the good of the Spanish Crown; I don’t think she’d let things turn into the firestorm they have if she could speak to a trusted member of the press even off the record and clear things up. Especially since the incident is affecting people’s perception of Leonor.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yes, he who took these photos (which are at the website of Casa Real) only a moment before queen Sofia decided that she wanted to pose with her granddaughters.
http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Listas...0180401_06.jpg
http://www.casareal.es/sitios/Listas...0180401_07.jpg
Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Yes, he who took these photos (which are at the website of Casa Real) only a moment before queen Sofia decided that she wanted to pose with her granddaughters.
Which adds to the nonsense of the sitution. Why wouldn't Letizia want him to take a picture that they decide if can or not be published?

The whole thing is surreal.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Serene Highness

This is the last thing any RF needs, but more so the Spanish RF. Just extremely unfortunate all in all. I have always liked Queen Letizia, there's little difference between her and the other Spanish mothers I see everyday with their kids. (My impression of her only changed a bit when my boss' wife said that during a reception, she was disappointed in how the Queen shook her hand but didn't meet her in the eye while doing so, like she was distracted and displayed no warmth. But King Felipe apparently exuded warmth, looked you right in the eye and made you feel important. Also, she and my boss were both shocked how much stronger Letizia's handshake was compared to Felipe ) Anyway, despite this, I still dont understand how she is largely blamed for what happened.

I also was a fan of Queen Sofia until this incident. She let her ego get in the way, thus creating this horrible situation. Honestly, first few times I viewed the clips, I thought she looked drunk :/

And Marie-Chantal, geesh. Shut up. You're just Regina George all grown up.
(Has any of the Borbon girls ever worn anything from her clothing line?)

Agree with the poster who said Sofia the younger has been largely ignored in all this--a blessing in disguise for her and the adults need to lay off Leonor as everybody seems to have her in a literal and figurative chokehold. Nobody wants a rebellious teen as future queen and thats likely to happen with the controlling adults around her.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I disagree. The late Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Fabiola, Princess Beatrix, Queen Paola, they remain(ed) forefront figures and were (are) treated with all égards. This is not just a granny. This is Queen Sofía. This formidable lady has not endured Franco's dictatorship, the colonels in Greece, the military coup in Spain and her husband's eccentrics to get such a reaction in public, right aftet Easter Mass in the middle of Palma and in front of all and everyone.

The baffled reactions of Don Juan Carlos and Don Felipe said enough.
Wrong DeP, Queen Sofia is first and foremost a *Grandmother* and last a *Former Queen of Spain*, she of all should know that the mother of any child comes first as she was a mother of young children once. I believe that Queen Sofia had her arm to tight around Lenore's neck and that is why Lenore pushed it away, this is a family spat which got out of control in the public eye.

Now one thing, just because someone is *Born with Blue Blood* so to speak does not make they right in all situations. Being royal does not make anyone better then their neighbor or family member, it is how you treat others that you gain respect from anyone, not a title or money or power or the so called Blue Blood that is suppose to be above all else in this world. Your I believe someone who knows history well those with Blue Blood sure have messed up lives and countries in the history of royals as we all can read in the books out there.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
This has been the interpretation put upon Letizia walking in front of the threesome back-and-forth. However, it is clear that Letizia walks back-and-forth for quite other reasons than Sofia being with the children. I'm not sure why it keeps getting repeated that Letizia was trying to stop the picture? Can anyone explain?
I'll try but of course it's based on interpretation. Queen Letizia was trying to get to Queen Sofia and her daughters. Her crossing over and half-heartedly shaking one hand was a smoke screen, she has already started turning her body towards Sofia and the girls while the parishioner still has her hand. If her intention was to shake hands with the parishioners on that side, she would have remained in that area, instead she quickly shakes one hand and then goes over and stands in front of Sofia and her daughters.

Quote:
BTW I notice that a common action from the adults is to touch the hair of the girls. This may be a nervous gesture (like a woman touching her own hair), or it could be a way of getting the child's full attention when about to give them instructions, though it may also be a comforting gesture for the girls (they do seem to expect it and glow when so touched). I don't see it as controlling in the least, and both Sofia and Letizia (and I think Felipe) do this gesture.
In the past I have seen the hair touching and other tactile gestures as a form of control or as a ploy of some sort. I don't want to make it seem too nefarious, Letizia could be making sure her daughters are OK, giving them a word or encouragement, a compliment and whatnot. But it can also be a PR / image conscious way to communicate instructions or reinforce a directive. I think that you or someone else said that Sofia's response came out of nowhere, I actually think that Sofia was "standing her ground" to continue doing what she was trying to do which was get her picture taken with her granddaughters.

So it looks like to me that Letizia was trying to be controlling and Sofia was not having it. As someone else mentioned, I don't see why Letizia felt the need to control the situation, but at the same time Sofia was too forceful in her resistance to Letizia trying to re-direct things IMO.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
This is the last thing any RF needs, but more so the Spanish RF. Just extremely unfortunate all in all. I have always liked Queen Letizia, there's little difference between her and the other Spanish mothers I see everyday with their kids. (My impression of her only changed a bit when my boss' wife said that during a reception, she was disappointed in how the Queen shook her hand but didn't meet her in the eye while doing so, like she was distracted and displayed no warmth. But King Felipe apparently exuded warmth, looked you right in the eye and made you feel important. Also, she and my boss were both shocked how much stronger Letizia's handshake was compared to Felipe ) Anyway, despite this, I still dont understand how she is largely blamed for what happened.

I also was a fan of Queen Sofia until this incident. She let her ego get in the way, thus creating this horrible situation. Honestly, first few times I viewed the clips, I thought she looked drunk :/

And Marie-Chantal, geesh. Shut up. You're just Regina George all grown up.
(Has any of the Borbon girls ever worn anything from her clothing line?)

Agree with the poster who said Sofia the younger has been largely ignored in all this--a blessing in disguise for her and the adults need to lay off Leonor as everybody seems to have her in a literal and figurative chokehold. Nobody wants a rebellious teen as future queen and thats likely to happen with the controlling adults around her.
I always hated when the British royals puts more favor to the heirs. Its not right. But I do not think Leonor will become rebellious. She seems more mature for her age.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The photographs outside the cathedral after Mass did not portray what elements of the media were reporting,the photos I have seen did not look like the aftermath of some heated incident but in fact looked warm and friendly.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Respectfully disagree. Beatrix has very much stepped away from the spotlight to make way for her son and daughter-in-law.

I agree with you Lady Nimue. I fail to see how this should reflect badly on Letizia when it's Sophia who practically has Leonor in a chokehold.
I very much agree with you and Lady Nimue for Queen Sofia did have Lenore in a *choke-hold* and it was probably getting very uncomfortable for her. Maybe Queen Sofia did not realize just how tight she was holding Lenore by putting her arm around the neck for after all Lenore is still a child, not a young adult yet. I saw Queen Sofia pulling her around with her arm around her neck like a rag doll....no wonder Lenore pushed her arm away and then Queen Letizia went over to check on her daughter which in turn made Queen Sofia put her arm around Lenore's neck even tighter.......family spat and stop the blame game on Letizia for after all she is the MOTHER of these girls, not Sofia or anyone else. Sofia needs to learn her place in this family, she is not the mother, just a grandmother who is acting like she is the one in control of the family.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Are you sure? They weren't just guiding him to walk backwards, they seemed to be tugging on him to get him away.
It's impossible that he was anything other than an "invited" or official video/photographer. Otherwise, the rest of the press would have done absolutely the same and got closer. Security is just keeping distance.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes, it is, and IIRIC Letizia was pointing where to place the purses.
Phew...
Also, the *eye rolling" is unnecessary, thank you. We're all entitled to our opinions. I asked a question, and you answered.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Interesting!
Old 04-04-2018, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Which adds to the nonsense of the sitution. Why wouldn't Letizia want him to take a picture that they decide if can or not be published?

The whole thing is surreal.
Because she doesn't want her mother-in-law to upstage her, grab all the attention and monopolize her daughters?

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar