The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #561  
Old 04-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Alisa's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
On these occasions I always remember Jaime de Marichalar, and I almost regret that he is such a discreet man ... because he would probably give many clues. It is known that he had a bad opinion of Iñaki, and that he appreciated Letizia. I have always thought that if Elena had not divorced Jaime, and fallen under the influence of Cristina and Iñaki, the family dynamics would have been different.

Perhaps it is too coincidental that these images have appeared just the day that Cristina was reunited with the family, and when in a short time the judicial future of Iñaki will be known.

Felipe and Letizia are alone in defense of the Crown and what others have destroyed ... and it is not the first time in recent months that there are attacks, especially against Letizia, to clear the way to Cristina.

It is really difficult to know if this video is recorded by an unknown person (the media were many meters away and they were surrounded by bodyguards), or it is a manipulation of the official video, to erase the people around and sell a story.

Watching the videos in wider planes, knowing the people that were around ... the only surprising thing is an overwhelmed girl ... the rest are interested judgments ...
But this video has nothing to do with Cristina and Iñaki. The key players are Leonor, Sofia, and Letizia.
After watching multiple videos it is Letizia who appears to come off as the aggressor by standing in front of Queen Sofia and the girls and blocking their path.
This is not a good look.
Perhaps Letizia did not want the girls to be photographed with their grandmother or to be used as "props" but there should have been another way to say that than this way.
__________________

__________________
Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt. ---Phaedrus
Reply With Quote
  #562  
Old 04-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Zaira's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: A, United States
Posts: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
The version you've posted makes it clear that Letizia wasn't trying to get in front of them so much as she walked in front of them, then realized that Sofia had grabbed the girls. How I'd interpret what happened next was that she went over to check in to see if her daughter was ok.

With that said, I've slowed down the video on Youtube, and it's quite clear that, as Letizia is running her hand down Leonor's hair, Sofia reaches up to push Letizia's hand away, at which point Leonor pushed them both away. And then Sofia grabbed Leonor more tightly, closer to her neck and dragged her to their left.

Letizia respected her daughter's boundries and didn't try to touch her again.

Sofia's actions were not ok, especially that second grab and pull after Leonor had made her feelings known.

I didn't have any opinions about Sofia before this, but I'm deeply unimpressed with her behaviour in this video.
Agreed. IMO, Sofia was totally out of line. If my MIL pushed my hand away like that from MY daughter I would be livid.

We can't see Letizia's face, but her body language showed to me that she was check in on her daughter's and than tried to de-escalate the situation after Sofia reacted so strongly.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #563  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:18 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Green Bay, United States
Posts: 617
Queen Sophia of Spain is supposed to be the Dowager Queen, but she oversteps the boundaries and tries to be in charge. Not the first time she did it.
Reply With Quote
  #564  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel View Post
The version you've posted makes it clear that Letizia wasn't trying to get in front of them so much as she walked in front of them, then realized that Sofia had grabbed the girls. How I'd interpret what happened next was that she went over to check in to see if her daughter was ok.

With that said, I've slowed down the video on Youtube, and it's quite clear that, as Letizia is running her hand down Leonor's hair, Sofia reaches up to push Letizia's hand away, at which point Leonor pushed them both away. And then Sofia grabbed Leonor more tightly, closer to her neck and dragged her to their left.

Letizia respected her daughter's boundries and didn't try to touch her again.

Sofia's actions were not ok, especially that second grab and pull after Leonor had made her feelings known.

I didn't have any opinions about Sofia before this, but I'm deeply unimpressed with her behaviour in this video.
Excellent analysis. I saw the same thing, especially that grab and pull by the neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
Agreed. IMO, Sofia was totally out of line. If my MIL pushed my hand away like that from MY daughter I would be livid.

We can't see Letizia's face, but her body language showed to me that she was check in on her daughter's and than tried to de-escalate the situation after Sofia reacted so strongly.
Agree 100%.

I have a hunch: that royal families agree beforehand how they will exit a church, or position themselves on a balcony. It's all done beforehand. Makes sense. (One sees the careful jockeying by the millimeter with the BRF at their balcony events). Letizia was turning and I think she expected the girls to be in a particular position. They weren't and so it went from there. It seems like Sofia wanted to exit the church with the girls flanking her. Might have been a surprise to Letizia, we'll never know.

Posters have remarked how 'young' Leonor seems. She's 12 and while I will never claim to be an expert, I am dealing with a 12 year old step-daughter. They are not the easiest and Leonor was being what a 12 year old girl can be. It's the intrusive camera/cameraperson that was at fault, not the girl (the future Queen) or even Sofia (the Dowager Queen) imo.

I think both the 12 year old and the aging former Queen need to be cut some slack, and for sure the mother. It's hard enough! JMO.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #565  
Old 04-03-2018, 10:36 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: toronto, Canada
Posts: 358
It looks to me like Letizia goes in front of the girls to shake someones hand on the other side of the aisle. Then she goes to her girls and Sophia at this point has a tussle with Leonor. Are we sure that that really was MC's twitter acct, as I follow her on instagram and she never responds to comments.
Reply With Quote
  #566  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:13 PM
Frelinghighness's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New England, United States
Posts: 5,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
All is out of context. Letizia is talking with somebody, then she went with Leonor and Queen Sofia. Leonor is nervous, her grandma is hugging her and she doesn't want, she is 12 and almost is an adolescent, her mother is fixing her hair, she says stop to them. The video is not the real one, there is another video and show another version of this story, the one of twitter is a version cropped and zoomed. They are walking outside of the church, greeting people, saying goodbye and go for the photoshoot, both Queens smile, Leonor smile, they said goodbye to the priests and then go back to Marivent or another place, only they know. There is a footage on the same video of Queen Sofia forcing Infanta Sofia to pose with the photo, she forces her granddaughter to turn back when she was talking with other person. But Leonor is almost a woman and she is in that age where all children don't want any hug, or kiss.... all people have passed this confusing transition.
I agree with your interpretation. This is such a big deal out of nothing. Leonor didn’t want to be touched or hugged, I remember when my children felt this way, when they are coming into their own and not children anymore. The grandparents are oblivious, the parents aren’t, it is not a big thing. Queen Sofia and Letitia have always had a good relationship, Queen Sofia would insist upon it.
Reply With Quote
  #567  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:42 PM
LadyFinn's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southwest, Finland
Posts: 31,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
From this video we see it from another perspective, the press wasn't close to them, the photographers were meters away.
I think that the only photographer that was there is the official photographer of the House of the King. So why was Queen Sofía trying to pose with her granddaughters to him, is was odd. Letizia went to greet a woman, she probably didn't even notice the photographer because he is always with her and Felipe taking photos and videos. Letizia knew that the photographers could take photos of them all outside the church. Then Letizia checked that her daughters are ok, and touched Leonor's hair as she often does to her girls. I also think that queen Sofia grabbed the girls too tightly. And Marie Chantal should not have commented this at all (she has even posted a photo with a text "Happy grandparents! Family is what it’s all about").
Reply With Quote
  #568  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:43 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Agree with you both! This is not big deal imo. Totally understand what's going on with Leonor.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #569  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:51 PM
Missy-'s Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Beautiful PNW, United States
Posts: 526
I don't want to offend any Letizia fans, but to me she was totally out of line in her reaction to Sofia being photographed with the girls. And the scene of them leaving the cathedral was even more shocking! There is no reason for such aggressive and rude behavior, and to make the girls uncomfortable like that is not okay. Letizia obviously wants it to be clear she is the one and only queen IMO
Reply With Quote
  #570  
Old 04-04-2018, 12:02 AM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades CA, United States
Posts: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy- View Post
I don't want to offend any Letizia fans, but to me she was totally out of line in her reaction to Sofia being photographed with the girls. And the scene of them leaving the cathedral was even more shocking! There is no reason for such aggressive and rude behavior, and to make the girls uncomfortable like that is not okay. Letizia obviously wants it to be clear she is the one and only queen IMO
It wasn't Letizia being aggressive. Sofia it was who pulled at the girls. It's very clear. We can only see Sofia's reaction, we cannot see Letizia's reaction. It looks like the grandmother was causing the discomfort, not the mother (look at how Leonor consults with her mother as they emerge from the church and how the interactions with the grandmother are made amiable by Letizia). Nothing to do with 'queenship' I think. IMO. More to do with human dynamics, age and all that.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #571  
Old 04-04-2018, 12:09 AM
leidi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ...., United Arab Emirates
Posts: 943
Twitter Spain is SLAUGHTERING Letizia, she's not very liked and virtually everyone respects Queen Sofía, so things are not looking good for her in the PR department tbh.
She's perceived as lazy, as if she lacks dedication to the Crown, as an overbearing mother that doesn't allow her daughters to interact with the royal side but only with her own family.
Not good at all.
And no, this doesn't have to do anything with Cristina or Iñaki, this family has been broken for a long time and the fact that the former King and Queen haven't been able to fully retire and have to show up for nearly everything is a proof that the current ones are not up to the task yet, which is terrible for Spain's stability.
Reply With Quote
  #572  
Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 AM
Missy-'s Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: The Beautiful PNW, United States
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
It wasn't Letizia being aggressive. Sofia it was who pulled at the girls. It's very clear. We can only see Sofia's reaction, we cannot see Letizia's reaction. It looks like the grandmother was causing the discomfort, not the mother (look at how Leonor consults with her mother as they emerge from the church and how the interactions with the grandmother are made amiable by Letizia). Nothing to do with 'queenship' I think. IMO. More to do with human dynamics, age and all that.
I don't agree, especially in the footage of them leaving the cathedral when it is plain to see Letizia is stalking Sofia and not letting her walk forward. Very aggressive indeed. IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #573  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:06 AM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: maidstone, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,189
Footage shows 'tense scene' between Letizia of Spain and Queen Sofia during their Easter service | Daily Mail Online

wow! definitely is something going on! the video wonder what the heck was going on there?
__________________
Ashelen
Reply With Quote
  #574  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:18 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
Twitter Spain is SLAUGHTERING Letizia, she's not very liked and virtually everyone respects Queen Sofía, so things are not looking good for her in the PR department tbh.
She's perceived as lazy, as if she lacks dedication to the Crown, as an overbearing mother that doesn't allow her daughters to interact with the royal side but only with her own family.
Not good at all.
And no, this doesn't have to do anything with Cristina or Iñaki, this family has been broken for a long time and the fact that the former King and Queen haven't been able to fully retire and have to show up for nearly everything is a proof that the current ones are not up to the task yet, which is terrible for Spain's stability.
Wow did not know all of this. I the UK media I thought Letizia is perceived as popular Queen who is hardworking.
I do too wonder why Juan Carlos and Sofia have not retired yet as well. Felipe and Letizia have made the monarchy much more popular though.
Reply With Quote
  #575  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:35 AM
leidi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ...., United Arab Emirates
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Wow did not know all of this. I the UK media I thought Letizia is perceived as popular Queen who is hardworking.
I do too wonder why Juan Carlos and Sofia have not retired yet as well. Felipe and Letizia have made the monarchy much more popular though.
No, the popular ones are Juan Carlos and Sofía, despite his infidelities and stuff.
Felipe is seen as a guy who was asked only one thing: to marry well (and I don't mean royalty or even nobility) and he failed to do so in many of our eyes (I'm Spanish).
Letizia has a terrible image in Spain, people dislike her intensely for the reasons I posted above, people hate that the girls are so kept away from the public, that they no longer spend long seasons in Mallorca (in a palace we all pay for, if they don't want to use it, open it to the public then), that we never know where they are on holiday whenever they leave Spain, everything about them is secrecy and it clashes horribly with the pretty open style Juan Carlos and Sofía had with their children, I grew up seeing pictures of them at school, with their friends, in holidays, etc.
The latest video of them eating and stuff was terrible, so rehearsed, not natural at all, seems like everyone had learned a script and people cringed and laughed at it.
They don't really do much besides curtain pulling, you rarely see Letizia alone in trips abroad, she doesn't actively work in international organizations like many of her queen/princess peers, Felipe is often called a "calzonazos" (a wimp controlled by his wife) because people perceive he's not the one calling the shots and that's terrible for someone who represents Spain's unity in this period of turmoil with the Catalan issue.
Reply With Quote
  #576  
Old 04-04-2018, 01:43 AM
W.Y.CII's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 。, Hong Kong
Posts: 911
One short odd scene can't really tell their relationship. Honestly I don't think Sofia and Letizia have a very good or very bad relationship, they have a “colleague-like” relationship, not very close but still okay to stay together.

And MC, I don't know why she comment it publicly and what make her think she must comment about this. It's like she is fussing something which is none of her business.
Reply With Quote
  #577  
Old 04-04-2018, 02:28 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
No, the popular ones are Juan Carlos and Sofía, despite his infidelities and st
Obviously you detect Felipe and Letizia very much. No matter what you think of Letizia, Felipe is extremely popular in Spain now, much more so than his father now. This year JC and Sofia celebrate their 80th birthday, their series of acts are part of their birthday celebration, not that Felipe and Letizia need them to pump up their image. It's more of help JC rebuilding his image, have more people remember what he had done for Spain. After this year, I think JC likely will retire for good, continue enjoy his private traveling and gourmet good.
Reply With Quote
  #578  
Old 04-04-2018, 02:32 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
No, the popular ones are Juan Carlos and Sofía, despite his infidelities and stuff.
Felipe is seen as a guy who was asked only one thing: to marry well (and I don't mean royalty or even nobility) and he failed to do so in many of our eyes (I'm Spanish).
Letizia has a terrible image in Spain, people dislike her intensely for the reasons I posted above, people hate that the girls are so kept away from the public, that they no longer spend long seasons in Mallorca (in a palace we all pay for, if they don't want to use it, open it to the public then), that we never know where they are on holiday whenever they leave Spain, everything about them is secrecy and it clashes horribly with the pretty open style Juan Carlos and Sofía had with their children, I grew up seeing pictures of them at school, with their friends, in holidays, etc.
The latest video of them eating and stuff was terrible, so rehearsed, not natural at all, seems like everyone had learned a script and people cringed and laughed at it.
They don't really do much besides curtain pulling, you rarely see Letizia alone in trips abroad, she doesn't actively work in international organizations like many of her queen/princess peers, Felipe is often called a "calzonazos" (a wimp controlled by his wife) because people perceive he's not the one calling the shots and that's terrible for someone who represents Spain's unity in this period of turmoil with the Catalan issue.
Wow very insightful. I guess I had a different point of view because I am not from Spain. I did not know she rarely works. I always assumed from articles I see on DM that she is a hardworker. So the Spanish people do not respect her? Do they respect Felipe as King? I always assumed since he ascended the throne he has made the monarchy more popular which i agree with. I have heard about Mallorca. Its a wonderful place and the palace is beautiful such a shame Letizia hates it so much. Maybe because its all work duties while on vacation? Sucks that the girls aren't shown enough. I know they want to protect them, but they need to esp Leonor needs to get used to the publicity and know her people well. What do you see the Spanish monarchy looking like in the long run?
Reply With Quote
  #579  
Old 04-04-2018, 02:33 AM
Tarlita's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Near Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,231
It looked to me that Sofia was trying to get herself photographed with the two girls. Then Letitia steps in front ruining the shot. So Sofia tries to get Leonore to stay so that the photographer can get another shot. Leonore had enough and wanted to move away. That's how it looked to me.
Reply With Quote
  #580  
Old 04-04-2018, 02:45 AM
leidi's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: ...., United Arab Emirates
Posts: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty1224 View Post
Wow very insightful. I guess I had a different point of view because I am not from Spain. I did not know she rarely works. I always assumed from articles I see on DM that she is a hardworker. So the Spanish people do not respect her? Do they respect Felipe as King? I always assumed since he ascended the throne he has made the monarchy more popular which i agree with. I have heard about Mallorca. Its a wonderful place and the palace is beautiful such a shame Letizia hates it so much. Maybe because its all work duties while on vacation? Sucks that the girls aren't shown enough. I know they want to protect them, but they need to esp Leonor needs to get used to the publicity and know her people well. What do you see the Spanish monarchy looking like in the long run?
Spain is terribly fractured in a political level right now and we need more than ever a strong King, a united Royal family.

And that's not happening.

The problem is that everyone blames Letizia because the family truly broke since she came along, it is probably not only due to her but she's the scapegoat that doesn't help her own cause, because people say she's a 8-5 Queen, that she doesn't want to do anything on weekends, that she takes too many holidays, that she keeps her family at the palace, etc.

Not good at all.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aristocracy, felipe vi, froilán de marichalar, juan carlos, juan urdangarín, miguel urdangarin, monarchy, pablo urdangarín, queen sofia, relationships, sofia (1938 -), spain, spanish royal family, victoria de marichalar


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family Ava Elizabeth British Royals 1790 05-23-2021 10:39 PM
Relationships between members of the Norwegian royal family. Dennism Royal House of Norway 89 08-19-2020 01:16 PM
Relationships between the Members of the Danish Royal Family jellybeans Royal House of Denmark 329 11-26-2019 05:24 PM
Relationships between members of the Princely Family michelle Princely Family of Monaco 324 08-11-2018 02:22 AM
Diana's Relationships with The Queen and Other Members of the Royal Family Beck Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 696 09-29-2017 08:33 PM




Popular Tags
abu dhabi america american history archie mountbatten-windsor baby names background story biography birth britain britannia british royal family buckingham palace camilla camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles china china chinese ming dynasty asia asian emperor royalty qing clarence house commonwealth countries countess of snowdon cpr daisy doge of venice doll duchess of sussex duke of cambridge duke of sussex edward vii elizabeth ii family life fashion and style george vi hello! hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume hypothetical monarchs imperial household jack brooksbank japan jewellery kensington palace king willem-alexander książ castle list of rulers mountbatten names nepal nepalese royal family nepalese royal jewels plantinum jubilee prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess ariane princess catharina-amalia princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien queen louise queen maxima resusci anne royal ancestry solomon j solomon spain speech suthida taiwan thailand united states of america wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×