Relationships between Members of the Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The good thing about the BRF is that they don't do public displays of affection so controversies of this sort never happen.

Do we even know if Letizia stayed at the Marivent Palace ,she could have flown back to Madrid after Mass on Easter Sunday.

I recall there were tabloid stories last summer of an incident between Letizia and Sofia also in Palma de Mallorca.

So she should adhere to stereotypical qualities of womanhood in order to qualify as likeable in Spain? :ermm:

Oh please, let's not get into the feminist discourse, here. Being "domineering" and "forceful" is not a good thing within a family whether you're a man or a woman.

If the only 'proof' of her domineering personality is Letizia touching her daughters, I'm not convinced.

Pointing fingers are never a good thing and I'm afraid Queen Letizia is guilty of that! I'm grateful to my mother who taught me never to point in public because it could be misinterpreted, even if you point at a place or a thing. Someone nearby could think otherwise...?

Last edited:
Oh please, let's not get into the feminist discourse, here. Being "domineering" and "forceful" is not a good thing within a family whether you're a man or a woman.

BINGO! :previous:

If the only 'proof' of her domineering personality is Letizia touching her daughters, I'm not convinced.

There has been numerous instances of her being "rude" or too "forceful", starting with the infamous "let me finish" at their engagement presser.

People don't dislike Letizia because she's a commoner, they actually hated Marichalar far much more at one point, the issue here is that she comes out as terribly forceful (and not in a good way), as a domineering personality that doesn't add to the Crown.

So let's not start with the "oh poor victim" thing because that's not true.

Letizia simply hasn't earned respect or being liked, not enough to make sure that things aren't always blamed on her.

I can agree to this, she simply doesn't come off as warm and sincere, especially when side by side with her husband whose eyes crinkle at the sides when he smiles, stands tall and just looks like anybody's idea of a 21st century king. I saw them during FITUR, he has the warmest smile while she appears stiff and haughty. They do differ greatly, enough to make one wonder how they get along. But the possibility of having unsupportive in-laws and being domineering are not mutually exclusive, pretty sure the truth is complex and has bits and pieces of our observations.:flowers:

Posting pics as proof, cos I do understand I may sound like I make things up :lol:?

Attachments

• IMG_8312.jpg
    IMG_8312.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
https://www.huffingtonpost.es/2018/...-entre-las-reinas-letizia-y-sofia_a_23403091/

Pilar Eyre predicts that we will have pics of Queen Sofía with the little Infantas in the circus or at the movies or having an ice cream to try to difuse the situation.

That would be a pretty good PR move tho.

I can agree to this, she simply doesn't come off as warm and sincere, especially when side by side with her husband whose eyes crinkle at the sides when he smiles, stands tall and just looks like anybody's idea of a 21st century king. I saw them during FITUR, he has the warmest smile while she appears stiff and haughty. They do differ greatly, enough to make one wonder how they get along. But the possibility of having unsupportive in-laws and being domineering are not mutually exclusive, pretty sure the truth is complex and has bits and pieces of our observations.:flowers:

Posting pics as proof, cos I do understand I may sound like I make things up :lol:?

Exactly, she's like always acting, maybe in her mind she's still a tv presenter repeating the words and the attitudes fed to her? And not exactly doing a good work out of it, the only times where she doesn't seem forced is when she's making speeches.

Last edited:
Social media has been absolutely vicious, calling poor Leonor "maleducada." People are horrible.

Doesn't that basically mean rude or not polite?

LaRae

For those of us who are Spanish-challenged and don't trust Google translate that much, could someone please give us a summary in English? ?

Translation of the quotes in a different article.

"she is preoccupied and quite desolate because the queen is very committed to the protection of her image and that of her daughters."

What happened was "just silly" and "a natural gesture".

In one of the other articles about this 'friend's' comments it included the earlier stated complain that Letizia has always been treated unfairly as the was judged more harshly from the moment of her engagement. And it also seemed to imply that Letizia couldn't help it because she wasn't prepared all her life for this role?! (trying to find the exact quote as it still doesn't make sense to me)

Duke, Sofia has always been very controlling, and the press has never criticized her for it because it benefited them. She always organized the photos with her grandchildren and in many occasions she called Hola to be photographed in her outings with them. Even in her own leisure events she often notifies the press. It is very strange that she is photographed in Madrid by the paparazzi doing something normal.

The viral attacks against Letizia are cyclists, generally coincide with the holidays (revenge of the gossip press because they do not say where they are going), or with critical moments when Letizia is very useful to cover other scandals. :D

Today Sofia is a saint ... but if when Urdanarín is sent to prison, she will support him or say something to defend him ... people will not say anything nice about her. And then Letizia will be the good one because she did not approve Iñaki's activities. Things change for days or weeks, this is not very rational.

there have been many situations when he seemed to be walking on eggshells since 2004, torn between his family and his wife. Letizia has been thrown under the bus many, many times unable to defend herself with the public watching.
I think that Letizia had to put up with a lot and Felipe has never publicly defended her with regard to the tabloid gossip or family pressure, that must have been difficult on the marriage.
How is this bad for the institution and its future though? I mean everyone will forget about this.

The good thing about the BRF is that they don't do public displays of affection so controversies of this sort never happen.

Hmmm well maybe not the older members of the BRF but we've seen Kate/William express public displays of affection (touching each other, even hugging).

Harry and Meghan appear to be even more open about hand holding, touching each other etc.

LaRae

Its not possible to change what happened and i think we can discuss several weeks what happened, how it happened, why everyone did what they did or do they like each other or not. Im afraid what will happen now, Letizia seems to be something like most hated women in spain and i doubt they are able to change it in a few months. Im not sure its better if both Queens shown together or not. Maybe the Portugal state visit would be an ocassion for both queens ( historic-family relation to portugal, the 80th birthday and this scandal) and if sofia will not attend maybe Letizia could show she is still ok with sofia if she wears some jewels of Q.Sofia like the ruby bandeau, her wedding necklace or something important for sofia. Maybe not the right topic but i think casareal has to change alot in the future, more presence for Leonor and Infanta Sofia and less for JC & Sofia (but they should attend important events like state visits)!

Hmmm well maybe not the older members of the BRF but we've seen Kate/William express public displays of affection (touching each other, even hugging).

That hardly ever happens, though. It's not common at all.

Harry and Meghan appear to be even more open about hand holding, touching each other etc.

Even Harry and Meghan are discreet by Spanish standards. They wouldn't even consider cheek kissing in public.

I think we will see pictures of Letizia and Sofia together soon, probably something "private" with the girls. The Palace PR people will be keen to get better optics asap.

If Letizia has a problem with Sofia she needs to find a better way to deal with it, she is a Queen and that is her job so suck it up Letizia and at least pretend to get on with your mother-in-law in all public appearances.

IMO Sofia didn't do much wrong apart from act like a typical grandmother - I can't be the only one who's been pulled in to photos or awkward embraces by grandparents or great aunties during their childhood. If the issue that the girls are uncomfortable with it then Letizia needs to teach them how to say "no thank you granny" rather than helicopter parent them every minute.

And if the issue Letizia has with Sofia is her support for Cristina then the irony is just too much. Letizia has shown she'll do anything to protect her two daughters and her judging Sofia for standing by her own daughter is ironic. (And I can't stand Cristina, I'm just saying!)

Its not possible to change what happened and i think we can discuss several weeks what happened, how it happened, why everyone did what they did or do they like each other or not. Im afraid what will happen now, Letizia seems to be something like most hated women in spain and i doubt they are able to change it in a few months. Im not sure its better if both Queens shown together or not. Maybe the Portugal state visit would be an ocassion for both queens ( historic-family relation to portugal, the 80th birthday and this scandal) and if sofia will not attend maybe Letizia could show she is still ok with sofia if she wears some jewels of Q.Sofia like the ruby bandeau, her wedding necklace or something important for sofia. Maybe not the right topic but i think casareal has to change alot in the future, more presence for Leonor and Infanta Sofia and less for JC & Sofia (but they should attend important events like state visits)!

I'm afraid that won't be convincing enough. :sad:

How about an outing with Sofia and Leonor alone with their grandparents? So that people can see that there are no problems between Queen Sofia and Leonor in particular.
As for the two Queens, that PR-ship has sailed and won't be back for years. Now IMO it's about putting the relationship with the children in a more positive light.
Fortunately children are terrible hypocrites. If a twelve year old don't like being touched, especially by a particular person, it's almost impossible for them to hide it.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that won't be convincing enough. :sad:

How about an outing with Sofia and Leonor alone with their grandparents? So that people can see that there are no problems between Queen Sofia and Leonor in particular.
As for the two Queens, that PR-ship has sailed and won't be back for years. Now IMO it's about putting the relationship with the children in a more positive light.
Fortunately children are terrible hypocrites. If a twelve year old don't like being touched, especially by a particular person, it's almost impossible for them to hide it.

That's EXACTLY what Pilar Eyre said in the link I pasted in a previous post.

I disagree. The late Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Fabiola, Princess Beatrix, Queen Paola, they remain(ed) forefront figures and were (are) treated with all égards. This is not just a granny. This is Queen Sofía. This formidable lady has not endured Franco's dictatorship, the colonels in Greece, the military coup in Spain and her husband's eccentrics to get such a reaction in public, right aftet Easter Mass in the middle of Palma and in front of all and everyone.

The baffled reactions of Don Juan Carlos and Don Felipe said enough.

There was so disrespectful behavior of Letizia towards Sofia before Sofia pushed Letizia's hand away from Leonor. She might tell Sofia not to pose at the center of the church, nothing wrong either. If Letizia grabbed her two daughters posing like Sofia, Sofia was the one came over to tell them to pose outside instead, everyone would be applauding Sofia's behavior. That's called double standard.
I guess something must be bothering Sofia a lot in her mind (understandable if she worries a alot about Cristina and her children since Inaki is going to jail soon), since she usually was very calm, didn't get so emotional, over-reacting in public.
On MC's tweets, I have never heard there was much interaction between MC and Letizia, they might get to see each other every blue moon. How could she have such a strong opinion on someone she didn't interact much ? Of course Letizia's in-laws were talking behind her back, either Sofia or Cristina or both.

What a nonsense. We have heard nothing from the Spanish royal family. Only from the "classy" commoner Marie-Chantal who blabbed her opinion in a tweet.

Queen Sofía is her husband's aunt. It is very well possible Marie-Chantal had witnessed in very own person how Letizia really is behind the doors. Your blame thay Queen Sofía has talked about Letizia et al is pure speculation on your behalf.

Note that Queen Sofía is known as a Sphinx. She sees all, hears all and her lips are sealed. She once said: Queens have no friends. The only one she is completely open to is her sister Princess Irene, the only person who understands what it is to have lived a life like that of Doña Sofía.

The Crown Princess of Greece hardly "blabbed her opinion in a tweet." Marie-Chantal is the spouse of the heir to King Constantine II, and has been a member of the Greek royal family for far longer than Queen Letizia has been a member of the Spanish royal house. The Royal House of Greece is much more family minded than some other families, and they close ranks when a member is attacked (hence the personal support for Infanta Cristina and her children), so it should come as no surprise that Marie-Chantal reacted the way she did to seeing her aunt treated in such a fashion. The Crown Princess herself is a devoted mother, wife, and daughter; further, she has always treated her parents-in-law, the King and Queen Anne-Marie, with the utmost respect. I find the criticisms of her here to be most misplaced. She *obviously* has witnessed the internal dynamics of the family behind the scenes, she knows what has transpired.

I have gotten the idea that Queen Letizia has over the years first being engaged then married to Felipe and now Queen Consort has built a strong wall, an unbreakable wall around herself, not her daughters but herself simply because of all the backlash that she has had to put up with from not just the media, the trolls of the media, her in/laws and her own family. She has had to somehow protect herself from all the gossip, lies, hate mail, anger directed to wards her for what.......so she was a commoner, aren't we all commoners at one point in life? And what is this that being born royal makes anyone even former Queens or Kings better then anyone else? We all have faults here, yet Queen Sofia is not allowed to have faults because she was born royal? So what if Queen Sofia is her mother/in/law....she of all people with her life as a royal that you do not do this in public ever, she above Queen Letizia knows better yet she reacted badly and yet some here thing she is above that. Well got news for ya, Queen Sofia has her bad points also for she is just like you and me, human with faults like all of us.

I get that brick wall that I feel Queen Letizia has built up and understand if she has done this right where she is coming from.......protecting herself from what has been directed at her with hate, revenge and jealousy by others. NO one is perfect here and to some you would think that Queen Sofia walks on water......well she will sink like we all do and will. Anyhow I am in my own opinion giving Queen Letizia the benefit of the doubt here and no neither is she perfect here.

Yet Queen Sofia supports her son/in/law who is going to jail for being a *CROOK* who stole money to support a very fancy life style while others in Spain suffered because of that and her daughter who was not convicted who no doubt was just as guilty but she is after all a *Born royal daughter of a king* so she does no wrong in this world yet Queen Letizia will get the blame for that entire affair........double standards and hypocrisy is alive loud and clear.........:bang:

In public and videos I've seen they seem respectful children.
Thanks for the clarification. I agree that they seem very respectful in the public eye - from a very early age. I, however, don't attribute that to maturity but to being docile (Leonor slightly more so than Sofia).

A little more 'character' coming through would be nice :flowers:

Those image campaigns does not work in Spain ... if people already see with cynicism the acts of Juan Carlos and Sofia together, adding now the girls would be absolutely absurd .... they would receive even more criticism. Because Juan Carlos and Sofia never do things together with their grandchildren and it would be something totally prepared and without credibility.

It is normal to see Juan Carlos going to restaurants, football, bullfighting ... and living a normal life in Madrid. But in the case of Sofia it is very strange to see her captured by paparazzi making a normal life in the city.

Last edited:
That hardly ever happens, though. It's not common at all.

Even Harry and Meghan are discreet by Spanish standards. They wouldn't even consider cheek kissing in public.

It will all change once The Queen is gone.

The Crown Princess of Greece hardly "blabbed her opinion in a tweet." Marie-Chantal is the spouse of the heir to King Constantine II, and has been a member of the Greek royal family for far longer than Queen Letizia has been a member of the Spanish royal house. The Royal House of Greece is much more family minded than some other families, and they close ranks when a member is attacked (hence the personal support for Infanta Cristina and her children), so it should come as no surprise that Marie-Chantal reacted the way she did to seeing her aunt treated in such a fashion. The Crown Princess herself is a devoted mother, wife, and daughter; further, she has always treated her parents-in-law, the King and Queen Anne-Marie, with the utmost respect. I find the criticisms of her here to be most misplaced. She *obviously* has witnessed the internal dynamics of the family behind the scenes, she knows what has transpired.

Your comment made me laugh, first of all MC does not even know the meaning of being a crown princess, nor has she ever worked at being such......all MC has done in life is *marry an empty title*, it means nothing to anyone for there is NO country that they rule or even work for.

To me, the entire Greek royal family is a sham......they do nothing for the people of Greece what so ever.........MC is all about her picture and mouth in the media circus, her money and her life style and not a woman of substance to be looked up to by her very actions over time. Yes MC married what is called *well* and the heritage is Greek and that is all it is. It is all play acting that MC does for the attention and to benefit other royals not more of any substance.

MC made a huge mistake by that comment for it will backfire on her given time. She would of been better off leaving the situation alone between Queen Letizia and Queen Sofia.

Last edited:
"blabbed her opinion in a tweet.

That is PRECISELY what the 'Crown Princess' of the DEPOSED Throne of the Hellenes did !

About an incident she wasn't there to witness, about people to whom she is [fairly remotely] connected to by marriage.
Whatever her feelings toward the Queen of Spain, had she learned ANYTHING in the course of her time as a 'royal' it is that discretion and privacy is PARAMOUNT.
Her 'Tweet' shows her to be every bit as lacking in class as many have LONG thought her do be..

Back
Top Bottom